Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Shinino Kage posted:

Playing DDFi of Pakellas. Just found a scroll of acquirement in Lair 2. What do I ask for? Info on character below:
I'd acquire weapon here. Armour would also be OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Wonder if he does any weight shifting for rod/staff acquirement.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I would much rather fight them than get caught out by a water nymph or kraken at the worst possible time. Shoals has a crazy number of enemies that are dangerous individually and incredibly dangerous in conjunction with other monsters in their branch. In Swamp you can manage the worst threats by having rPois and either plenty of violence or a good escape plan, but there's a lot of stuff in Shoals that will just loving kill the dickens out of you if things go wrong and party-crashers start piling into the fight.

Like, in Swamp I'm generally willing to teleport if things get out of hand, except maybe on the bottom level. In Shoals teleporting has almost always killed my rear end. There are a lot of unique dangers there - there's no feasible way to get rDrown or resistance to manticore barbs and Kraken dragging while being engulfed. It's a really, really gnarly branch. Cool design concept, lots of character, but IMO the hardest by far of the four non-Slime Lair branches.

e: I mean, my "feel relatively safe poking around Swamp" checklist is rPois and decent combat ability, same for Snake (ideally with some MR too). For Shoals if I don't have rPois, Clarity, good defences AND rMisl, I'll seriously consider trying most or all of Elf first assuming I have sInv and non-abysmal resists. gently caress Shoals.

To add to this, Merfolk Javelineers can do surprising amounts of damage, and frightening levels of it if you are susceptible to silvered weapons; Demonspawn and Transmuters beware.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
A lot of the difficulty of Shoals is an equipment check like the other lair branches. It's just that instead of a small handful of resists it's invis, flying, rmsl, and ranged attacks of your own.

Bad times for AC-heavy melee guys who haven't branched out yet, in other words. :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's weird that Fedhas makes throne hunters friendly when TSO no longer makes angels friendly, tbh

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Just ascended my Halfing Fighter. Tomb turned out to hold pretty much everything I needed to jump from 'capable of winning' to 'capable if obliterating extended'

code:
Health: 224/224    AC: 55    Str: 22    XL:     27
Magic:  37/40      EV: 37    Int: 15    God:    the Shining One [******]
Gold:   12133      SH: 41    Dex: 32    Spells: 2 memorised, 24 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     a - +9 eudemon blade (holy)
rCold  + + +     Clarity  .     K - +7 crystal plate armour
rNeg   + + +     SustAt   +     v - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois  +         Gourm    .     T - +1 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  .         Spirit   .     M - +1 cloak of the Guardian {rF+ MR+ Str+3 Dex+4}
rCorr  .         Dismiss  .     J - +4 pair of gloves of Demons {rPois rC+ Int-4}
rMut   .         Stasis   .     z - +2 pair of boots of the Assassin {DetectMon Stab+ Stlth++}
MR     +++++                    e - macabre finger necklace {rN+}
Stlth  ..........               r - ring "Vyrujin" {SustAt rF+ Int+4 Slay+2}
                                i - +4 ring of slaying
                                d - ring "Egiwus" {rC+ MR+ Int+4 SInv}

@: agile, divine shield, glowing, almost entirely resistant to hostile
enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: mutation resistance 1
a: Divine Shield, Cleansing Flame, Summon Divine Warrior, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian,
icy, bone, abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark
Full Morgue is here. First time I went into extended without magic, but wow, TSO is pretty good on a character who can tank. And wow could I tank. Those defenses were unreal. Rod of Inaccuracy is great with TSO halo too. Halfling mut resist innate was a godsend. I went through 7 cure mut pots this game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd rather do Shoals than Swamp. More potential for good gear out of it, on account of merfolks and the potential for shop spawns. Swamp is easier but has some really obnoxious endings that are just not fun to deal with.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

IronicDongz posted:

It's weird that Fedhas makes throne hunters friendly when TSO no longer makes angels friendly, tbh

Not much difference between that and Jivya making all slimy brethren friendly. There's at least precedent in that Angels can spawn as being affiliated with Xom instead! :v:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

TSO makes no one friendly. Fedhas makes all plants friendly.

Note, also, that there is no* area of the game filled exclusively with plants.

*Temple doesn't count

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

Note, also, that there is no* area of the game filled exclusively with plants.

*Temple doesn't count

There also aren't any plant uniques to cheese.

Is this why there's no Vine Stalker unique?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dee Ehm posted:

There also aren't any plant uniques to cheese.

Is this why there's no Vine Stalker unique?

There's no Vine Stalker unique because no one's ever designed a good one, afaik.

Ferrinus posted:

Feature request: a high-level conjurations/hexes/transmutations spell called Prismatic Spray that blasts every enemy in a glaciate-sized cone for heavy damage + random debuffs

I really like this. But, I'm also reminded of a joke a friend told me back when Singularity was first added: "What's a level 9 Transmutation? Do massive damage to a large area, and turn into an ant!"

More specifically, I wonder how much people would care about the debuffs, as opposed to the damage. I suppose enemies that survive heavy damage are the ones you most care about debuffing...

I'm also not sure how it'd interact with MR.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
So I haven't been able to find a clear answer to a question pertinent to my next character:

Can Kobolds wield Triple Crossbows? It's important to me that the answer is yes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That proposed hex spell is basically Ru's ultimate, too

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Dee Ehm posted:

So I haven't been able to find a clear answer to a question pertinent to my next character:

Can Kobolds wield Triple Crossbows? It's important to me that the answer is yes.

Yes they can

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Operation 'Lizard with a Sniper Rifle' is go. :getin:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dee Ehm posted:

Operation 'Lizard with a Sniper Rifle' is go. :getin:

quote:

Kobolds are small, greyish creatures with the looks and temperaments of feral
dogs
. No one knows for sure where kobolds come from, but ancient demon-gods,
evil spirits, and meddling wizards have all been suggested as culprits.
:colbert:

Also, I like this new mutation.
code:
Your movements are slightly less encumbered by armour (ER -2)

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

World Famous Whore posted:

:colbert:

code:

They're lizards in dungeons and dragons, and their sprite does look relatively lizardly! The problem is that the name is co-opted for just about any monster species in whatever media!

... my bad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Nah, it's been a push-pull thing about kobolds as either dragons or dogs since the 1990s. 3e D&D just came down really hard on the dragon side, is all.

There's a cutscene from Baldur's Gate with a great example of dog kobolds, but nobody has it on youtube without 30 minutes of LP attached, so gently caress LINKING THAT.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think far more people/fantasy media properties come down on the 'lizard' side of the kobold debate in modern times

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It turns out Dragons call lasts for a really long time, so I guess I've found a new megazig tool. Unfortunately, it's kind of annoying. I want to cast it before going to the next level because I might be drowned in silence, but if it turns out to be a regular level the dragons end up getting in the way and I can't turn that poo poo off so I have to keep confirming that yes, I want to firestorm that drat quicksilver that spawned next to the ghost moth.

Is there any reason why summons turn hostile when taking damage at this point? It mostly just serves to make summons more clunky and annoying, and summons already have that well covered anyway. Having your summons block your shots & get wrecked by friendly fire is enough of a penalty to discourage it. I don't think there is a single way to exploit attacking your summons left in the game, we already have several summons that can turn hostile naturally, and god penance for friendly fire can still exist.

Darox fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 9, 2015

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Darox posted:

It turns out Dragons call lasts for a really long time, so I guess I've found a new megazig tool. Unfortunately, it's kind of annoying. I want to cast it before going to the next level because I might be drowned in silence, but if it turns out to be a regular level the dragons end up getting in the way and I can't turn that poo poo off so I have to keep confirming that yes, I want to firestorm that drat quicksilver that spawned next to the ghost moth.

Is there any reason why summons turn hostile when taking damage at this point? It mostly just serves to make summons more clunky and annoying, and summons already have that well covered anyway. Having your summons block your shots & get wrecked by friendly fire is enough of a penalty to discourage it. I don't think there is a single way to exploit attacking your summons left in the game, we already have several summons that can turn hostile naturally, and god penance for friendly fire can still exist.

One summon feature I strongly dislike is their inability to attack things that you don't have a direct LOS of; not even LOS through a clear wall. Unless they changed this recently, you have to remember that your summons are basically braindead vs enemies unless you keep the arbitrary rule in mind of "can I smite this monster?"

I get that summoners (specially ones that can join the fight) are still quite effective, but they feel unnecessarily clunky just for the sake of keeping them balanced.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

World Famous Whore posted:

code:

So gooooooood. Me wanties.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
So lately, even on D:2 Sigmund doesn't even make me sweat anymore. He's relatively predictable and unless you draw his attention in an already messy situation he's easy to deal with. I can't remember the last time he offed a character of mine. Grinder on the other hand puts the fear of death in me. Blinking closer to me and the risk of paralysis is much scarier than an orc wizard with a trap weapon.

So I was thinking, what if we gave Sigmund blink? That would bring him back to being the proper scourge of the early game worthy of his legacy. Blink while invisible with a reaching weapon? He'll be a terror.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Dee Ehm posted:

So lately, even on D:2 Sigmund doesn't even make me sweat anymore. He's relatively predictable and unless you draw his attention in an already messy situation he's easy to deal with. I can't remember the last time he offed a character of mine. Grinder on the other hand puts the fear of death in me. Blinking closer to me and the risk of paralysis is much scarier than an orc wizard with a trap weapon.

So I was thinking, what if we gave Sigmund blink? That would bring him back to being the proper scourge of the early game worthy of his legacy. Blink while invisible with a reaching weapon? He'll be a terror.

i think sigmund is fine as he is tbh, he's a good measuring stick for your crawl skills and learning to handle him/other 'scary' early uniques is an important step to getting better at crawl earlygame tactics. changing it to make it harder just seems cruel

e: also this vvv x about a thousand

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 9, 2015

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
If anything needs to be potentially harder, it certainly isn't the early game :x

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Also, having Blink generally makes things easier to handle. Unless they get really, really lucky with their blinks they'll eventually blink far enough away from you that you can just ditch them.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

PleasingFungus posted:

I really like this. But, I'm also reminded of a joke a friend told me back when Singularity was first added: "What's a level 9 Transmutation? Do massive damage to a large area, and turn into an ant!"

More specifically, I wonder how much people would care about the debuffs, as opposed to the damage. I suppose enemies that survive heavy damage are the ones you most care about debuffing...

MR is a sickness and should be cut out of Crawl. Although for something like prismatic spray, damage could be one of a number of random effects inflicted on each target - I'm thinking more like an amped-up, AoE, guaranteed-baleful (perhaps not guaranteed...?) wand of chaos rather than glaciate with a different upside.

A level 9 transmutation spell should of course devolve and/or malmutate every enemy on the screen while giving you a stat bonus per target affected.

But seriously, bring back singularity as level 9 transloc/hexes and prevent it from affecting targets the caster can't see.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah, since the most high-end pure Transmutey sort of spell we have currently is Eldritch Portal, clearly what needs to happen is a bunch of tentacles attempt to latch on to every monster in LOS while you get rooted to the floor as you transform to a writhing column. Every monster connected to you grants you an immediate bonus to your HP that remains until spell is complete and then a bonus to HP regen while simultaneously taking damage until they die. Monsters will either do their normal actions towards you (attack if adjacent, spellcast, move closer, etc) or attempt to sever the tentacle. Spellcasting and attacking are unaffected, maybe a boost to EV is required because your armour slots are all merged and the weaving is disorienting (or dead bodies get pulled in for some temporary AC!).

Zin is horrified by this spell. I'm also horrified by my abomination.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Sage Grimm posted:

Nah, since the most high-end pure Transmutey sort of spell we have currently is Eldritch Portal, clearly what needs to happen is a bunch of tentacles attempt to latch on to every monster in LOS while you get rooted to the floor as you transform to a writhing column. Every monster connected to you grants you an immediate bonus to your HP that remains until spell is complete and then a bonus to HP regen while simultaneously taking damage until they die. Monsters will either do their normal actions towards you (attack if adjacent, spellcast, move closer, etc) or attempt to sever the tentacle. Spellcasting and attacking are unaffected, maybe a boost to EV is required because your armour slots are all merged and the weaving is disorienting (or dead bodies get pulled in for some temporary AC!).

Zin is horrified by this spell. I'm also horrified by my abomination.

Remain where you are. There is someone who wishes to speak with you.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
What if there was a level 9 Tmut spell that just made you start budding. You just constantly drop little powered-down clones of yourself that run around hitting things and farting spells everywhere and screaming "creator! Avenge meeeeee!" in little clone voices when they die

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

PleasingFungus posted:

cheetah7071 posted:

That proposed hex spell is basically Ru's ultimate, too

That's the thing. Debuffs really are king. Ru's ultimate completely destroys Pan/Hell lords. If it doesn't kill them outright, it paralyzes/confuses them for more than enough time to walk up and bash their skulls in. A level 9 translocation/hex that's basically Ru's ultimate would be amazing, even if it didn't have the raw damage of firestorm/glaciate.

...please don't nerf Ru's ultimate. I like having an 'I win' button :ohdear:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Debuffs are great, except almost every single extended creature that's actually dangerous is outright immune to hexes. Ru's ultimate ignores that of course, but anything that relies on MR checks becomes substantially less cool when you're in hell.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Honestly, this would be my favorite roguelike if the extended game (and Zot) didn't make so many cool options just outright worthless. My first character to ever reach Zot was a Vampire Enchanter and I was super disappointed when I realized that my stealth, hexes, and short swords were suddenly almost useless. I understand that debuffs can trivialize encounters sometimes, but the way it is now is just not fun imo.

Well, ok. The ridiculously swingy damage calculations are also a major sore point, but that's a different issue.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Dee Ehm posted:

Does he really need to be more of a terror? I always thought he was intended as an introduction to dangerous spellcasters for new players. He provided a method to discover what works, doesn't work, and that sometimes you should avoid a level and come back.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Non-purple Draconians and most Dragons in Zot are pretty hex vulnerable, but yeah, there's a lot that is either outright immune to hexes, or has so much MR they're effectively immune. I saw a suggestion that MR might work like hit points, where you could break through tough enemies' resistance with multiple casts?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Internet Kraken posted:

Debuffs are great, except almost every single extended creature that's actually dangerous is outright immune to hexes. Ru's ultimate ignores that of course, but anything that relies on MR checks becomes substantially less cool when you're in hell.

Dairy Power posted:

Honestly, this would be my favorite roguelike if the extended game (and Zot) didn't make so many cool options just outright worthless. My first character to ever reach Zot was a Vampire Enchanter and I was super disappointed when I realized that my stealth, hexes, and short swords were suddenly almost useless. I understand that debuffs can trivialize encounters sometimes, but the way it is now is just not fun imo.

Well, ok. The ridiculously swingy damage calculations are also a major sore point, but that's a different issue.

That's why you switch to blowguns and needles. :cool:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dee Ehm posted:

Non-purple Draconians and most Dragons in Zot are pretty hex vulnerable, but yeah, there's a lot that is either outright immune to hexes, or has so much MR they're effectively immune. I saw a suggestion that MR might work like hit points, where you could break through tough enemies' resistance with multiple casts?

That was me and I think it'd be cool. Glow or contamination or something builds higher and higher on monsters as they get hexed, and once it exceeds their HD or HP or something the hex takes effect. MR just increases or lowers a monster's hex HP and some hexes can have partial, automatic effects once the bar's upticked at all or half-filled or something.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Stealth is not useless in extended. It's actually amazing anywhere that's not Hell (has a tendency of dropping enemies directly on top of you) and Ziggurats (small arenas). You can lose particularly nasty enemies by breaking Line of Sight faster which makes kiting techniques better if you aren't being noisy every step of the way. And you can sneaky sneak the runes right out from underneath the named princes which is better for your score than trying to kill them.

But yes, Hexes tend to fall off against the big guys of Pan, Hell, Abyss and Tomb. That's sort of a problem when being affected is based on a percent chance or outright cancelled by immunity. You have Darkness and Eldritch Portal as your big spells that don't require a dice throw.

Short Blades need certain brands to stay relevant in extended and/or some sort of slay bonus. That's more of an equipment check and with cross-training switching over to a bigger base damage in long blades isn't as bad.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Did they rename Malign Gateway or are yall just freestylin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sage Grimm posted:

Stealth is not useless in extended. It's actually amazing anywhere that's not Hell (has a tendency of dropping enemies directly on top of you) and Ziggurats (small arenas). You can lose particularly nasty enemies by breaking Line of Sight faster which makes kiting techniques better if you aren't being noisy every step of the way.
Don't forget the ability to fight one or two enemies without drawing an entire pack, unless that's what you meant by 'kiting techniques'.

quote:

And you can sneaky sneak the runes right out from underneath the named princes which is better for your score than trying to kill them.
Although this one is questionable now that pan lords chase you through pan. It's generally easier fighting them in their home levels than fighting them on top of whatever else is spawning on a different level.

• Locked thread