Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
3 years? It's fairly new by DF standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I only ever started potting after I did a desert embark with 0 trees and needed a way to keep everything from rotting and all my empty drink barrels from filling up with fat.

So now they've started storing meat in pots, maybe claystone is too porous for drinks???

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Internet Kraken posted:

Half the fun of a new version Dwarf Fortress is seeing all the exciting and hilarious bugs.

Fixed that for you. Reading the bug reports is always fun:

:frog: posted:

Giraffe is trainable for war (possibly hunting) - resolved
:hist101:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Trundel posted:

I only ever started potting after I did a desert embark with 0 trees and needed a way to keep everything from rotting and all my empty drink barrels from filling up with fat.

So now they've started storing meat in pots, maybe claystone is too porous for drinks???

I think you only have to glaze eathernware pots, any pot made from stone should be fine. Try glazing a few just to see? I wouldn't be surprised if there were weird issues with drink storage now that goblets are a thing.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
:confused: I've always made stone pots to store drinks. They're cheaper than making barrels and a good use for junk stone bits.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
G. I. Urist got through to you too well.

Overseers don't let minions use pot[s]

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ignimbrite posted:

:confused: I've always made stone pots to store drinks. They're cheaper than making barrels and a good use for junk stone bits.

Can you explain this to me? I thought every craft/furniture/etc took the same amount! :stare:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

They're just bigger than barrels for the same effort of making one. Less if you consider not having to think about wood.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The elves are mad that a dragon burned down all the trees. :allears:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

RedTonic posted:

The elves are mad that a dragon burned down all the trees. :allears:

Let me be the first to suggest that you acquire a dragon and then capture and feed the elf diplomat to said dragon.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Could I get a quick summary of what wheelbarrows do? I've got one on my embark but I'm not sure how to use it.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

wall monitor posted:

Could I get a quick summary of what wheelbarrows do? I've got one on my embark but I'm not sure how to use it.
It gets used automatically when you designate a stone stockpile and allows your dwarves to move stone quickly.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

wall monitor posted:

Check your stockpile's settings. You can assign 0-3 wheelbarrows to it. Whenever stuff comes in it, the haulers will use the wheelbarrows instead of doing it by hand.

Using wheelbarrows lets you carry anything without getting slowed down. Ideal for boulders and big furniture.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Man am I loving the "Do task now!" feature. My re-claimed fort was totally out of booze and everybody was planting or hauling. Somebody actually got over to the brewery in a reasonable time and started working! Thanks Dwarf Fortress!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

reignofevil posted:

Let me be the first to suggest that you acquire a dragon and then capture and feed the elf diplomat to said dragon.

I definitely tried! Perhaps another will come around to try to avenge the first. It's interesting to see that elven diplomats are back, though. I didn't see any for a long time at the tail end of DF2014. No trade caravan came with this one -- not sure if it's because I had a really eventful in-game year or because of the tree issue. No trade agreement was initiated, either. The elf doesn't have any problem partying in the foreigner tavern, though.

Is there any way to evaluate the quality of a tavern, library, temple, etc. besides the 'l' screen?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I'm jealous, I never seem to get dragons... or many visitors at all, really. A few weredudes on occasion, but aside from that one time I ended up with a half dozen weremammoth citizens it's not a big deal.

quote:

For next time, people should use the instruments in taverns properly -- there were problems with zones and dining rooms, but the dining rooms had it worse. Hopefully that'll fix the broken scribes too, but I'm not 100% sure on that yet. I fixed up the horse etc. population caps, and one variation of playable horses, though since there are still playable donkeys and dogs, I haven't found all of the variations yet. I reduced the severity of syndromes from ingested spatter (which should stop self-cleaning cats spattered with alcohol from getting sick all the time). I stopped outside nobles from making mandates and demands and allowed goblets on embark. I also stopped the weapon slayer list from giving away fort vampires.

quote:

playable horses

:stare: what

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

StrangeAeon posted:

I'm jealous, I never seem to get dragons... or many visitors at all, really. A few weredudes on occasion, but aside from that one time I ended up with a half dozen weremammoth citizens it's not a big deal.

I would be really surprised if Toady hadn't taken some consideration into how close you were to a site for the time taken to get a visitor from it.

Try settling a fort kinda-close to either Goblins (that's what I did; Civ screen showed Humans; My Civ and those same Goblins) or a more friendly race and see what happens. My tavern had like fifteen legitimate visitors before I retired the fort (When I came back there were almost thirty; but most of them were listed as hostile and stand around doing nothing unless attacked).

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

StrangeAeon posted:

quote:

playable horses

:stare: what

Sounds great, play as a horse and go to tavern the barman asks why the long face and perform a energetic ball room dance originally designed for two people.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

scamtank posted:

Check your stockpile's settings. You can assign 0-3 wheelbarrows to it. Whenever stuff comes in it, the haulers will use the wheelbarrows instead of doing it by hand.

Using wheelbarrows lets you carry anything without getting slowed down. Ideal for boulders and big furniture.

Also note that this may limit the number of dwarves who can work on a specific stockpile. So if you set 3 wheelbarrows then only 3 dwarves will tend to work that stockpile which can inadvertently slow down your stockpiling.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

reignofevil posted:

Try settling a fort kinda-close to either Goblins (that's what I did; Civ screen showed Humans; My Civ and those same Goblins) or a more friendly race and see what happens. My tavern had like fifteen legitimate visitors before I retired the fort (When I came back there were almost thirty; but most of them were listed as hostile and stand around doing nothing unless attacked).

Hostile visitors seem to happen if you retire a fort while you have guests (including outpost liaisons). I'm guessing it's a bug. But in my case, the liaison never attacked. I was afraid to target her for fear of a loyalty cascade.

I have dozens of guests, mostly various performers but also soldiers and scholars. I haven't had anyone explicitly labeled as an adventurer or monster-killer yet. I also haven't had any elven guests despite trading with the local elven civ, but I have had goblin slaves (not sure if they came from the goblin civ nearby, or if they came from the human or dwarven civs). I've had huge migrant waves. I'm sitting on around 180 citizens right now, I think.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

TheCIASentMe posted:

Also note that this may limit the number of dwarves who can work on a specific stockpile. So if you set 3 wheelbarrows then only 3 dwarves will tend to work that stockpile which can inadvertently slow down your stockpiling.

Can make a big stockpile into several smaller stockpiles, though!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheCIASentMe posted:

Another quality of life thing I miss about DFHack; you can put more than 3 wheelbarrows in a stockpile.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

psst (0.42.02-r0)

workshop material choosing, prospect and other little essential doodads seem to be working without too much crashing and erroring

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I created a world with a massive elf empire, some goblins, and scattered remnants of human and dwarf civs. Come Autumn, I see a new message: "No outpost liaison? How curious..."

Apparently, my fortress is going to be the last stand against the Elfpire.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
A bard turned up at my fortress and made it through the roaming packs of Giant Dwarf eating Hyenas. He carried this book.

Apparently he decided to make poetry, not weapons, and has written a book about it.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I wish visitors would let you make copies of their books. As it is, my grand library is pretty barren.

Not that my scribe has ever written anything or copied the books I do have, despite having plenty of materials. They won't even bring the sheets, rollers and bindings I made to the library, despite having a bunch of boxes.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Elth posted:

I wish visitors would let you make copies of their books. As it is, my grand library is pretty barren.

Not that my scribe has ever written anything or copied the books I do have, despite having plenty of materials. They won't even bring the sheets, rollers and bindings I made to the library, despite having a bunch of boxes.

I think scribes are currently broken, so they aren't copying texts. But it seems several other things need to come together: you need to make scrolls and quires at craftsdwarf workshops first, then you bind quires that have been written upon at the library into books. Those are taken to the library to be written upon. Make sure you have assigned at least one scholar. I'm pretty sure non-scholar dwarves and others have been writing stuff in my library, because I have like 18 individual books or some poo poo at this point. Make sure you've [b]uilt coffers and/or bags. I'm not sure if they'll use cabinets. Make sure in [l] that you have set up enough paper for your dwarves to use.

I was able to acquire only one outside text so far in trade, from the human civ. It's the only work they've ever offered in trade. Neither the elves nor the dwarves have brought texts for trade. The dwarves have brought sheets of parchment and paper; the elves haven't brought anything of the sort, not even papyrus. I'm wondering if elven civs will be illiterate by default due to their cultural taboos. I have yet to receive an elven visitor from any civ or any guest from an elven civ besides the recent elven diplomat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pondering ways to make creatures stronger (short of giving them natural skills or simply being bigger); does the [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100] do anything if you increase it past 100? From what I understand the idea of it is that it represents how much of the body parts mass is used in an attack, which is why its simply 100 for basically everything. I'm wondering if increasing it past 100 causes it to add even more non-existent mass to the force of the attack. I mean it doesn't make sense but it wouldn't surprise me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have a bunch of quires in my library... Do I need something else for them to write on them or make a written on quire I can bind into a book? It's been quite a while.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Pondering ways to make creatures stronger (short of giving them natural skills or simply being bigger); does the [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100] do anything if you increase it past 100? From what I understand the idea of it is that it represents how much of the body parts mass is used in an attack, which is why its simply 100 for basically everything. I'm wondering if increasing it past 100 causes it to add even more non-existent mass to the force of the attack. I mean it doesn't make sense but it wouldn't surprise me.

Increase it to 10^6 and test in the arena.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tunicate posted:

Increase it to 10^6 and test in the arena.

Dark matter mega punches!

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Right now it kinda feels like:

Making a functioning Tavern
Designate a tavern location, designate bedrooms, make rock mugs, put down containers, assign location jobs. Done.

Making a functioning Library
Designate a library location, put down bookcases, put down containers, make books, oh no wait you can't make books you need to make paper first, you make paper by processing plants, no wait you can't do it at the workshop you do it at a quern, you didn't realize that in time and you already processed all your plants so you need to wait to grow new ones, okay now you have some paper slurry go press it into pages, nope not at the farmer's workshop you need a screw press so go get mechanism production started, okay good you got all that done now you can actually make the paper, now make book bindings, NOW you can bind them into books, and make sure you assign location jobs, except oh wait Scholar is (might be?) broken this patch, so gently caress you wait for the next update

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

I have a bunch of quires in my library... Do I need something else for them to write on them or make a written on quire I can bind into a book? It's been quite a while.

Those quires are probably written on; go check your stocks to ensure you have book bindings, then if so, check your craftsdwarf workshop - the main task menu should have "bind books" lit up as an option. If you don't have book bindings, make some. They're buried in the craftsdwarf workshop menu's materials and also available at a metalsmith's workshop for forging under "other objects," iirc. Maybe you can make them at kilns and glassmaker workshops too? Bone/wood/stone are my preferred materials though. You need a written-on quire and a book binding of any material to actually bind the book at the workshop. You can also make scrolls at the workshop; you need two scroll cap things plus the writing material (but not a quire).

I'm also bummed that somewhere, somehow I lost the two legendary bonecrafters in my fort. :(:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wall monitor posted:

Designate a tavern location, designate bedrooms, make rock mugs, put down containers, assign location jobs. Done.

Designate a library location, put down bookcases, put down containers, make books, oh no wait you can't make books you need to make paper first, you make paper by processing plants, no wait you can't do it at the workshop you do it at a quern, you didn't realize that in time and you already processed all your plants so you need to wait to grow new ones, okay now you have some paper slurry go press it into pages, nope not at the farmer's workshop you need a screw press so go get mechanism production started, okay good you got all that done now you can actually make the paper, now make book bindings, NOW you can bind them into books, and make sure you assign location jobs, except oh wait Scholar is (might be?) broken this patch, so gently caress you wait for the next update

This is why it took so long to develop writing.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Scholar works, scribe doesn't, I have lots of new books. They're all just one of a kind at this point. Yes, building a library is definitely a pain in the rear end above and beyond soap-making. It took me forever to give in and look up how to make paper and discover that it was a goddamn screw press, something I've built in one fort ever, and for some reason you can't even hook those fuckers up to a windmill?!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Workshops are just terrible in this game, especially if items have multiple steps in production. I hope it gets replaced with something more sensible

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the long-term plan is for workshops to be replaced with the zone/location system? I vaguely recall hearing that somewhere.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Met posted:

I hope it gets replaced with something more sensible

Did you forget what game we're playing?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

wall monitor posted:

Yeah, you can definitely tell that bookbinding is something Toady sat down and read the wikipedia pages on and tried to reproduce as completely as possible. Like the beekeeping stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wall monitor posted:

Yeah... I was pleasantly surprised by how easily the tavern stuff functions but wow the library was kind of a headache. Honestly... I kind of like the complexity. I like that I have a mill dedicated to grinding plant slurry. I just wish it was a little more intuitive or that I didn't need to reference the wiki to make sure I've got everything necessary to get the library running right.

Also, the default is like 20 book materials. Watched my dwarves put quires in the library then run them back to the stockpile then put them back in the library then run them back to the stockpile etc. for a while before I finally figured that out. Just raised the desired book materials in the library to like 500 and it stopped - apparently they'll put quires in the coffers even if they desired book material is already at the limit or if other dwarves are hauling quires to the library (like I'm at 19/20 but there's 4 quires being hauled in) at which point they'll take the excess back to the stockpile and then repeat over and over.

Oh also there's a bug where dwarves mob the library as if is a tavern and just sit there doing nothing for a bit - was wondering why dwarves were milling about the library doing jack poo poo all and why there was no one in the tavern dancing around anymore. That one is known though.

RedTonic posted:

Those quires are probably written on; go check your stocks to ensure you have book bindings, then if so, check your craftsdwarf workshop - the main task menu should have "bind books" lit up as an option. If you don't have book bindings, make some. They're buried in the craftsdwarf workshop menu's materials and also available at a metalsmith's workshop for forging under "other objects," iirc. Maybe you can make them at kilns and glassmaker workshops too? Bone/wood/stone are my preferred materials though. You need a written-on quire and a book binding of any material to actually bind the book at the workshop. You can also make scrolls at the workshop; you need two scroll cap things plus the writing material (but not a quire).

I'm also bummed that somewhere, somehow I lost the two legendary bonecrafters in my fort. :(:

Yeah I saw the book binding stuff (complicated!), I just had no written on quires yet. Maybe they've since been written on though and subsequently just stuffed back into the coffer - I'll check today when I get home. I figured they'd put a written on quire on a shelf so I'd notice it at least.

Again I'm not really bothered that it is complicated to make paper/books but yeah idk it is annoying going to all the different workshops and whatever. Might be nice if he just took all those reactions and made a paper workshop - same for the instruments and instrument parts. Or if a part just has to be forged at a metalsmith or something you can notate 'made at X workshop' on the tooltip. Yeah the instruments do say glass, metal, leather, etc. from which you can figure out the appropriate shop (although it is a little convoluted and requires picking out several adjectives in a long description to figure out what shops you'll need to make the parts) but good luck with the book supplies. It's

Masterwork had a dedicated paper/writing toolshop iirc. Seems like a good idea.

of course a lot of this is just new stuff that I haven't figured out yet, not like any of the other systems I'm used to by now are any more uncomplicated.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 9, 2015