Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
The real question is how long we'll have to wait to get snow-covered Wastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

It's really odd, then, that the flagship big colorless dude (newzilek) feels very blue. Draw some cards, and here have a way to counter some spells.
Not really. Kozilek is associated with knowledge, but blue has the related effects pretty firmly locked down. This lets you put them on your giant eldrazi for the big colorless deck without allowing those blue-ish effects to bleed into every other colour.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
With people calling this the 6th color, I am reminded of the old 6th color, purple. between red and blue. What are the odds the blue bleed is intentional?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Gensuki posted:

With people calling this the 6th color, I am reminded of the old 6th color, purple. between red and blue. What are the odds the blue bleed is intentional?

Purple/Green being opposite to each other was meant to highlight the fight between the Natural and the Unnatural, wasn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if some of those old design documents were a part of it?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i dont know if im estragon or vladimir but im def Waiting For Goodpost

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
no im def estragon my boots hurt :cry:

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Olothreutes posted:

It's really odd, then, that the flagship big colorless dude (newzilek) feels very blue. Draw some cards, and here have a way to counter some spells.

Also the wastes, at least as I see them, are pretty well tied to the eldrazi flavor right now. Sure you can have them elsewhere with little to no problem, but they seem to be leaning towards "these lands produce colorless because of eldrazi taint" in both the theme and in the art with the bismuth looking eldrazi effect. So if the eldrazi have really hosed off into the wild and they start to taint other planes, wastes continue to make sense in this manner. If not, or if we move to a plane that they haven't been to yet, do we just ignore this mechanic for a set/block or do we have other wastes that produce the same thing but aren't from the same source?

"Wastes" is also a conspicuously small, good word for a land. Wizards wouldn't use it for something they wouldn't reprint, they'd make up a word or use a phrase.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

black potus posted:

no im def estragon my boots hurt :cry:

my hat itches.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

black potus posted:

i dont know if im estragon or vladimir but im def Waiting For Goodpost

Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Rosewater of a personal Game Designer quaquaquaqua with colorless mana quaquaquaqua outside time without expansions who from the heights of divine apathia divine athambia divine aphasia makes new set mechanic designs dearly with some exceptions for reasons unknown but time will tell and suffers like the divine Nagel with those who for reasons unknown but time will tell are plunged in Oath of the Gatewatch plunged in ghostfire whose ghostfire flames if that continues and who can doubt it will fire the firmament that is to say blast heaven to hell so colorless still and calm so calm with a calm which even though intermittent is better than nothing but not so Instant-speed and considering what is more that as a result of the color pies left unfinished crowned by the Resesesesearch and Develelelelopment of Wizzy-in-Coasty of Garfield it is established beyond all doubt all other doubt than that which clings to the mana bases of men that as a result of the labours unfinished of Garfield it is established as hereinafter but not so fast for reasons unknown that as a result of the public works of Rosewater it is established beyond all doubt that in view of the labours of Hill and Verhey left unfinished for reasons unknown of Garfield left unfinished it is established what many deny that man in Wizzy of Garfield that man in Renton that man in short that man in brief in spite of the strides of untapping and upkeeping is seen to discard and draw discard and draw and concurrently simultaneously what is more for reasons unknown in spite of the strides of cardboard culture the practice of formats such as standard modern legacy two-headed giant drafting sealed EDH prismatic tiny leaders Momir basic pauper mental magic pack wars of all kinds vintage 100-card singleton formats of all sorts modern season standard season fall sets spring sets supplemental products of all kinds deckboxes of all sorts reserved lists and banlists in a word I resume and concurrently simultaneously for reasons unknown to tap and untap in spite of standard I resume rotisserie draft no-ban modern sealed with six and four packs formats of all sorts in a word for reasons unknown

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Not really. Kozilek is associated with knowledge, but blue has the related effects pretty firmly locked down. This lets you put them on your giant eldrazi for the big colorless deck without allowing those blue-ish effects to bleed into every other colour.

Sure, and not letting the blue stuff bleed out is good, but I thought that the idea was to emphasize the mechanical identity of the colorless stuff. It's definitely in flavor/character for Kozilek, just not exactly the sort of mechanical identity that I think people are hoping will get pushed when it comes to colorless stuff.

Gensuki posted:

Niton posted:

Purple/Green being opposite to each other was meant to highlight the fight between the Natural and the Unnatural, wasn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if some of those old design documents were a part of it?

The purple color was one of the things they considered for planar chaos before going with the colorshifted cards that give Maro heartburn anytime someones says Harmonize. The idea was that it would fall between black and blue on the color wheel and would take a few things from each of them. Discard was one that it was supposed to borrow from black, I don't recall the rest. It was supposed to be the direct enemy color of green, and the basic land was the City. Ultimately it just turned out to be too hard to get a reasonable number of cities and purple cards into the packs and you still had to figure out if the card backs were going to change or not.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hopping Ghost posted:

Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Rosewater of a personal Game Designer quaquaquaqua with colorless mana quaquaquaqua outside time without expansions who from the heights of divine apathia divine athambia divine aphasia makes new set mechanic designs dearly with some exceptions for reasons unknown but time will tell and suffers like the divine Nagel with those who for reasons unknown but time will tell are plunged in Oath of the Gatewatch plunged in ghostfire whose ghostfire flames if that continues and who can doubt it will fire the firmament that is to say blast heaven to hell so colorless still and calm so calm with a calm which even though intermittent is better than nothing but not so Instant-speed and considering what is more that as a result of the color pies left unfinished crowned by the Resesesesearch and Develelelelopment of Wizzy-in-Coasty of Garfield it is established beyond all doubt all other doubt than that which clings to the mana bases of men that as a result of the labours unfinished of Garfield it is established as hereinafter but not so fast for reasons unknown that as a result of the public works of Rosewater it is established beyond all doubt that in view of the labours of Hill and Verhey left unfinished for reasons unknown of Garfield left unfinished it is established what many deny that man in Wizzy of Garfield that man in Renton that man in short that man in brief in spite of the strides of untapping and upkeeping is seen to discard and draw discard and draw and concurrently simultaneously what is more for reasons unknown in spite of the strides of cardboard culture the practice of formats such as standard modern legacy two-headed giant drafting sealed EDH prismatic tiny leaders Momir basic pauper mental magic pack wars of all kinds vintage 100-card singleton formats of all sorts modern season standard season fall sets spring sets supplemental products of all kinds deckboxes of all sorts reserved lists and banlists in a word I resume and concurrently simultaneously for reasons unknown to tap and untap in spite of standard I resume rotisserie draft no-ban modern sealed with six and four packs formats of all sorts in a word for reasons unknown

Can I have my :10bux: now?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I escaped from the lair of Randy Buehler but was unable to destroy him. I lost all of my research, the world may never know the truth. I can't reveal it now if I want to stay out of his ever watchful eye

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
An evolving wilds can get a wastes right?

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

An evolving wilds can get a wastes right?

Yep. It can also get the snow basics.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Angry Grimace, do you have a link about those post-litigation changes to Hex? I can't seem to find info from 2015 and would love to share it with a friend.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I for one eagerly await the Basic Land Type/Wastes fetchlands.

Also the Basic/Wastes typed duals.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

loss.dec

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Count Bleck posted:

I for one eagerly await the Basic Land Type/Wastes fetchlands.

Also the Basic/Wastes typed duals.

There's no new basic land type.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm always antsy about Judge Conference deadlines, and it annoys me. The deadline for the Winter one in my region is coming up in ~1 week, and I can't decide to go or not, mostly because I have a hard time parting with cards. But at the same time, the promos are crazy (Ravages of War, Wasteland, Damnation, and more), and I figure that the Ravages alone is the whole trip.

I think it's just me being bad with cards and time, but it keeps happening and it's annoying, it's not like it'd be a ludicrous cost or anything (plane is 100 euro, and I think I can go by train to the location for an extra 4 euro or so)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

What even happen at Judge Conferences anyway? Besides the free cards.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ramos posted:

Hanging out with a bunch of Judges, networking kinda, listening to presentations about stuff, workshops... Drafts and stuff in the evenings. I've been wanting to get back in the Judging groove when I get home and it seems like a good opportunity to get a start. "Hey I haven't been around a lot, how do I get started?" etc.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

EatinCake posted:

The real question is how long we'll have to wait to get snow-covered Wastes.
I wanna know how they're gonna combine ♦ and the snow mana symbol for colorless snow mana.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Ramos posted:

Depends on your level, typically though the most important part is you attend presentations and participate in workshops relevant to different aspects of being a Judge. You'll meet other judges from your area or sometimes very distant and just chat, which is nice but the big reason the program pushes them is as a way to just continue education for Judges.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dr. Stab posted:

There's no new basic land type.

I never said there was?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

In the realm of absolutely loving weird, my friend showed me this recent post on the competitive magic reddit. I don't know, I'm not sure if it's really notable, it's just odd. I'd have a crack at what the encrypted message is, but I'm currently at work.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I never said there was?

he's being a pedantic idiot and saying that typed dual lands would be impossible, since wastes isn't a type

i mean they can easily just make a non basic land - forest with additional text saying tap for diamond mana, which is basically the same thing

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Ramos posted:

In the realm of absolutely loving weird, my friend showed me this recent post on the competitive magic reddit. I don't know, I'm not sure if it's really notable, it's just odd. I'd have a crack at what the encrypted message is, but I'm currently at work.

This is the same guy that tried to buy CFB out of Seance just so he could destroy them.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Eddie Whitson posted:

This is the same guy that tried to buy CFB out of Seance just so he could destroy them.

The combination of MTGFinance ineptitude and Bitcoin idiocy is just amazing.

"I'm going to become a financial puppetmaser by buying up and destroying all the copies of a card nobody is using to begin with, then I'll pay a professional kids game player to showcase it in their deck, thus sending the card's value up, up, up!"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ramos posted:

So I see MTGOX has actually come around full circle. :3:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
there's no chat thread anymore so this is the closest thread i have to post about card game bullshit

there's a kickstarter to resurrect VS System

i look forward to that game dying, again

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Looking forward to Phyrexians and Living Weapon costing <> in a future set.

It's interesting reading the opposing sides right now: "semi-sixth color will poo poo in my cheerios!" vs "it could be fun."

It's like Miracles all over again, except Miracles was universally bad from a gameplay point of view.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
It's at least something new. BFZ had poo poo for new mechanics. Awaken is the most exciting thing in that set, and just barely. I'd rather they try and fail spectacularly than print a sub core set level of interesting stuff.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Ramos posted:

It's not an encrypted message, it's their public PGP key that you would use if you wanted to send them an encrypted message or file. I'm assuming this is someone that's super-paranoid about anything on the internet and wants all emails to be encrypted so that Wizards/the NSA can't spy on them and figure out who's behind this secretive speculation scheme.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

NivMizzet posted:

It's not an encrypted message, it's their public PGP key that you would use if you wanted to send them an encrypted message or file. I'm assuming this is someone that's super-paranoid about anything on the internet and wants all emails to be encrypted so that Wizards/the NSA can't spy on them and figure out who's behind this secretive speculation scheme.

How much are those 90 fakebux worth? If they are actually worth 40k as someone on reddit says, there is no way they are recouping their investment, even if they hoard all the Seances ever printed and burn half of them. Of coruse assuming this is not a huge scam/a crazy person taking MTGfinance to the utmos end.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

NivMizzet posted:

Yeah, I realized that after the fact.

The guy isn't claiming this is for money, but ha ha, right. There's even a few links in the comments about earlier messages across the internet involving the same guy trying to pay someone to destroy cards for him. I have to wonder if this guy just lives in a single room with nothing but a computer, a mail slot, and a toilet.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Ramos posted:

Yeah, I realized that after the fact.

The guy isn't claiming this is for money, but ha ha, right. There's even a few links in the comments about earlier messages across the internet involving the same guy trying to pay someone to destroy cards for him. I have to wonder if this guy just lives in a single room with nothing but a computer, a mail slot, and a toilet.

I'd go so far as to say he might only have the first two.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Foreskin Problems posted:

Angry Grimace, do you have a link about those post-litigation changes to Hex? I can't seem to find info from 2015 and would love to share it with a friend.

https://www.hextcg.com/core-system-changes-in-hex/

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Markovnikov posted:

How much are those 90 fakebux worth? If they are actually worth 40k as someone on reddit says, there is no way they are recouping their investment, even if they hoard all the Seances ever printed and burn half of them. Of coruse assuming this is not a huge scam/a crazy person taking MTGfinance to the utmos end.

Well helllllllooooo Basil! Is our bet still on? So if I can take a random bulk rare and move it to 2 dollars in the space of ooonnne pro tour I'll win our combined inheritances and if I lose you get the inheritances? Deeeelightful, I've selected seance from dark ascension, see you after the next pro tour *aristocratic titter*

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I want a remake of Trading Places that uses mtgfinance as its backdrop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

Well helllllllooooo Basil! Is our bet still on? So if I can take a random bulk rare and move it to 2 dollars in the space of ooonnne pro tour I'll win our combined inheritances and if I lose you get the inheritances? Deeeelightful, I've selected seance from dark ascension, see you after the next pro tour *aristocratic titter*

You joke, but I've seen worse pitches for movies get done. And it does seem the only way to make the scheme profitable.

• Locked thread