Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kammat posted:

Hamil's having way too much fun with this.

"Nobody's quoted Star Wars at me for a whole hour! This is the best gig ever!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I loved The Trickster. Plus, I think the actor playing Snart is perfect for the part.

Is Zoom going to turn out to be Eobard Thon back for a second go; it's the same premise as Season 1. Please give us a new bad guy.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I can't believe they didn't use that Flash-Patty conversation as a way for Barry to reveal his secret. Maybe that exact scene wouldn't have worked but oh my god why didn't they tell here, it's the same nonsense as last year!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My Q-Face posted:

What is this from?

Fringe. The context is that portals one of the worlds made are playing merry hell with the other. And there's a bunch of other insane stuff going on, but that's the reason for the reference.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Fringe. You should watch Fringe.

Fringe is a great 3 seasons of television

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Snart is such a sassy gay man I love it.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hi liter posted:

Snart is such a sassy gay man I love it.

I'm really looking forward to that new show Legends of Tomorrow for more of Snart, cynical reluctant good guy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

apatheticman posted:

Fringe is a great 3 seasons of television

It shows Anna Torv can play the same character as two exactly different people.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Last week Oliver finds out he has a son. This week Joe finds out he has a son. Who gets a son next week and how many people have been keeping it secret? Obviously this all ends on Legend of Tomorrow when Rip Hunter reveals he is the not yet born son of a character I hope shows up at some point.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

It shows Anna Torv can play the same character as two exactly different people.

It also shows that she can be Spock.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

flosofl posted:

THE COPS HAVE A WEAPON TO NEUTRALIZE THE FLASH!

Was this Cisco's "The Boot" from episode 1?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Wells' delivery of "Every earth has a Godfather" just killed me. I thought Cisco was gonna have all the killer lines per usual but when Wells dropped that, he won.

It seemed like everyone was a little more on point tonight but maybe having Mark Hamil as a guest star has that effect, especially when he's Jokering it up around you.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
This was a weak half-season mark, but even bad Flash episodes are still fun because their casting game is so strong. They have the best scene-chewing villains out there, and that's without even throwing Tom Cavanagh into the mix.

Snart is going to be so fun in LoT. :allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wally being Iris's brother is kind of weird. But not really a bad thing or anything like that.

But even since he was announced I have had a bad feeling about how he is going to be portrayed. As they have been hinting heavily they are going to be taking after his New 52 version. (Which is utterly horrible)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Why did they magnets?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

MonsterEnvy posted:

But even since he was announced I have had a bad feeling about how he is going to be portrayed. As they have been hinting heavily they are going to be taking after his New 52 version. (Which is utterly horrible)

They even had that kid who sat on Trickster's lap and opened the door for Wells who looks like real Wally. :smith:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ep had some satisfying lines. Barry being a Good Guy when Iris came to him with her secret and saying "you know what you have to do. We can tell him together" was a good character moment. Patty bothering to say "thanks for saving me" to The Flash also a nice touch. Joe came to terms with his son reasonably quickly too. All of this just about makes up for Patty not knowing the identity.

Also nice to see Snart not being evil for the sake of evil, but it's still hard to see him as some jovial, morally ambiguous rival when they had him murder innocent people in his first appearance. Seriously wish this show (and Arrow) was better at having villains that aren't boiled down to remorseless killers. On the other hand, the Trickster works great as a cartoonish villain.

Cold open was loving weeeeeeird. And Zoom wanting Barry to be faster is really just a total repeat of Reverse Flash.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Whizbang posted:

They even had that kid who sat on Trickster's lap and opened the door for Wells who looks like real Wally. :smith:

Appearance Traits are second to personality and character traits. And they are the things I am worried about the most.

I already knew he would look nothing like him. Appearance wise It would have been nice if they had at least kept Wally Red Headed. But I have no idea how many Red Headed Black Actor's there are. So I get why they would not go for that.

Still going to hope he at least shares at least a trait with with the real Wally. Because the thing that disappointed me the most about Nu Wally was the fact that he shared no traits at all with the real Wally. He was a new character entirely being called the name of a much better character. (And as I will say is vastly superior to Barry who never should have come back to life.)

VagueRant posted:

Also nice to see Snart not being evil for the sake of evil, but it's still hard to see him as some jovial, morally ambiguous rival when they had him murder innocent people in his first appearance. Seriously wish this show (and Arrow) was better at having villains that aren't boiled down to remorseless killers. On the other hand, the Trickster works great as a cartoonish villain.

I like Snart but yeah I think they made some rather big mistakes with his first appearance. He was far too murderous, something he never was in the comics unless he had no choice, or the target really pissed him off. (In the comics unlike the show Snart was in the end despite his hatred unwilling to kill his own father.) The fact that he was not murderous is helped by the fact that his Gun was nonlethal unless he wanted it to be lethal. The gun just puts people into temporary stasis. (The ice is a side effect)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 9, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

VagueRant posted:

Also nice to see Snart not being evil for the sake of evil, but it's still hard to see him as some jovial, morally ambiguous rival when they had him murder innocent people in his first appearance. Seriously wish this show (and Arrow) was better at having villains that aren't boiled down to remorseless killers.

I must be misremembering something then, because I remember the open to the episode Snart first appeared in included him being angry that one of his crew killed one of the guards of the truck they were stealing from.

Did he start killing later that episode or something?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Onean posted:

I must be misremembering something then, because I remember the open to the episode Snart first appeared in included him being angry that one of his crew killed one of the guards of the truck they were stealing from.

Did he start killing later that episode or something?

He killed a guard to see if the Flash would try to save him. It was...cold.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
SNART's a remorseless killer within reason. He doesn't like drawing too much heat to himself (hurhurhurhurr), and he doesn't like being hotheaded or letting your emotions get the best of you. If he kills someone, it's going to be because it's pivotal to a plan of his or somehow conducive to his overall well-being, not because he enjoys killing people. It makes sense that he turned on Marden and Trickster; going after the Flash out of some heated need for vengeance or because you're just flat-out psychotic is precisely the sort of thing SNART would be against.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bad Moon posted:

He killed a guard to see if the Flash would try to save him. It was...cold.

Huh, okay.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like Snart but yeah I think they made some rather big mistakes with his first appearance. He was far too murderous, something he never was in the comics unless he had no choice, or the target really pissed him off. (In the comics unlike the show Snart was in the end despite his hatred unwilling to kill his own father.) The fact that he was not murderous is helped by the fact that his Gun was nonlethal unless he wanted it to be lethal. The gun just puts people into temporary stasis. (The ice is a side effect)
See, this sounds like it would be 100% better for the tone of the show and also just better writing generally.

Instead we basically have every episode: "i murdered a family over a purse snatching HURR now flash and the crew can straight up kill me with the power of microwaves or some poo poo"

Onean posted:

Huh, okay.
Yeah, poor dude got to shatter in slow motion in front of Barry's eyes. It was really jarring, especially now that Barry is totes cool with the guy who did that walking around free.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, his kill count's still lower than Barry's, so...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Murder is statistically ambiguous?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
That was a bit of a wet fart. I loving hate US TV show "christmas" episodes anyway, but even without all that horrible shmaltz over the top this was a pretty poor episode.

The magic magnet bomb solution was laughable and yet again they come up with some weird convoluted reason why Flash can't just run out of the building (that makes no sense) then make him helicopter out (which makes less sense than him just running out).

Joe is a great cop but a terrible partner, Patty should just loving quit. Last episode she shot someone who every one thought was dead, her partner tells her to run away with no explanation (and it looks like they haven't explained it to her, the only other person on the "taskforce". Then the person who murdered his partner's father breaks out of jail, and he knows she is a bit loopy over it and just fucks off to go and speak to his ex wife leaving her alone to deal with the 3 escaped prisoners.
Plus she hasn't found out about Barry yet, which is just going to be a bunch more awful "why didn't you tell me, I thought we had something, we are done" angsty bullshit waiting to happen.

It was also super awkward the way they said "his name is Wally. Wally West." every time.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 9, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

frgildan posted:

Also Patty shot Wells a few episodes ago and Joe just tells her to go. I'm wondering if there ever gonna show that conversation? It really feels like something that should have been addressed this epusode. Because last she saw was Harrison Wells bleeding out on the floor.

She's an American cop. That's how half her days end.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

That was a bit of a wet fart. I loving hate US TV show "christmas" episodes anyway, but even without all that horrible shmaltz over the top this was a pretty poor episode.

The magic magnet bomb solution was laughable and yet again they come up with some weird convoluted reason why Flash can't just run out of the building (that makes no sense) then make him helicopter out (which makes less sense than him just running out).

Joe is a great cop but a terrible partner, Patty should just loving quit. Last episode she shot someone who every one thought was dead, her partner tells her to run away with no explanation (and it looks like they haven't explained it to her, the only other person on the "taskforce". Then the person who murdered his partner breaks out of jail, and he knows she is a bit loopy over it and just fucks off to go and speak to his ex wife leaving her alone to deal with the 3 escaped prisoners.
Plus she hasn't found out about Barry yet, which is just going to be a bunch more awful "why didn't you tell me, I thought we had something, we are done" angsty bullshit waiting to happen.

It was also super awkward the way they said "his name is Wally. Wally West." every time.

Right, C4 isn't going to detonate because of a spark. It needs pressure. Also, why could they not have just walked out if speed lightning was the trigger?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Party was definitely going to use "dangerous metahuman threat" reasoning to legally justify killing Mardon in cold blood.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
"You mean patty is a meta human, too?"
"She's kept it a secret for quite some time. She's been trying to live a quiet normal life..."
"How'd you find out?"
"Found her passed out in a random strangers house. She smelled like alcohol and weed. She wasn't making sense, had no sense of responsibility. She was less patty, and more... PARTY"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You people complaining about how Wally isn't a redhead or doesn't look like he did in the comics are fuckin' hilarious. "I don't care if he's black, but he should at LEAST look like his comic character." :rolleyes:

ALso, I thought the magnet resolution was retarded, but eh, comicbook science, and the FLash keeping secrets from Patty is one or two episodes away from her being gaslighted. Building up Flash's speed (again) so he can get his speed taken away (again) is also kinda dumb. Zoom zipping Harry's daughter away in the middle of Harry telling her he'd not let him take her was pretty :laugh: It was pretty effed up that she exploded in hysterical tears out of fear of Zoom though. Really drove it home how terrible her situation is.

I always like Mark Hamill, he's a fun character. Weather Wizard is Whatever (wizard) - wanting to hit Barry with snowballs a bunch of times in an empty town square for some reason counts as "revenge".

So, 70% out of 100% for the show. Didn't show enough of Wally to let me get an opinion of him.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Drifter posted:

Weather Wizard is Whatever (wizard) - wanting to hit Barry with snowballs a bunch of times in an empty town square for some reason counts as "revenge".

I dunno, if I had his powers I'd certainly be using balls of ice and throwing him dozens of feet in the air instead of a bat. He has to leave something for Trickster to play with, or else he'll be on Trickster's poo poo list, and letting Trickster go first probably wouldn't leave anything for him to have fun with.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Mr Beens posted:

Worse than the magnet bomb was Team Flash and Patty both figuring out where Trickester was based on the reflection of a teddy bear in his eye. That was super dumb.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Flash hit a series low last night. I'm guessing some people though the crossover was the final episode before the break.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VagueRant posted:

And Zoom wanting Barry to be faster is really just a total repeat of Reverse Flash.

Also Wells turning out to be evil. Again.

Let's redo season 1 again! - flash writers

JT Smiley posted:

Worse than the magnet bomb was Team Flash and Patty both figuring out where Trickester was based on the reflection of a teddy bear in his eye. That was super dumb.

CSI zoom - enhance was hilarious.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The episode was great, I don't get you all. Every Joe scene was emotional gold and goddamn that watch scene with Barry got me crying. Mark Hamill is still great and the Trickster is fun as hell. We had a cool Captain Cold moment too. The other villain...exists, I guess. And hell, Cisco was still great as usual, and Harry definitely nailed whatever lines he had.

The magnet thing was pretty dumb but this is a comic book show, I'm not expecting logic. And hey, Wally! Too bad we're cutting before he gets to do anything, but I hope he's as good as he was in every cartoon.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

The episode was great, I don't get you all. Every Joe scene was emotional gold and goddamn that watch scene with Barry got me crying. Mark Hamill is still great and the Trickster is fun as hell. We had a cool Captain Cold moment too. The other villain...exists, I guess. And hell, Cisco was still great as usual, and Harry definitely nailed whatever lines he had.

The magnet thing was pretty dumb but this is a comic book show, I'm not expecting logic. And hey, Wally! Too bad we're cutting before he gets to do anything, but I hope he's as good as he was in every cartoon.

Someone just peddled this bullshit line in the Agents of Shield thread too. Just because it is a comic book show it doesn't give them a free pass on bullshit. If Stan Lee teleported in at the end of every episode to magic away whatever problem in a puff of smoke would that still be OK as it's a comic book show?
They could have seen the stuffed toy on a shelf in the background - same solution, not bullshit.
They could have analysed the signal used to detonate the bombs and sent out an override signal - same solution, not bullshit full of obvious plot holes (what if a bomb present couldn't make it's way out, how did they know they were all exploded etc. etc.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mr Beens posted:

Someone just peddled this bullshit line in the Agents of Shield thread too. Just because it is a comic book show it doesn't give them a free pass on bullshit. If Stan Lee teleported in at the end of every episode to magic away whatever problem in a puff of smoke would that still be OK as it's a comic book show?
They could have seen the stuffed toy on a shelf in the background - same solution, not bullshit.
They could have analysed the signal used to detonate the bombs and sent out an override signal - same solution, not bullshit full of obvious plot holes (what if a bomb present couldn't make it's way out, how did they know they were all exploded etc. etc.)

Yes. It would be loving amazing as poo poo if Stan Lee showed up at the end of a Flash episode to fix all of their issues.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe I misheard but didn't they say dimensional polarity, and not just regular magnetic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The episode was kind of packed full and the pacing was wonky as a result. It was similar to the premiere for me where they spent so much time trying to set things up/advance plotlines that everything was watered down as a result, and the cool, high budget action that you would expect to see in a premiere/mid-season finale was secondary at best.

Like you had:

- The whole "his full name is Wally West" drama with Joe and Iris
- The villains breaking out and all 3 of them having different motivations including
- A scene dedicated to again pushing the "Captain Cold is kind of a good guy" angle, after which he peaced out from the episode
- Patty's whole revenge storyline, with Barry continuing to lie to her
- Harry and Jesse and Zoom
- Jay and Caitlin flirting while trying to close portals
- Christmas
- Barely any Ciscos since where the hell are you going to fit him in this bloated episode

I mean, could anything else possibly even be added? At the beginning of the episode I was hoping Flash Dad would come back for Christmas but that would have stretched things even thinner. I think there were some fantastic scenes that could have been part of 2 better, separate episodes.

Big example - this was kind of Weather Wizards chance to really go over the top since he was the top billed villain with the whole Patty revenge plot. And he kind of did with the flying and new tricks but: 1) His time was split with the superior Trickster, who got the mid-episode encounter with the exploding dreidles (and all the best lines). Add in the excellent Cold stuff in the first half of the episode and he ends up being the third most interesting/impressive villain in what should be his feature episode. 2) After the team got rid of the bombs, there was basically no time left in the episode so Barry just instantly beat him. This was actually sort of refreshing since this is what Barry should be capable of against 90% of his villains, but it is weird seeing him have trouble with Doctor Light or whatever-the-gently caress the name of the Firestorm villain was, and then handle a dude with such an enormous amount of power.

They should have cut out Weather Wizard and made his storyline with Patty be the highlight of a different episode, and kept this one to just more Trickster hijinks.

• Locked thread