Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Like your fancy year 3 Tootsuki diploma isn't going to be very impressive if a thousand other people have it instead of ten.

you and other posters seem to be misinterpreting the end goal of tootsuki's new management. they aren't trying to send their graduates out to the world to spread their talents anymore, hence the canceling of the various study abroad programs. they're trying to tap into a source of labor to funnel into their own franchises. that's why azami's intent on drilling specific recipes into students' heads: those are the same recipes they'll be cooking when they graduate and immediately find a job as line chef at a sponsored elite-ten/Azami signature restaurant

when you look at it that way, reputation and exclusivity don't matter anymore, and azami's overall plan makes a lot more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I wanna smoke meat the way I want to dammit

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

paragon1 posted:

Like your fancy year 3 Tootsuki diploma isn't going to be very impressive if a thousand other people have it instead of ten.

It would help if we had seen non-council graduates running respectable restaurants. They even said recently that it's not just cooking skill that gets you on the council. Just have someone come in, be all "Look, I didn't make the council during my school days. No, I wasn't a head chef right off the bat. I'm head chef now, and my restaurant is a good one."

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
They say that Tootsuki graduating classes barely get to the double digits. It's possible that sometimes ONLY the Elite 10 graduate.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

They say that Tootsuki graduating classes barely get to the double digits. It's possible that sometimes ONLY the Elite 10 graduate.

Sometimes not even then, remember that Souma's dad dropped out before graduating.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Not all of the elite 10 are in the same year either

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure none of Shinomiya's friends was E10 and they all managed successful restaurants so I guess there's your example?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Kyte posted:

Pretty sure none of Shinomiya's friends was E10 and they all managed successful restaurants so I guess there's your example?

If you mean Hinako and all those other dudes at the Summer Camp, no they were all Elite Ten at one point.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Not all of them have been confirmed to have been in the elite 10, but you might as well assume that it's the case. The only people from the training arc / etoile that were confirmed to have been the elite 10 were all 1st (shinomiya) or 2nd seat (Hinako, Mizuhara) leaving out the sushi guy and the weird italian guy

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

gwrtheyrn posted:

Not all of them have been confirmed to have been in the elite 10, but you might as well assume that it's the case. The only people from the training arc / etoile that were confirmed to have been the elite 10 were all 1st (shinomiya) or 2nd seat (Hinako, Mizuhara) leaving out the sushi guy and the weird italian guy

That's why they need to say Hitoshi (sushi guy) and/or Donato (weird Italian guy) weren't elite 10 during their time. Because as it is now, the series seems to be saying "If ya ain't Elite 10, ya ain't poo poo."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually while rereading the chapters I realized that I needed to revise my rankings.

1; Rindou
2: Alice
3: Hanako
4: Alice's Mom

Can't believe I forgot Hanako.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

DolphinCop posted:

you and other posters seem to be misinterpreting the end goal of tootsuki's new management. they aren't trying to send their graduates out to the world to spread their talents anymore, hence the canceling of the various study abroad programs. they're trying to tap into a source of labor to funnel into their own franchises. that's why azami's intent on drilling specific recipes into students' heads: those are the same recipes they'll be cooking when they graduate and immediately find a job as line chef at a sponsored elite-ten/Azami signature restaurant

when you look at it that way, reputation and exclusivity don't matter anymore, and azami's overall plan makes a lot more sense

Okay yeah, that does make a lot more sense.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Neo_Crimson posted:

They meant double digit percentages of the original class, which is apparently like 500 people a year.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

DolphinCop posted:

I think people getting confused as to what the end goal is is part of the point. At first glance, it sounds like a more forgiving system, but if you think about it, you get as above: it's really just a system to make line cooks for a select few.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Now that I think about it, why does Azami even want 1000 line cooks each year when he thinks gourmet cuisine should only be enjoyed by a select few?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

oh jay posted:

Now that I think about it, why does Azami even want 1000 line cooks each year when he thinks gourmet cuisine should only be enjoyed by a select few?

There are a lot of fine dining restaurants in the world.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

They meant double digit percentages of the original class, which is apparently like 500 people a year.

It's definitely not 10% from first year to graduation, more like 10% year to year with nobody dropping out their third year, so like 500 first years, 50 second years, and 5 third years. With that kind of reduction, almost all of the graduates would have to have been elite 10 at some point, otherwise they wouldn't have made it to 3rd year--theoretically half or more of the elite 10 should be 3rd years.

http://bato.to/reader#a44e1d56d554e52e_7

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

oh jay posted:

They're not really cooking themselves if they're just following the exact recipes and orders of the cooking elite.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

gwrtheyrn posted:

It's definitely not 10% from first year to graduation, more like 10% year to year with nobody dropping out their third year, so like 500 first years, 50 second years, and 5 third years. With that kind of reduction, almost all of the graduates would have to have been elite 10 at some point, otherwise they wouldn't have made it to 3rd year--theoretically half or more of the elite 10 should be 3rd years.

http://bato.to/reader#a44e1d56d554e52e_7

I don't think the things that they said in Chapter 4 are all that relevant because a lot of that got retconned as the series caught on and the authors figured out that the logistics made no sense. It's the same reason why Shinomiya ends up working as a line chef at a random dump when he leaves despite the apparent super awesomeness of the school.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 9, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's super-awesome for Japan. France doesn't give a poo poo and probably has their own school anyway. I mean, there aren't that many foreigners if we assume the school is world famous, so it makes more sense to assume it's just Japan's best culinary institute and other countries have their own equivalents.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I sincerely want to see where this whole “center/elite 10/Azami deciding the type of education everyone else gets” goes, because holy poo poo, either he wants to destroy whatever prestige Tootsuki has or he's a monumental moron.

Probably both.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think the things that they said in Chapter 4 are all that relevant because a lot of that got retconned as the series caught on and the authors figured out that the logistics made no sense.

I can't remember anything to contradict it though. The only times I remember them talking about their graduation rates are in chapter 1, chapter 4, and whatever chapter they introduce the people at the training camp.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gwrtheyrn posted:

I can't remember anything to contradict it though. The only times I remember them talking about their graduation rates are in chapter 1, chapter 4, and whatever chapter they introduce the people at the training camp.

I think it's less about being contradictory and more about being hella outlandish.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

I sincerely want to see where this whole “center/elite 10/Azami deciding the type of education everyone else gets” goes, because holy poo poo, either he wants to destroy whatever prestige Tootsuki has or he's a monumental moron.

Probably both.

i think it's mostly the former. he doesn't want restraunts (or even cooking) other than his specific brand of gourmet to exist he's promoting a system where all the most talented chefs from japan will only cook his style depriving other restruants of workers and making his cooking stronger (even if it would be stagnant)

also yeah shinomiya went to a different country with no money and had to swim against racism and he still got good jobs in starred restaurants, that is the power of tootski.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I think it's less about being contradictory and more about being hella outlandish.

They've definitely walked back the level of supreme greatness all of the graduates have once they started introducing a ton of them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also, the spoiler people are confirming that the announcement in this chapter is Season 2 of the anime.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Also, the spoiler people are confirming that the announcement in this chapter is Season 2 of the anime.

I am so drat happy. The anime was so much fun.

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
Chapter 147 is out.

Rindou still owns, obviously

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Can I sperg for a bit?

"T/N: glutamic acid is also known as MSG" - no it's not! MSG is monosodic glutamate, the sodium salt of glutamic acid; the latter is naturally present in foods, while the former is added to foods (akin to salt). It's the difference between naturally savoury (or salty) foods and added savouriness (or saltiness).

Sperg done, you may resume discussing the chapter.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I was kind of hoping Souma would explain how he came up with this recipe thanks to staying at the Polar Star dorms, then go "if you close the place down, I have literally no reason to stay here so I'm fine with getting expelled". That'd make it really blatantly obvious to everyone that Azami's administration is actually squandering potential.

I guess this was okay too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Isn't that... exactly what happened? Just in less words. You don't need to spell out every last little thing.

Incidentally, it's probably technically cheating that he won just because they thought it'd be a waste to get rid of that potential. They didn't even attempt to compare his dish to Eizan's, they just said it was good enough to stick around.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Souma didn't say the word literally, therefore my immersion is ruined. :colbert:

--

This might have gone exactly the way I thought, but the faces :allears: best part by far.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It makes me laugh how much the Internet was disappointed by the lack of Rindou's clothes exploding.

Pervs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It makes me laugh how much the Internet was disappointed by the lack of Rindou's clothes exploding.

Pervs.

Ecchi

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I was kind of hoping Souma would explain how he came up with this recipe thanks to staying at the Polar Star dorms, then go "if you close the place down, I have literally no reason to stay here so I'm fine with getting expelled". That'd make it really blatantly obvious to everyone that Azami's administration is actually squandering potential.

I guess this was okay too.

They're not being particularly subtle about just how Azami's administration is actively detrimental to the development of young cooks. I don't think they really need to outright say it.

I'm glad they tied the polar star guys back into Soma's dish as an explanation for how he came up with it, because this match was for the whole dorm and not just Soma. So i'm happy they're all getting acknowledged.

Clarste posted:

Isn't that... exactly what happened? Just in less words. You don't need to spell out every last little thing.

Incidentally, it's probably technically cheating that he won just because they thought it'd be a waste to get rid of that potential. They didn't even attempt to compare his dish to Eizan's, they just said it was good enough to stick around.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. I would have really liked for Soma to get an actual definitive win over an elite 10 member solely due to his cooking being better. Because he's about overdue for a big success, but i'm fine with him getting the win more due to an ideological victory than anything and it's still being treated as a major win so i'm cool with it. It also helps protect Eizan and keeps him a big deal since most of this battle has really been mostly for his sake to show that he is pretty goddamn good.. And it means we're not likely to get all of Eizan's backstory yet, which is good because I think he can remain just a huge rear end in a top hat for a while longer. He plays the role well.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I just wanted to see a splash page of Souma going "I don't really give a poo poo about this school".

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That was a pretty drat satisfying win.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They're not being particularly subtle about just how Azami's administration is actively detrimental to the development of young cooks. I don't think they really need to outright say it.

I'm glad they tied the polar star guys back into Soma's dish as an explanation for how he came up with it, because this match was for the whole dorm and not just Soma. So i'm happy they're all getting acknowledged.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. I would have really liked for Soma to get an actual definitive win over an elite 10 member solely due to his cooking being better. Because he's about overdue for a big success, but i'm fine with him getting the win more due to an ideological victory than anything and it's still being treated as a major win so i'm cool with it. It also helps protect Eizan and keeps him a big deal since most of this battle has really been mostly for his sake to show that he is pretty goddamn good.. And it means we're not likely to get all of Eizan's backstory yet, which is good because I think he can remain just a huge rear end in a top hat for a while longer. He plays the role well.

I feel like it's come to the point where souma needs to sleep with one eye open and practice cooking without his pinkies.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Elfgames posted:

I feel like it's come to the point where souma needs to sleep with one eye open and practice cooking without his pinkies.

I want Eizan's dad to either be a Yakuza boss, or the accountant of a Yakuza boss, and that's where his obsession with profit and endless supply of thugs comes from.

Or the opposite where his parents are 100% normal, unassuming folk with jobs unrelated to cooking. That might be funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
We're going to find out that his dad was an overworked salaryman and him being lonely as a kid is why he cares so much about money. Redemption arc.