Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I've put hundreds upon hundreds of hours in CK2 and EU4 and I still close HOI3 within 5 minutes of opening it every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

QuarkJets posted:

I'm not a Paradox player, I tried to play Hearts of Iron 3 a long time ago and closed it within about 5 minutes. EU4 doesn't feel like that kind of game. Yes, it has a lot of knobs and levers, but it just feels a lot more user-friendly than those older hardcore strategy games.

It wasn't really until CK2 and EU4 that Paradox games started having learning curves rather than 90 degree learning walls.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
This is the best mod.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I don't know. HoI2 was really straightforward to jump into, for me. After a few false starts I got familiar enough with the system to do a World Conquest with a friend playing Germany. I still haven't figured HoI3 out all that well. I think it's more of a problem HoI3 and Vicky II had than the other Paradox games.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

IRONMAN COMPATIBLE!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man I am loving loving the Threaten War option. It actually makes it possible to sort of leapfrog provinces in order to get close enough to get claims on the province/nation that you actually want to fight. It's nice to not have to fight a pointless war for land you don't really want just to open up a path that lets you get close enough to fabricate a claim on someone.

Still waiting on that "Fabricate claim on neighboring province for +X% Liberty Desire" vassal interaction though :argh:

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

VDay posted:

Man I am loving loving the Threaten War option. It actually makes it possible to sort of leapfrog provinces in order to get close enough to get claims on the province/nation that you actually want to fight. It's nice to not have to fight a pointless war for land you don't really want just to open up a path that lets you get close enough to fabricate a claim on someone.

I had just taken Scandinavian land across the water from Danzig which had been released and eaten by Pommerania quickly. Was planning my strategy for fighting super Austria coming to the defense when... oh it looks like I can just threaten for it because Pomm isn't considering Austria in their strength of alliances. Poland broke that alliance fast.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Yo Wiz, et al, you guys fixing the fog of war bug? It feels like the AI know where my army is, even if I'm six provinces deep away from their prying eyes, or even in allied territory not adjacent to any of their land. They just have an uncanny ability to seek out my army and ruin it. I can't bait them or split them up or any tactics: they just send the doomstack after me now matter how I try to duck and weave.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
What are good idea sets of Ireland? I'm attempting a luck of the Irish run and have a fairly good start.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Roadie posted:

I feel like it would produce less silly results by default if it was much, much more weighted towards continents. As it is, you rarely get anything with enough landmass to actually be comparable to the Americas, but "I only got a bunch of islands / two continents the size of Australia" should be a lot rarer instead of pretty much the default.

I think there needs to be a bunch more continent tiles to support that. I think Wiz said they plan to add a bunch, and mods should add even more once people get going.

As soon as I get some more free time I'm going to make a bunch of tiles myself.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

Yeah I feel the same, I have 40+ hours now and I haven't even gotten it once, and I've dipped into the disasters countless times. I feel like people see the scary red fire and think it's game over, but there's an 80 month timer on it. Unless you went utterly nuts with the influence, you'll almost certainly get an event or something that puts you in the green again.

I'm sure the estates need and will get some balancing, but I'm still really really liking them. I like that influence reduction is hard to come by, it means you have to actually plan a bit and think about the events seriously.

e: also one really understated thing that estates bring that I think is actually pretty gamechanging: the integration into existing popups in the game. I don't know about you guys but with a few exceptions, probably like 90% of popups and events had a right answer for me that I would just click on every time without even thinking. I can't do that anymore, and I love that so much.

I disagree with this, estates aren't really planning, unless you call "never go above 60 influence and pray to rng you don't get hosed if you do" planning. This also means most events don't leave you with an actual choice, you have to pick the option that gives influence to the faction with the least influence.
And if you ever do gently caress it up and RNG pisses on you, then you get to enjoy 10+ lovely years until those influence modifiers run out, there's nothing you can actively do to reduce influence apart from pulling all their estates, which tanks loyalty and gives revolts.
An other fun bit, theocracies have +20 base influence for the clergy, have fun with that.

I don't get how you people manage to milk the estates for benefits, all those actions reduce either loyalty or increase influence, the moment I use those I get RNG hosed. Is there some secret to decrease influence?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Frogfingers posted:

Yo Wiz, et al, you guys fixing the fog of war bug? It feels like the AI know where my army is, even if I'm six provinces deep away from their prying eyes, or even in allied territory not adjacent to any of their land. They just have an uncanny ability to seek out my army and ruin it. I can't bait them or split them up or any tactics: they just send the doomstack after me now matter how I try to duck and weave.

Pretty sure that Wiz has said that the AI doesn't cheat with regards to fog of war.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

good poo poo go౦ԁ poo poo thats some goodshit rightthere rightthere if i do ƽaү so my self i say so thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ Good poo poo

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Deltasquid posted:

What are good idea sets of Ireland? I'm attempting a luck of the Irish run and have a fairly good start.

Depends on your "fairly good start". If you can get a province in Iceland you can grab Exploration and reach the New World before Diplo 7. Otherwise in an ideal situation you won't have a chance to grab very many ideas before you're either breaking apart England into its constituent nations (better to release them as vassals as opposed to just independent nations because if France allies them it's going to get so much harder) or getting your face kicked in.

Eej fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 9, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Smiling Knight posted:

Pretty sure that Wiz has said that the AI doesn't cheat with regards to fog of war.

The AI can see more than you in terms of fog of war, however it does not act on that knowledge.

the man himself, wiz posted:

- AI can see through fog of war, but pretends it can't in most cases.

The AI being able to see that information but not acting on it is almost the exact same as them not seeing on it in the first place, as they do not have the same strategising brain that a human has, unless Wiz has been working on the first real artificial intelligence that can learn and decided the best use for it was map games. You can tell the AI does not take notice of what it can actually see because it is totally content to walk a 30 stack through a mountainous province that is under siege by 80k other men already and take the 5% attrition on the chin, despite the fact that it could see that was happening miles away.

Likely what is happening to the OP is that they are either not taking full advantage of fortresses, or are trying to mount a siege offensive before softening up the AI armies.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 9, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Exploration or Expansion for Muscovy? I'm kinda leaning Exploration so I can take religious second, but I have no clue.

In my most recent game I took Exploration, but only bought the first two ideas so I could get a jump start colonizing Siberia. Once I had enough other ideas to have Admin below 50%, I dropped Exploration and bought Expansion because I like the bonuses there better.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Any advice on how to start a For Odin run? I started taking a bunch of English stuff including London as my starting 5 but I'm still badly outgunned at the start and everyone hates me.

I've contemplated starting in New World but I feel like it's easier to grab those high value provinces initially.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Palleon posted:

Any advice on how to start a For Odin run? I started taking a bunch of English stuff including London as my starting 5 but I'm still badly outgunned at the start and everyone hates me.

I've contemplated starting in New World but I feel like it's easier to grab those high value provinces initially.

Consider starting on Ireland. It is more defensible, and your AE is less likely to leak onto the continent there. You should get an easy chance to take out Scotland once France gets dragged into a nasty war with Burgundy or England. Take advantage of that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eej posted:

Depends on your "fairly good start". If you can get a province in Iceland you can grab Exploration and reach the New World before Diplo 7. Otherwise in an ideal situation you won't have a chance to grab very many ideas before you're either breaking apart England into its constituent nations (better to release them as vassals as opposed to just independent nations because if France allies them it's going to get so much harder) or getting your face kicked in.

I have most of Ireland + Scotland with a Scottish OPM march for some extra troops. Allied to recently independent Sweden, buttering up France for the inevitable showdown against the English.

Ended up taking exploration and then quantity. I'm a bit in a financial pickly, though. Gotta juggle the estates while trying to stay above 1 ducat/month so I can get my colonies up and running.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

You don't have to buy cossacks for the rnw updates, I think.

You need to have purchased conquest of paradise, however.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I should try and just never hand anything out to the estates, ever, and see if the occasional low loyalty rebellions are any worse than random event ones. Having an autonomy floor on any province triggers my brain AIDS and causes me to try to do insane Austria-style snaking to fix it.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

I should try and just never hand anything out to the estates, ever, and see if the occasional low loyalty rebellions are any worse than random event ones. Having an autonomy floor on any province triggers my brain AIDS and causes me to try to do insane Austria-style snaking to fix it.

I did that in one of my nogai games, there's a penalty for having 0 influence depending on the faction but for the tribes it wasn't bad. The rebels from removing the estates weren't bad, stacks of 7-10.

vvvv Tribes are worth it for roughly the first 50 years, after that they're not needed anymore and just annoying as hell, especially on accepted culture land.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 9, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

But as a Horde the extra manpower from having tribes land seems a lot more useful than the small amount of money that you don't care about...?

I would give all my land to the tribes if I could.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm having trouble with downloading from the workshop. I'm subscribed to like 3 or 4 mods but none of them are like even being acknowledged by steam for downloading.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm having trouble with downloading from the workshop. I'm subscribed to like 3 or 4 mods but none of them are like even being acknowledged by steam for downloading.

I could never get EUIV mods to download from Steam unless I enabled Steam cloud. Even though it worked for some other games with cloud off.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Palleon posted:

Trujillo posted:

There are probably 1000 ways to do it but what I did was start as a republic with a leader with 5 mil, London, Essex, Marches, the province south of Marches, and Meath, plus 5% discipline and a land forcelimit modifier and pick the deity that gives you 5% discipline. The first 5 tries I didn't take London but took some other 5 provinces in Ireland/Scotland because London is so expensive but each time England would eventually crush me so you need London to weaken them. England starts with a 0/0/0 ruler and will probably have trouble early on with France/civil war/lollards and you when you get 2 mil techs ahead of them. You'll probably get a mission to take over something in Ireland at the start. Take it and start a claim on another Irish country and take over Ireland, leaving one or two of the Irish countries as vassals if you want to cut back on rebels. From there you'll be a decent size to be able to take out Scotland or England depending on what happens diplomatically. As for allies, try raising relations with Sweden. Once you're big enough and they're free of Denmark they were friendly every time for me. You don't have to start in Britain but it's the safest place for a non-Christian to be in Europe once you get a navy and England is the single biggest roadblock to getting the achievement so destroying them from the inside at the start makes sense.

Just make sure to watch your AE in the peace deal for what countries might coalition you by hovering the mouse over the AE part on the negotiations window since you'll have less leeway than if you were Christian. I accidentally took too much of England at once and got most of western Europe in a coalition war against me that I only won because the Burgundian succession fired and ~30k of the enemy that were besieging London went up in smoke.

The English and Scottish both had better generals but it didn't matter. This is how your early battles will go with all your military bonuses:

The end, although I could've gotten it probably 100 years sooner if I went after Sweden earlier but I waited. They were knocked over by a gentle breeze so I felt pretty dumb for waiting. Canada is free because Greenland counts as Scandinavia but is also in the Canadian CN region so you'll have to release them and take it if you colonize.

I think something may be wrong with cultural unions when becoming an empire for custom nations. I should've gotten the British cultural union but Irish is still red for some reason.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 9, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really wish you could toggle custom nations to primarily use female rulers instead. You can set the current ruler and heir but after that it's only going to be guys, and with governments without heirs you don't even get more than the first ruler. Having Amazon Amazons in the Amazons would be fun. Please? :)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You can change that in defines.lua. Can even make it exclusively women if you want.

in other news the leaderboard finally updated. I was frozen in 115th place for like a week and I think I should have screenshotted that 'cause looking at the scores now there is no way I'll get there ever again :geno:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Poil posted:

I really wish you could toggle custom nations to primarily use female rulers instead. You can set the current ruler and heir but after that it's only going to be guys, and with governments without heirs you don't even get more than the first ruler. Having Amazon Amazons in the Amazons would be fun. Please? :)
The last time I set my ruler and heir to female, I got primarily (but not exclusively) female rulers over the course of the game. Possibly a coincidence.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Trujillo posted:

I think something may be wrong with cultural unions when becoming an empire for custom nations. I should've gotten the British cultural union but Irish is still red for some reason.
...Irish is under Celtic.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

...Irish is under Celtic.

Didn't even know that was a group. I assumed British meant like the British isles...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yet Another Hotfix:

quote:

- Rewrote monarch leader code in a fashion that should prevent any further crashes from this.
- Fixed crash when selecting a second save game in start menu.
- Fixed getting double AE when feeding vassals provinces in peace deals.
- Fixed triggers for province group/superregion (for real this time)
- Random New World provinces will now always have a native type (lacking this prevented them from having native uprisings)
- Fixed: Local iromman saves weren't being backed up
- Fixed CTD for NULL controller area in GetEffectiveDistance.
- Fixed: Explorers stopped exploring and unable to use them
- Fixed CTD when AI adds estates in a country that can't have them.
- Blocked adding provinces to estates of country that don't exist in country.

Bunch of fixes and what seems like a fairly nice fix/change to getting estates in newly conquered provinces.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Dibujante posted:

The last time I set my ruler and heir to female, I got primarily (but not exclusively) female rulers over the course of the game. Possibly a coincidence.
I could have sworn this is a deliberate feature Wiz commented on at one point but I might be crazy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm having a weird issue where I'm playing as a custom theocracy and I keep losing and regaining the merchant guild estates. Suddenly they disappear from the estate tabs and just as suddenly they are back and whining about being disloyal again. Then they go away again. It's a bit strange.

Koramei posted:

You can change that in defines.lua. Can even make it exclusively women if you want.
Cool. Time to start tinkering and seeing what happens. Will the effects take place right away or do I need to restart? The first ruler hasn't died yet.

quote:

ALL_FEMALE_MALE_CHANCE = 0, -- Chance for males if starting ruler and heir were both female.
ALL_MALE_MALE_CHANCE = 100, -- Chance for females if starting ruler and heir were both male.
Um, how the heck does this work? Does this mean it is already going to give me only female rulers? These are the default values by the way.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Trujillo posted:

Didn't even know that was a group. I assumed British meant like the British isles...

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Culture#List_of_culture_groups

Commit it all to memory and then realize that a lot of culture groups are too small to make the union matter.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Poil posted:

Um, how the heck does this work? Does this mean it is already going to give me only female rulers? These are the default values by the way.

If you start with both male ruler/heir you will only get males. If you start with both female ruler/heir you will get only females.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

If you start with both male ruler/heir you will only get males. If you start with both female ruler/heir you will get only females.
That's... exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

edit
It might do something with the small custom nation I dropped over the Iberian owned islands too since I might have left the gender settings the same when making it. A small three island Ibadi pirate nation works really nicely there in my opinion. :3:

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 9, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Did you guys ever wanna see all the old world adviser portraits clumped next to each other? No? Well here it is anyway

Interesting that for the cossack advisers they tried to keep a color scheme in common with the default ones, I hope they'll keep doing that in future.

Funky Valentine posted:

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Culture#List_of_culture_groups

Commit it all to memory and then realize that a lot of culture groups are too small to make the union matter.

Miao cultural union 4ever

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I am kind of disappointed in myself that I know what each of these advisers does from their pictures alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Deltasquid posted:

I have most of Ireland + Scotland with a Scottish OPM march for some extra troops. Allied to recently independent Sweden, buttering up France for the inevitable showdown against the English.

Ended up taking exploration and then quantity. I'm a bit in a financial pickly, though. Gotta juggle the estates while trying to stay above 1 ducat/month so I can get my colonies up and running.

Quantity is probably not gonna help you as your second idea unless you have a really good monarch. You're just gonna be poor forever until you can get some colonies up and running (but England will get stronger as well) or you can take some land from them and start projecting trade power into the Channel.

• Locked thread