Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It's awesome because EP are listed as rare coins from a lost empire or whatever but you still find them everywhere and merchants take them at their value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

People: do not read the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
How did 4E do currency? Was it closer to how d20 Modern did it, or did 4E just simplify everything to a GP cost?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

4e had 1 gold = 10 silver = 100 copper. 90% of relevant PC gear was priced in gold; silver & copper were mostly used for some incidental fluff junk like the standard price of a common meal. Platinum was worth 100 gold, for when you got too much gold to carry, and there were also astral diamonds that were 10,000 gold each, for when you shop at fancy places like Sigil and the City of Brass.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

GrizzlyCow posted:

How did 4E do currency? Was it closer to how d20 Modern did it, or did 4E just simplify everything to a GP cost?

Copper and Silver existed but were rarely used outside of buying gear at level 1. Otherwise everything was in terms of GP that I can recall. Platinum and Astral Diamonds existed to make your wallet weigh less.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Kaysette posted:

"I'll take a venti potion of healing."

"Ok, that'll be seven half-dollars."

This makes sense if the vendor is interested in the value of the silver in the half-dollars, not the face value of the coinage.

Practically, it falls apart after three minutes of thinking about it, because high-fantasy economics is a stupid concept that should be thrown against the wall and then kicked in the groin a few times.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Radio Talmudist posted:

I don't use Fantasy Grounds, does this mean a PDF has been released for that platform?

Yes and no, it has a full text and picture conversion as well as functionality of all tables, variant rules and classes options as well as magic item forging and building that is pretty useful and good for the VTT.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Cat Face Joe posted:

People made about currency: do not read the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide.

On the other hand, if you are made of currency you may be a coin golem brought to life by the Mad Numismatist, doomed to walk the earth taking a penny and leaving a penny.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The currency thing is mostly yet more cargo cult design. In ye olde dungeon crawling days using lesser coins was a way to bulk up how much the PCs would have to carry (as coins DID have weight and encumberance). It was also the ol' VERISIMILITUDE thing of putting all normal, non-adventuring poo poo prices in silver (since the idea was that adventurers actually were constantly being ripped off, as towns would operate off something of a gold rush style economy).

So, you know, something that doesn't actually matter in modern D&D the way most people play. And yet, TRADITIOOOOOOON...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Having varying currencies is neat because it adds a bit more variety to loot piles than "you find 27 gp", "you find 1000 gp", etc. It serves the same purpose as the loot tables containing gemstones and art pieces.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, but those are good with a value pegged to gold, not a separate denomination of currency. The Player's Handbook doesn't list any prices in Paintings of Ogres Smoking Cigars

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
And that's a major flaw in the PHB!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

People made about currency: do not read the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide.
Oh? Why?

Really Pants posted:

4e had 1 gold = 10 silver = 100 copper. 90% of relevant PC gear was priced in gold; silver & copper were mostly used for some incidental fluff junk like the standard price of a common meal. Platinum was worth 100 gold, for when you got too much gold to carry, and there were also astral diamonds that were 10,000 gold each, for when you shop at fancy places like Sigil and the City of Brass.
I always kinda wanted to do a campaign where the PCs, at level 1, get a single astral diamond, and the goal of the campaign is to find somewhere that can make change.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zereth posted:

Oh? Why?
Every single nation mints coins of exchangeable and identical value with no exchange rate whatsoever, except when they don't.

quote:

Nearly every major power in Faerun has it's own currency: coins minted within it's borders that represent both its influence and material wealth. Most coins of pure composition and standard weight are accepted at face value across the continent, though not every city-state or nation bothers to mint every sort of coin.
Some of the most commonly found, and widely accepted, currency is summarized below. Each grouping is arranged in order of value, copper, silver, electrum, gold, and (when present) platinum.

<Insert list of coinage here, including specifically these>
Silverymoon: Glint, shield, sword, dragon, unicorn
Waterdeep: nib, shard, sambar, dragon, sun

Silverymoon also mints two special coins: the moon and the eclipsed moon. The moon is a crescent-shaped shining blue coin of electrum, valued at two unicorns in Silverymoon and nearby settlements and 1 unicorn everywhere else. The eclipsed moon stamps an electrum moon with a darker silver wedge to complete a round coin. It is worth 5 unicorns within the city and 2 unicorns everywhere else.
Waterdeep has it's own coins. the taol is a square piece of brass, worth two dragons in the city - and virtually worthless to anyone not trading with waterdeep. Most traders exchange their taols for standard coins before travelling. The "Harbor Moon" is a palm sized crescent of platinum inset with electrum, and is worth 50 dragons within the city, 30 dragons anywhere else. Its name comes from its common use in buying large amounts of cargo. Both coins are pierced to allow long chains of them to be carried on a string.
Baldur's gate sets the standard for minting trade bars - ingots of metal (usually silver) of an accepted size and weight in lieu of great piles of coins or gems for larger transactions. A 5 pound bar 6 inches long, 2 inches wide, and 1 inch thick, valued at 25 gp.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
I think the Sword Coast Adventures Guide deserves an acknowledgement for somehow including the worst Fighter and Rogue archetypes yet when they were already two of the worst classes in the game.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I want to know about these bad archetypes. Please tell me more.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

NachtSieger posted:

I only skimmed through the book my friend had, but:

The Purple Dragon Knight is meant to be 'kinda a warlord' but is basically worse than an equivalent level battlemaster or paladin in every way.
I forget what the rogue got but I remember it being not great.

My own personal wet fart award goes to the Radiant monk, whose level 3 ability is kinda cool and flavourful in a "you get to be Goku!!" way, and then all their other abilities are a disappointment.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Pretty much every class feature in D&D 5e with very few exceptions is a wet fart.

You're a level 6 land druid? You can move through difficult terrain at normal speed
At level 10, you can't be charmed or frightened by elementals or fey, and you are immune to poison and disease
At level 14, it's hard for animals and plants to attack you :geno:

You're a 7th level monk? You can use your action to stop being charmed or frightened
10th level. You are immune to poison and disease
15th level. You don't age or eat anymore :geno:

3rd level paladin? Immune to disease.
6th level. You and your friends get a bonus to saving throws.
10th level. You can't be frightened :geno:

Not a single one of these is any fun. D&D 5e is not a game designed with fun in mind. Every new Unearthed Arcana has a bunch of limp "rules" an unimaginative 14 year old would come up with if he was really desperately worried about any class being able to do anything cool at all. Also, spells exist.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Not ageing or eating sounds pretty cool and fun

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

Rogue has two archetypes, the Swashbuckler is arguably one of the stronger rogue archetypes (but that's a distinction much like 'world's strongest 8 year old') but the Mastermind is not.

Level 3: proficiency with disguise and forgery kits, and you can unerringly mimic anyone who you hear talk for 1 minute. Also you can use the help action against anyone in 30 feet of you
Level 9: if you spend 1 minute interacting with someone, you can ask the DM two questions that they have to answer truthfully. is their Int higher, is their Wis higher, is their Cha higher, or is their class level higher.
Level 13: you can force someone granting you cover to take an attack meant for you by spending your reaction
Level 17: You're immune to telepathy and can fake your thoughts. Also you cannot be magically compelled to tell the truth.

The Fighter is the Purple Dragon Knight.

Level 3: When you use your second wind 3 of your party members regain hit points equal to... your class level.
Level 7:You gain proficiency in Persuasion. Also people finally realize you're a Knight and they treat you better, or don't, depending on how much attention the DM is paying.
Level 10: You can use your action surge to grant someone else an action.
Level 15: When you make an Indomitable roll you can grant an ally that also failed it's saving throw the same effect
Level 17: You can use your action surge to grant two people an action, but not yourself and someone else.

So if you're fine waiting until level 17 to actually get a mathematically positive benefit, it's an okay class.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I dunno, starting at level 10 you can give the spellcasters an action. That makes it better than the other fighter subclasses starting at level 10.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

mastershakeman posted:

It's neat, but the problem for Monks is that it takes up a similar slot to casters getting 8th level spells. I mean, it's better to have it than not, but it's pure flavor by the time you're 15th level and they should be getting stuff that's a lot more practical and powerful at that point.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

mastershakeman posted:

Really? In an actual played game both those things are almost always completely fluff, so taking up actually ability slots where stuff like an entire level of spellcasting exists is pretty bad design.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Boing posted:

Not a single one of these is any fun. D&D 5e is not a game designed with fun in mind. Every new Unearthed Arcana has a bunch of limp "rules" an unimaginative 14 year old would come up with if he was really desperately worried about any class being able to do anything cool at all. Also, spells exist.

This is what sticks out to me. So much of 5e is based on the idea of not actually paying attention to or caring about your actual mechanics, and it's a complete bore. 3.x eventually realized that dead levels were terrible and worked to remove them, and by 4e, you get something you can actually be excited about every level. 5e naturally has reversed this as hard as possible, and now most non-spellcasters have more or less nothing to look forward to after level, like, 5 or 6.

That's one of the things that sticks out to me with 5e. Like, I dislike 3.x greatly - greatly - but it still had things that were interesting. 5e WANTS to be dull. And like, cool, you did it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Even in a game where eating and aging actually matters, getting the ability to not do that is almost never going to be as cool as getting to actually do something. The fact that not aging will almost never come up in any game just makes it even worse. Not that passive or even fluff abilities don't have their place, but when that's presented as a major ability of the class, there's something deeply wrong with your design philosophy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is your definition of cool = getting a spell slot or spell like ability?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Is your definition of cool = tracking how hungry and old you are?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AlphaDog posted:

Is your definition of cool = tracking how hungry and old you are?

Well I've definitely had to track food on multiple characters and multiple campaigns, so being the one guy in the party who doesn't need to could be neat. Same with age coming up here and there but that's definitely less of a thing. Of course that doesn't even touch on the rping due to it

Come to think of it there were several pretty big plot points where a character who was able to go without food seriously impacted what happened.

Basically I'd rather have "don't age" or eat than +damage or once a day mega hurt someone or +to resists. Of course spells are better but it's too late to shut the barn door on that

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 9, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

In the type of campaign where needing to track food comes into play, then yes it will be important. However, combat happens in every campaign, and is universally worthwhile.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
Do any classes have an ability where they don't have to file taxes? That'd be pretty awesome in a campaign where filing taxes matters.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

in 5e? Yes, unfortunately.

Either way, if you're in a campaign where food and age matter, it's probably a thematic choice, and an ability to ignore food and age seems like it kinda detracts from that?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

like the only game I can think of where not needing to eat and not aging at all would be strong abilities in the course of normal gameplay is a very long-running Ars Magicka campaign

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I can't think of any game where you have to track eating and poo poo being interesting, especially if you then just get the ability to ignore it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

mastershakeman posted:

My definition of cool, and probably the definition of cool for anyone playing a game, is doing something.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ProfessorCirno posted:

My definition of cool, and probably the definition of cool for anyone playing a game, is doing something.

Basically, 'active abilities' tend to be more cool than 'passive abilities', especially when those passive abilities tend to be not very interesting.
"Everyone stops to eat for the day--"
"Except me, because I'm a monk! Heh!"
"Yeah, everyone except you, and then..."

And then to verge into video game speak - the LoL devs have a term called 'invisible power' for something that doesn't feel interesting or powerful or is just passive, but is actually strong, and they've made (I think) the right decision in removing it where they can in favour of 'visible power'. Like, one character had a power that gave everyone around him +10 damage for eight seconds. Over the course of a fight that's actually really impactful because with all your buddies around it means like an extra 300 damage done if everyone attacks six times in those eight seconds, but it just doesn't feel as cool or impactful as straight up DOING that 300 damage.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I may be channeling 3.5/PF, but isn't the issue of food already solved by spells and poo poo. Like a low-level spell to make food, a mid-level spell to not need food, and a low-level magical item to ignore food. Aging is a net benefit for casters, and it is also not very relevant in how most people do campaigns. We're talking a couple of decades for humans, and for non-humans, aging is a funny concept unless you're planning for a centuries spanning game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

djw175 posted:

I can't think of any game where you have to track eating and poo poo being interesting, especially if you then just get the ability to ignore it.

Well, Torchbearer is a pretty legit game, but it also builds itself entirely about elements like that. 5e isn't Torchbearer.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Well I've definitely had to track food on multiple characters and multiple campaigns, so being the one guy in the party who doesn't need to could be neat. Same with age coming up here and there but that's definitely less of a thing. Of course that doesn't even touch on the rping due to it

Come to think of it there were several pretty big plot points where a character who was able to go without food seriously impacted what happened.

Basically I'd rather have "don't age" or eat than +damage or once a day mega hurt someone or +to resists. Of course spells are better but it's too late to shut the barn door on that

e: I'm sorry about coming across as hostile, it wasn't intended. I actually kind of agree with what you're saying, I just don't think that this version of this game supports that sort of ability in the same way that it supports "+x hit +y damage" or "you can shoot an extra two arrows" or similar things. I haven't seen any material in Next that suggests that "you can't starve" or even "you can't catch diseases" is ever going to be as relevant as "you get an extra attack". That neat noncombat stuff used to come up heaps in AD&D hexcrawls and I have good memories of it, I just don't think it's relevant to the current game.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 9, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd characterize 5e's class and ability as unambitious, and purely functional, except where spells allow you to do a little somethin' somethin' because it's D&D magic.

In the 3.5e game I'm running, the martial players are a Crusader and a Barbarian/Fighter-Dungeoncrasher multi-class.

Now, the Crusader we're all familiar with as a powerful class as they come from Tome of Battle, but even the Barb/Fighter can Trip my monsters all day on top of being able to Bull Rush them into a wall for 4d6 or some ridiculous amount of damage, on top of being able to Rage. And when he gets to the War Hulk PrC, he's going to be able to cleave the poo poo out of fools while the +2 STR per level to replace the 0 BAB progression is going to escalate his Trip and Bull Rush checks something awful.

5e doesn't really get fired up that much. Even when it works, it's not exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zereth posted:

Oh? Why?

I always kinda wanted to do a campaign where the PCs, at level 1, get a single astral diamond, and the goal of the campaign is to find somewhere that can make change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAgI51QvWxs