Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

whydirt posted:

I want a remake of Trading Places that uses mtgfinance as its backdrop.

Dan Akroyd whispers to himself "pork bellies lion's eye diamonds"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What deck would Eddie Murphy play?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

whydirt posted:

What deck would Eddie Murphy play?

Here is a hint "black summer".

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I changed my mind - I want to hear Charlie Murphy tell the story about going to Prince's house, but instead of playing basketball they play EDH. Prince plays Maelstrom Wanderer as his commander and wins on the first turn.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Markovnikov posted:

How much are those 90 fakebux worth? If they are actually worth 40k as someone on reddit says, there is no way they are recouping their investment, even if they hoard all the Seances ever printed and burn half of them. Of coruse assuming this is not a huge scam/a crazy person taking MTGfinance to the utmos end.

Do you want the bullshit speculator answer or the actual answer on bitcoin value, because the actual answer is 'actually zero' as there's no reliable way to turn your bitcoins into goods, services or real currency

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
To be fair, the desire to buy and destroy all the copies of Seance is one I can sympathize with, in principle.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So anyone qualified for the Pro Tour want to make mad BitCoins by playing Séance?

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3w1mfz/im_hiring_a_magic_the_gathering_pro_tour/

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Now I shall finally get to emulate Seto Kaiba, my hero. Only instead of using a 4-of-a-kind dragon I will use some terrible bulk rare from a recent set that most players probably have half a dozen of rotting in their binders

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Now I shall finally get to emulate Seto Kaiba, my hero.

What's the story there, he a pro from back in the day?

*Google*

Oh I get it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Christmas to myself just ordered on tcg player. My first deck I ever played in any serious way in high school.

Deck: Black Summer

//Lands
20 Swamp

//Spells
2 Contagion
4 Dark Ritual
4 Drain Life
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Necropotence
4 Nevinyrral's Disk
2 Terror

//Creatures
4 Black Knight
4 Bottle Gnomes
4 Foul Imp
4 Hypnotic Specter

Display deck statistics

Putting together a red sligh from the same period as well. Trying to figure out the decklist. Maybe a quazi duel deck thing in the works.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 9, 2015

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Literally The Worst posted:

there's no chat thread anymore so this is the closest thread i have to post about card game bullshit

there's a kickstarter to resurrect VS System

i look forward to that game dying, again

Did the 2PCG relaunch already fail miserably?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Now I shall finally get to emulate Seto Kaiba, my hero. Only instead of using a 4-of-a-kind dragon I will use some terrible bulk rare from a recent set that most players probably have half a dozen of rotting in their binders

I'm going to rip up your dragonlord ojutais so you can't use them against me.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Did the 2PCG relaunch already fail miserably?

That's what I was wondering. Overall, I didn't like the changes they made, but, then, I'm opposed to most avatar-centric card games (with the exception of all school DBZ/GT :v: ).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
SaffronOlive stays winning with an Ensnaring Bridge/Blood Moon Anti-Fun Free Win deck (hint: he goes like 10-1)

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/much-abrew-about-nothing-modern-free-win-red

Deck: SaffronOlive's Free Win Red

//Creatures
4 Simian Spirit Guide
3 Magus of the Moon

//Spells
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Magma Jet
2 Anger of the Gods
4 Desperate Ritual
2 Pyretic Ritual

//Enchantment
4 Blood Moon

//Artifact
2 Relic of Progenitus
4 Ensnaring Bridge

//Planeswalker
4 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Koth of the Hammer
22 Mountain

//Sideboard
2 Rending Volley
3 Vandalblast
1 Pyroclasm
2 Roast
1 Pithing Needle
2 Relic of Progenitus
4 Dragon's Claw

Display deck statistics

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

SaffronOlive stays winning with an Ensnaring Bridge/Blood Moon Anti-Fun Free Win deck (hint: he goes like 10-1)

It seemed to play against a lot of jank though. Would have been fun to see it played against some good decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

It seemed to play against a lot of jank though. Would have been fun to see it played against some good decks.

The biggest problem is that Ensnaring Bridge is a card that can't be beat by very many decks at all and combo'd with Blood Moon just causes a very quick soft-lock to the game. I think Bridge going to be banned sooner or later simply because there are so many decks that cannot ever beat it with any cards in their arsenal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

The biggest problem is that Ensnaring Bridge is a card that can't be beat by very many decks at all and combo'd with Blood Moon just causes a very quick soft-lock to the game. I think Bridge going to be banned sooner or later simply because there are so many decks that cannot ever beat it with any cards in their arsenal.

Is Bridge even in any T1 decks? I think it's super far from the Ban Hammer.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Ensnaring bridge is definitely a powerful card but banned? Really?

Actually these bridge/moon decks won't do anything but make maelstrom pulse more popular. Far from broken.

Hell, the deck seems pretty vulnerable to thoughtseize too.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 9, 2015

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Barbershop is the main one that comes to mind, it doesn't make up a significant portion of decks. It won a GP, but T1 is a bit much.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Every deck can theoretically side in Wear//Tear if it ever really gets that bad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Markovnikov posted:

It's at least something new. BFZ had poo poo for new mechanics. Awaken is the most exciting thing in that set, and just barely. I'd rather they try and fail spectacularly than print a sub core set level of interesting stuff.

awaken isn't really anything but reverse evoke, to me at least

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Ensnaring Bridge won't be banned until 1/2 of the top 8 pro tour decks play it.

Hey new Uncharted Realms where Kozilek wrecks a bunch of sea creatures just to be a dick.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/rise-kozilek-2015-12-09

and new art

I like the islands just floating away like balloons.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

With special guest, Lorthos! :krakentoot:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like how photoshopped the wall on the right looks

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Nope, but its still a supremely unfun card that I think is an easy target if it ever gets there.

Sickening posted:

Ensnaring bridge is definitely a powerful card but banned? Really?

Actually these bridge/moon decks won't do anything but make maelstrom pulse more popular. Far from broken.

Hell, the deck seems pretty vulnerable to thoughtseize too.

To clarify, I'm only talking about a theoretical universe where decks with the card are actually seeing a lot of play: it isn't getting banned this year or anything. Even Lantern Control doesn't see much play because its not *actually* that much fun to play. But its one of those cards where if it was ever particularly good I think WOTC would put the kibosh on it for being annoying and difficult to interact with.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 9, 2015

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Dungeon Ecology posted:

With special guest, Lorthos! :krakentoot:

:rip: Lorthos

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

:rip: a lot of things in that story. I enjoyed it though.

These stories are so mixed in quality, but I am beginning to look forward to them.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Kelly Digges is a legitimately good writer

That's not quite true for many other WotC authors

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kozilek is also super cool looking

much cooler than Ulamog

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Kozilek is also super cool looking

much cooler than Ulamog

All is Dust reprint?!

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The way Kozilek is described is super cool, it really sells his presence as incomprehensible and other-worldly.

quote:

The world seemed to bend around him, as though he were its center. Those perfect black shards above his head seemed to draw in light itself. She couldn't understand the shape of them, or whether they were even solid. Where they overlapped, they seemed to merge together. They weren't objects, or even shapes—they were holes in space

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

All is Dust reprint?!

Probably a "fixed" all is dust that costs an extra mana or some poo poo.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

All is Dust reprint?!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I could see {4}♦♦, make it interesting.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Niton posted:

I could see {4}♦♦, make it interesting.

That would actually be easier to cast for the only deck in Modern that plays it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

That would actually be easier to cast for the only deck in Modern that plays it.

I'd play a 4 mana all is dust even if its bad against affinity.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

The way Kozilek is described is super cool, it really sells his presence as incomprehensible and other-worldly.

quote:

The world seemed to bend around him, as though he were its center. Those perfect black shards above his head seemed to draw in light itself. She couldn't understand the shape of them, or whether they were even solid. Where they overlapped, they seemed to merge together. They weren't objects, or even shapes—they were holes in space

Man that writing. Yea we get it they're black holes. Just the first and second sentences are fine.

"The shapes around his head seemed to have some sort really really dark quality to them, like if you fell into them the universe would like flash before your eyes, but you'd totally go really slow into them or something...they were definitely something that a famous wheelchair-bound physicist would write a book about."
"Like that Event Horizon movie," Gideon thought.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

quote:

Man that writing. Yea we get it they're black holes. Just the first and second sentences are fine.

"The shapes around his head seemed to have some sort really really dark quality to them, like if you fell into them the universe would like flash before your eyes, but you'd totally go really slow into them or something...they were definitely something that a famous wheelchair-bound physicist would write a book about."
"Like that Event Horizon movie," Gideon thought.

The Brandon Sanderson school of writing. Why describe something once when you can describe it six times a page?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

People will truly find a way to bitch about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

MTG lore is surprisingly decent in reality; the writing is atrocious far too often, but the actual story outline and tropes are not that bad.

It's a loving card game, they don't *actually* need to justify whatever the gently caress happens on any plane.

• Locked thread