Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Whenever I shoot at BBs I try to aim so that I'll hit open deck or the smokestacks. Open deck plunging fire will usually penetrate and smashing the smoke stacks will gently caress up the engine.

I've also noticed the Omaha's guns will pierce the smoke stacks on a BB and help do some damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I usually aim for the mid-ship turrets if the ship has them, reasoning that magazine hits are good.

Not that I've ever been sure if you can get something like magazine criticals. Is that sort of thing what happens when one of your shots returns a big, bolded 200 instead of a modest 60-70 (or whatever)? I figured that was just penetrating shots vs partial penetrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You can definitely get magazine criticals that instantly kill a boat. I know I torpedoed a guy amidships once and hit his fuel supply, destroying it, which blew his boat up instantly.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015
Just an FYI, People from "6th Reich" fleet will TK you on sight. Apparently they have something against Goons. Did we pwn them in fleet battle or something?

Meat_Grinder fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 9, 2015

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Meat_Grinder posted:

Just an FYI, People from "6th Reich fleet" will TK you on sight. Apparently they have something against Goons. Did we pwn them in fleet battle or something?

Well, they'll probably be blue so we can just sink them as soon as the match starts without consequence right?

E: Also can we change the name? We should be Boatse.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Meat_Grinder posted:

Just an FYI, People from "6th Reich fleet" will TK you on sight. Apparently they have something against Goons. Did we pwn them in fleet battle or something?

We beat a Nazi-themed fleet in fleet battles yesterday. That might be the one.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

Artless Meat posted:

Well, they'll probably be blue so we can just sink them as soon as the match starts without consequence right?

No idea how this works. All of them are blue, yes. It looks like T2 throwaway accounts though. They mowed down my sub with a South Carolina and a Farragut, but their T3 didn't do a thing and was not blue.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
thank you fat mouse for helping out with the applications

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Japanese destroyers are great.

I unlocked the tier 5 one, cashed in the escalator prize for getting a t5 and fully upgraded it with the global XP :)

It's a little slower than the t4 but packs a lot more wallop without becoming huge and unwieldy. The torps especially are magical: 930+ damage and a range of 4km... those juicy BBs sitting out there thinking 'haw haw, he can't reach me from here. No need to move yet' are getting a very unpleasant wake up call.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Artless Meat posted:

Nope, that's WoT thinking right there but it doesn't work here. I sunk some blue guy who was shelling another ship at the start of a match - it immediately turned me blue and told me what a bad person I was.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Japanese destroyers are great.

Yes, yes they are.

Why are there so many drat games to play right now. Between Grimest of Dawns, Helldivers, and this I don't know where to spent my gaming hours :ohdear:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Shooting a blue player should count like hitting an enemy ship. Someone start a petition.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh I finally see the advantage of gold torpedos.

500m more range and about 7 more knts speed.

Well...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I dunno, unless you have a dumpster fire of money to pull some gold out, I think a second smoke would be far more usefull. An extra 500m won't matter against people who you'd want to gold torp and the knt speed increase is nice, but will be rough going back and forth between silver and gold imo. Are there gold payouts like WOT?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh I finally see the advantage of gold torpedos.

500m more range and about 7 more knts speed.

Well...

the arming distance is quite a bit shorter, but that is all

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015
Had a match where half of the enemy team was shooting at the other half. We obliterated them.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

According to chat, Dark Judge is cheating.

Who knows.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

Who knows.
The top X always "cheats" in pvp games.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Panzeh posted:

We beat a Nazi-themed fleet in fleet battles yesterday. That might be the one.

Nah, those were the Kriegsmarine.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Completely owned an enemy Dark Judge CV. Three of his fighters against one of mine? No problem :smug:

MVP? Easy.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Applied ingame as VivaElMacho. hopefully this game is not like navyfield.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Who knows.

Apparently they do the Chinese clan thing where they will throw a game and then farm their own clanmates for xp. But that isn't really cheating.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Michaellaneous posted:

Completely owned an enemy Dark Judge CV. Three of his fighters against one of mine? No problem :smug:

MVP? Easy.

I fought one of their Tier 4 CV's earlier in a Tier 3 CV and was equally piss easy, despite him having more planes than me and higher ability. Seems that is their weakness.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

dark judges accept anyone into their group and have something like 140 members.

They have 10 or 15 good players.

goons think that every person with a dark judge tag is one of their good players

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You know it's not their poopsock team when you see ships other than fubuki, Wyoming, or independence.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

dark judges accept anyone into their group and have something like 140 members.

They have 10 or 15 good players.

goons think that every person with a dark judge tag is one of their good players

I never said that I just wanted to say that I shot down 3 planes with only one of mine which had like a tiny bit health left.
Micro OP.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just witnessed the best game-ender ever. It cannot be topped. Our Independence, out of planes, charged and rammed to death the enemy carrier to finish the game and win. It was beautiful.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Meat_Grinder posted:

Just an FYI, People from "6th Reich" fleet will TK you on sight. Apparently they have something against Goons. Did we pwn them in fleet battle or something?

Sorry, we were kinda drunk.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The buddy I play with rolled a +500m spotting range commander and stuck him on his rangefinder boosted Mahan. Now he plays that and I play a BB and we just dunk all over our foes without them seeing us back.

He got MVP of a game for spotting damage and fighting off a single Fubuki and sub alone.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Was it this guy?

Everyone gets him for owning a Tier V destroyer. If its not him, who is? Cause it'd be neat to have two of these bastards.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It was, but he rolled him randomly in his tutorial merit pack when he got his first merit points for 15 wins.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Do commander skills stack? Some of their skills have the same name, like "Enhanced Engine", and I need to know if I can pile a bunch of those guys on my Fubuki and have it go 43 knots.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jesus christ I think the Fubuki is my dream boat.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Jesus christ I think the Fubuki is my dream boat.

Koenigsberg all the way.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

quote:

Primary new content
1. New British ships
2. New commanders
3. New paintsss
4. New 5V5 game mode
5. New large size maps

After 1 bad run in my first Nip CA I've found that sweet spot and just wreck teams with it.

Just sit about 2km away from your guys and shell things they find. I like skirting the edges of the map for this which usually leaves their carrier wide open to just get ruined. A few extra torps for those stationary BB's. So satisfying to just rail the other teams ships.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Yeah the patch was a bit of a surprise, logged on steam to have my usual lunch time game and nope it patching the first British ships in, guess I will be working through my usual lunch time and playing later :)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

:siren: British Ships are in. DDs and CVs are now. More later. :siren:

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Checking the British DDs noticed right away that they have the best sonars, best turning and get 4x1 DC launchers at t2. Interesting note too is that the t3 DD guns have precision ranging from 128 to 120, compared to the other countires 100.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

British DD stats updated on the sperg sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SQL1myq-BMaIm1Vlkvxu-8klDObCN9PGznUTtpWipTA/edit#gid=211758376

basically they are better at turning, tend to be smaller, and have better depth charges. The tier 9 has 11 depth charges. lol

Sonar is also good

they are the worst scout and tend to have lovely horse power but tend to be much smaller later on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Do the Brits get Hedgehog anti-submarine projectors later on? That would be sweet and would get me to tech down the british DD line just for that.

• Locked thread