Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Once you get used to the hotkeys it stops being a million clicks. There's probably a better way to do what they want but wite's system wouldn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Grey Hunter, the giant still slumbers.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Grey Hunter, the giant still slumbers.

Well, it's still 3am in Hawaii. Maybe he's going to post it on the hour that the planes were launched, or the hour they hit Pearl.

Maximum grog.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

This is going to be another wild ride. :allears:

edit: We're gonna need a new Croctopus wearing a hachimaki.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Well, it's still 3am in Hawaii. Maybe he's going to post it on the hour that the planes were launched, or the hour they hit Pearl.

Maximum grog.

Maximum grog would have been starting the thread two weeks ago with:

quote:

ACTION: Com Pnncf, Com Psncf

INFO: Cincpac Com Pncf

28----

Refer to my 272338. Army has sent following to commander western defense command.

Negotiations with Japan appear to be terminated to all practical purposes with only the barest possibilities that the Japanese Government might come back and offer to continue. Japanese future action unpredictable but hostile action possible at any moment. If hostilities cannot repeat not be avoided the United States desires that Japan commit the first overt act. This policy should not repeat not be construed as restricting you to a course of action that might jeopardize your defense. Prior to hostile Japanese action you are directed to undertake such reconnaissance and other measures as you deem necessary but these measure should be carried out so as not repeat not to alarm civil population or disclose intent. Report measures taken. A separate message in being sent to G-2, Ninth Corps Area re subversive activities in the United States. Should hostilities occur you will carry out the tasks assigned in Rainbow five so far as they pertain to Japan. Limit dissemination of this highly secret information to minimum essential officers. Unquote. WPL 52 is not applicable to Pacific area and will not be placed in effect in that area except as now in force in southeast Pacific sub area and Panama naval coastal frontier. Undertake no offensive action until Japan has committed an overt act. Be prepared to carry out tasks assigned in WPL-46, so far as they apply to Japan in case hostilities occur.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe the embassy is having trouble decoding the LP. :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Drone posted:

Maximum grog.

I did that for the first time, and no one noticed.
In five years.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754889

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Might as well jump on the bandwagon and try and keep up with Grey.

That map just looks too beautiful not to play.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Yooper posted:

Might as well jump on the bandwagon and try and keep up with Grey.

That map just looks too beautiful not to play.

Time to jump into a PBEM game.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I was silly and bought DC Barbarossa instead. I can tell this is a very professional product when the tutorial videos have birds chirping in the background.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Looks like https://www.operationglacier.com is finally up and running.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmUdYMp61HQ

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

This is goddamn fantastic. Baloogan, please develop WitP 2.

Edit: are you able to drop comments onto the map as a logged in user? I was able to make a comment on a ship, but can't for the life of me figure out how to comment on events. Do you also have plans to integrate a loss chart or anything for each side?

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 8, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Edit: are you able to drop comments onto the map as a logged in user? I was able to make a comment on a ship, but can't for the life of me figure out how to comment on events. Do you also have plans to integrate a loss chart or anything for each side?

Can't comment on events/spots-on-map yet; what I want is map drawing tools, where a 'comment' could be an on map arrow, or a boundary circle or somesuch. What I want at the end of the day is a system to make the graphics in SSLPs of WITP. The operation glacier website grew out of wanting to do a SSLP but also realizing I could never match the amount of work that Grey Hunter (and others) put into their posts every day.

I also plan to have a 'all events this turn' with hotlinks to the positions and a sunk ship list as well. Plus a list of comments/map-arrows drawn the last few turns.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Please release a tool that lets me use your tool to input orders so I can play witp through a website with a custom interface.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol i inspect sewers for a living

edit: I really want a different job. And I would love to work on WITP2, or any serious wargame with attention to detail.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 8, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So this is what it'd be like if grog developers were capable and had modern design sensibilities...

e: It runs too fast, can you cap it to 12 fps or something?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Do one of you fine gentlemen have the link to the good witp map mod handy?

I'm an idiot and found it here it is for other idiots: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3696410

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 8, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Baloogan posted:

Can't comment on events/spots-on-map yet; what I want is map drawing tools, where a 'comment' could be an on map arrow, or a boundary circle or somesuch. What I want at the end of the day is a system to make the graphics in SSLPs of WITP. The operation glacier website grew out of wanting to do a SSLP but also realizing I could never match the amount of work that Grey Hunter (and others) put into their posts every day.

I also plan to have a 'all events this turn' with hotlinks to the positions and a sunk ship list as well. Plus a list of comments/map-arrows drawn the last few turns.

If you could copy whatever Paradox did with Hearts of Iron 3 (If that's even doable) then you'd be set IMO.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Still looking for a Allied opponent for a WitP PBEM btw. Just incase any recent events might have led people to take the plunge.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I would but I can't even figure out where to find the list of ships that are being built.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pharnakes posted:

Still looking for a Allied opponent for a WitP PBEM btw. Just incase any recent events might have led people to take the plunge.

I guess I could? I'm pretty bad so if you're looking for someone with experience I'm not you're guy. If you want an allied punching bag who will eventually figure out what he's doing and start to put up a fight I'm you guy.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ok I've been staring at the witp screen for two hours now hitting random buttons, looked in the manual, how DO I get to that screen where I can scrap or hurry ships that are currently being built?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Press I
Ship something, its like ship sunk, ship withdrawal, ship reinforcement/delay or something?

You want the one that isn't sunk or withdrawal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

When Muse engages in musical masturbation, which is all the time, they go for broke. They don’t just “jerk off” like the average Joe; they spread out a tarp and set up five video cameras on tripods and set out little bottles of scented oil from far-flung regions of the Orient. They crank up one of those Martin Denny Exotica records and get fully nude and do things to themselves that would, if Caligula happened to walk into the room, make him throw up his hands and shout “enough!” They really explore their bodies.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Baloogan posted:

Press I
Ship something, its like ship sunk, ship withdrawal, ship reinforcement/delay or something?

Ship Availability, I think

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ship Availability, I think

Yup, only for the Japanese obviously.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Baloogan posted:

Press I

Ah intelligence, ironically the last place I ever thought of looking.

How well does the auto convoy system work in witp? I want to get into playing the grand campaign asap but I don't want to do some of the crazy stuff you guys get into like manually setting air patrols.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dtkozl posted:

How well does the auto convoy system work in witp? I want to get into playing the grand campaign asap but I don't want to do some of the crazy stuff you guys get into like manually setting air patrols.

It's useless garbage in my experience. Use it to control convoys to like Pearl/Karachi if you want.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

dtkozl posted:

You should at least play the Coral Sea scenario a couple times to get the hang of combat and Operation Buccaneer or Guadalcanal to put together some task forces and amphibious landings. You will have to manually set your air patrols and manage your convoys. You can leave the on-map pilot training squadrons alone and mostly not sweat the off-map pilot training command unless you really want to, but everything on-map besides the west coast should really stay manual. It also gets a lot less time consuming if you're willing to pretty much give up on most of China.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

gohuskies posted:

You should at least play the Coral Sea scenario a couple times to get the hang of combat and Operation Buccaneer or Guadalcanal to put together some task forces and amphibious landings. You will have to manually set your air patrols and manage your convoys. You can leave the on-map pilot training squadrons alone and mostly not sweat the off-map pilot training command unless you really want to, but everything on-map besides the west coast should really stay manual. It also gets a lot less time consuming if you're willing to pretty much give up on most of China.

Oh I've owned the game for years and played the small stuff quite a bit. It is the long campaign with production, long term supply chains, and sustained campaigns where I have no real idea. I'll be playing Japan as well.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

dtkozl posted:

I'll be playing Japan as well.

Oh dear me. Well, good luck, you're braver than I! Even the Allied campaign is more than I can honestly really chew. Get WITP Tracker, you'll need it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh Baloogan, thought on Operation Glacier... are you going to be adding base flags for the allies who aren't American? It's a little weird just seeing the American flag pasted over Australia, India, Mongolia, the eastern USSR, etc.

Or maybe switch it out for a generalized flag for the Allies?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I gave up on my first DCB game mid-october.
While my relationships were fantastic my logistics and territory were in utter shambles.

I managed to grab an undefended Moscow in September but couldn't hold it. AGC's conquest consists of the Smolensk highway with two PG's spread out along it.

AGN is stuck west of Narva and I had no fuel there for two months. Don't ask.

AGS has taken Kiev and Odessa and that's pretty much about it. Also short on fuel. Don't ask either.

Things I learned:
30km a day railroad conversion is way too slow.
Protect your flanks.
If I had demanded military independence I would have won.

Also it bugs me to no end that the three army groups are called "Armeegruppe" and not "Heeresgruppe" like it should be!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Riso posted:

Also it bugs me to no end that the three army groups are called "Armeegruppe" and not "Heeresgruppe" like it should be!

No Pz 38t and now this? Ohh this letter is going to be so sternly worded that it will make sun blush!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You don't understand! Their rapin muh heritij!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
is distant worlds good?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

corn in the bible posted:

is distant worlds good?

Let's put it this way: Grey Hunter accidentally build a planet destroyer and used it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

is distant worlds good?

Yes

A slightly more complete answer would say that the interface is janky as all hell, but the depth of automation that you can set up kinda raises it above most 4x, as does the scale.

I personally enjoy the Star Trek TNG full conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hav posted:

Yes

A slightly more complete answer would say that the interface is janky as all hell, but the depth of automation that you can set up kinda raises it above most 4x, as does the scale.

I personally enjoy the Star Trek TNG full conversion.

Is there a Star Wars conversion?