Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ilkhan posted:

I hate trying to interpret emoji in the first place. Give me the description, I'd be happier. Or better yet. Use your drat words.

Emoji are schway. 💩💩💩

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Karthe posted:

I just ordered my Project Fi SIM, someone tell me I'm not making a huge mistake. Also I saw the video on how you can use Hangouts to send text messages from anything that runs Hangouts, but does it suffer from the same limitations as Google Voice? It's going to blow my mind if someone tells me that I'll actually be able to send and receive MMS from my desktop.

I send and receive MMS from my desktop via Hangouts and I just have regular Google Voice.

As far as Fi goes...most people I've seen reviewing it seem pretty "meh" about it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ilkhan posted:

I hate trying to interpret emoji in the first place. Give me the description, I'd be happier. Or better yet. Use your drat words.

poop poop poop angry face

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I send and receive MMS from my desktop via Hangouts and I just have regular Google Voice.

As far as Fi goes...most people I've seen reviewing it seem pretty "meh" about it.
What about group MMS?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I want to change the default account on my phone. Is there any way to do this besides just doing a factory reset? I don't have any purchased apps and I figure I can back up my photos to my computer. Is there a way to back up at least a list of what I have installed? And is there anything else worth trying to back up?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Reminder, Google themselves don't recommend using the Hangouts app for SMS on Fi.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6188337?hl=en

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Nexus 5x is on sale again. Only a 50 dollar sale on Google Play, Best Buy, and BH Photo, so $330/$380 for 16/32 GB respectively.

I've never seen a discount for a Nexus this fast. Really makes you wonder if Google is able to move them or what.

Edit: Also on sale at Amazon. Is this phone going to $250/300 by summer?

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 9, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Allaniis posted:

Nexus 5x is on sale again. Only a 50 dollar sale on Google Play, Best Buy, and BH Photo, so $330/$380 for 16/32 GB respectively.

I've never seen a discount for a Nexus this fast. Really makes you wonder if Google is able to move them or what.

In my area carriers are already selling them for free/$50 cdn on contract. It's nuts, luckily they had price matching.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Allaniis posted:

You can buy a Galaxy S6 32GB for $585 on a 30 month interest-free loan with no prepayment penalty. And you get a $150 gift card to Best Buy with it. And they throw in a wireless charger, bluetooth headphones and a portable battery pack. And a $100 gift card to Samsung.com if you sign up to Samsung Pay.

I mean it's not apples to oranges, you have to have good credit, be fine with some lock in to a carrier, and willing to wait a bit for system updates but Samsung is currently basically giving away flagship phones to the people interested in flagships and everyone is nipping at their midsection with high-end budget phones. This was a bad time to come out with the Nexus 5x.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Allaniis posted:

Nexus models have typically been cleared out for lower prices a few months before they get replaced. Typically its a similar discount to what we're seeing here, but the Nexus 6 got blown out for like half off, so we'll see. The Samsung S6 was recently on sale for $400 unlocked and I could've bought a contract-free LG G4 for $325 over black friday. That's like 35-40% off the prices they were when they were introduced 6 months ago. The lesson here is don't buy high end Android phones the moment they are released.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Three Olives posted:

You can buy a Galaxy S6 32GB for $585 on a 30 month interest-free loan with no prepayment penalty. And you get a $150 gift card to Best Buy with it. And they throw in a wireless charger, bluetooth headphones and a portable battery pack. And a $100 gift card to Samsung.com if you sign up to Samsung Pay.

I mean it's not apples to oranges, you have to have good credit, be fine with some lock in to a carrier, and willing to wait a bit for system updates but Samsung is currently basically giving away flagship phones to the people interested in flagships and everyone is nipping at their midsection with high-end budget phones. This was a bad time to come out with the Nexus 5x.

That isn't remotely the same as a sale on a Nexus or contact free phone, and isn't remotely like giving away a flagship phone.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

bull3964 posted:

Reminder, Google themselves don't recommend using the Hangouts app for SMS on Fi.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6188337?hl=en

I could be mistaken, but I think that's outdated/they changed Hangouts since they wrote that. There's an option within Hangouts that makes it so all your texts use data, and it warns you ahead of time if you select it:

But if you leave that unchecked I think Hangouts works just like the regular messenger app. I can see any texts sent to me on my desktop Hangouts on my computer but I can't actually respond to them (it tells me to change the setting on my phone). The PC Hangouts app also rings for phone calls a few seconds before my actual phone does too (I've never tried to answer as I usually don't have a microphone hooked up).

There's a Project Fi thread but I'm on my phone and :effort: as far as linking it but overall I like it. I'm just about to finish my first month and my data usage is just under a GB but I've never been a huge user of data. It's not for everyone but I'm a Google whore so I wanted to try it out. Cheaper than T-Mobile for me at least.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there a good app for systemwide adblocking? Ala Weblock on IOS. There is a Weblock in the play store but it's something else entirely.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Root + AdAway.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I got my Nexus 5x last night and have been playing around with it.

I am pretty sure that Verizon's new upgrade structure prices me out of it, but when you get your hands on it, let me know how the Droid Turbo 2 is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doctor Butts posted:

I am pretty sure that Verizon's new upgrade structure prices me out of it, but when you get your hands on it, let me know how the Droid Turbo 2 is.

I have no intentions of buying a Turbo 2 nor any other branded phone again.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is there any consensus on how lovely the 5X is yet? I don't really want something the size of the 6P, and I'm one of the few for whom Fi will work well for.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

is there a decent non-root adaway alternative? it looks like they only work on wifi for some reason. Never realized how many ads are in android till I got an unrootable phone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

That isn't remotely the same as a sale on a Nexus or contact free phone, and isn't remotely like giving away a flagship phone.

Money is fungible, $300 in gift cards alone on a $600 phone is incredibly aggressive. I mean there are a lot of qualifiers here but I was seriously considering the Nexus 6P before I found out I could buy a Galaxy S6 Edge+ for my effective payment on it over it's intended lifetime with of less than $200.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Unsane posted:

is there a decent non-root adaway alternative? it looks like they only work on wifi for some reason. Never realized how many ads are in android till I got an unrootable phone.

Ad blocking browser and buy premium ad-free apps?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there any consensus on how lovely the 5X is yet? I don't really want something the size of the 6P, and I'm one of the few for whom Fi will work well for.

The Nexus 5x is a good phone. Camera is great. Battery life is Ok. Haven't noticed much lag or anything.
I came from an iPhone 6s btw.

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
How long does it usually take for an order on the Google Play store? Broke my old Nexus 5 this morning and ordered a 6P at like 8 this morning with 1 day delivery and the order is still pending. Really sucks to get around without a phone and I'm just tempted to pick up an iPhone locally if its going to take forever.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

madjdmyo posted:

How long does it usually take for an order on the Google Play store? Broke my old Nexus 5 this morning and ordered a 6P at like 8 this morning with 1 day delivery and the order is still pending. Really sucks to get around without a phone and I'm just tempted to pick up an iPhone locally if its going to take forever.

Pretty fast - I've gotten 2 day shipping despite ordering ground. Should ship within today or tomorrow.

The 5x is a decent phone, super light, mostly responsive. Build quality is fine if you expect plastic with exception of the power and volume buttons which feel mushy. Also annoying how low they are which makes it hard to place in my car dock. You do feel the lack of extra RAM at times as applications do drop out. Fingerprint and camera quality is excellent. The camera has issues with rapid shots, especially on HDR+. You can only take like 3-4 in a row before the app won't let you take any more until it processes. I've gotten it to lock up and need to reboot the phone if I try to take too many photos quickly. Aside from this, the interface is fluid and only gets jumpy with a few bloated apps. Battery is reasonable, gets through a day but with heavy use I was at 10% by the time I got home. Other days 30-ish.

None of those issues are apparent on the 6P but I find the 5X more pleasant to use given its weight and screen size.

Ultimately, depends where you are coming from and your priorities are - I think it's a good value at the Black Friday and current sale price points but not at retail.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Unsane posted:

Firefox for Android + AdBlock Plus add-on handles a good portion of it. Using paid/non-lovely apps instead of free garbage should cover the rest

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

IuniusBrutus posted:

Only a tiny bit lovely, p good phone overall

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm having battery issues with my nexus 5. It may be more of WiFi issues. I have WiFi and any setting relating to WiFi turned off but even with WiFi turned off it just stays on and drains my battery.

I think it was something to do with a security patch on Nov 1. The battery life was awesome with 6.0 until the security patch hit and now battery life is poo poo.

Any buried WiFi settings I can look for? I've found others with this issue but no solution...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Are you sure the Wifi is actually draining your battery? Leaving it on all the time should barely touch it

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I suppose it could be something but battery window seems to think it's the WiFi

http://imgur.com/Lsl51zE
http://imgur.com/C8LoSHm

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 9, 2015

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I woke up this morning with a notification on my 1st generation Moto X. Sprint finally got around to releasing the Lollipop firmware update for it! Hooray! So I install the update, everything goes smoothly, it reboots, asks for my password to decrypt... my password is correct, but all my data is corrupted. Factory reset, here I come!

So I hold down power and volume down, scroll down to the "factory reset" option, select it... and it just reboots. After trying this a couple more times, and once mistaking a boot loop for "maybe it's just formatting everything without asking for confirmation?", I ran to the internet for help. Turns out, that factory reset option wasn't the one I was looking for. I actually needed to open a super secret second menu and select THAT factory reset option.

gently caress you Android, gently caress you Motorola, and gently caress you Sprint.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Massasoit posted:

Yeah fair enough, something isnt right

Maybe 6.0.1 will fix it?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I shut off a setting in location for allowing apps to use WiFi for location services. It has stopped the "WiFi running time" from increasing so maybe that was the issue. Didn't see that setting before.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

gariig posted:

Are there any USB C charger with foldable plugs on the market yet? The only USB C chargers I can find are either Macbook or Google chargers.

Google's dual port type C charger folds. If the Apple one is like any of their previous chargers, it would fold too. Unfortunately, Apple's is at an Apple price and the Google version is at the early-adopter price.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, Marshmallow is on a wide rollout for the 2015 Moto X Pure. They said Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellular yesterday, but there are reports of people on ATT getting it now too.

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003

bull3964 posted:

FYI, Marshmallow is on a wide rollout for the 2015 Moto X Pure. They said Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellular yesterday, but there are reports of people on ATT getting it now too.

I'm installing it on my X Pure now on Cricket. Exciting!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Got it on my MXP and it's neat. Now on Tap is kinda iffy though.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Massasoit posted:

I shut off a setting in location for allowing apps to use WiFi for location services. It has stopped the "WiFi running time" from increasing so maybe that was the issue. Didn't see that setting before.

Even so, there is no way Wifi should be using that much, something is hosed

You should be able to leave your Wifi on all the time with minimal battery loss

I wouldn't even expect to see it in the battery stats

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Massasoit posted:

It's been mentioned a few times in the thread now so I'm guessing it's a bug.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I've had my Nexus 6P (on Project Fi) for a bit over a month and it's been great. The last week or so I've been seeing some alarming battery drain though (whereas I would almost get 2 days of charge out of this on a week before). The main culprit seems to be Google Play services. It always is at the top of the list for batter usage. My phone has been sitting unused for about 6 hours yet Google Play services has a CPU total of 1h 16m and Keep awake of 1h 22m and I'm already down to 73% battery. Something must be up but I don't even know where to start. I guess I could do a factory reset later on, but that sucks.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Massasoit posted:

That huge Awake line makes me think it's something else, especially with the screen off. Can wifi be responsible for wakelocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My 6P seems to be spontaneously rebooting. I've noticed several times it needs the pattern instead of accepting a fingerprint, and I saw it reboot yesterday while sitting untouched on my desk and it just did it again.
Thoughts?