Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ZeroPrimal posted:

I've been binging through the Shaw Brothers stuff on Netflix. My two favorites are: The Crippled Avengers and The Kid with the Golden Arm. I really love that stilted fighting style. Anything with any of the Venom Mob is a must-watch.

You have good taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Check out Masked Avengers if you like seeing people get skewered with tidents, boiled with slimey green acid shot out from walls, and through the stomach by a circular doorway with camera aperture style blades.

https://youtu.be/So2nBT4COlk

G-III fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 25, 2015

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Masked Avengers is on Netflix too, one of the really nice shaw-scope versions that started showing up last month (and that have occupied most of my free time).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, ID a movie for me: a good guy kungfu student and his friend are surrounded by a circle of kungfu students who trying to kill them with giant bamboo poles. Standing on their shoulders is another circle of bad guys. They bend their poles and release them like projectiles, which hit the good guys /and then bounce back to the bad guys. The good guys fight back, and at one point the take the body of one of the bad guys and surf around the room fighting the bad guys while standing on his chest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Remulak posted:

Masked Avengers is on Netflix too, one of the really nice shaw-scope versions that started showing up last month (and that have occupied most of my free time).

I absolutely love the final fight in Masked Avengers. All the clanging will give you a headache but it's a surprisingly mean and gruesome movie for Shaw.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, ID a movie for me: a good guy kungfu student and his friend are surrounded by a circle of kungfu students who trying to kill them with giant bamboo poles. Standing on their shoulders is another circle of bad guys. They bend their poles and release them like projectiles, which hit the good guys /and then bounce back to the bad guys. The good guys fight back, and at one point the take the body of one of the bad guys and surf around the room fighting the bad guys while standing on his chest.

I want to say The Evil Cult (or Kung Fu Cult Master, or one of its other half dozen names) but I'm not certain.

It sounds like something that would fit right in with that film, at least.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I should add I think everyone was bald, and I'm tempted to say it was Jet Li.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's Cult Master

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

potatocubed posted:

I want to say The Evil Cult (or Kung Fu Cult Master, or one of its other half dozen names) but I'm not certain.

It sounds like something that would fit right in with that film, at least.

That's the one that doesn't have an ending. They run after the main villain the movie just stops. Like they ran out of footage. It owns.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It's been forever since I've seen it, but I loved how ridiculous it was. I should watch it again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's Cult Master

Nope, everyone was wearing shaolin-style robes and were bald in the movie I'm thinking of. Also, said scene was indoors.

Cult master is full of long flowy robes and long hair

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Nope, everyone was wearing shaolin-style robes and were bald in the movie I'm thinking of. Also, said scene was indoors.

Cult master is full of long flowy robes and long hair

Is it Tai Chi Master? Not sure about the policy here re: linking full movies on YouTube, but if you find it (or have Netflix) it's about 16 minutes in.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Snowman_McK posted:

That's the one that doesn't have an ending. They run after the main villain the movie just stops. Like they ran out of footage. It owns.

Believe it or not, Kung Fu Cult Master was based on a book from a popular wuxia novel series that began in the 1950s. It followed the plot of the book fairly closely. Wong Jing was planning to make sequels based on the rest of the books but the film didn't do well enough. There are fan translations of the novels floating around.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Clipperton posted:

Is it Tai Chi Master? Not sure about the policy here re: linking full movies on YouTube, but if you find it (or have Netflix) it's about 16 minutes in.

Yes, that's it! Thanks!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There was a movie mentioned earlier that I've missed on a re-read, some clip where a bunch of ninjas combine into a giant super ninja. It's not Duel to the Death, that's the reverse.

Actually, now I'm not sure if they were ninjas.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You might be thinking of Holy Weapon with Michelle Yeoh.

The combination scene occurs at 1:32:30.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Could be Duel to the Death

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HeXZ9Q0UmAA

Boinks fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 17, 2015

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
This could be an interesting disaster: Yuen Woo-ping, Tsui Hark remake Miracle Fighters

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm all for it. I love that movie and there's all kinds of crazy stuff you can do now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Any excuse to repost this...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The last thing I remember Yuen Woo Ping directing was "True Legend" which was loving awesome. I'm for this.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So apparently Netflix are producing a sequel film to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon as a Netflix original film?

It's titled Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny and stars Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen.

The trailer music is um....spectacularly awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdhvxJZDqzU

Given that CTHD was probably responsible for me being interested in wuxia cinema (I stumbled on to it at a local arthouse movie cinema back before I even knew what wuxia was) I hold a very strong fondness for it. This trailer does not fill me with hope for a sequel on anywhere near the same sort of level.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
As a person who loved the unpretentious madness of Tsui Hark and proper balls to the wall HK stuff, I couldn't stand CTHD. So humourless.

I'm p. against obvious wirework in general tbh, and I think it's kind of telling that the people bringing life back into the genre are old school in their choreography.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

As a person who loved the unpretentious madness of Tsui Hark and proper balls to the wall HK stuff, I couldn't stand CTHD. So humourless.

When's the last time you watched it? I wonder if you'd feel the same way now.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

So apparently Netflix are producing a sequel film to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon as a Netflix original film?

It's titled Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny and stars Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen.

The trailer music is um....spectacularly awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdhvxJZDqzU

Given that CTHD was probably responsible for me being interested in wuxia cinema (I stumbled on to it at a local arthouse movie cinema back before I even knew what wuxia was) I hold a very strong fondness for it. This trailer does not fill me with hope for a sequel on anywhere near the same sort of level.

Can't hear the music here at work to judge, but that seems particularly heinous considering how gorgeous the score in the original is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It looks exactly like a kung fu movie. There's a forest, guys in masks. It all checks out. This is probably going to be a kung fu movie.

BTW, Holy weapon, goddamn. I'm just 15 minutes in and it's already profoundly insane.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is great and Michelle Yeoh is a treasure.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Wizchine posted:

Can't hear the music here at work to judge, but that seems particularly heinous considering how gorgeous the score in the original is.

It's a very, very bad remix of Bad Moon Rising by Creedance Clearwater Revival hoarsely whispered through a thick vocal filter. No, I don't know why either.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is great and Michelle Yeoh is a treasure.

These statements are both true.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was bored and watched Kung Fu Hustle, it is infact a good movie and worth a watch.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Abu Dave posted:

I was bored and watched Kung Fu Hustle, it is infact a good movie and worth a watch.

Kung Fu Hustle is a Goddamn treasure and each year that passes without the rumored sequel pains me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wizchine posted:

Kung Fu Hustle is a Goddamn treasure and each year that passes without the rumored sequel pains me.

are any of stephen chows movies good?

i'm not really a fan of wire fu so i always ignored him

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Abu Dave posted:

The Journey to the West movie he did a couple years ago was one of the most tonally baffling movies I remember watching, it kept switching between slapstick comedy, horror, wushu, romance, and drama, usually with no warning, and character actions and motivations do the same. I enjoyed it for how batshit crazy it was, but I don't recall a lot of martial arts, and all fight scenes involve tons of low budget CG. Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer are awesome.

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Yes. Add God of Cookery to that list as well. You don't really watch Stephen Chow movies for the kung fu, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Shaolin Soccer is a wonderful film.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

What about King of Beggars? I've seen the others (minus the Cookery one above) and the kids LOVED both Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle (Qiu Yuen has got to be my favorite Hong Kong actress like, ever).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ill check em out thanks guys.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Oracle posted:

What about King of Beggars? I've seen the others (minus the Cookery one above) and the kids LOVED both Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle (Qiu Yuen has got to be my favorite Hong Kong actress like, ever).
I would say avoid King of Beggars, King of Comedy, and CJ7. You'll get much more mileage out of Forbidden City Cop or Love on Delivery.

And to echo Thaddius - Journey to the West has some great laughs but it makes no sense.

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009
I also like his older Journey to the West adaptation starring Chow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Are Chow's From Beijing With Love and The Royal Tramp I & II any good? I own them but haven't watched em.