Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
The trident was for killing 2 carriers and 2 battleships in the same battle. I think it was called "Giant Killer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
So I kind of am not so good at BB's compared to my preferred DD/Atlanta/Submarines but my first match of the day yielded this on a non respawn match

The Rhino is Woundless hero :psyduck: I am not that good at BB's what is I don't even

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got two deck gun kills on enemy subs with my Type O.

I don't care if subs are bad. Subs are fun as hell.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Groggy nard posted:

So I kind of am not so good at BB's compared to my preferred DD/Atlanta/Submarines but my first match of the day yielded this on a non respawn match

The Rhino is Woundless hero :psyduck: I am not that good at BB's what is I don't even

It's always the pubbie with torpedoes that manages to teamkill someone.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Being the only DD on my side in a full match is some good xp and an MVP.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like DDs, but I'm not sure I'm playing them too well. Can someone explain spotting and scouting a bit better? I just get points for discovering enemy vessels and for having them in sight while far off BBs blow the poo poo out of them, right?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Night10194 posted:

I like DDs, but I'm not sure I'm playing them too well. Can someone explain spotting and scouting a bit better? I just get points for discovering enemy vessels and for having them in sight while far off BBs blow the poo poo out of them, right?

Scouting also depends on a number of things like enemy visibility, your own scouting range for Radar/Sonar(these can be increased with commander skills and installable modules) and smoke.

Fun things to do with DD's!

Anti Submarine Warfare. Submarines will hunt your Carriers/Battleships/Submarines. Force them off target and make them shoot their wads early to ruin their dreams forever with your bigger torp spreads. If they go deep, depth charge them.

Torpedo Thunderdome. Enemy DD's will sometimes challenge you in the narrows to a game of chicken. Pay attention to the shoreline as well as their torps, force them onto the shoreline with a spread(save two torps for when they gently caress Up), or just straight up have bigger balls and better aim. You will Mr Magoo at some point, so enjoy it, because it happens to everyone.

WITNESS ME! If you survive the initial engagement and find yourself alone, but with a good idea of where the enemy BB shellfire is coming from, you can find where they tend to congregate and abuse your smoke bombs to get within shanking distance. If they have other targets often times most of them will not notice you until it is too late. Carriers also tend to gravitate towards the BB herds, making them easier targets than a Kongo who is actually paying attention and moving.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DD Thunderdome was the most fun (only fun) part of World of Warships, so yes, it will be fun times here, too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DDs are really fun, I just need to get better with torpedoes. I tend to win gunnery duels against other DDs though, at least.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just had a game that was basically nothing but submarines on both sides and taught a few T2 IJN subs that in the land of the subs, the man with the deck gun is king.

Getting deck gun kills with the Type O is the best thing in this game so far. Also, it feels like half of every team is BBs; I don't have a problem with BB mechanics and really enjoy them, but it's a little annoying how much of each team will be BBs.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Sooooo it looks like gold is rewarded as double. Seems like if you're going to throw some money down for the Growth Incentive now would be a good time. Also it looks like all in game gold packages are the same reward rate 1000 gold per $1.

Its only rewarded double for the first time you buy a tier e.e. the $13.6 tier gives normally 6800 gold, but the first purchase of it will give 13600 gold instead. Its a VERY smart move by the devs as if you buy gold a second time, you are likely to buy even more to get the double at a higher tier.

Also the F2P model this game uses is pretty good (apart from the gold ammo but that only gives very marginal improvement), e.g. 180 day sub is 17800 gold, including a free gift ship.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I dropped :20bux: + some steam card pocket change on the first 3 gold bonus thingies and now I've got a half-year of premium and will have a good amount of gold extra when I research a Tier 6 ship (and even more if one day people play higher tiers enough to make researching Tiers 7 and 8 feasible). Considering I've already put like 50 hours into the game (some of that has to be afking though...) I'd say its not a bad price to pay.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just got a near 10,000 damage game in my Florida, on my daily double. :catstare:

I don't know why. The enemy just ignored me completely and the shells kept going exactly where I wanted them, while the enemy cruisers and things cruised around at half speed like little target dummies waiting to get dunked. It was wonderful. I see why BBs are so popular now.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Night10194 posted:

I just got a near 10,000 damage game in my Florida, on my daily double. :catstare:

I don't know why. The enemy just ignored me completely and the shells kept going exactly where I wanted them, while the enemy cruisers and things cruised around at half speed like little target dummies waiting to get dunked. It was wonderful. I see why BBs are so popular now.

Nah they're popular with the unwashed masses because they barely need to waddle off the starting area. They have the same WoT 'go scout for me, I am sniper!' mentality for the most part and the fact they still manage to do so well tells you just how much of advantage the range is. The auto anti air does a reasonable job on a BB of clearing planes so they can tunnel vision to their little hearts content... right up until all the small poo poo is dead and they can't see anything any more. Then they realise they're hosed and complain about the team.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, I tend to advance some in my BB and try to back the light guys up. As long as they're there to make it hard to torpedo me, the secondaries and the occasional dunking will let me help them with the other light forces while I shoot big guns at big boats.

I mean my very next game in the Mahan I got just as much EXP by spotting, scampering around, and occasionally taking out a sub or other light ship going for the fat BBs and then eventually rushing in to torpedo the last enemy BB. It seems like the rewards are pretty even.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 8, 2015

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Night10194 posted:

Oh, I tend to advance some in my BB and try to back the light guys up. As long as they're there to make it hard to torpedo me, the secondaries and the occasional dunking will let me help them with the other light forces while I shoot big guns at big boats.

I mean my very next game in the Mahan I got just as much EXP by spotting, scampering around, and occasionally taking out a sub or other light ship going for the fat BBs and then eventually rushing in to torpedo the last enemy BB. It seems like the rewards are pretty even.

You're comparing the boats and yes they do about the same if properly played. The key there is properly played. If you play like a lobotomised chimp (like the great unwashed herd) then the BB is super OP - no moving, dodging or thought required. Sit, shoot, complain, repeat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, a question about fighting subs: What do you aim for when you attack a shallow submarine? The shadow or the actual boat itself in the water? I've noticed the hitbox on them feels a little odd.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015
So 20 cruiser games later I finally realize that I shouldn't be rushing ahead, like I do with DDs, because that is not conducive to a long lifespan. Started hanging back and protecting our DDs from enemy DDs and CAs and my cruiser experience has improved drastically, doesn't feel like I'm eating a cactus anymore.

Aim for the shadow on surface.

On an unrelated note, 4.85km radar range on Porter spec'd into recon is OP. Need more radar buffs!

Meat_Grinder fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 8, 2015

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Also, a question about fighting subs: What do you aim for when you attack a shallow submarine? The shadow or the actual boat itself in the water? I've noticed the hitbox on them feels a little odd.

The shadow on the surface.
If you're using depth charges, remember they take a half second or so to launch, so click earlier.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ukle posted:

Its only rewarded double for the first time you buy a tier e.e. the $13.6 tier gives normally 6800 gold, but the first purchase of it will give 13600 gold instead. Its a VERY smart move by the devs as if you buy gold a second time, you are likely to buy even more to get the double at a higher tier.

Also the F2P model this game uses is pretty good (apart from the gold ammo but that only gives very marginal improvement), e.g. 180 day sub is 17800 gold, including a free gift ship.

Ohhh that's actually pretty smart. I figured I would dump the 13.50 into the investment and then try and make everything back (which may take quite a while) then dump the 17000 for the free Connecticut.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Do you automatically get the lower tier bonuses if you buy a higher tier?
Does buying the 13.6 package for the first time give 13600 (6800+6800) or 17900 (6800+6800+3800+500)?
Are the bonuses attached to the cash values, or does paying $15 still give the 13.6 bonus?

pityparty
Mar 27, 2011
applied to fleet as PityParty. Lt me in fckrs

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

James Garfield posted:

Do you automatically get the lower tier bonuses if you buy a higher tier?
Does buying the 13.6 package for the first time give 13600 (6800+6800) or 17900 (6800+6800+3800+500)?
Are the bonuses attached to the cash values, or does paying $15 still give the 13.6 bonus?

Each one unlocks itself and no others. I just started clicking at the bottom and went up claiming after each one until I felt I had enough.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the only mechanic this game really needs is a limit on the number of BBs per side. It's kind of ridiculous that it's usually half of each team.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

maybe later in the piece. For now it can be tough getting matches. And knowing how to :nope: BBs is a handy skill.

Got a heavy cruiser finally, but I am still unsure how to actually USE it. Do I sit back and shell DDs etc, or get up in there between the battle line and the destroyer knife fights and trade fire or?

Also 20s refire delay on the main guns augh! I am no battleship!
(the IJN tier 4)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I see the mighty Taco has the same problems it did in WoWS. I love that stupid piece of crap boat there, and I'm excited to get it here.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Veloxyll posted:

maybe later in the piece. For now it can be tough getting matches. And knowing how to :nope: BBs is a handy skill.

Got a heavy cruiser finally, but I am still unsure how to actually USE it. Do I sit back and shell DDs etc, or get up in there between the battle line and the destroyer knife fights and trade fire or?

Also 20s refire delay on the main guns augh! I am no battleship!
(the IJN tier 4)

You are not a DD and not a BB but exist in between those two worlds. Literally you will stay in between the DDs and BBs on the map. You are much smaller than a BB with guns almost as long and about double the fire rate iirc. The exception here is germans since they have a really poo poo rate of fire.

Your secondaries are not as good as a BBs in most cases. Some times they are, some times they are not.

Just pretend to be a smaller battleship or larger cruiser. It is really simple. You are a battleship with worse range but can avoid torpedoes more easily. Also if you are not America, you keep your torpedoes.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
We just capped out dark judge for a win :|

Edit: also, I just torped AdolfHitler with my CV

dpidz0r fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 9, 2015

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
:captainpop::respek::cthulhu:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Good fleet games tonight people.

This guy seems like he might be decent to shove into a destroyer, I dunno?

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
Dark judge being owned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dU1ttkwSpQ

Sudoku: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4uh4swlLXA

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Listen to how cohesive the mighty goon war machine is in that Dark Judge video. :v:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I think we need more practice with torpedoes given the dismal results of the last video.

:v:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

:golfclap: I now almost regret forgetting that Fleet Battles were today.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's really astonishing and alien to me to see a Japanese DD with guns that work, but the Fubuki's cannons seem to hit like a train compared to the Mahan. I think I'm still stuck thinking of IJN DDs as having lovely guns from World of War Ships.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Japanese destroyers are great.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Night10194 posted:

It's really astonishing and alien to me to see a Japanese DD with guns that work, but the Fubuki's cannons seem to hit like a train compared to the Mahan. I think I'm still stuck thinking of IJN DDs as having lovely guns from World of War Ships.

The Japanese destroyers have a lower arc that makes it easier to hit small ships. They have something similar in WoWs, but in this game they deal proportionally more damage to make up for their slower reload.

Fubuki best ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
drat, the fleet battle stuff is on tuesdays? Missed out on all the fun and merits.

Anyone want to give words about what location to aim for when shooting at battleships with your own battleship. Where do you aim with cruisers?

So far I've just been aiming center mass for a larger target with BB guns.

• Locked thread