Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Yeah DDP as Sarah Callaway's stalker, and looking like a loser throughout, was done because Taker thought he couldn't work (which wasn't an unpopular opinion on DDP at the time because he liked to pre-plan his matches meticulously and took some bumps in an unorthodox manner)

I'm positive the Red Rooster wasn't a rib or any attempt to sabotage Taylor's career, though. Vince is just crazy and thought it would get over -- WWF actually planted Rooster fans ("Rooster Boosters") in crowds in an attempt to raise support for the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Rooster and The Dragon didn't seem like burials as much as they were just McMahon making cartoon characters as was his wont.
Of course I could be wrong.

Another question: With all this talk about Tater Tots, are there any prominent examples of a worker trying to get a chant over and failing? Because I swear fans will chant anything.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

which chris jericho is generally looked back on with more fondness, WCW jericho or WWE jericho? if you had to introduce someone to his body of work, what would be the reference point?

with that being said, what's the general consensus of him on this forum? I get mixed messages on him being good or bad

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

In-ring his cruiserweight WCW stuff is the best of his career but on the other hand his 2008 feud with Michaels was his best feud.

Jericho is really solid in the ring and on the mic but he's a drunk dad in his forties who wants to pretend he's a rockstar.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

The Rooster and The Dragon didn't seem like burials as much as they were just McMahon making cartoon characters as was his wont.
Of course I could be wrong.

Another question: With all this talk about Tater Tots, are there any prominent examples of a worker trying to get a chant over and failing? Because I swear fans will chant anything.

The Rock's sporadic mid-2000's appearances seemed to be like this, didn't he try to get the crowd chanting Popcorn Fart at Coachman one Raw?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rookie here who's been watching Raw for the last month. Does Smackdown feature the same roster as well or is it a different cast of characters?

I keep forgetting Smackdown exists and will be disappointed if I've deprived myself an end of week fix of The New Day.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CBJSprague24 posted:

Rookie here who's been watching Raw for the last month. Does Smackdown feature the same roster as well or is it a different cast of characters?

I keep forgetting Smackdown exists and will be disappointed if I've deprived myself an end of week fix of The New Day.

It's the same. There used to be a brand split that had different wrestlers on the two shows (sometimes with crossover) but they ended that a few years back.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Ostentatious posted:

which chris jericho is generally looked back on with more fondness, WCW jericho or WWE jericho? if you had to introduce someone to his body of work, what would be the reference point?

with that being said, what's the general consensus of him on this forum? I get mixed messages on him being good or bad

He had some really good promos in his feud with Stephanie's boob job and his WWE debut was kind of amazing but everything in between was kind of bad.

You really kind of have to start with WCW for the ring work, but his character / promo work was really good when he hit his stride in WWE in like 2002 or 2003.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Perry Saturn getting Moppy but that ended up putting him over...

Wasn't the New Day created to punish Big E and Kofi for something, I swear I heard that on B&V or something way back.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FunMerrania posted:

Perry Saturn getting Moppy but that ended up putting him over...

Wasn't the New Day created to punish Big E and Kofi for something, I swear I heard that on B&V or something way back.

No, IIRC it was an alternative after the New Nation gimmick got shelved because of the Ferguson protests.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ostentatious posted:

1. Armbar

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ChrisBTY posted:

With all this talk about Tater Tots, are there any prominent examples of a worker trying to get a chant over and failing? Because I swear fans will chant anything.

YEP YEP YEP, WHAT IT DO

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ChrisBTY posted:

R-Truth's replacing "What's Up" with "Get Krunk."

They tried to get fans to chant "CREEPY LITTLE BASTARD!" at Christian to the point of having Austin lead the crowd and it didn't work.

Edge's brief and disastrous face run where he tried to make "SPEAR... SPEAR... SPEAR..." a thing.

When Chris Jericho came back from being gone several years, he did this thing where he tried to get the crowd chanting "Me want title match!" but screwed up the rhythm, so it didn't take.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

titties posted:

He had some really good promos in his feud with Stephanie's boob job and his WWE debut was kind of amazing but everything in between was kind of bad.

You really kind of have to start with WCW for the ring work, but his character / promo work was really good when he hit his stride in WWE in like 2002 or 2003.

His character/promo work was pretty good in WCW once he turned heel. His feud with Malenko was one of my favorite things happening on either show when it was going on.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Jericho wasn't a heel, he gave Dave Penzer a jacket every week.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat was made an actual dragon for a while, because Vince can't leave well enough alone.

Sheamus got the "King Sheamus" gimmick, and Finlay got the midget, which were both attempts by Kevin Dunn to destroy them as I understand.

The Nexus angle had one really hot night and then was slowly buried from that point onward. As an aside, apparently either Vince or Stephanie were surprised and annoyed that Bryan didn't care that he was fired, since even at that point he was making more money on the indies.

Didn't they basically tell him they had to fire him due to outside pressure (Mattel) and would rehire him after a couple months when everything died down? Then again I could see Vince saying that and *also* being annoyed that Bryan didn't care.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The way I've heard it told here was that Vince was actually pretty impressed that Bryan just rolled with it in saying the the WWE exposure would keep him pretty well paid in the indies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HerraS posted:

In-ring his cruiserweight WCW stuff is the best of his career but on the other hand his 2008 feud with Michaels was his best feud.

Jericho is really solid in the ring and on the mic but he's a drunk dad in his forties who wants to pretend he's a rockstar.

Jericho's in ring stuff was much better in WWE. His WCW run was all promos, only a few really great matches.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What was Mattel's problem with Daniel Bryan? Was he too much of a vanilla midget for their toy purposes?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

What was Mattel's problem with Daniel Bryan? Was he too much of a vanilla midget for their toy purposes?

Bryan choked Justin Roberts with a necktie on live TV

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Nessus posted:

He choked Justin Roberts with his own tie during the Nexus invasion RAW and Mattel really disliked that as they thought it might get copied by schoolkids

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

rotinaj posted:

Have the Bella Twins ever done anything good and cool in pro wrestling? I can't remember any times they were enjoyable, just bad matches and awful segments with worse acting.

Brie had a shockingly good match with Stephanie McMahon at Summerslam 14. The Bella feud that followed was loving atrocious though.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I don't remember it being anything above horseshit

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
People here only thought that match was good because they were busy jerking off over an old woman in BDSM gear.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
since when is 39 an old woman

also, shes a babe in a grinch kind of way

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
i think john cena's an old man and he's a year younger, w/e. she's a nice looking older lady sure but that was not a good match.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MotU posted:

since when is 39 an old woman

also, shes a babe in a grinch kind of way

you become old at 27

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I'm 27

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

me too. i guess i know what old is....

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

you're old

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

hell yeah young and vital for another year

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I'm 28, might as well start my retirement tour

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think it had mostly died down by the tie incident but there was also some issue with Bryan in NXT because of the "YOU'RE GONNA GET YOUR FUCKIN' HEAD KICKED IN" chant that followed him from the indies.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

I'm turning 27 this Sunday.

Time to prepare myself for two disappointments that day.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I'm turning 26 in three weeks and debating whether I want to live that long

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Petit Gregory posted:

I'm turning 27 this Sunday.

Time to prepare myself for two disappointments that day.

no way thats my birthday too

lets be disappointed together

well not the 27 part, but still

Ostentatious fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 9, 2015

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Y'all are young

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm not. I'm 31 but feel younger than I did five years ago. Praise be to good posts & jiujitsu.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
So the backstage stuff fascinating about relationships and dating. Are Becky Lynch and Finn Balor dating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
When you're like 15 even 30 is like super old.