Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe sitting in the backseat, if you have some amount of peripheral sensitivity to space above and behind your head, but from the front seat, the build should feel identical except for when you shoulder check and look past the C-pillar.

I sit fairly tall so there is that, but even subtle things like the interior sound dynamics change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

Ford sold jaguar and volvo to different companies.

you wouldn't know it though.

All you have to do is pick how tall of a grille you want.

Eh, the Volvo is significantly flatter. Like it got smushed.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I quite like the very flat, vertical front end. Something different than all the swoopy bullshit of late.

Plus flat, vertical front ends definitely look good.

Even better if you get a little shark nose going on, which the Volvo almost does...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

vertical front ends you say?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like cummins is planning i4 and V8 diesel crate engines.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Looks like cummins is planning i4 and V8 diesel crate engines.

Sweet, can't wait to replace the pollution machine in my Golf!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

Sweet, can't wait to replace the pollution machine in my Golf!

i4 being 3.9 liter i4.

Which logically means you'll be using a TH425 bolted to the 5.0 V8, and sticking it all in the back, right?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Powershift posted:

i4 being 3.9 liter i4.

I would like to know more

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

atomicthumbs posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

https://youtu.be/ptiljstvUPc?t=252

3.9 targeting 350ft/lbs of torque. The current utility engine tops out at 420ft/lbs, and weighs 745lbs, they can probably shave a little weight if they had a reason to.
5.0 targeting 600ft/lbs. weighs 900lbs dry.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 3, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
New pics of the redesigned Equus under the Genesis G90 moniker:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/11/hyundai-genesis-g90-spotted-undisguised.html

Edit: actually not that new it seems

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
That is a big fuckin car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
They need to be careful to tune out the cavern-like wagon acoustics.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm hoping the G90 will end up being pressed into livery service so I don't have to ever ride in or see the abominably hideous Lincoln MK-T any more. I miss the Town Cars; this looks like it takes after the Town Car, on sheer size at least.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I just wish the 3.3L Turbo would have been available in the 2015/2016 Genesis Sedan. I'm happy with the 3.8L but a little extra kick in the pants is never a bad thing.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Anyone have any thoughts on the new volt? With an 8500 rebate and invoice pricing it could be a very good buy indeed. My daily commute is 66km and fuel economy is still better in gas mode for my occasional 80-200km drives. I could see my gas expenditures drop significantly. Coupled with mileage allowances I might even make money off it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

It's the most advanced car on the road, which is cool if you care about that.

Beyond that if the financials work for you there isn't much else that compares except maybe the new Prius, so drive one and go from there.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The financials don't make sense for everyone, but if they do for you, they're awesome cars. I've had zero non-routine maintenance items, and had the charger socket replaced (under warranty!) because my buddy tripped over it at night and pulled pretty hard on it laterally.

GM dealerships are pretty much scum of the earth, but I really like my Volt. Also, the new Volt isn't a nationwide release for the first model year, because GM.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

What are situations where the volt wouldn't make sense? Maybe getting rid of my 250/month payment on the Mazda 3 is better than the reduction of the 350/ month in gas that I pay.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

The financials don't make sense for everyone, but if they do for you, they're awesome cars. I've had zero non-routine maintenance items, and had the charger socket replaced (under warranty!) because my buddy tripped over it at night and pulled pretty hard on it laterally.

GM dealerships are pretty much scum of the earth, but I really like my Volt. Also, the new Volt isn't a nationwide release for the first model year, because GM.

What's your non-electric mileage like? A Volt would be perfect for my daily commute but I do make somewhat frequent longer trips to Colorado.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kraftwerk posted:

What are situations where the volt wouldn't make sense? Maybe getting rid of my 250/month payment on the Mazda 3 is better than the reduction of the 350/ month in gas that I pay.

I did the math recently on electricity costs vs gas costs and it really wasn't that different. The Volt is rated 35 kWh to go 100 miles, which is about $3.50 for me. Gas is $1.60/gallon around me, so 2 gallons of gas would cost $3.20. On paper, it looks like a Prius / Accord hybrid would be cheaper to fuel than a Volt.

On the other hand, these could be weird numbers because I live in Texas, with very low gas prices and an insane, capitalist deregulated electricity grid that's not connected to any other states.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

I did the math recently on electricity costs vs gas costs and it really wasn't that different. The Volt is rated 35 kWh to go 100 miles, which is about $3.50 for me. Gas is $1.60/gallon around me, so 2 gallons of gas would cost $3.20. On paper, it looks like a Prius / Accord hybrid would be cheaper to fuel than a Volt.

On the other hand, these could be weird numbers because I live in Texas, with very low gas prices and an insane, capitalist deregulated electricity grid that's not connected to any other states.

I live in Ontario so I can safely say I'm thoroughly hosed by a combo of high gas prices and high electricity prices. Not to mention I have limited options if I move to an apartment and don't have a chargin station in the garage.

I get 9.1L per 100km average at my current driving habits. I occasionally have to travel very long distances for work. These typically number in the 300-250 km range total per month. This month I hit over 600 extra kilometres in addition to my usual driving. Outside of these cases I drive 66km per day for work and I'll be able to top up my battery for free out of the office.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

What's your non-electric mileage like? A Volt would be perfect for my daily commute but I do make somewhat frequent longer trips to Colorado.

My girlfriend recently moved to Orlando, so I've been making once-a-month or more trips from Homestead, about 240mi each way. At 80mph with the cruise on, over admittedly dead-flat Florida turnpike, I reset the tripmeter, and got 36mpg after ~120mi or so. Did the same thing at 70mph on the return trip and got 40mpg over ~80mi before traffic interfered.

Also, fuel prices RIGHT NOW make the financials a little hazier. Being mostly-immune to fluctuations in the price of gasoline is nice, though. The new ones run on regular, too, instead of premium like the first generation cars do.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Twerk from Home posted:

On paper, it looks like a Prius / Accord hybrid would be cheaper to fuel than a Volt.

Cheap gas and Texas mean that you could probably get away with stealing a Prius and nobody would notice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

Cheap gas and Texas mean that you could probably get away with stealing a Prius and nobody would notice.

Hmm, not sure whether a Prius owner in Texas would be the one person without a gun, or more guns than everyone else.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

The Volt is rated 35 kWh to go 100 miles, which is about $3.50 for me. Gas is $1.60/gallon around me, so 2 gallons of gas would cost $3.20.

Wow, is that really the right value for electric efficiency? My marginal electricity cost (California) is often like $0.32/kwh, which even if you assume an entirely mediocre 25mpg like my car, means that the breakeven gas price is $2.80, which is far higher than I'd have thought. What am I missing?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Steve French posted:

Wow, is that really the right value for electric efficiency? My marginal electricity cost (California) is often like $0.32/kwh, which even if you assume an entirely mediocre 25mpg like my car, means that the breakeven gas price is $2.80, which is far higher than I'd have thought. What am I missing?

The tesla 70D is rated for 240 miles on 70kwh, that's $22.40 to fully charge the battery at $0.32/kwh(not including efficiency losses of the charger or vampiric drains and such)

The average gas price in california right now is $2.71 a gallon, so a 30mpg 3 series doing 240 miles would take 8 gallons, or $21.68

So in that situation, it's basically a wash. In alberta right now, electricity is about $0.078/kwh which is about $0.58 USD and gas is $0.80/liter, or about $2.20 US/gallon, so doing the same here would be $4.06 usd in the tesla, or $17.60 in a comparable bmw.

It works in some places, doesn't in others.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

It's also a lot easier to mooch electricity than gasoline.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

^^ You can't suck electricity out of a hose in the Dennys parking lot like a $10 whore.

I feel a lot better about my electricity bill now, at the very least.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 5, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I imagine the more popular plug ins get that the stations aren't gonna be free much longer. Swipe that card pal.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

leica posted:

I imagine the more popular plug ins get that the stations aren't gonna be free much longer. Swipe that card pal.

Around here it makes no difference, all the free charging is in paid parking garages, so sure you can charge for free, but it'll cost you $25/day to do so.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Pure electric cars outside of specific niche roles are basically a luxury product, and will remain so for the near future due to the nature of the electrical grid and power generation.

Hybrids are the smart choice for now; unless your local electricity is hydro/nuclear/renewable your toaster is dirtier than a modern PZEV car.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 5, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think the Volt range-extended-electric concept is the way to go in the USA, personally. There's a weight and space penalty for carrying around two engines, sure, but other than that it gets you an electric commuter car without having to give up spontaneous detours and road trips.

I know Tesla's all in for the electric future, but I bet they'd sell the crap out of a model with a 30kWh pack good for about 100 miles, and the extra space filled with a 5-gallon gas tank and microturbine for extended cruising.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Sagebrush posted:

I know Tesla's all in for the electric future, but I bet they'd sell the crap out of a model with a 30kWh pack good for about 100 miles, and the extra space filled with a 5-gallon gas tank and microturbine for extended cruising.

Jaguar had the right idea with the CX-75 concept. Gimme those sweet APU turbines and a torquey direct drive electric motor already.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I've driven my dad's i3 a lot, and it seems pretty great for most of the time. Even feels decently like a BMW when you push on it, even if it runs out of steam very easily.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Powershift posted:

The average gas price in california right now is $2.71 a gallon, so a 30mpg 3 series doing 240 miles would take 8 gallons, or $21.68

Wouldn't the 3 series take premium?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sagebrush posted:

I think the Volt range-extended-electric concept is the way to go in the USA, personally. There's a weight and space penalty for carrying around two engines, sure, but other than that it gets you an electric commuter car without having to give up spontaneous detours and road trips.

Volt is great if its your only vehicle. No range limitations.
But if you can afford a second vehicle, a pure electric becomes a lot more practical. I'm still planning on tesla+truck as my combo in, oh, 5 years or so.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I love electric cars but I am completely soured of of Elon, besides, I'm planning on getting a brand new car at about 2020, hopefully there will be competitors with non garbage interiors

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

davebo posted:

Wouldn't the 3 series take premium?

Yeah it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Mazda might make an Outback thing

http://jalopnik.com/mazda-might-build-a-sporty-almost-wagon-to-fight-the-su-1746843314

I prefer regular wagons but I'll take this