Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Josh I agree with you and your passion but maybe not in threads specifically for other shows

Jerusalem posted:

The UFO showing up was incredible, topped only by Peggy's line to Ed dismissing it as irrelevant :allears:

I don't think there's gonna be a better line on TV this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

You let me be...inside you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxxupation posted:

You let me be...inside you

You ever watch The Shield?

"He made you........ SUUUUUCCCKKKKK!?!?!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

:psyduck:

Also: a black man making a deal at the crossroads? Milligan better watch his rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do wonder how Milligan is affected now. The surviving Kitchen Brother will still want revenge on Hanzee, but Milligan has effectively "won" as the Gerhardts are gone now, leaving a vacuum for Kansas City to fill. So he's achieved his goal, but will he just settle in to run things? Get called back or replaced? Help the Kitchen Brother to take out Hanzee (he did help him kill the Undertaker after all)?

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Why the aliens dripping? Fake dumb poo poo. Makes no sense.

The dropping water was cool, it made it feel like a real object hanging in the air. Also, probably a reference to Blood Simple.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Escobarbarian posted:

Josh I agree with you and your passion but maybe not in threads specifically for other shows

Two words: bad pussy

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Why the aliens dripping? Fake dumb poo poo. Makes no sense.

I know this is a joke but that bit was cool as hell. Showed that they just zoomed the gently caress over from somewhere where there was a ton of moisture in the atmosphere.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I do wonder how Milligan is affected now. The surviving Kitchen Brother will still want revenge on Hanzee, but Milligan has effectively "won" as the Gerhardts are gone now, leaving a vacuum for Kansas City to fill. So he's achieved his goal, but will he just settle in to run things? Get called back or replaced? Help the Kitchen Brother to take out Hanzee (he did help him kill the Undertaker after all)?

Kitchen Bro don't strike me as a revenge seeker unless either he's told to do it or the opportunity just happens to present itself. That dude's a loving soldier to the core.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

a cop posted:

I know this is a joke but that bit was cool as hell. Showed that they just zoomed the gently caress over from somewhere where there was a ton of moisture in the atmosphere.

It immediately drew to mind the dry spot from where Hanzee stole the car, but that might just be a weird leap in logic.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Thank you for this. Such a good song.

This season has been one of the single best seasons of television I've seen in a very, very long time. I never know what's going to happen, and I LIKE that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ave Azaria posted:

The dropping water was cool, it made it feel like a real object hanging in the air. Also, probably a reference to Blood Simple.

Felt more like a Fire in the Sky reference.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
close encounters of the third kind came out in 1977, UFOs were a major thing back then

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This episode and this season have been fantastic and I didn't mind Martin Freeman the narrator. The gun battle was amazing and so gripping that I actually missed Peggy's "It's just a UFO" line, but I don't care what Noah Hawley and the spirit of the Coens thought, the shootout would've been perfect without the dumbass UFO showing up. It just seemed like a totally unnecessary gimmick.

This show still rules.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

This episode and this season have been fantastic and I didn't mind Martin Freeman the narrator. The gun battle was amazing and so gripping that I actually missed Peggy's "It's just a UFO" line, but I don't care what Noah Hawley and the spirit of the Coens thought, the shootout would've been perfect without the dumbass UFO showing up. It just seemed like a totally unnecessary gimmick.

This show still rules.

the UFO poo poo wasn't unnecessary, it totally fit with with the americana of the time period

also hanzi got hit with pocket sand lmao

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

he dumbass UFO showing up. It just seemed like a totally unnecessary gimmick.

This show still rules.

Please keep your opinions to yourself and don't ruing this great tv for the rest of us

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the UFO poo poo wasn't unnecessary, it totally fit with with the americana of the time period

also hanzi got hit with pocket sand lmao

99% certain especially given the apparently disfigured face in the preview that it was hot water they made real quick with the coffee maker in the room.

Clever kids.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

TraderStav posted:

99% certain especially given the apparently disfigured face in the preview that it was hot water they made real quick with the coffee maker in the room.

Clever kids.

That's what I thought when I saw it. I think Peggy was toying with the coffee maker after Fargo cop told she and Ed to separate, which might've been some very subtle foreshadowing.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

TraderStav posted:

Clever kids.

Oh, good. I was wondering when the hell this pocket sand happened and was bummed that I missed it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TraderStav posted:

Clever kids.

It wasn't made quick, it was water that was heating up for tea. Peggy asked the cop if he wanted any tea when she was over by the coffee maker.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CBJSprague24 posted:

That's what I thought when I saw it. I think Peggy was toying with the coffee maker after Fargo cop told she and Ed to separate, which might've been some very subtle foreshadowing.

Yeah how I thought that scene was going to go was that Peggy was gonna convince Ed to jump the detective and escape out the back just as Mike Milligan and the Gerhardts arrive.

Then the UFO thing happened and I dunno. It was real cool when Hanzi knifed Momma Gerhardt though, that poo poo was personal.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Doltos posted:

It was real cool when Hanzi knifed Momma Gerhardt though

No it wasn't. :smith:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Clever kids.

oh poo poo! from the coffee maker!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SmokaDustbowl posted:

oh poo poo! from the coffee maker!
Goons are so bad at watching tv

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

CBJSprague24 posted:

dumbass UFO showing up.

I felt that way at first, but the more I considered what the show was doing, the more I actually came to like it. A lot.

Remember that this is the only episode that is framed this way - with a blatant storybook narration. But the whole show has always been framed as a "true story" when of course it is absurd. The show is about quirky characters who navigate through a world that is at once both familiar and magical. Magical in the sense of Alice in Wonderland or the Wizard of Oz - dangerous and unexpected characters will greet you at every turn.

In it all, there is an undercurrent of violence, a sharp reminder that the magic comes at a price. This is the environment in which we find ourselves at the end of this episode, in a scene so violent, so senseless, so tragic that it beggars even the belief of those who are used to the magical world. Well, this world still has a few things up its sleeve.

That's how we remember our personal stories, isn't it? You don't know exactly why everything happened how it did. You can't explain what happened that one night, why everything lined up the way it did. If it was long ago, it becomes a legend, a high tale, the kind of stories people make myths about. It all ends up sounding like a storybook.

And there we are. Fargo, the TV show, and here, for one episode, for a moment, let us show you Fargo, the legend.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I figured there'd be a pretty absurd plot contrivance to get Ed and Peggy out of trouble yet again. No idea it would be a UFO zooming in at just the perfect moment to allow them to get away. I guess it wasn't literally god in the machine though, so that's one thing going for it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Hanzee decided to betray them after he got UFO'd and lost all that time

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Surprised no one has complained about Lou's magical detective powers yet.

One of my favourite little touches of the show is the old school bags of Old Dutch seen in stores.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ruddiger posted:

Felt more like a Fire in the Sky reference.

I took it as an Alien reference. When Ripley blows the alien out the airlock, and then blasts it when it climbs into the engine, there's a long shot of the bright white engine dripping moisture towards the camera. Alien came out in 1979 as well, the same year Fargo Season 2 is set in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-mmbStFrAA&t=80s

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
A lot of these references we're throwing around seem on the one hand as though everyone is really reaching and on the other as though they are exactly the references Hawley had in mind when he was filming.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I took it as an Alien reference. When Ripley blows the alien out the airlock, and then blasts it when it climbs into the engine, there's a long shot of the bright white engine dripping moisture towards the camera. Alien came out in 1979 as well, the same year Fargo Season 2 is set in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-mmbStFrAA&t=80s

Maybe it's just a reference to sci-fi in the mid-to-late 1970's. In the 1950's and 60's spaceships were sleek and featureless, then came Star Wars, Close Encounters, and Alien where the ships are more mechanical with lights and moving parts.

I took the dripping as an effort to give the UFO weight and mass and show how it was affected by weather. Water drips off everything in the cold North via melting or condensation. If it had rocketed down from the stratosphere, the temperature change could have resulted in all that water.

I was talking with someone else and they wondered whether the people the spaceship trained its spotlights on implied anything. I know one was on Lou and Bear and I think another light was tracking Peg and Ed, but I can't remember for certain now. Wasn't one of the lights on a dead Gerhart? If so it probably means nothing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

King Vidiot posted:

It wasn't made quick, it was water that was heating up for tea. Peggy asked the cop if he wanted any tea when she was over by the coffee maker.

Am I mis-remembering or did they switch rooms? For some reason I thought they were a few down and jumped to the corner room. Cop said it's clear and they ran out. Hanzee came shortly.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

I was talking with someone else and they wondered whether the people the spaceship trained its spotlights on implied anything. I know one was on Lou and Bear and I think another light was tracking Peg and Ed, but I can't remember for certain now. Wasn't one of the lights on a dead Gerhart? If so it probably means nothing.

Yes, one light was on a couple of corpses.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I thought the ship was gonna start tractor-beaming them up, but Lou killing bear by firing an upside-down gun with his pinky is probably the cooler outcome.

Guess all that cat's cradling Lou did really helped with his dexterity

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Jehde posted:

One of my favourite little touches of the show is the old school bags of Old Dutch seen in stores.

On the other hand how the hell is a gas station in the middle of South Dakota fully stocked with seasonal Leinenkugel?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Of everything, Milligan's line when he arrived at the scene was my favorite thing of all. Just "Okay, then."

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
watching the first episode again up to when Rye gets snockered by the Corvair was a very good idea.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Couple of Golden Globe nominations for Fargo:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/12/golden-globe-nominations-2016-list

Best Actor: Patrick Wilson
Best Actress: Kirsten Dunst
Best TV/Miniseries

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ehud posted:

Couple of Golden Globe nominations for Fargo:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/12/golden-globe-nominations-2016-list

Best Actor: Patrick Wilson
Best Actress: Kirsten Dunst
Best TV/Miniseries

That's cool, Cristin Milioti and Ted Danson definitely deserve supporting actor nominations though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Steve2911 posted:

That's cool, Cristin Milioti and Ted Danson definitely deserve supporting actor nominations though.

I'd say Bokeem Woodbine first with maybe Milioti behind him. Woodbine's character really stands out to me. I love what Milioti, Danson, Plemons, Jeffrey Donovan, and Angus Sampson are doing but their characters all seem to make up an amalgam of a great performance while Woodbine, Wilson, and Dunst really tie it up. They all stand out to me as the lead dogs in the three story arcs of cops, crime families, and Ed/Peggy.

• Locked thread