Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Thanks for all the flower sprout comments and advice!

Suspect Bucket posted:

That just don't look right

ha! Excellent, now I like them even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

fullroundaction posted:

My problem / question is this: whenever I make a stromboli or calzone (anything that's not just a standard pizza), they always come out way too bread-like (think pepperoni bread). I can't seem to produce anything that even remotely resemble something you'd get from a pizza joint.

I've never manged to get a Stromboli to work, whatever I do the dough in the inner rolls ends up raw :(

Anyways, try replacing about 150g of the bread flour with semolina (you can also mix semolina with the flour you used when rolling out and shaping the dough) this should help give a crisper and rougher texture to the dough when it's baked. Semolina absorbs slightly less water than normal flour, so you might need to adjust that as well.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 8, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nicol Bolas posted:

You can also freeze it into ice cubes for indefinite cooking storage.

This is the pro move if you're just going to cook with it. I will freeze wine as soon as I open it sometimes so I always have it available for sauces.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm really struggling with the concept of leftover wine...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Like if you need to get emergency drunk, you can just pop a few cubes in your mouth

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Scientastic posted:

I rarely have leftover wine, but there are times I want some wine for a sauce but don't want to open a whole bottle so I head those off by making winecubes.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

No, Pinot Grigio uncorked will be fine until vinegar forms in refrigeration, which is about a week. 3-4 weeks in a bag, 5-6 in a vacuum.

Yeah, the vacuum pumps are amazing; properly evacuated and stored in the fridge will easily get you 6 weeks. Red wine left on the counter will last close to a month.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
At the grocery I often see bagged spices in the ethnic foods section, like El Guapo, Tampico, Sadaf or Mirabelle. They're anywhere from 59c to $1, whereas American branded jars of spice are $4 to $8.

I can say without a doubt that Kroger's store brand spices are garbage.

Are the internationally branded spices good?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Generally, yes, but it depends on the brand.

At the Marketbaskets around here, we have a lot of Badia brand spices, which are generally excellent, and like 20% of the price of the name-brand "white-people" spices.
http://www.amazon.com/Badia-Spices-Spice-Pepper-12-Ounce/dp/B003L8R7TU

We generally get the big Badia containers of crushed red pepper, granulated garlic, are a few other things that we use a lot of.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

Sometimes you pass out before you drink the whole 5 gallons of Gallo.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Grand Fromage posted:

I rarely have leftover wine, but there are times I want some wine for a sauce but don't want to open a whole bottle so I head those off by making winecubes.

For this, I learned to cook with port instead of wine.

positives:
1. better tasting for cooking purposes
2. lasts forever, even when the bottle is opened
3. is nice to drink as well

negatives:
1. the bottle is empty sometimes

paraquat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 8, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

This is the pro move if you're just going to cook with it. I will freeze wine as soon as I open it sometimes so I always have it available for sauces.

Yeah I think this is what I'm going to end up doing. There are a lot of recipes I'd like to try that call for wine but living on my own, I don't buy bottles often; keeping a bag of frozen white cubes and a bag of frozen red cubes for cooking purposes is probably the way to go instead of polishing off a bottle every time I want to try a new recipe (though that sounds fun too :) )

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

paraquat posted:

For this, I learned to cook with port instead of wine.

positives:
1. better tasting for cooking purposes
2. lasts forever, even when the bottle is opened
3. is nice to drink as well

negatives:
1. the bottle is empty sometimes

Unless it's an LBV port, it will not last forever.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Ok -- my mom is asking me what is "emulsificante" in English (from Brazilian Portuguese). I'm like "well, many things are emulsifiers..." long story short, please watch this video at 4:30 and tell me what they're adding? Because it looks like straight up vegetable shortening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOCOgj81FCY

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Turkeybone posted:

Ok -- my mom is asking me what is "emulsificante" in English (from Brazilian Portuguese). I'm like "well, many things are emulsifiers..." long story short, please watch this video at 4:30 and tell me what they're adding? Because it looks like straight up vegetable shortening.

ingredients:
Water, stabilizers: distilled monoglycerides and fatty acids and fatty acid salt emulsifiers: (sarbitana) monostearate and polyoxyethylene monostearate (sarbina).

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Turkeybone posted:

looks like shortening or lard to me. Knowing Brazilins, it's lard.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Has anyone tried this Beyond Meat stuff? I'm a curious environmentalist who loves meat.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

psychokitty posted:

Has anyone tried this Beyond Meat stuff? I'm a curious environmentalist who loves meat.
Just support local farms that rotate livestock and plants. I'm of the opinion that non local food isn't environmental no matter how much soy it's made of.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

psychokitty posted:

Looks like poo poo; just buy proteins from local farms that don't treat their livestock like poo poo.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Yes that's what I do now Chef and Wookums, but I also have financial limitations and a large husband to feed (not like that... he's just a big dude).

Edit: Like, I buy a 3.5 lb local awesome chuck roast and make boeuf bourgignon with tons of veg... lasts barely 2 dinners with having invited one friend over. Oh, and no children.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 9, 2015

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

psychokitty posted:

Buy a cow, kill the cow humanely, butcher the cow, freeze 90% of the cow, eat the rest of the cow over a year.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

baquerd posted:

Buy a cow, kill the cow humanely, butcher the cow, freeze 90% of the cow, eat the rest of the cow over a year.

We did this and it has been great, except the fact that they ground a truly staggering amount of the non-steak cuts. We got like 20 1+lb packages of ground beef and like 10+ packages of whole muscle cuts. I wish they had left more of it whole, I can slice chuck thin for bulgogi or roast it or, hell, grind it my dang self, but ground beef is kind of limiting. So, uh, ask for whole muscle even possible and invest in a meat grinder.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

So, no one has tried that fake meat, then?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

psychokitty posted:

Only vegetarians et al. would generally bother to try fake meat. Try asking in that thread?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I got a pack of dry congee mix from my mom when she was cleaning out her cupboards. It has absolutely no seasoning, what the hell do I add to this dry rice/bean/grain monstrosity to make it delicious?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Wezlar posted:

I got a pack of dry congee mix from my mom when she was cleaning out her cupboards. It has absolutely no seasoning, what the hell do I add to this dry rice/bean/grain monstrosity to make it delicious?

Boy, are you in for a treat.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

psychokitty posted:

I tried the "chicken" strips but I didn't like them that much. They were kind of rubbery and had a plasticky taste. However, for full disclosure I didn't follow their package instructions, which specified thawing before cooking. That might have affected the texture, but probably not the taste that much.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Nicol Bolas posted:

We did this and it has been great, except the fact that they ground a truly staggering amount of the non-steak cuts. We got like 20 1+lb packages of ground beef and like 10+ packages of whole muscle cuts. I wish they had left more of it whole, I can slice chuck thin for bulgogi or roast it or, hell, grind it my dang self, but ground beef is kind of limiting. So, uh, ask for whole muscle even possible and invest in a meat grinder.

Communicate more with your butcher. You probably didn't get all the bones or organs or that stuff, which is valuable and good but which is normally not given to customers.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Eeyo posted:

I tried the "chicken" strips but I didn't like them that much. They were kind of rubbery and had a plasticky taste. However, for full disclosure I didn't follow their package instructions, which specified thawing before cooking. That might have affected the texture, but probably not the taste that much.

Thank you for your honesty.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Boy, are you in for a treat.

That looks amazing, I will post the results!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Holiday season is here, I've got some days off coming up, and I want to make some prime rib in my oven. Best recipes?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

Holiday season is here, I've got some days off coming up, and I want to make some prime rib in my oven. Best recipes?

I basically did the serious eats method for thanksgiving. Salt and pepper, cooked it to 128f in a 170f oven. Took about 6 hours. Then rested it and finished with a searzall and quick reverse sear in a 550 oven. Was pretty much perfect. Served with homemade horseradish and a jus.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I basically did the serious eats method for thanksgiving. Salt and pepper, cooked it to 128f in a 170f oven. Took about 6 hours. Then rested it and finished with a searzall and quick reverse sear in a 550 oven. Was pretty much perfect. Served with homemade horseradish and a jus.

HOLY SHITSNACKS

I'm sending that to my mom right now who's always trying to perfect our xmukkah prime rib.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

What are the rolled up cheese/bready things in the left of the picture? They look delicious...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

What are the rolled up cheese/bready things in the left of the picture? They look delicious...

They are butterhorn rolls, a recipe I got from the Cook Illustrated baking cookbook. Lots of butter in the dough, brushed on when you roll them, brushed on before you bake them and then I brushed some more on after because why not. Butter.

They were good. Very buttery.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have come in posession of a large (for me) number of eggs. Anyone have any good egg recipes so I can get rid of these without eating breakfast for three meals a day this weekend?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Cheesecake, ice cream, brownies, cornbread muffins

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

I have come in posession of a large (for me) number of eggs. Anyone have any good egg recipes so I can get rid of these without eating breakfast for three meals a day this weekend?

You could try making Spekkoek, it's a sort of dense, spiced caked that's popular in Indonesia and the Netherlands, and it requires an absurd quantity of eggs:

http://www.food.com/recipe/spekkoek-thousand-layer-spice-cake-144748

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They are butterhorn rolls, a recipe I got from the Cook Illustrated baking cookbook. Lots of butter in the dough, brushed on when you roll them, brushed on before you bake them and then I brushed some more on after because why not. Butter.

They were good. Very buttery.

Nice, I might try and make them this weekend. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

spankmeister posted:

Fresh egg pasta is amazingly great and eats up eggs like nobody's business.