Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Calaveron posted:

I can never read any of Darth Vader's dialogue in Darth Vader's voice. It just doesn't sound like something he'd say, at least to me.

It's pretty terrible dialogue yeah. But the whole thing just reads like sad Vader fanfic. Like the prequels

The new EU is basically just the old EU with a bit of paint so this isn't surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Calaveron posted:

I can never read any of Darth Vader's dialogue in Darth Vader's voice. It just doesn't sound like something he'd say, at least to me.

I can agree.

In this day and age, with multitudes of typefaces and digital finesse, you'd think they'd at least push the word balloons/font a bit. Like with Thor or a robot or things like that. It'd at least part-way put you in the mood.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

People desperately trying to make Darth Vader an omnipotent badass made of slick one-liners instead of a whiny turd with no arms or legs, it is pretty loving sad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

People desperately trying to make Darth Vader an omnipotent badass made of slick one-liners instead of a whiny turd with no arms or legs, it is pretty loving sad.

It kind of works either way. That line could be cool, or it can just as easily be Anakin trying REALLY hard to sound cool and hoping his helmet muffles the whine.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Calaveron posted:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

:golfclap:

This could become a genre.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

wiegieman posted:

From Darth Vader 13 and Star Wars 13, Darth Vader has been shot down a Rebel held world while looking for Luke:

The Vader Down storyline is really good.

All I can think of looking at this is "Man, a lot of those rebels are left-handed."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There was this comic I read a couple years back where a bunch of Jedi set a trap for Vader, and he manages to kill a couple and even uses the dark side to make one of them lose his poo poo and kill another dude, but in the end he gets overwhelmed and has to be bailed out by like 50 stormtroopers, because he's still just one man. Then he gets kinda mopey about the emperor spreading rumors about how he single-handedly killed 3x the amount of jedi there actually was.

What I'm saying is I guess Palpatine is writing this schlock.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The less known or done with Vader the better, he's supposed to be Star Wars Oddjob. You just need him to be laconic and deadly but he shouldn't be all mouthy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

There was this comic I read a couple years back where a bunch of Jedi set a trap for Vader, and he manages to kill a couple and even uses the dark side to make one of them lose his poo poo and kill another dude, but in the end he gets overwhelmed and has to be bailed out by like 50 stormtroopers, because he's still just one man. Then he gets kinda mopey about the emperor spreading rumors about how he single-handedly killed 3x the amount of jedi there actually was.

I believe it's Gillen and Aaron. Which kind of proves how hit and miss both are even though everyone seemingly loves everything they write.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've read some Aaron that I didn't love.

I think the major problem isn't the writing itself but the fact that it feels nothing like Star Wars.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Lurdiak posted:

I remember reading that one. It was minorly interesting because it was, in my experience, one of the few times you see 'Palpatine as mentor', that you never really get.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

DoktorVerderben posted:

All I can think of looking at this is "Man, a lot of those rebels are left-handed."

Well rebels are generally pretty sinister :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

thespaceinvader posted:

Well rebels are generally pretty sinister :v:

Oh, so that's what hate flowing through you feels like. :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You people are insane. Don't listen to them lurkers, the new Star Wars comics are extremely good.

X-O posted:

I believe it's Gillen and Aaron. Which kind of proves how hit and miss both are even though everyone seemingly loves everything they write.

What?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No, don't they are basically EU comics with a marvel brand.

They bank on pure nostalgia, nothing more.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The new comics are actually really good, and if you can't see Vader telling an army of rebels that they're utterly screwed that's silly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

The new comics are actually really good, and if you can't see Vader telling an army of rebels that they're utterly screwed that's silly.

He doesn't talk like that, though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
They have good moments like when Vader finds out who Luke is buuut yeah that Vader Down segment is complete fanfic dross.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Y'all could bitch about anything. "My precious Vader would never say that! It's poo poo, all of it"

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 8, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is literally the first thread anywhere I've seen complain about them.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Star Wars fans actually hate anything Star Wars, especially goons.

See: The legions of star wars fans on SA who literally say they think the setting would be better without Jedi/Sith/The Force, which literally means they don't want star wars to be Star Wars.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KittyEmpress posted:

See: The legions of star wars fans on SA who literally say they think the setting would be better without Jedi/Sith/The Force, which literally means they don't want star wars to be Star Wars.

It's not Real Star Wars unless it was in one of the movies. :colbert:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

KittyEmpress posted:

To be fair there is definitely Star Wars stuff that would be significantly improved by not existing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The only EU books I enjoyed at all were most of the Rogue Squadron series, and a big part of why was A. no expert force users (one of the main characters eventually finds out he's descended from a Jedi Knight because of course he is and that's where the series started tipping downwards in quality) and B. very little use of main SW characters, so it wasn't ruined by mis-voicing them, like so many other of the books do.

So yeah, Star Wars without Star Wars can be pretty rewarding.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

I like the Star Wars movies because they are good movies. I don't like the expanded universe because it is bad. It's unfortunate that they happen to have the same brand on them, but I don't see that as an obligation to like them equally.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

KittyEmpress posted:

Aaron totally nails the characters voices, so I'm not going to get pissy about what Vader would or wouldn't say. I'm sure you could take stuff from the movies out of context and people would claim it's something he wouldn't say. "I want them alive!" Doesn't really mesh with his normal speech patterns for example.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd kinda like a star wars eu something that goes

:clint: You are in fact a descendant of Jedi blood and have inherited force powers!

:hist101: Really!?!

:clint: No you idiot. Learn to shoot straight and use poison or explosive traps on the dudes with the magical laser reflector swords.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like the Star Wars comics, though there's definitely been some bits I didn't care for (everyone wields lightsabers!). I have a hard time with someone saying "Vader doesn't talk like that!" when the number of times he faced a full legion of rebels in the movies was zero.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thankfully the prequels give you a pretty good idea of his characterahghbhhbhl

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basically the entire setup is to tell a story where Vader is just an unstoppable Goku of Darkness, i.e. a fanwank. It's just Darth Vader saying Clint Eastwood poo poo and it doesn't make any sense or line up with who the actual character is.

Like, why does this character need a fleet to do anything? Just attack Hoth by yourself dude.

Also, holy copypasted rebels.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Basically the entire setup is to tell a story where Vader is just an unstoppable Goku of Darkness, i.e. a fanwank. It's just Darth Vader saying Clint Eastwood poo poo and it doesn't make any sense or line up with who the actual character is.

Like, why does this character need a fleet to do anything? Just attack Hoth by yourself dude.

Also, holy copypasted rebels.

Vader is an unstoppable Goku of darkness and his rep and the way characters in the movies talk about him never meshed with his actions in the films. He gets by on a deep voice and ominous presence in the films, here he's actually doing something to justify his rep.

I'm assuming you are currently reading the books and not going wholly off those panels.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
Everything having to do with the force and force users started to suck after the whole "Force Unleased" games and comics media event thing re-wrote force powers as godlike tools of destruction, rather than sleight of hand and pop psychology with alittle magic involved that just happened to be carried out by a bunch of real cool motherfuckers.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Toadstrieb posted:

Everything having to do with the force and force users started to suck after the whole "Force Unleased" games and comics media event thing re-wrote force powers as godlike tools of destruction, rather than sleight of hand and pop psychology with alittle magic involved that just happened to be carried out by a bunch of real cool motherfuckers.

I think it predates that, even. I never really got into the EU but I had a buddy who would constantly talk about how awesome EU Luke Skywalker was, and list off all this goofy Force poo poo that sounded like it came from a horrible fanfiction, not an actual published work.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toadstrieb posted:

Like when Yoda picked up an entire starfighter with his mind? "Size matters not" I thought the implication of that was always that the power of the Force was only limited by the restrictions the user imagines.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

zoux posted:

Like when Yoda picked up an entire starfighter with his mind? "Size matters not" I thought the implication of that was always that the power of the Force was only limited by the restrictions the user imagines.

Goddamnit I forgot that one. Well, if I was gonna go with another objection to the "force superheroes" approach, I'd say that any unkillable character, or one that trivializes all normal human concerns for safety and wellbeing ruin stories unless the story is about how they're different in a way that isn't just pure difference or exceptional power. This is also why I think superheroes suck, so, it's not really starwars related.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

M'Vader

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Honestly it's been a while since I've watched the movies, but it seems like it'd be hard for anyone to pin down what Vader "sounds like" since, to my memory, Vader doesn't really talk that much in the movies (feel free to correct me on this). And you can argue "well he shouldn't talk then" but then it's hard to write a Darth Vader comic, so hey I guess the writer's in between a rock and an EU place.

Frankly I've been reading the series and really enjoying it, but then I'm not the biggest Star Wars fanatic out there so I can see where perceived character deviations would really tick some people off more than others.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

zoux posted:

Then again, Yoda had to put some effort into it, while in Force Unleashed the player character uses them as projectiles. Then he pulls a Star Destroyer out of he sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Lifting a thing is not analogous to killing like 500 dudes at once.