Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yes, and Bald Cape is Hagemanto in the Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Don't quote me on this but I don't think there's a non-derogatory way of saying "bald" in Japanese

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

clearly we need to keep Genos away from fast cars and trees

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 9, 2015

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

too soon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2 Soon 2 Tragic

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
oh hey I used to watch anime in high school and then for a while I didn't.

recently (last four weeks or so) I started watching One Punch Man and I like it a lot.

Came to this thread to see others' reactions and what in the hell has been going on for the last three pages.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Strife posted:

oh hey I used to watch anime in high school and then for a while I didn't.

recently (last four weeks or so) I started watching One Punch Man and I like it a lot.

Came to this thread to see others' reactions and what in the hell has been going on for the last three pages.

this is the manga thread

you want the anime thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746457

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can talk about the show in here though, but if you haven't read the comics you might be spoilered so head's up.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Kild posted:

this is the manga thread

you want the anime thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746457

Turns out the anime thread is not dissimilar except with less onomatopoeia discussion. I had been avoiding the manga as to not spoil the anime, but I'll probably wind up reading it in the show hole between seasons so I guess I'll be back.

Thanks dudes.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Finally caught up on this thread again. You guys posted a lot of little spoilers and then never tagged them even after being called out on it. :/

About the anime:
I really really didn't like the King engine
or Tatsumaki

I always thought of Tatsumaki as a very mature person that everyone treated as a child because of her appearance, not an actual child. The jokes about her being a child seem so much less funny when she also acts and sounds like one.

And yeah, I have to see what first time anime-viewers think, but King's engine didn't sound intimidating. I also thought it was going to be more like an engine. Or at least a more voluminous and bass sound. Some kind of deafening rumble. It was probably the #1 thing I was looking forward to in the anime, but oh well. As long as they do the other King stuff well when it gets to there.

Also, it was a few pages back, but I also thought that Genos was firing blue laser beams. Genos is basically powerless on his own. Dr Stench is the real hero. I also think he was the one that created the rampaging robot. Or maybe the rampaging robot was Genos all along.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Dr. Stench was a possibility for Genos' true enemy before Metal Knight appeared. Dude has absolutely no morals and fucks around with dangerous experimental weapons all the time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tatsumaki comes off as pretty drat bratty in the manga as well, to me at least. I'd say it's only the ONE version where she comes off differently for me (more of a bitchy old lady than a brat).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shadow0 posted:

Finally caught up on this thread again. You guys posted a lot of little spoilers and then never tagged them even after being called out on it. :/

About the anime:
I really really didn't like the King engine
or Tatsumaki

I always thought of Tatsumaki as a very mature person that everyone treated as a child because of her appearance, not an actual child. The jokes about her being a child seem so much less funny when she also acts and sounds like one.

And yeah, I have to see what first time anime-viewers think, but King's engine didn't sound intimidating. I also thought it was going to be more like an engine. Or at least a more voluminous and bass sound. Some kind of deafening rumble. It was probably the #1 thing I was looking forward to in the anime, but oh well. As long as they do the other King stuff well when it gets to there.

Also, it was a few pages back, but I also thought that Genos was firing blue laser beams. Genos is basically powerless on his own. Dr Stench is the real hero. I also think he was the one that created the rampaging robot. Or maybe the rampaging robot was Genos all along.

Tatsumaki is not and was never mature

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Shadow0 posted:

King sounds like he's about to have an aneurysm. Don't really know if that's what they were going for, but it doesn't give the game away, I think.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

I always figured she was just aloof and selfish and greater-than-thou, but not like a child or something. I guess that describes a child... Maybe it's just the voice? I don't know, haha.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shadow0 posted:

I always figured she was just aloof and selfish and greater-than-thou, but not like a child or something. I guess that describes a child... Maybe it's just the voice? I don't know, haha.

She literally calls Saitama an octopus-head and a baldy the first time they meet.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

She literally calls Saitama an octopus-head and a baldy the first time they meet.

I'd do the same and I'm 25. :colbert: I am also a child though...

By the way, how do the rankings work in regards to classing up? It seemed like the Rank 1s of each Class can somehow block you from rising to the next class. Do you need to be Rank 1 of a Class to move up to the next one or what?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Shadow0 posted:

Do you need to be Rank 1 of a Class to move up to the next one or what?
Yes.

Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask has been sitting on A-1 for years just to keep the riff-raff (in his opinion) away from the S ranks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Genos was really lucky to get in S-Class right out of the gate.

Edit: Hasn't Fubuki been sitting on B-1 too? Though I think that's more because she's got a good niche with the Blizzard Group.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nah, Fubuki explained that she could definitely reach the higher ranks of class A, but if she's not rank 1 then what's the point.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, Genos was really lucky to get in S-Class right out of the gate.

Edit: Hasn't Fubuki been sitting on B-1 too? Though I think that's more because she's got a good niche with the Blizzard Group.

Common Rider was blocking moving up from C class, Fubuki blocks moving up from B class, and Sweet Mask blocks moving up from A class.
Well, I was just confused because Common Rider didn't seem to change his position when Saitama moved up. I guess he temporarily lost #1, but Saitama moved up to B Class anyway so he got it back?

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

From what I remember, Common Rider was just not moving up because he didn't think he could cut it in B class or something. That's what I remember reading, anyways.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah that's basically how it went down. Common Rider's not really trying to impede anyone from moving up, he just knows he can't cut it in B class so he stays where he is.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's entirely possible to overtake someone's rank so I'd imagine what Mask is doing is making sure it's difficult for anybody to beat his "Score."

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Excuse me. It's been awhile since I read this comic. Was that drone delivering the mail bit seen in the anime in the original comics?

Because as someone who works with drone parts, seeing one in anime was deliciously absurd to me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah, it was. It happened after Saitama got the crowds riled up against him after Deep Sea King though, not right after the King died.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Dr. Stench was a possibility for Genos' true enemy before Metal Knight appeared. Dude has absolutely no morals and fucks around with dangerous experimental weapons all the time.

Are you saying Metal Knight is the one with no morals or Dr. Stench? Because all we know about Stench is he saved Genos' life by turning him into a cyborg and seems like a decent guy.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah, Common Rider is sitting on C Rank 1 because he doesn't think he is strong enough to cut it in B-Class, so he stays where he is. He doesn't even attempt to get in anyone's way and just lets people move on to B-Class when they rank up past him. No one else wants to be in C-Class, so he ends up sticking around at rank 1 for basically forever.

Fubuki remains at B Rank 1 because, while she is strong enough to get a high rank in A, she couldn't get Rank 1 because Sweet Mask holds it. So she remains at B-Rank 1 because she likes the power being at rank 1 gives you. She doesn't directly stop anyone from ranking up to Class A, but she also attempts to recruit anyone promising in B-Class to her group, and anyone she's recruited basically gets their rank frozen to B-Class by virtue of the entire group dividing credit between themselves. So to get past her to A-Class, you need to avoid joining her group, but also survive her attempt to rookie-crush you for avoiding joining her group. She's basically running a hero mafia.

Sweet Mask holds A Rank 1 because he doesn't want anyone else to go to S-Class unless they look good. If you can't put on a pretty face for society, you're not worthy of representing the hero association. He could move up to S-Class at any time but then he'd have to just let any old A-Class Rank 1 Hero move up to S-Class and that just would NOT do. So he keeps his seat and is basically a giant wall barring anyone else from moving up to S-Class.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Wonder if we'll get an arc with Genos' mysterious cyborg poo poo involving Drive Knight and Metal Knight.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, it was. It happened after Saitama got the crowds riled up against him after Deep Sea King though, not right after the King died.

The letters weren't delivered by drone though, it was just a cardboard box tied to a parachute dropped from a passing plane.

Buckets fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 10, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Tatsumaki is a butt

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Wonder if we'll get an arc with Genos' mysterious cyborg poo poo involving Drive Knight and Metal Knight.

i think this is likely, and i hope that saitama just one-punches him and denies genos the satisfaction of revenge.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bad Seafood posted:

It's entirely possible to overtake someone's rank so I'd imagine what Mask is doing is making sure it's difficult for anybody to beat his "Score."

Sort of, but there's another component to what he does where the Association consults with him like they did with Saitama. He's basically their PR advisor because they're dumb.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Compendium posted:

Tatsumaki is a butt

Well, she definitely shows too much butt.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AnonSpore posted:

Always read her being bitchy old lady rather than bratty annoyance.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Compendium posted:

Tatsumaki is a butt

she keeps trying to get tailors to make clothes for her but they don't want to go to jail, so she buys doll clothes instead. she steals fubukis tops and turns them into dresses

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

she steals fubukis tops and turns them into dresses

this wasn't my canon before but hell, why not

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if they do the fusion dance they turn into an average looking girl of indeterminate age with extremely powerful psychic powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's the newest chapter in Korean.

At least, I think it's new????

Kissmanga is loving weird.

http://www.mangaumaru.com/archives/569772