Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Robo Reagan posted:

logs which are a lot tougher than bones

Point of order. Our bones are made of metal (calcium) and stronger than steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jerkey for all attendees.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So does that mean a wood chipper can chomp through steel beams?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

I mean, if you're that curious google image search is a few clicks away

Yeah there's one of those incidents that was photgraphically documented fairly well. It's uh...pretty much what you'd expect.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

We have a 150 hp plastic granulator in our plant, it's kind of similar in principle to a tree shredder except it relies on gravity to feed the rotor rather than having the rollers that push the tree in. We like to say that "if it gets any of you, all of you's been got".

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

spacetoaster posted:

Pound for pound maybe. They're not nearly as dense as steel and weigh basically nothing compared to an equivalent volume. Also they're far more brittle and prone to shattering under shock loads. Same goes for wood, although obviously not as extreme as steel.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

So when you get sucked into a wood chipper, does it usually pull you the whole way through or does it just get your leg and then you bleed out?

Wood chippers typically have a hydraulic roller that drags wood in before it is chipped. Picture a big steel drum with 1/2" long teeth. Nothing comes backwards out of that. I guess if the opening was small enough it might rip a limb off and then you'd get free that way.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EKDS5k posted:

Pound for pound maybe. They're not nearly as dense as steel and weigh basically nothing compared to an equivalent volume. Also they're far more brittle and prone to shattering under shock loads. Same goes for wood, although obviously not as extreme as steel.

You can easily experiment with this by elbow striking a steel wall repeatedly and seeing what breaks first.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

EKDS5k posted:

They're also not made of calcium. Aside from the living cells, they're a collagen matrix supporting a structure of calcium and phosphorous salts. Calcium's a metal, but hydroxyapatite is definitely not. Even if they were made of pure calcium metal, calcium is nowhere near as strong by any measure as steel is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

They're also not made of calcium. Aside from the living cells, they're a collagen matrix supporting a structure of calcium and phosphorous salts. Calcium's a metal, but hydroxyapatite is definitely not. Even if they were made of pure calcium metal, calcium is nowhere near as strong by any measure as steel is.

With the exception of intelligent calcium, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBaVwwuErmU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EKDS5k posted:

Sure, yeah. But compared to a stick of wood I'd say fresh bone is a bit tougher.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

spacetoaster posted:

Sure, yeah. But compared to a stick of wood I'd say fresh bone is a bit tougher.

The fact that wood is stronger than bone is the entire reason early humans started making tools out of wood instead of bone. If you're talking purely about supporting a static load in the vertical position, then yes, bone has a lot going for it. In basically every other application it loses out to even low grade pine.

The fact is that the bones in your arm wouldn't slow down the blades in even a small wood chipper, never mind the bigger units.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Can jet fuel melt through bones?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

spacetoaster posted:

This is like saying a pillar of salt is made of metal (sodium). Metal-containing compounds are not the same as metals or metal alloys.

Also, even if your bones were made of iron, they're essentially hollow (foamy) inside. If you've ever seen a metal foam, imagine something like that. Stiff, but nothing like a solid bar.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The word "tough" has a specific meaning when discussing materials properties. It has to do with the ability to absorb pressure applied to it by flexing without breaking. Bones are very hard but they're brittle, much more brittle than wood.

The blades and teeth and wheels in a wood chipper are made of hardened, tempered carbon steel, which is both tougher than wood and harder than bone, by a lot.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

spacetoaster posted:

You're thinking of words, not wood.

Remember: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

If wood and bone isnt tough how do chippers get jammed in the first place.

Checkmate nerds.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Probably because there is one bone that is stronger than diamond (the crotch bone.)

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
the boner

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Mozi posted:

Probably because there is one bone that is stronger than diamond (the crotch bone.)

Do not stick your dick in a wood chipper. Even if you're holding the stop bar.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

JB50 posted:

If wood and bone isnt tough how do chippers get jammed in the first place.

Checkmate nerds.

Usually the jams are from the steel-toed boot

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

jetz0r posted:

Do not stick your dick in a wood chipper. Even if you're holding the stop bar.

"The Stop Bar" is what I call my dick.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

spog posted:

You're thinking of words, not wood.

Remember: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me

Unless those words are "dude the chipper's jammed give it a kick will you?"

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm gonna drop a loving building on your woodchipper

http://i.imgur.com/wBD1CAi.gifv

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
At least the worker is observing proper PPE of a bandana tied over the mouth

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Phanatic posted:

"The Stop Bar" is what I call my dick.

Seeing it makes women stop and re-evaluate their life choices?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Code Jockey posted:

Seeing it makes women stop and re-evaluate their life choices?

And its use is accompanied by screaming and visits from emergency services

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq-qngvz9N0

MAN I love chemistry!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
"This might explode."

*drops entire chunk of lithium into glass of water on his computer desk*

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

GotLag posted:

"This might explode."

and wraps his loving hand around it

like dude did you not see that scene in armageddon?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

and wraps his loving hand around it

like dude did you not see that scene in armageddon?

Maybe he wanted to gain superpowers

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Robo Reagan posted:

So does that mean a wood chipper can chomp through steel beams?
Only if you put jet fuel in the tank first.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EKDS5k posted:

The fact that wood is stronger than bone is the entire reason early humans started making tools out of wood instead of bone. If you're talking purely about supporting a static load in the vertical position, then yes, bone has a lot going for it. In basically every other application it loses out to even low grade pine.

The fact is that the bones in your arm wouldn't slow down the blades in even a small wood chipper, never mind the bigger units.

I'm going to start spamming "The fact that" whenever I speak to people about anything. :colbert:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

How can you be smart enough to know that it's reactive and dumb enough to do...well, that.

I wonder what his hospital bills were like.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It probably wasn't as bad as it appears. Lithium in water doesn't really "explode", it just burns quickly and brightly. The glass probably shattered from the heat, not from a detonation.

I'm guessing some lacerations from the glass and second-degree burns on his hands but no missing fingats. Maybe minor chemical burns too if he didn't deal properly with the lithium hydroxide he was producing.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Grey Fox posted:

I'm gonna drop a loving building on your woodchipper

http://i.imgur.com/wBD1CAi.gifv

Anyone know what a safety zone is? :wtc:

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

monkeytennis posted:

India?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

It was like a mini 9/11 reenactment.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GotLag posted:

"This might explode."

A little research into alkali metals first might have helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uixxJtJPVXk

Edit: Where can I get a big chunk of caesium?

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Say Nothing posted:

Edit: Where can I get a big chunk of caesium?

Chernobyl?

• Locked thread