Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SKY COQ posted:

So the ABC have commissioned a documentary about indigenous recognition - starring one Andrew Bolt.

Set to the tune of Stealers Wheel's 1972 soft rock classic "Stuck in the middle with you", one hopes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://m.smh.com.au/environment/un-...207-glhtco.html

Gaze into the abyss

quote:

Lord Monckton claimed fellow sceptic Ian Plimer​, now an emeritus professor of geology at the University of Melbourne, phoned Mr Abbott in 2009 as "the final persuader" to urge him to run against the then opposition leader Malcolm Turnbull.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
we're doing a documentary about indigenous recognition starring a white guy

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My most resounding memory of Abbott is of seeing him on Lateline when he was running against Turnbull, where he admitted he hadn't read any of the current reports on climate change and he also hadn't read the Plimer book he'd been citing as a counterargument but it didn't matter because ??? and then he became opposition leader.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

can i be the frothy racist pls

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

A convicted racist white guy.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Sometimes I wonder if his eyes are pushing back into his brain causing a bit of damage back there.

I guess we should be grateful for his unfortunate disease because he'd be a hell of a lot more dangerous if he had a face people would take seriously.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Yeah, can we not make fun of genetic diseases thanks. The gently caress Auspol.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Excuse me, I think you'll find Andrew Bolt is indigenous because he was born here :smug: Also words mean only their dictionary definition and social context isn't a thing

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Zenithe posted:

Yeah, can we not make fun of genetic diseases thanks. The gently caress Auspol.

My wife has the exact same illness and she doesn't look like the Cookie Monster. The difference is, she sought treatment as soon as she noticed symptoms. Monckton brought it on himself.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Starshark posted:

My wife has the exact same illness and she doesn't look like the Cookie Monster. The difference is, she sought treatment as soon as she noticed symptoms. Monckton brought it on himself.

So you're saying when presented with overwhelming evidence a rational person took action immediately as opposed to an irrational person ignoring them?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
may death meet you all, in the final reckoning.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

SKY COQ posted:

So the ABC have commissioned a documentary about indigenous recognition - starring one Andrew Bolt.

"balance"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Orkin Mang posted:

may death meet you all, in the final reckoning.

Generally how final reckonings work.

"SMH posted:

Massive increases to the GST that would raise up to $45 billion annually will be on the table when Malcolm Turnbull and state premiers meet on Friday, according to a leaked document obtained by Fairfax Media.

The Council of Australian Governments document, marked "for official use only" and titled "Reform of the Federation", reveals modelling prepared by the federal treasury at the request of the states in July, and will help frame the crunch tax meeting, which will be led by NSW Premier Mike Baird, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Mr Turnbull.

Eight options for tax reform – including six GST options and two Medicare Levy proposals – are canvassed in the paper, which sets out four previously unpublished tax options that have been costed by the federal Treasury, and four more that will be costed as the federal and state governments pursue tax reform.

Soon after becoming Prime Minister, Mr Turnbull said everything – including a consumption tax rise – was on the table as his government pursued tax reform.

The document confirms that a rise in the goods and services tax remains a live option and raises the prospect of a federal election in 2016 fought over the issue if the federal government adopts a plan to hike the GST and can strike a deal with the states, whose support will be needed for any increase...

Looks like Turnbull's still gunning for the GST. Article details the six different GST offerings.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Att Brisgoons

http://m.brisbanetimes.com.au/queen...social_facebook

The Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade contract has been signed and Graham Quirk announced himself Santa.

It's now pretty obvious he's on the take because even RACQ has come out opposing the plan (guess they should have donated more).

The ALP has opposed it because they're scared of big numbers and only wanted to dump $150 mil into it instead of the current $650 mil.

The greens support trees over people so they want it left alone altogether.

I'm thinking it could be stopped/retarded by the residents in the area, who are fairly active and vocal against other recent poor development proposals in the toowong area, and they will probably stand up against having more homes and parks demolished for the upgrade. Other than this sort of piecemeal grassroots activity there isn't really much else to stop it going ahead at this point.

Merry Christmas Brisbane

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Doctor Cave posted:

I like nerding out about the weather so I looked this up, so far this month Adelaide has had both it's lowest and highest December minimum on record :whoptc:

Yeah, climate change will mean this kind of thing will just happen more and more in places like Adelaide that have no natural barriers between the hot deserts of central Australia and the freezing winds circling Antarctica and are therefore already subject to comical amounts of variation. See also : Melbourne.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

TheIllestVillain posted:

quote:

Gaze into the abyss

Boggle into the abyss and the abyss boggles into you.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-08/tony-abbott-says-voters-overwhelmingly-want-him-to-stay/7011164

Abbott so clearly thinks he is the PM in exile and they will run back to him weeping soon.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Quelle loving surprise

Guardian AU posted:

Australia ranked third-last in climate change performance of 58 countries
2016 Climate Change Performance Index released at Paris climate summit, day after Julie Bishop said Australia was meeting and beating its climate targets

Australia has come third last in an annual assessment of 58 nations’ climate policies, with only Saudi Arabia and Kazakhstan ranking worse.

The assessment by Germanwatch and Climate Action Network Europe was released at the Paris climate summit, just one day after foreign minister Julie Bishop told the assembled ministers Australia was meeting and beating its climate targets and transforming its energy production.

The report measures actual emission levels per capita, the trend in emissions projections, the deployment of renewable energy, and the energy intensity of the economy, and assesses climate policies for each of the 58 countries.

Australia’s score is slightly better than last year, but not enough to shift it very far up the rankings.

The Australian Conservation Foundation acted as one of the “expert advisers” for the review, and its chief executive, Kelly O’Shannassy, said the study showed up the difference between what Australia was saying at the Paris conference and what it was doing.

“This report cuts through the government’s spin to show that we are a climate laggard,” she said.

Denmark topped the ranking, while the UK, Sweden, Belgium and France all scored well. Japan and Korea ranked only slightly higher than Australia.

Australia’s high per capita emissions means it scores very badly in the first category of the assessment – measuring emissions levels. It scores better, although not well, in a second category assessing projected future emissions across a number of sectors. It also scores poorly on renewable energy deployment, where other countries are moving faster, and on both national and international climate policy.

The expert comments would have contributed to the negative assessment. A selection are printed in the report, including:

The current policy framework is evaluated as inadequate to meet Australia’s minimum 2020 target of 5% below 2000 level.
Through legislative amendments in June 2015, Australia’s renewable energy target (RET) was scaled down from 41,000 GWh to 33,000 GWh. The definition of renewable energy was also altered to include burning of biomass from native forests. Experts criticise that this move would restrict uptake of real renewable energy, drive deforestation, cause carbon emissions and reduce sequestration.
Experts criticise that policies like the Emission Reduction Fund are weak, poorly designed and do not cover major emitters. The “safeguard mechanism” sets baselines for industrial emitters but in its currently proposed form does not capture many of the nation’s largest emitters and does not seek to reduce emissions.
The report was finalised before the recent change of prime minister and does not appear to reflect what many negotiators believe is a more positive attitude by Australia in Paris.

It says Australia’s record at global climate talks in recent years has been “poor” and that Australia tried to “relegate climate change off the agenda” in the leadup to the G20 meeting in Brisbane.

“Experts criticise that Australia’s attitude appeared to be to try to avoid making any substantive commitments, and to do the absolute minimum that it has to. There appeared to be no recognition of Australia’s national interest in minimising climate change; rather, the focus seems to be on protecting domestic energy and resource exporters (coal and gas industry),” it says.

The UK moved up the rankings, from six to five, because it has continued to expand renewable energy and set a deadline for phasing out coal-fired power.

Indonesia also moved up, despite rampant illegal deforestation, because it has low per capita emissions and – according to the report – “improvements can be seen in the renewable and the efficiency scores”.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
It's Peta who is "keeping Tony in the game", says a sympathetic MP. "She believes he can make a come-back probably more than him and is pushing him to it." But nobody really knows. Coalition members have talked themselves dry on the subject of Abbott's plans.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Abbott doesn't seem like the type to have a 'plan' as such and will probably just flail around a bit with the odd media interview and attempts to win back former supporters, and kind of hope it all just falls into place for him.

edit: Apparently Shorten has fallen one point to 14% as preferred PM. Not sure how anyone can look at those kinds of results and somehow justify staying in their position as opposition leader.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 8, 2015

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
It helps if you're a complete loving idiot which, as chance would have it, Shorten is.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
On Sunrise this morning: apparently Turnbull is determined to plough ahead with the GST hike.

I want to punch him.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
pffaaaarrrrrbbabt~

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

pffaaaarrrrrbbabt~

&gr;eed

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Almost 20pc of Melbourne's investor-owned homes empty

The number of empty houses and apartments in Melbourne is much higher than traditional estimates, with as many as one-fifth of all investor-owned properties lying empty, according to a study of water usage by think tank Prosper Australia.

Victoria leads the country in terms of new housing approvals and planning authorities gave the tick to 70,472 new dwellings in the 12 months to October – more than half of them apartments – but the Prosper figures indicate that while local and offshore investors are hungry for properties, they are not necessarily making those homes usable housing stock.

"There is an oversupply of housing that's not being used," said Catherine Cashmore, Prosper President and author of the report. "When the Victorian government talks about the need to build more housing to bring down prices, that strategy isn't working. We don't have anything to ensure those homes are being utilised. It doesn't matter whether they're foreign owned or investor owned the economic cost to us is enormous."

A total 82,724 properties used less than 50 litres per day – the equivalent of a dripping tap and far less than a single person's daily usage – suggesting they were effectively unoccupied, the data from retailers City West Water, South East Water and Yarra Valley Water shows.

Night light: apartments being deliberately kept vacant don't add to the country's stock of available housing, Prosper Australia says.

That's equivalent to 4.8 per cent of greater Melbourne's total housing stock and 18.9 per cent of all investor-owned housing stock.

As many as 24,872 properties consumed no water at all, making them clearly unoccupied.

The number of vacant properties leapt 28 per cent last year, according to Prosper's Speculative Vacancies report, now in its eighth year. The think tank advocates for broad-based land taxes to raise the cost of holding land unproductively, as well as for an end to stamp duty, which it says impedes the market for land transactions.

"Capital gains are a much more powerful market motive than earning mere rents," says Karl Fitzgerald, Prosper project director. "That's why the tax game needs to change."

The idea has support.

"Should there perhaps be some kind of differential land tax that changes people's incentives?" said independent economist Saul Eslake. "I have some sympathy with that view."

It's not clear how much of the vacant housing stock is foreign-owned and how much is locally owned. However, the Melbourne CBD – which has drawn much investment from overseas buyers – had the largest number of vacancies, with just over 1100 – 6.7 per cent of its 16,632 homes – using no water at all. Almost 15 per cent – 2478 properties – consumed less than 50 litres per day.

The student-heavy areas of Carlton and Carlton South had the highest ratio of empty homes with 7.6 per cent, or 597, of their total 7837 homes using zero water.

Melbourne's hidden vacancies will become visible if the property market slows.

"When we get a downturn in housing markets it does lead people to sell their properties or rent them out to the market, that's when these vacancies will become visible," Ms Cashmore said.

http://www.afr.com/real-estate/almost-20pc-of-melbournes-investorowned-homes-empty-20151203-glee9q

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Ket posted:

I think the real question is do you reckon you could convince conspiracy nutters that the Australian Embassy is a Muslim haven

RIP Vile Rat

Solemn Sloth posted:

we're doing a documentary about indigenous recognition starring a white guy racist

asio posted:

Att Brisgoons

http://m.brisbanetimes.com.au/queen...social_facebook

The Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade contract has been signed and Graham Quirk announced himself Santa.

It's now pretty obvious he's on the take because even RACQ has come out opposing the plan (guess they should have donated more).

The ALP has opposed it because they're scared of big numbers and only wanted to dump $150 mil into it instead of the current $650 mil.

The greens support trees over people so they want it left alone altogether.

I'm thinking it could be stopped/retarded by the residents in the area, who are fairly active and vocal against other recent poor development proposals in the toowong area, and they will probably stand up against having more homes and parks demolished for the upgrade. Other than this sort of piecemeal grassroots activity there isn't really much else to stop it going ahead at this point.

Merry Christmas Brisbane

Kingsford Smith drive has needed work for far too long. And to do it they need to resume some Old Qlders, fancy houses and build out over the river.
what Brisbane really needs is a ring road and better cheaper public transport but that's not happening.
:shrug:
after Newman's tunnels and putting suicide barriers on the Story Bridge I have trouble giving a poo poo.

bulldoze Brisbane flat, start over.
:killdozer:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-advertiser/20151209/281900182145566/TextView
"In Australia this means talking to decent people who happen to be Muslim as well as to "official" Muslims inclined to see "Islamophobia" in any criticism."

:lol:

He's not doing a very good job of convincing me he doesn't want some apocalyptic showdown between good and evil.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

:vince:
:getin::getin:
wow that's a massive undertaking.

I wonder if they need some data analysts.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Hey Kommando, do you have a link to a full-size version of the cartoon in your av?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

EXAKT Science posted:

Hey Kommando, do you have a link to a full-size version of the cartoon in your av?

http://m.smh.com.au/photogallery/federal-politics/cartoons/david-pope-20120214-1t3j0.html

It's the one from 26 Nov '15

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kommando posted:

Kingsford Smith drive has needed work for far too long. And to do it they need to resume some Old Qlders, fancy houses and build out over the river.
what Brisbane really needs is a ring road and better cheaper public transport but that's not happening.
after Newman's tunnels and putting suicide barriers on the Story Bridge I have trouble giving a poo poo.

Sorry is there a problem with the suicide barriers I'm not aware of?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Kommando posted:

See, I used to think local gov was boring and useless. But it's probably the most important because it's how we experience effects of state and fed policy in "real life". Plenty of local and grassroots orgs run against state and fed policy on things like indigenous self determination, environmental issues, refugees and immigration. The space we live in affects us directly as well and is influenced by policy; that of local gov. Local gov representatives are also the easiest to get a hold of in person, and are usually pretty useless humans too.

As an example, one of the greens gunning for a spot in sunny coast is pushing to divest sunny coast council of fossil fuels. It's been picked up by the brissy greens too. This is a policy area that just is failing nationally but can be acted on locally.

A couple of wards in bris last council election, karawatha and macgregor, had over 20k people each enrolled to vote, but only had 18k and 19k people actually rock up. I'm guessing you with your shrugging shoulders would have been one of them. But its a hell of a lot more important than state or fed election, just not as sexy.

Also graham quirk walks down queen st mall most days around 4-4:30 so you can go up and tell him how much of a shithead he is in person. Wouldn't do that to turnbull, he'd have security + he's just some wanker from down south anyway, who cares.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

instead of looking into why people want to kill themselves and boosting mental health services, they were cut and barriers were put up instead.

So now people will jump in front of trains or off KP Cliffs.

people jumping off bridges was causing traffic problems and that wasn't good for Newman's traffic easement message.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Even Newman wouldn't consider a fence a replacement for mental health services.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 9, 2015

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kommando posted:

instead of looking into why people want to kill themselves and boosting mental health services, they were cut and barriers were put up instead.

So now people will jump in front of trains or off KP Cliffs.

people jumping off bridges was causing traffic problems and that wasn't good for Newman's traffic easement message.

Yeah given the walk over the story bridge is done by thousands of people drunk and on psychoactive drugs every month I think it's a loving pissweak thing to dredge up against Newman, the barriers are a good thing and if you think it has no benefit apart from easing traffic concerns you can gently caress off

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

nevermind me. I'm ovrrsimplifying things.

I read something about Donald Trump wanting to call Bill Gates to shut off the internet and got irritated.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm making poo poo quips about Newman and suicide and being generally belligerent.

It feels like there is rarely a sensible decision being made in brisbane. The constant focus on everything bad, im not discussing sensibly.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry if I'm getting unnecessarily aggro about this but my personal experience is that ideation of suicide is severely curtailed by lack of exposure to means and those barriers on the bridge mean I don't have to stop and think about my current state of mind every time before I walk over it so its a personal thing for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Just lol if you think "suicide barriers" on the storey bridge are a good idea.

• Locked thread