Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thatfatkid posted:

Just lol if you think "suicide barriers" on the storey bridge are a good idea.

Is this the new 'lol kill urself'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
fuckin lmao if you think suicide prevention is worth it

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I am going to take the very controversial stance that suicide prevention is Good and Correct.

Also MCED I'm glad you don't kill you are self.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

In a perfect world there would be no need for barriers.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Hmm yes the answer to combatting mental illness is putting fences up around everything.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Sorry is there a problem with the suicide barriers I'm not aware of?

The ones on the Suspension Bridge in Northbridge are horrifically ugly and destroyed the aesthetics of a beautiful sandstone bridge.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

thatfatkid posted:

Hmm yes the answer to combatting mental illness is putting fences up around everything.

Where's the harm?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

thatfatkid posted:

Sussan Ley, tear down this wall! *points at electric fence around paddock*

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
fences should not be a replacement for mental health services, but they do have a demonstrable effect on preventing suicides so that's good.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

thatbastardken posted:

fences should not be a replacement for mental health services, but they do have a demonstrable effect on preventing suicides so that's good.

Didn't you hear? If we can't 100% eliminate mental illness, there's no point in measures that reduce the incidence of suicide.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
well, poo poo.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

mental health funding as stimulus measure, turnbull where's the plan

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/dec/09/bitcoin-creator-satoshi-nakamoto-alleged-to-be-australian-academic?CMP=soc_567

quote:

The creator of the digital currency bitcoin, known only by the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamoto, is probably an Australian academic and entrepreneur, according to a new investigation.

Wired has alleged that Nakamoto’s real identity is Craig Steven Wright, a 45-year-old Australian it describes as a “climate-change denier, a serial entrepreneur ... and an eccentric.” Various attempts to prove Nakamoto’s identity in the past have proved unsuccessful.nn

Wired has linked Wright to bitcoin by several posts on his blog, starting with one published in August 2008 that mentioned his intention to release a “cryptocurrency paper”.

Another, published three months later, asked that readers used a PGP public key that has reportedly been linked to Nakamoto. A PGP public key is a unique string of characters that allows a user of that encryption software to receive encrypted messages.

In a now-deleted post dated 10 January 2009, Wright reportedly announced the launch of the beta of bitcoin “tomorrow”; Wired points out that Wright, living on Australia’s east coast, could have published the post after midnight his time on the night of 9 January, which would still have been before bitcoin’s launch at 3pm on 9 January in US time, when the currency officially launched.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Les Affaires posted:

mental health funding as stimulus measure, turnbull where's the plan

Can we really expect a Liberal government to do anything Prozactive about mental illness?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Can someone find and smash his phylactery? ffs.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Why not both? Barriers and increased funding?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Why not both? Barriers and increased funding?

one day when you pay tax you'll understand

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Birbstrike off tha chizzain today

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

"In earlier months, Robb had considered standing against Turnbull in the event of a challenge. That would have given the party's conservative faction an alternative that some would have found attractive."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

“We can’t remain in denial about the massive problem within Islam,” Abbott wrote. “Islam never had its own version of the Reformation and the Enlightenment or a consequent acceptance of pluralism and the separation of church and state.

“It’s also time Australians stopped being apologetic about the values that have made our country as free, fair and prosperous as any on Earth,” he wrote. “It’s not culturally insensitive to demand loyalty to Australia and respect for western civilisation. Cultures are not all equal. We should be ready to proclaim the clear superiority of our culture to one that justifies killing people in the name of God.”

Turnbull rubbished the comments, saying the “vast majority of Muslims” were “appalled” by violent extremists such as those fighting for Islamic State.

lol Turnbull is just straight up telling Tony to gently caress off now

Lid fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 9, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lid posted:

lol Abbott is just straight up telling Tony to gently caress off now

:hmm:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
That dude was our PM

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

i'm sure an Abbot somewhere is pissed off at this seminary drop out

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm sure Cardinal Pell still thinks Tony would be a great fit for the Australian Catholic church.

Not talking about on water matters, hushing up child sexual abuse, it's all one and the same really.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
i really hope Pell is defrocked in his lifetime

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Jailed.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
On Nauru.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
George Pell got called back to the Vatican because he's saved the church millions of dollars.

He got victims in Victoria to settle for $50,000 at a time when US courts were awarding payouts in the seven figure range.

He was a close ally of Benedict and the fact the new Pope has, far from throwing him under the bus, has brought him in to fix the books, says he's far too useful to ever face any kind of punishment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Australia's offshore detention cost $1.2bn in 2014-15, Senate estimates told
Controversial decision to fly asylum seeker seeking an abortion back to Nauru against her will cost $115,000

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

SynthOrange posted:

Australia's offshore detention cost $1.2bn in 2014-15, Senate estimates told
Controversial decision to fly asylum seeker seeking an abortion back to Nauru against her will cost $115,000

burn everything

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's well over ten times the GDP of Nauru. Could have lifted an entire nation out of poverty.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
That's a rather large sum of money. If we violate the basic human rights of ten people, is the eleventh person free?

I hope there is like a loyalty card or something.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Meanwhile copper is rotting in the ground, mining is destroying communities and drought conditions continue without adequate government assistance.

Money well spent.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

Meanwhile copper is rotting in the ground, mining is destroying communities and drought conditions continue without adequate government assistance.

Death is certain

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

country's fukt mate

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gay picnic defence posted:

Death is certain

what the hell

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Orkin Mang posted:

what the hell

It's true, mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

• Locked thread