Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Noodle Status = dunked

Mini GOTY 2012

the last stage of that mini game is completely unmanageable, I got like 21/40 right

I just can't split my focus like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

cat doter posted:

the last stage of that mini game is completely unmanageable, I got like 21/40 right

I just can't split my focus like that

I got it all perfect first try *big flex* *cool flex* i'm good

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
in my defence I was high at the time

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
You can get the Daytona USA song for racing. Amazing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I had to shake off a lot of rust to get back into the swing of things with the fighting, but man, it feels good to do this poo poo again.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I don't think the bicycle HEAT action is the most damaging thing you can do with a bike, but it is the coolest.

Also the bollard butt crusher HEAT move owns.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I am a loving master noodle man, btw.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I feel like I'm not supposed to do all the taxi stuff until I'm done with more of the main story I'm so conflicted

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

mikeycp posted:

The default song makes me feel like I'm in Initial D or something. It's too rad to change.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

mikeycp posted:

this is the perfect video game

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

might as well ask too what here strange blips I get on the minimap are. there hasn't been a tutorial yet for them and I've been looking around in first person b nothing seems up

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I still have no idea how Shogi works and every time I think I have things figured out, everything inevitably goes wrong. Any tips?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

might as well ask too what here strange blips I get on the minimap are. there hasn't been a tutorial yet for them and I've been looking around in first person b nothing seems up

It's when you get close to an objective, I think

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Captain Novolin posted:

It's when you get close to an objective, I think

I think this also may be the case, also worth noting I have found people on the street to talk to around them that trigger events (like, say, the student with the quiz on the bridge)

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It happens when you get close to your main objective. It's the big pink spot on the map. Any of the white ?'s are substories or minigames.

SpacePig posted:

I still have no idea how Shogi works and every time I think I have things figured out, everything inevitably goes wrong. Any tips?

Here's some links that may help.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Shogi isn't that complicated, what's really loving annoying is remembering which moon language symbols correspond to which pieces. You had 3 years SEGA, you could have slapped letters or traditional chess looking pictures on them :argh:

I think I have a manly crush on Nakijima. He's the bro-est.

Goddamn the fighting is harder in this one. I think I completed 3 and 4 in their entirety without using the block button ever.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Static Rook posted:

It happens when you get close to your main objective. It's the big pink spot on the map. Any of the white ?'s are substories or minigames.

No it's not that, it's like a blip on submarines radar. I wasn't drunk either so I couldn't mistake it for rumbling and it still happens every now and again. Don't seem to be near any missions when it happens just random streets. Makes me think i'm detecting locker keys before the game gives me the ablity to collect them

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

precision posted:

Goddamn the fighting is harder in this one. I think I completed 3 and 4 in their entirety without using the block button ever.

Yeah I got my rear end kicked in the first fight at the hotess club

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is the very beginning of the game an intentional homage to Taxi Driver? There are just enough similarities to make me wonder, especially the (I guess I'll spoil something you find out in the first like hour) the loner weirdo taxi driver having a prostitute that hangs out with him because he saved her once

Also, this game is definitely Peak Japan. Bumping into pedestrians is a gameplay mechanic here

e: also Daigo is the human personification of "failing upwards"

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I have the game downloading. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I played for 4 hours today and it said I've done .45% of the game

Hell yes

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Sinners Sandwich posted:

No it's not that, it's like a blip on submarines radar. I wasn't drunk either so I couldn't mistake it for rumbling and it still happens every now and again. Don't seem to be near any missions when it happens just random streets. Makes me think i'm detecting locker keys before the game gives me the ablity to collect them

If you watch the minimap when that sound happens, you'll see it blink and the "pulses" that appear out of the nearby interest point will speed up. The noise is just to show that you're near a mission point, that's all.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just noticed my trophies are in Japanese. :3:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I've done almost nothing except for taxi missions and they're so, so good. Really wish this game had a screen shot function, there's been some amazing lines.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The bike heat is the most Yakuza thing ever.

*edit - scratch that, it's the heat to stop a cell phone call for reinforcements. This game.

isk fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 9, 2015

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

precision posted:

e: also Daigo is the human personification of "failing upwards"
Jesus, still? Will there ever be a Yakuza game where he doesn't gently caress anything up?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I have a goddamn problem when I play these games, and I forgot to get some stuff done IRL because I was too busy driving people places, trying to get all of the UFO prizes, helping random passers-by, and occasionally knocking some dudes' heads in. It's just so nice to finally be playing this goddamn game.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Tupperwarez posted:

Jesus, still? Will there ever be a Yakuza game where he doesn't gently caress anything up?

Daigo, like everyone else in the Yakuza games universe, suffers the horrible fate of being not-Kiryu. It's just more noticeable with him since he's literally in Kiryu's shadow all the time. Poor bastard.

So I finished all the racing missions. That storyline took a loving turn, and then it has the most Yakuza conclusion to it. Still have to finish a few taxi missions and I'll finally be ready to move on to my boy Saejima's chapter.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

He'd be perfectly competent in the real world. It's just that everyone in the Yakuza world is completely batshit insane that Kiryu needs to beat some fools down to fix everything.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Zaggitz posted:

I have the game downloading. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow!

Good luck. I started downloading last night. I woke up to see it's at 8%. 1877mb in 8 hours. I look forward to playing this game sometime next week at this rate...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is it true that Yakuza 5 commits the gravest of crimes, and did not include a BOXCELIOS 3?!
I need Boxcelios in VR stat.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I really appreciate that substory completion and rewards are no longer dependent on getting the "right" answer to any questions therein. So when I go on a mixer with my co-workers, and have the choice for Kiryu to talk about what it means to be a real man, the game doesn't penalize me at all for the clearly correct option.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Captain Walker posted:

I really appreciate that substory completion and rewards are no longer dependent on getting the "right" answer to any questions therein.

Because now, a lot of the substories and side stories have multiple conclusions and rewards for different choices.
One would never see all the possible outcomes in one or two playthroughs.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 9, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
This is it. This is the yakuza game I'll finally spend the time to learn mahjong in :toxx:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
jesus christ trying to perfect this ramen minigame is gonna break me.

ONE MOTHERFUCKER ALWAYS HAS TO ORDER VERY SOFT IN THE LAST ROUND, I SWEAR TO GOD

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Randy Mythbuster posted:

Good luck. I started downloading last night. I woke up to see it's at 8%. 1877mb in 8 hours. I look forward to playing this game sometime next week at this rate...

gently caress me. I was going to get his around Christmas since I bought Xenoblade two days prior to the RELEASE IS RIGHT NOW!!! announcement, I hope the servers aren't congested as hell or some rear end in a top hat DDOSes the PSN.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Salsa McManus posted:

gently caress me. I was going to get his around Christmas since I bought Xenoblade two days prior to the RELEASE IS RIGHT NOW!!! announcement, I hope the servers aren't congested as hell or some rear end in a top hat DDOSes the PSN.

FWIW I have less lovely internet than that and the entire download and install took me from approximately 11PM to 2:30AM.

Static Rook posted:

So I finished all the racing missions. That storyline took a loving turn, and then it has the most Yakuza conclusion to it. Still have to finish a few taxi missions and I'll finally be ready to move on to my boy Saejima's chapter.

I'm almost done with them. I'm on the last two races (the last one I did was Wada) - how hard was the last race(s) for you/what kind of upgrades did you have on your taxi? I'm curious about how badly I'm hamstringing myself and still winning, really... I think my cab is currently Level 4 :v:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 9, 2015

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,any fishing tips? I just can't seem to get a bite no matter what bait I use.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

So,any fishing tips? I just can't seem to get a bite no matter what bait I use.

Make sure you cast onto the fish icons where the bar is light blue. other than that, most of it is luck. I caught a Coelacanth on my first sea fishing try. i haven't caught anything there since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

What does it mean when the minimap pings red sometimes?

• Locked thread