Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
No one has ever been a director of IT six times, I hope this information helps your hiring process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No one has ever been a director of IT six times, I hope this information helps your hiring process.

Hey dick trauma is on track for it at this pace

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I'm demoting 2x 2012R2 domain controllers, our forest functional level is 2012, and these DCs aren't being removed because of accessibility reasons, they are alive and doing fine, we just need to get rid of them because they are QA systems that don't actually have a mirror in our production environment.

Anyway, I'm just going to go through the GUI to run the demotion, is this article accurate: http://blogs.interfacett.com/how-to-demote-a-domain-controller-dc-in-windows-server-2012-active-directory-domain-services-ad-ds

Basically do the demotion, the server reboots, shouldn't be a DC anymore, check DNS and make sure that it doesn't have any records claiming it's a DC, and that should be it? Nothing manual provided everything goes correctly?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Make sure you've migrated any FSMO roles away from the servers you're demoting first.

edit: Read this. The article talks about 2003-2012 migration but the procedure applies any time you're demoting a DC.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 7, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MF_James posted:

Anyway, I'm just going to go through the GUI to run the demotion, is this article accurate: http://blogs.interfacett.com/how-to-demote-a-domain-controller-dc-in-windows-server-2012-active-directory-domain-services-ad-ds

Basically do the demotion, the server reboots, shouldn't be a DC anymore, check DNS and make sure that it doesn't have any records claiming it's a DC, and that should be it? Nothing manual provided everything goes correctly?

I just did something similar a few months ago and yes that should be it. Just be sure to double check DNS in your environment like you mentioned.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well, I start my new job as an IT dude who goes around to area hospitals and images their broken-rear end PC's. Wish me luck, goons :yotj:

If it's anything like here you are walking into one hell of an easy job.

We get lots of dumb tickets from Helpdesk, and upper management considers us a resource and not much more (Great job Clinical analyst on doing that HUGE migration [even though you didn't do any of the actual work imaging, installing and troubleshooting any of those PCs]).

Good luck, it can be a fun job!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Collateral Damage posted:

Make sure you've migrated any FSMO roles away from the servers you're demoting first.

edit: Read this. The article talks about 2003-2012 migration but the procedure applies any time you're demoting a DC.

Yeah FSMO roles are held by other DCs already.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I just did something similar a few months ago and yes that should be it. Just be sure to double check DNS in your environment like you mentioned.

Sweet, good to hear, I've been slacking on getting this done because I was worried I'd have to manually do all the DNS stuff/metadata cleanup but that appears to just be when you forcefully remove a DC that can no longer talk to the domain, is inaccessible, or dead.

v--- I can only imagine the havoc that would cause... no thanks.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 7, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MF_James posted:

Yeah FSMO roles are held by other DCs already.
All set to go then. Otherwise demoting a DC that holds FSMO roles usually ends in tears.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

That went surprisingly well. One of the 2 DCs left a few items in DNS that I had to manually clean, otherwise it was smooth.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Just put our first Win10 system to be managed by WSUS on the system and it shows up with an OS of Windows Vista. :waycool:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MF_James posted:

That went surprisingly well. One of the 2 DCs left a few items in DNS that I had to manually clean, otherwise it was smooth.

AD is pretty smooth when it comes to changes like that, it's not usually a problem unless you forget to check if the DC you're demoting is the PDC emulator.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask in, but I just got selected for a phone interview with Apple for a work from home Support role (applecare)

While not the most glamourous role I am definitely in need of the work so I want to make sure I am well prepared for the interview.

I have an ACSP cert from 10.6+ which has probably expired. having said that, due to the nature of my experience using macs I have rarely had to use any of the extended support features like safe mode/verbose mode and terminal commands (though I can navigate and list directories, create files and folders, change permissions etc)

What should I be ready for in terms of technical questions?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Unless it's Tier 2 Applecare, you don't need any of that knowledge. Just know a) Disk Utility, b) Activity Monitor, c) boot using Command-R to restore time machine backups, and... time machine backups.

Yeah, I did AppleCare Tech Support many many years ago. It's not the most complicated stuff (and anything that IS, is covered in detail in the internal kbase).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

After speaking with the HR guy, its definitely below my pay grade, although I went back and threw a bunch of applications at genius/expert stuff too so lets see how they go - I work better with people in person than on the phone, for sure.

whats progression like within apple once you're in? easy to move between teams?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Despite getting glowing positive performance reviews from my manager and seniors (performing beyond expectations). Getting compliments from other coworkers. I may get laid off the end of this year. My 2 seniors told me I'm performing excellently and they both would rather get rid of other people and keep me. But the one difference between me and the other employees is that i'm not hired internally. i'm an extern worker. The company decided to get rid of all extern employees. My senior has a meeting on Thursday with the manager to discuss my potential employment. So hopefully he can pull it off.

It kinda sucks, doing your best. Getting recognized that you are doing your best. Yet still getting the shaft. At the very least, my senior will write me a recommendation letter and will let me use him as a reference if i'm laid off.
I'm in a good place here. My senior is great. He gives me awesome projects to work on despite my inexperience (and I pull them off). I'm learning alot here. Hours are flexible.
coworkers are fun (for the most part)
How do you guys handle this? I'm in a weird mood where i'm happy my work is being recognized but kinda depressed that I may not work here anymore\

Edit:

Things i have done that my seniors are making a big deal off. But is it really difficult? It was pretty easy? Can you guys tell me if migrating stuff in an existing environment is a real feat?
I'm just following tutorials. test it in our testing environment. If it works there, make an analyzed impact report. (how to roll back if I gently caress it up or it breaks)
Do it in production in the evening. and if works go ahead and change. If it doesn't roll back and figure out what went wrong. So far everything went smoothly the 1st time.

Migrated the existing dhcp server W2008 to Windows 2012r2 with load balancing. Testing went smooth. only thing that I forgot was to include the new dhcpserver in the wlan controller. Thankfully that was a 5 min fix when i figured out the next morning that wifi wasn't working. IPhelper settings went smoothly. Only tested 1 other location apart from the main office. but I figured if one other location worked the others would as well. All the new vdi's are getting a ip adres from the new dhcpservers.
Migrated the existing WSUS server W2008 to 2012R2 with ssl. This went smoothly

My next migration would be the AD from 2008 to 2012R2. But i'm afraid there's not much time to do this before my contract ends.

Edit 2:
I'm currently also studying in college after work. It's starting to break me. I started in september. Each monday and thursday night from 18:30 til 22:00. So far i have failed 4 courses.
Programming, Business, math and dutch :v:
Besides that i'm also studying for the mcsa 70-410 exam, I was on a good pace studying for the 70-410 exam and dropped it when college started. now i'm trying to combine it with college and it's not going smoothly.

I'm thinking about dropping out from college. Is that a bad idea? I cannot combine Work/Study/Certs. I tried. But i'm losing sleep, getting depressed about failing don't know how to tell my boss who paid for this that i probably wont make this.

Basically, I think I wanted too much and now everything may crumble down if I don't salvage it quick.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 8, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How far are you through school?

Having a full-time joband going to school is tough. It's exhausting and not having a social life kills it but working lovely job or going back to school even later in life is much worse.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

How far are you through school?

Having a full-time joband going to school is tough. It's exhausting and not having a social life kills it but working lovely job or going back to school even later in life is much worse.

1st year, 1st semester
This year in june I graduated from my intermediate vocational education and in september I started Higher Vocational Education.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 8, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why aren't you perusing a career in your field? How old are you?

Alternatively, if you're dissatisfied switch majors or transfer to a 2-year tech school.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Why aren't you perusing a career in your field? How old are you?

Alternatively, if you're dissatisfied switch majors or transfer to a 2-year tech school.

I'm 23. I was honestly thinking of just certing up. The Higher Vocational Education is an IT education. I was planning on going the direction of System network engineer. The course i passed with little difficulty was Infrastructure. They give you all the "IT" courses the 1st year. I'm not that good at programming

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sefal posted:

I'm 23. I was honestly thinking of just certing up. The Higher Vocational Education is an IT education. I was planning on going the direction of System network engineer. The course i passed with little difficulty was Infrastructure. They give you all the "IT" courses the 1st year. I'm not that good at programming

At least get an associates. It checks off "higher education" on HR's req list and gets you more interviews without a crazy financial investment.

I worked a full time job, got my N+, got my CCNA, finished my associates (that took 3 years, 3 classes at a time, 3 semesters a year), and had my first kid simultaneously. If you want it badly enough, you can do it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sefal posted:

Things i have done that my seniors are making a big deal off. But is it really difficult? It was pretty easy? Can you guys tell me if migrating stuff in an existing environment is a real feat?
I'm just following tutorials. test it in our testing environment. If it works there, make an analyzed impact report. (how to roll back if I gently caress it up or it breaks)
Do it in production in the evening. and if works go ahead and change. If it doesn't roll back and figure out what went wrong. So far everything went smoothly the 1st time.

Migrated the existing dhcp server W2008 to Windows 2012r2 with load balancing. Testing went smooth. only thing that I forgot was to include the new dhcpserver in the wlan controller. Thankfully that was a 5 min fix when i figured out the next morning that wifi wasn't working. IPhelper settings went smoothly. Only tested 1 other location apart from the main office. but I figured if one other location worked the others would as well. All the new vdi's are getting a ip adres from the new dhcpservers.
Migrated the existing WSUS server W2008 to 2012R2 with ssl. This went smoothly

My next migration would be the AD from 2008 to 2012R2. But i'm afraid there's not much time to do this before my contract ends.

I thought they were.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

At least get an associates. It checks off "higher education" on HR's req list and gets you more interviews without a crazy financial investment.

I worked a full time job, got my N+, got my CCNA, finished my associates (that took 3 years, 3 classes at a time, 3 semesters a year), and had my first kid simultaneously. If you want it badly enough, you can do it.

How long did it take you for your CCNA by the way?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

skooma512 posted:

How long did it take you for your CCNA by the way?

I read through the CCENT book right after the N+, then a year later spent 3 months on CCNAX studies. During that year I nabbed a job at an MSP so I had hands-on networking to back up my studies. Took the combined test and got it over with.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Wow. That's pretty drat insane. Nice job finishing it. I'm gonna do my best to see how far i can make it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sefal posted:

How do you guys handle this? I'm in a weird mood where i'm happy my work is being recognized but kinda depressed that I may not work here anymore\

You're collateral damage from a sweeping no-exceptions policy that you have no control over. Maybe write a letter and talk about how you'd love to have the opportunity to work for this company directly, how it's been a great experience for you and that you think you've provided real value and still have a lot to offer. Be enthusiastic without going overboard. Talk to your senior/supervisor and see if they can get it into the hands of someone who influences decisions. Maybe ask them to read it over first to proofread/critique. Think of it almost like a cover letter for a job application, because it kind of is.

Beyond that, if it doesn't go well for you realize that this kind of poo poo happens and you can't really do much about it (applies to basically everything in life, in fact). Keep doing your job to the best of your ability until your last day, leave a positive final impression of you on everyone's mind so that you have great references, and move on.

quote:

I can't speak to this activity specifically since I'm in software development. But I'm just going to go ahead and tell you that the things you find pretty easy to do with computer and networking technology are flat-out impossible for the vast majority of people on this planet. You'll find that hard to believe because they really aren't that complicated once you research or figure things out. But there's the rub: you can research and figure things out. Most people simply do not have the desire or ability to do either of those things. Again, hard for you to believe because it's totally different from the way your mind works, but that's the reality.

Learn to appreciate that what you do has real value. It gets easier as you get older and see just how many people seem to just barely function in the information age.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
So I've seen some complaints about RemedyForce - we're introducing it into our SalesForce instance but we haven't started the implementation process. Since I get to have a voice in the implementation I was wondering if anyone has any advice on things that have sucked for you that I can try to avoid.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ugh remedyforce. I hate it so much I basically refuse to use it

MF_James
May 8, 2008

whoops wrong thread

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today is my first time interviewing someone and I have no idea what I'm going to ask them! :confuoot:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Anyone have any experience working in academic IT departments? Apparently it's a common thing now to set up personal storage drives for 40k+ students. I can't even imagine how to begin supporting that.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

It's unfortunate that your accomplishments were not taken into consideration. And yes, they were accomplishments - there are lots of veteran IT folks who wouldn't have dreamed of attempting to migrate anything. You've got some very valuable work experience, and if I were you I would definitely expound upon them on your resume and in any interviews you have. Don't downplay them by saying "All I did was read some tutorials," but rather discuss the challenges you had to meet and emphasize that you also accounted for things going wrong and planned out how to recover from them.

Use the recommendation your seniors give you, and run with it. You're young, and as you'll find out, these things will happen. Each time it does is a new opportunity for advancement and a raise.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Anyone have any experience working in academic IT departments? Apparently it's a common thing now to set up personal storage drives for 40k+ students. I can't even imagine how to begin supporting that.

I worked for a school at a university for several years. Central IT provided the foundation services like networking, DNS (aside from our own AD), and email, but we provided the rest. Certainly not to the scale of a large public university, but we had about 2000 faculty, students, and staff.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Kashuno posted:

Today is my first time interviewing someone and I have no idea what I'm going to ask them! :confuoot:

A good go to is make them explain what they'd do in a scenario with a whiteboard. Maybe it's a task you've been thinking about automating that is just busy work for a new tech.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

As long as you've got the storage space it's not too bad. Auto-mapping a home directory and setting quota limits and that's about it. Granted, I do this for 3500 students so there may be something I'm not considering for 40k. We're actually moving away from giving network storage to students, and having them use OneDrive (university provided) or their own personal cloud storage accounts for this kind of thing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there an easy way to export every mailbox and archive in Exchange 2010 to a PST?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kashuno posted:

Is there an easy way to export every mailbox and archive in Exchange 2010 to a PST?
Godspeed.
It's been nice knowing you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kashuno posted:

There is a powershell command that will do this pretty easily. I've done it before, Google is your friend.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Get a list of the mailboxes you want to export, then:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff459227(v=exchg.141).aspx

CloFan fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 9, 2015

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been exporting individually using New-MailboxExportRequest but that will take forever.

GreenNight posted:

There is a powershell command that will do this pretty easily. I've done it before, Google is your friend.

:ohdear: guess now is the time to really start learning this stuff!

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm not good with powershell but there's sure to be a way to search for all mailboxes, then do a for-each mailbox export request on the results