Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Any thoughts on Shadowrun: Crossfire? My wife was looking for a few extra Xmas ideas and I was thinking of maybe either that or Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game.

It's ok. Certainly not great, but not terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Countblanc posted:

A review, sure, but we're talking about tutorials. UFBRT is great if you know the rules for the game from years ago and need a reminder, but I can't imagine actually learning the game from scratch with them (but they aren't intended for that anyway).

Concise tutorials seem hard to come by. The best one I ever found was this one for Colosseum:

https://youtu.be/cvVzwEdT-BU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I got to play Blood Rage last night, and I really liked it. I've been looking for a board game with nice paintable minis AND a solid ruleset, and this one may fit the bill. Anyone have move experience with it that can tell me if it holds up over repeated plays?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Lanterns and Blueprints are pretty solid filler. Good for Moms.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 9, 2015

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jinkeez posted:

Concise tutorials seem hard to come by. The best one I ever found was this one for Colosseum:

https://youtu.be/cvVzwEdT-BU

Bezier Games has been putting up really good concise tutorials on their YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/ZGKlnXZ51n4

This is what I personally want to see when I look up a game on YT

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Any thoughts on Shadowrun: Crossfire? My wife was looking for a few extra Xmas ideas and I was thinking of maybe either that or Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game.

If my recollection of the rules is correct, you reset your deck every session, which means that the only thing that matters is the stickers you apply to the character sheet, which offer marginal boosts. In order for it to be fun, you have to play Crossfire a LOT. A lot of sessions, and a lot during each session.

I own it and never play it because ughhhhhhhhh

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

signalnoise posted:

If my recollection of the rules is correct, you reset your deck every session, which means that the only thing that matters is the stickers you apply to the character sheet, which offer marginal boosts. In order for it to be fun, you have to play Crossfire a LOT. A lot of sessions, and a lot during each session.

Hmm, with my schedule that is probably never going to happen. Shame because I like the setting and the idea behind it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Looking into getting either dungeon lords ( I like petz) or new through the ages. Any preferences? I like civ games but the gameplay of lords seems really interesting.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Hmm, with my schedule that is probably never going to happen. Shame because I like the setting and the idea behind it.

shadowrun_tabletop_games.txt

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

sonatinas posted:

Looking into getting either dungeon lords ( I like petz) or new through the ages. Any preferences? I like civ games but the gameplay of lords seems really interesting.

Flip a coin. Both games are fantastic, heavyweight games by Lord Vlaada.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

sonatinas posted:

TtA is an hour per person and is two or three player game. If you're really skilled you can get that down to 45 min/player but it's a rushed game.

Dungeon Lords is a 2-2.5h four player game. Three hours for your first one maybe?

Edit: you can play TtA with four, but I don't recommend it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Wow, I've been out of the board gaming scene for a couple of years now- maybe three years or so- and some really great stuff has come out while I've had my eyes elsewhere! A lot of them are actually pretty cheap, too! How does Doomtown stack up against Netrunner? It seems like Netrunner is the better game, but I do much prefer the Doomtown theme.

Edit: While I'm at it, opinions on Machi Koro and Samurai Spirit? The latter seems like a straight upgrade over Ghost Stories?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there actually a full pdf of the TTA second edition rules? I think there's a changelog but gently caress me if I'm reading through the original rulebook again.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

StashAugustine posted:

Is there actually a full pdf of the TTA second edition rules? I think there's a changelog but gently caress me if I'm reading through the original rulebook again.

Rules and L2P Book.

Also, tutorial videos.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Anonymous Robot posted:

<snip>While I'm at it, opinions on Machi Koro<snip>

I would say just don't bother. It takes longer than you'd like, is more random than you'd like, isn't improved by expansions like you'd want...
Machi Koro is really not very good.

Is there is a specific reason you thought that it would appeal to you and your group? I'm sure the hivemind can come up with a better option based on what you say.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

ChiTownEddie posted:

I would say just don't bother. It takes longer than you'd like, is more random than you'd like, isn't improved by expansions like you'd want...
Machi Koro is really not very good.

Is there is a specific reason you thought that it would appeal to you and your group? I'm sure the hivemind can come up with a better option based on what you say.

Well, I've only recently begun spending time with a group of 2-4 people (in addition to my usual friend group that features 6+ at any given time), so my options have opened up quite a bit. It looked like a cute theme, I like Dominions but find it a little bland, and it seemed like a nice, quick game. I played a lot of Ascension for a while but got sick of the constant shuffling, managing an overwhelming amount of stacks of cards, and constructs pretty much being the best strategy. It makes a better iPhone game than board game.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wow, I've been out of the board gaming scene for a couple of years now- maybe three years or so- and some really great stuff has come out while I've had my eyes elsewhere! A lot of them are actually pretty cheap, too! How does Doomtown stack up against Netrunner? It seems like Netrunner is the better game, but I do much prefer the Doomtown theme.

Edit: While I'm at it, opinions on Machi Koro and Samurai Spirit? The latter seems like a straight upgrade over Ghost Stories?

Doomtown feels alot more unwieldy, something about the way the cards are printed makes me feel like they could have cut down alot of the wording to present it in a more concise way. It has really interesting deckbuilding though!

Netrunner is a much a tighter game but even then I've heard of people saying some of the cards needed errata that didn't make much sense.

I don't recommend either if you plan on playing alot of games with new people versus playing at tournaments; neither game is very fun to teach, and have wayyyy too many "gotcha" cards that would seem really unfair to a new person.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Starlit Citadel is for me the best board game reviews on YouTube. Less than 10 minutes long, giving a decent overview of the game and how a turn works, all scripted and rehearsed so it flows nicely. The narration matches what you see on screen so nothing is out of context, and I think having two people doing it works great because you don't just have one person's voice constantly. Plus at the end, they both go through what they like and don't like (both mechanically and thematically) so you get two opinions instead of one.

Plus Kaja and Joanna are pretty easy on the eyes :allears:

Also I went for that £16 punched but never played Castles of Burgundy yesterday, quite excited to play it now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Banana Man posted:

Doomtown feels alot more unwieldy, something about the way the cards are printed makes me feel like they could have cut down alot of the wording to present it in a more concise way. It has really interesting deckbuilding though!
Paging Scyther to the thread

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Zveroboy posted:

Starlit Citadel is for me the best board game reviews on YouTube. Less than 10 minutes long, giving a decent overview of the game and how a turn works, all scripted and rehearsed so it flows nicely. The narration matches what you see on screen so nothing is out of context, and I think having two people doing it works great because you don't just have one person's voice constantly. Plus at the end, they both go through what they like and don't like (both mechanically and thematically) so you get two opinions instead of one.

Also I went for that £16 punched but never played Castles of Burgundy yesterday, quite excited to play it now.

Sure, if you like robots.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

So, is Keyflower worth it with two players?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Very much, I pretty much only play it two player and it's one of our favourite games

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I really like Samurai Spirit but it's not an upgrade over Ghost Stories by any means. It's just lighter, supports more players and runs less time.

Also there's a much bigger discussion to be had re: Netrunner vs Doomtown, and they have their own threads where you'll get good breakdowns, but one point I'd mention is that Netrunner's a lot more designed for competitive play, whereas Doomtown skews casual. Anecdotally I find this to be true too.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zveroboy posted:

Isn't there the issue that since they are a game store they aren't critical on games since they want you to buy them? Do they ever give bad reviews?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

signalnoise posted:

There's nothing that says you can't just allot an amount of upgrade points based off whatever level of challenge of a mission you're looking at. As neat as the the mechanic may be it gets in the way of playing it with just random folks. Like 'we're doing a moderate challenge so you get X points to spend on junk'.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Played Fearsome Floors, Jamaica and Pictomania yesterday. A good haul of light games with friends, and relaxed right up to Pictomania.

I had only played it with the easiest cards, and liked how the flow of the game changed with more difficult words. Translation isn't top-notch, though, and we had to veto a couple of cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Netrunner is the best two-player LCG. Shadowfist is the best multiplayer CCG. Doomtown is the best CCG that does both.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

BonHair posted:

Keyflower is very good with two and it's possibly my most played two-player game.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Oh hey SU&SD managed to string together 10 non terrible games all in one list.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Big McHuge posted:

Oh hey SU&SD managed to string together 10 non terrible games all in one list.

Which leaves even fewer good games for 20-1

Upcoming:

Codenames (top 5)
Pandemic Legacy (top 5)
Panamax (top 10)
Star Wars (Xwing or Armada) (top 20)
Two Rooms and Boom (top 10)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Quinns wants a Space Alert with simplified rules :allears:

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

signalnoise posted:

Everything I ever wanted out of a board game review video has been a 10 minute explanation of how to play a game to teach me and my friends the rules. Unfortunately most of the videos out there are like 20 minutes long which is a bit much, and they include an actual review section. Just tell us how to play the loving game. Maybe make the review part of a playlist?

I guess the thing I would do if I was doing it would be to have the thing cut up into chunks. Game setup and component explanation with a short explanation of what the win condition is, a sample turn that shows everything you can really do, and then a full explanation of the rules. For bonus points, when you explain a rule, do some title editing to cite the page of the rulebook you're talking about.

And you don't need to try to be funny or entertaining.

That's a tutorial, not a review.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm prepping myself to die on the Dead of Winter hill, but currently I'm stumping for Chaos in the Old World and Kemet because they are worthy of being on the list.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Tekopo posted:

It's called Space Cadets: Dice Duel

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played some Dead of Winter, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I mean, I guess you could call the south the traitors, but I couldn't find out where the zombies were, and instead of hoarding food we just shot cannons at each other? Pretty complex though, I have no idea how it became so popular among a more casual crowd. Anyway, played as the Union, next time I'll be the South see if maybe they get zombies or something.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

Played some Dead of Winter, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I mean, I guess you could call the south the traitors, but I couldn't find out where the zombies were, and instead of hoarding food we just shot cannons at each other? Pretty complex though, I have no idea how it became so popular among a more casual crowd. Anyway, played as the Union, next time I'll be the South see if maybe they get zombies or something.

It is fundamentally broken, the Confederate spy can tank the game in the final round by leaving too much garbage in the Union camp.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tekopo posted:

But…

How…

Whaa?

The rules are dead simple. It's just the actual game that is hard. :raise:

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
There appears to be an App replacement for the Crossroads deck that does a few nice-ish things, like not revealing the result of a vote until the vote has been held, which could make that mechanic work somewhat better.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Tekopo posted:

Spaceteam is available on both iOS and Android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

And soon in cardboard too! (which I've backed)