Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I finally understood the 5:15 reference. It's dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
WWE is going to slowly die and then it will take a decade for mainstream wrestling in the US to recover :smith:

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

achillesforever6 posted:

WWE is going to slowly die and then it will take a decade for mainstream wrestling in the US to recover :smith:

It won't recover.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Electric Lady posted:

It won't recover.

WWE also won't die.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
the ratings are now as bad as the weeks leading up to the final episode of WCW Nitro.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://twitter.com/AlfieBCC/status/674399738968596480

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Is Jimmy Jacobs still on the writing team?

Presumably, he shows up, sits at the table with his bottle of wine and is amused at the goings on.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
At what point do they reach "If they keep this poo poo up, they will be out of business in 10-15 years" type levels? I kind of feel we're already there if you ask me. The world of netflix, hulu, amazon, twitch, sports, cell phones, games, and poo poo is too fragmented for WWE to gently caress around too much.

Hell, they could do everything right and it still might not stop wrestling in general from being this weird niche interest that only appeals to a tiny amount of people.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chromatic posted:

Hell, they could do everything right and it still might not stop wrestling in general from being this weird niche interest that only appeals to a tiny amount of people.

It already is. Even the people most optimistic about the company and the Network acknowledge that they aren't getting much higher buys ever than they currently have. Everybody who wanted on that ship already got on, and at best they don't drive any of them away. Because statistically: once they're gone, they don't come back

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

electric funeral posted:

WWE also won't die.

They need to fix their problems before their next TV deal. If you look at it historically, they're negotiating new deals every few years (they had one in 09-10, then 2012, and again in 2014). If they're doing bi annual negotiations, I imagine the deals are 4 or 5 years. It's entirely possible negotiations begin late next year and into 2017 if it's 4 years.

The good news is when you do TV 52 weeks a year, that is plenty of time to fix your problems. If they keep bleeding viewers I cannot possibly see them getting a sweeter TV deal than they currently have simply because they might maybe give NBC two more hours of live TV for Smackdown. Then again, their viewership numbers were down year to year from 2012-2014 and they gave them a fuckload more money so who the hell knows what TV execs think anymore.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Chris James 2 posted:

It already is. Even the people most optimistic about the company and the Network acknowledge that they aren't getting much higher buys ever than they currently have. Everybody who wanted on that ship already got on, and at best they don't drive any of them away. Because statistically: once they're gone, they don't come back

Fair enough but I'm talking about it becoming the 2015 equivalent of polka music.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Chromatic posted:

At what point do they reach "If they keep this poo poo up, they will be out of business in 10-15 years" type levels? I kind of feel we're already there if you ask me. The world of netflix, hulu, amazon, twitch, sports, cell phones, games, and poo poo is too fragmented for WWE to gently caress around too much.

I don't see how they'd ever be out of business. Say somehow they lost their TV slot someday (though there'd probably be somebody willing to take them). They could just show Raw on the WWE network, plus continue touring.

That said, they should want to improve so they make more money, but in a worst case scenario they just get smaller and make less money. Never going away though.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Before it happens, Stephanie will drip some undetectable poison into Vince's steak wrap. His death will be ruled a heart attack. She'll shed a few tears, and who knows if she and Hunter can reverse the tailspin anyway, but something had to be done, didn't it? Didn't it? I mean, there's shareholders to be considered, dammit.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chromatic posted:

Fair enough but I'm talking about it becoming the 2015 equivalent of polka music.

Again, isn't it already?

You'd feel embarrassed publicly saying you like polka. Wouldn't you say you feel the same way publicly saying you currently like WWE?

It's not like they haven't given you reason to. You can now buy a light up unicorn horn for your forehead, and simultaneously wear that and the classic Bryan beard hat

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Chris James 2 posted:

Again, isn't it already?

You'd feel embarrassed publicly saying you like polka. Wouldn't you say you feel the same way publicly saying you currently like WWE?

It's not like they haven't given you reason to. You can now buy a light up unicorn horn for your forehead, and simultaneously wear that and the classic Bryan beard hat

The unicorn horns apparently sold out in under 5 hours

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
It's probably worth noting that RAW is still one of the top 25 cable programs in the ratings, and relatively cheap for the networks as well. Ratings are down for everyone -- numbers that would've got you cancelled 15 years ago make you a hit today. USA is desperate to get as many hours of WWE as it can, and international networks are largely similar, so it's not like WWE is in danger of going out of business or having RAW cancelled soon.. But the idea of it ever being a part of popular culture again seems impossible.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

Popular things can be embarrassing

There are a lot of Browns fans who wear their jerseys in public. Doesn't mean the shame isn't there

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Chris James 2 posted:

Popular things can be embarrassing

There are a lot of Browns fans who wear their jerseys in public. Doesn't mean the shame isn't there

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just kind of marveling at that fact. Maybe people intend to use them as some kind of ghetto sex toys.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I think people just like the new day tbh

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't see how they'd ever be out of business. Say somehow they lost their TV slot someday (though there'd probably be somebody willing to take them). They could just show Raw on the WWE network, plus continue touring.

This is where my concern lies - they lose their TV slot, go all Network for all their shows, and people say "gently caress it" to paying an additional $10 on top of whatever other programming they pay for, whether it's cable, Hulu, Netflix, or any other provider. Parents probably aren't going to shell out an extra $120/year for 8 year old Timmy to watch fake fighting on the internet. Even now people already know that streaming video sites exist that'll let them watch the network at no cost, on top of other sites that record and upload the content later for free. They'd not only lose a TV slot but lose a ton of business and exposure.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

This is an era where dumb niche granular interests are more "in" than ever before - wrestling is a much, much smaller piece, but it's a bigger pie.

I don't know what "downsizing" looks like for them. There are no stars, so there is no one who can hold them over a barrel for a huge super-contract - in any event, since they're selling dreams they can put basically anyone from the indies in their system. The big expenditures on the network and the performance center are all in the past. I hate the house show schedule, I think it's responsible for a lot of injuries and burnout but it has to be profitable.

If things stay cold WM + the months after will be a huge trouble spot with subscriptions, I just think the company's too stable to get its poo poo wrecked.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Would hate to be Dave Meltzer right now.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
the wwe network should have a free option that plays more ads and only offers current/immediately relevant wwe shows.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Alain Post posted:

Would hate to be Dave Meltzer right now.

Does he hate the New Day?

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Sheamus 5:15 is raw 2.15

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

keevo posted:

Does he hate the New Day?

He hates them now, and also he was skeptical that anyone would buy the plastic unicorn straps.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Heavy Metal posted:

That said, they should want to improve so they make more money, but in a worst case scenario they just get smaller and make less money. Never going away though.

I don't think they could make enough money without some channel paying for Raw. Isn't that where most their money comes from these days?

I guess they could slash expenses so they become TNA

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Alain Post posted:

He hates them now, and also he was skeptical that anyone would buy the plastic unicorn straps.

He doesn't hate the new day he puts over how good the act is all the time he just thinks their segments run too long (because wwe has no depth) and that wwe is killing the act as a result

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

But it's stupid to say Roman isn't over! He's just over with a rapidly diminishing fanbase...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Chromatic posted:

There's only a couple of scenarios I can think of where the WWE goes out of business

- Ratings continue to tank to the point where they aren't helping USA anymore. A mixture of apathy (on the part of USA) and arrogance (on the part of the WWE) leads the WWE to look for a new home.
- The WWE takes a pay cut to gain some credibility by landing on a 'real' sports channel like ESPN 2. Sports fans are outraged. Ratings continue to slip and effect business.
- Disney sticks with it as a cheap way to fill time before eventually buying the WWE. After a couple of years, they pull the plug on day-to-day operations and keep the archives.
or
- Disney dumps the WWE. Nobody will pay the rates they want and they decide to go Network only. Raise the price to reflect losing the TV deal, lose some fans, raise the price more to try compensate for lost fans. Rinse, wash, repeat until their whole business is shriveled up. Some unknown corporation swoops in, buys what's left of the company for the archives.

And you'd probably have to mix in Vince dying or pulling a George Lucas somewhere.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 9, 2015

bartok
May 10, 2006

How is Roman Reigns merchandise selling? I have yet to see anyone wearing a Roman shirt out in the wild.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I gotta have more Bad Day

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

2.5 is the kind of number that kills most sci-fi/fantasy shows. Luckily this is wrestling, so it's more like anime.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

You'd have to think his merch is selling at least decently, or else they wouldn't be churning it out constantly.

Churning is really the right word for Roman merch, too.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Delsaber posted:

2.5 is the kind of number that kills most sci-fi/fantasy shows. Luckily this is wrestling, so it's more like anime.

I had such hope for Helix too :smith:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Alain Post posted:

Wow what a jabr-

oatgan posted:

He doesn't hate the new day he puts over how good the act is all the time he just thinks their segments run too long (because wwe has no depth) and that wwe is killing the act as a result
Oh he's not wrong. They can't keep cutting 10 minute long promos every week; it's going to get stale.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

New day is already getting a little stale imo

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
And we're at the point where PSP is turning on New Day because they're in the mainstream and no longer the secret shining turd that everyone saw them as.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
If Sasha twerking is in their rotation now, I think the New Day is going to be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Xenoletum posted:

And we're at the point where PSP is turning on New Day because they're in the mainstream and no longer the secret shining turd that everyone saw them as.

No we're loving not.

• Locked thread