Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Renegret posted:

My boss used to give me poo poo for not charging customers the $30 "Half hour service" fee for dumb poo poo that I could fix in under 30 seconds. I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to take money from someone if all I had to do was flick the WiFi switch on the side of their computer to "on", or drag the taskbar back to the bottom of the screen and lock it.

My sales numbers were consistently some of the lowest in the department and I could not have given any less of a poo poo about that.

Shortly after I left I heard that they changed the structure of Geek Squad because they finally realized that different people had different strengths, and maybe you should leave the smart ones in the back fixing poo poo so things are actually done right. I also heard that, in true Best Buy fashion, they hosed it up somehow anyway.

If you were at a smaller place, or even as a contractor, you gotta charge people something, sometimes, or the company doesn't make much money. I've always been told to look at it as 30 seconds for you, 3 hours for someone else, if they're lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

spankmeister posted:

Most of whom also speak English.

Albeit with a different funny accent.

You'd be surprised at how terrible some of them are at it though. But it's really funny when they literally translate Dutch/Flemish expressions into English or let some French words sneak in.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

allez bon soit

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

flosofl posted:

I have have even better idea. How about people start treating their phones like the expensive devices they are?

Every picture I see like this, its always some moron who probably takes better care of the trinkets received from a Happy Meal. It bends when you sit on it? You don't say! How about not sitting on it for a change?
easier to complain when it breaks.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

If you were at a smaller place, or even as a contractor, you gotta charge people something, sometimes, or the company doesn't make much money. I've always been told to look at it as 30 seconds for you, 3 hours for someone else, if they're lucky.

Yeah, you should stop thinking about how much time it took you, and instead think about how much time it saved them.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

spankmeister posted:

Most of whom also speak English.

Albeit with a different funny accent.

Personally, I love the Dutch accent in spoken English. The exaggerated "-sh" sound in everything is awesome.

"Why yesh, I shpeak Dutsh. Why do you ashk?"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Agrikk posted:

Personally, I love the Dutch accent in spoken English. The exaggerated "-sh" sound in everything is awesome.

The Yankees current shortstop is a dude from Curacao, and it was a real letdown when I found out he didn't have a hilarious Dutch accent.

Thankfully he's good at baseball so I don't mind too much.

EDIT: Also he's a knight.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dragyn posted:

Unless they're double-double agents...

Mmm, double-double agent. With fries animal style, and a small shake.

Excuse me I'll be right back

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Rawrbomb posted:

Been in that boat, and its tough. That 30 second fix sometimes gets you a customer for life...or a guy who thinks you can fix everything in 30 seconds for free. For our shop, it worked out okay, and the place did well, but we definitely could have had more money with the same number of customers by charging for things more often. We did do a lot of "grab us a round of coffee as payment", which most people seemed really happy to do. $10 for them, 30 seconds for us, and more caffeine to keep us going.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If someone walks into our shop with a quick question I'd be happy to help them for free if I'm not too busy. If I need to drive somewhere they're getting charged no matter how simple the fix is, it just takes too long to get anywhere with traffic.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

spankmeister posted:

Yes hello ai em sefal ai wil tietsj joe how toe inloggen

I just snarfed an olive.

Potato Alley posted:

Mmm, double-double agent. With fries animal style, and a small shake.

Excuse me I'll be right back

Me TOO!

...in 2 days.
https://goo.gl/maps/Tg5qvupfnLU2

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A word salad came in

quote:

Jane has sceduloe room in build. She can not see the info in so room after she has themmsecudule. Example: Jane has room 255 she see the info. yet in 234, 233,& 232 she only see a blue filling, busy.

I read it in the "how is babby formed" voice.

Returned to frontline: not enough info.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
A hard drive came in.

Customer brings in an old LaCie 250GB (!!!) external hard drive, the kind that requires its own power supply and comes with FireWire ports. Says he hadn't plugged it in in years, and when he tried now it won't mount at all. He also complained of a noise that sounded like "static," that the previous tech he talked to here said was probably from a damaged or clogged fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSCaBKmyVnw

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
gently caress LaCie forever. They were releasing 1TB drives that were actually just 2 500GB drives set up in RAID0.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

gently caress LaCie forever. They were releasing 1TB drives that were actually just 2 500GB drives set up in RAID0.

:wtc:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Apparently using the Scheduling Assistant built into Exchange is difficult to use. Dev schedules a meeting outside of my work schedule. I decline, saying so. He reschedules, at a time when I'm already in a meeting (which is visible in Scheduling Assistant). I declined again, with a note that I'm already in a meeting. He reschedules again, for the same goddamn time. I declined it with a suggestion for an hour earlier or later and he responds with a curt "I'm busy at 9, just schedule it for when you're available".

The temptation to schedule it at 9 was almost too much to resist.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I poo poo you not. They were enormous, too, since they were using 3.5" drives arranged side by side.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 8, 2015

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Segmentation Fault posted:

A hard drive came in.

Customer brings in an old LaCie 250GB (!!!) external hard drive, the kind that requires its own power supply and comes with FireWire ports. Says he hadn't plugged it in in years, and when he tried now it won't mount at all. He also complained of a noise that sounded like "static," that the previous tech he talked to here said was probably from a damaged or clogged fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSCaBKmyVnw

Hey! We have 2 of them at work(well 1 now)! They were supposed to be the backups for the design department's macs one for each. Well they ran out of space and never told the previous IT guy who told me they were backup only and great. One of them died my first week. They have no idea what was on it, they just moved old stuff to it. Because we don't know what was on it CEO doesn't want to spend money to try and recover the drive (the drive need a professional to look at it, nothing will read it, very likely the controller which I don't want to gently caress around with). I gave a last ditch buy same model and strip the controller price tag to read the data, CEO doesn't want to take the risk incase the data is actually stuff we want to print.

The plan is to wait until they can't find something and if everything else is ruled out have a professional company recover the LACIE. I'm going to sit on this thing for years not being able to throw it out because it could be everything we need or worthless garbage. I was kind of hoping the price of recovery with the low odds would get the drive into the bin but nope right into the fire safe!

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

quote:

my macbook air - it's simply not performing very well. I think it needs a full backup (I'll bring my external drive) and I'm really only wanting to save the pics and videos of my kids ( on the hard drive) - maybe wipe it and update the OS. It's a good machine and I think I can get more years out of it. Thanks!

Used Disk Inventory X to see what was taking up the most space and needed to be backed up. Saw that the Mail folder was using like 33 gigs, so I made the mistake of opening up the application so I would know what accounts were set up and such:

:stonk: Let me ask about this.

quote:

I never use Apple Mail or Outlook- you can remove all of that. Anytime mail opened it would crash but I use gmail 100% of the time.

:stare: I see.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MiniFoo posted:

quote:

I never use Apple Mail or Outlook- you can remove all of that. Anytime mail opened it would crash but I use gmail 100% of the time.
Don't believe her lies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Probably hasn't been taking their pills.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Dutch people sound like they're having a party 24x7 each time i talk on the phone to them

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

luminalflux posted:

Dutch people sound like they're having a party 24x7 each time i talk on the phone to them

I used to work for a bank based in Amsterdam and Rotterdam in the global security team. There was some strangeness happening at the headquarters and I ended up getting called into a meeting at 3:00 AM my time. Everyone was yammering away in Dutch, and I just went, "Um.. Hello? Ignorant American here, can only speak one language" These guys switched mid-loving-sentence to English like it was no big deal. Monolingual me was impressed.

Anyone have that one job where everything is perfect? The job is challenging, there's a ton of support from C-level, room for advancement, and a great team? That was this one. And then our loving CEO/Chairman went shopping for a retirement parachute. RBS/Fortis/Santander/Bank of America came in and hosed everything up. Managed to turn a smooth security framework we spent several years building from the ground up into a smoking wreck. Left pretty quickly after that. The latest one is pretty drat good but I much less insulated from the political bullshit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rawrbomb posted:

Which is why I'm going to work for big businesses with a steady paycheck for the rest of my life.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Which is why I'm going to work for big businesses with a steady paycheck for the rest of my life.

Yup. Just yup.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

For some odd reason every single person in "The Media/Broadcasting Business" has a raging boner for LaCie. Probably because of the Mac-like design. It took me years to teach people at my former workplace that LaCie has been making utter crap since.. forever, and to save their money and buy anything else.

However, just as I was leaving that place LaCie released their Thunderbolt HDDs, and the cycle started again. :sigh:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Crowley posted:

For some odd reason every single person in "The Media/Broadcasting Business" has a raging boner for LaCie. Probably because of the Mac-like design. It took me years to teach people at my former workplace that LaCie has been making utter crap since.. forever, and to save their money and buy anything else.

However, just as I was leaving that place LaCie released their Thunderbolt HDDs, and the cycle started again. :sigh:

It's cargo cult nonsense really, people are just led to believe something at first and they stick to those beliefs. It's also why Macs are seen as inherently "better" for "creative" things, despite not being so at all on the software front and not having any hardware difference for over a decade now.

There's almost no evidence backing up LaCie being good or Macs being superior at media production but people buy into it because other people bought into it. It takes a magnitude more effort to refute bullshit than it does to perpetuate it, and a lot of unconscious effort is being expended on perpetuating these myths.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

My favorite is the belief that macs make better hacker platforms once you put linux on them.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Inspector_666 posted:

I poo poo you not. They were enormous, too, since they were using 3.5" drives arranged side by side.

Holy poo poo. This explains so much about the 1TB LaCie drive I had. :psyduck:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Using 2x 500GB drives to make a 1TB storage unit wouldn't be a bad idea if you could select if you wanted them striped or mirrored, but I'm going to guess the Lacie ones are just JBOD.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RFC2324 posted:

My favorite is the belief that macs make better hacker platforms once you put linux on them.

That's just silly; Macs don't get viruses.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Collateral Damage posted:

Using 2x 500GB drives to make a 1TB storage unit wouldn't be a bad idea if you could select if you wanted them striped or mirrored, but I'm going to guess the Lacie ones are just JBOD.

I think someone earlier said they're RAID 0, which probably ends up being worse than JBOD for most applications.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Any email discussion paraphrased from earlier today;

:science:"You'll need to fill out form [NUMBER] in the ordering system."

:downs: "Can you tell me which form do I need to fill out to do this?"

:cripes:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Excuse my ignorance (bliss) or not having to set up storage configurations, but what is the issue with setting up two 500GB drives and calling it a 1TB drive? Is it because RAID0 offers no parity so if either drive fails, the whole thing fails?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

nexus6 posted:

Excuse my ignorance (bliss) or not having to set up storage configurations, but what is the issue with setting up two 500GB drives and calling it a 1TB drive? Is it because RAID0 offers no parity so if either drive fails, the whole thing fails?

In a word, yes. You're adding a needless point of failure.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nexus6 posted:

Pretty much.
If it was two disks where it was "spanned" then it wouldn't be terrible, but it does mean that if there's a failure, half the data would be lost.

With RAID 0 (striped), you get a performance boost, but it increases your risk of data loss because a single failure will result in total loss.

More importantly, it's just dishonest.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Pretty much.
If it was two disks where it was "spanned" then it wouldn't be terrible, but it does mean that if there's a failure, half the data would be lost.

With RAID 0 (striped), you get a performance boost, but it increases your risk of data loss because a single failure will result in total loss.

More importantly, it's just dishonest.

This is the industry that forced the whole 1000MB=1GB down everyone's throats.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Alighieri posted:

This is the industry that forced the whole 1000MB=1GB down everyone's throats.

It's the closest thing we have to a metric system in common use in the US, and it's a lie. Don't take that away from us.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Collateral Damage posted:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think someone earlier said they're RAID 0, which probably ends up being worse than JBOD for most applications.

They came RAID0 out of the box. Maybe you could re-initialize them as RAID1 or JBOD, but people were buying them for the 1TB storage, so that wasn't anything listed on the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
An actual interview came in :ohdear:

• Locked thread