Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No if it's Microsoft you'd get a nice "click here for help with this error!" *click* "no information available."

The modern MS error message is "Something Happened." Which is just beautiful because it conveys even less information than "Problem."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Che Delilas posted:

The modern MS error message is "Something Happened." Which is just beautiful because it conveys even less information than "Problem."

Something happened! That's great! Was it a good thing? A bad thing? Just A thing? No idea boss! Take it to geek Squad!

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Roargasm posted:

To be fair it is massively clunky, but they did a kick rear end job standardizing around that clunkiness. Once it clicks you can absolutely fly with PS, but if I thought it didn't have staying power I never would have learned it

They'd rather drop a mil+ on management tools to do the poo poo a simple powershell script would do.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
What I hate about Powershell is how much loving typing/syntactic sugar there is. Remove-windowsFeature for instance could as easily have been rvrole or rvsvrrole

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sfwarlock posted:

What I hate about Powershell is how much loving typing/syntactic sugar there is. Remove-windowsFeature for instance could as easily have been rvrole or rvsvrrole

Make an alias.

I like that Powershell defaults to making things as easily readable as possible.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sfwarlock posted:

The descriptive cmdlet names are actually what I like MOST about powershell. There's no ambiguity as to what it is you're doing. And you can tab-complete most of them if you're working in powershell itself.

A lot of the common ones have shorthand, and you can create your own, too, if you really hate typing that much.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

sfwarlock posted:

The goal when making powershell was for it to be very human readable. Enough that someone with no scripting background could reasonably figure out what something did. Not that they'd be able to write it but it does make it easier for more people to learn. You can start remote powershell sessions so there's no reason not to use a ton of aliases if you are using it on the fly. But the good part about powershell is scripts you leave and give to other people. That being readable is the important part.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

sfwarlock posted:

You know there's tab-completion, right? And that it's a lot easier to read Remove-WindowsFeature than rvrole?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Pissing me off: The guy who runs our TokuMX nodes broke the OpsWork automation and then went on vacation until January 4th. I'm sitting here doing manual deploys until this environment finishes and probably the same all day tomorrow.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If the time it takes to type in your commands/scripts is significant, even with PowerShell's long/verbose names, you need to work on your typing technique.

I've been working on a few internal tools in PS recently, and definitely appreciate the verbose verb-noun commands. It makes it simpler to write understandable code, and I feel it also helps my own design considerations.

I also find it highly preferable to the ancient Unix tradition of installing tools with exceedingly generic names into /usr/bin, such as "convert" or "testparm". (From respectively ImageMagick and Samba. First does all kinds of image file filtering, latter sanity checks one particular configuration.)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jeoh posted:

You know there's tab-completion, right? And that it's a lot easier to read Remove-WindowsFeature than rvrole?

I was in an interview the other day, and the guy asked me my favorite linux feature. My number one answer was tab completion. He look at me puzzled, and I was "WUT M8?"

I just got of another phone interview with Amazon, during it the contracting job I spoke to yesterday called me to schedule an in person. I'm super exciting. At this point, though, I need to find a new job, I've taken too many "doctors appointments" , my old job is going to fire me.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

porktree posted:

I lost a 2tb db because the SAN that had redo was not on a UPS, Oracle 8i. At the time we only did level 0 backups on Monday mornings - it took 20 some hours to apply archive logs to recover to 1 minute before the outage.

You are in archivelogmode right?

This isn't Oracle DB, it's progress/OpenEdge. Along with how our head dev (before she quit and tried to take source code with her) programmed entries into tables it has created a lot of giant time gaps where we are sitting watching a program try and recover blocks. Had to resolve open transactions at the time of crash, try and fix the database, when failing that restore from backup. Nightmare.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Che Delilas posted:

This is the OneDrive equivalent

They went to the trouble of having half a dozen different images (so the flat tyre could be a crashed paper dart or whatever), but couldn't be assed to come up with some proper error messages.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dissss posted:

This is the OneDrive equivalent

They went to the trouble of having half a dozen different images (so the flat tyre could be a crashed paper dart or whatever), but couldn't be assed to come up with some proper error messages.

You mean a proper error message so that you can still do nothing about it when it persists?

They're making this appear a little more friendly for end users, it's not particularly surprising.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the mental gymnastics at Microsoft that allowed hex error codes instead of human readable ones like "can't resolve address" or whatever to be displayed to end users.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 9, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Your poo poo crashed for reasons that we actually know enough about to accurately report. That, or it's something unforeseen and this system isn't intelligent enough to identify the nuance of the issue."

^ I don't think they need to report what exactly went down to the common endpoint user.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Simpleboo posted:

This isn't Oracle DB, it's progress/OpenEdge. Along with how our head dev (before she quit and tried to take source code with her) programmed entries into tables it has created a lot of giant time gaps where we are sitting watching a program try and recover blocks. Had to resolve open transactions at the time of crash, try and fix the database, when failing that restore from backup. Nightmare.

Oh, I'd though you were waiting on Oracle support so I assumed it was an Oracle DB. It sounds nightmarish.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Ynglaur posted:

Database logging. :colbert:

So we finally found out what was causing it - runaway vCenter Inventory Service logging. But here's the damnedest thing: until you clicked on the specific folder (which was nested 4-5 layers deep) you will never know the size of that folder within the properties of the parent folder. Once you clicked on that folder you got some UAC warning that you didn't have access and would you like to go ahead and open it, and if you clicked yes you were added to the ACL for that folder. There were like 50GB of log files, and the total size of the VMware parent folder was something like 81GB total. Prior to clicking on it the parent folder only showed 3GB.

We put in a ticket with VMware on how to get rid of the logs in such a way that it doesn't destroy our vCenter installation and their first line support told us to create a new VM and install vCenter on it. I sent back an email that he should be fired for being a loving idiot. The ticket was escalated, and an engineer called my co-worker to go over the exact problem. They're still working on it and don't have a solution yet.

Our EMC storage rep read the email chain as well because my co-worker thought I was being a little too harsh, and his response was "No, Daylen's actually right - the idiot should be fired. That's like someone buying a new car, and when it runs out of gas the mechanic tells him the only solution is to buy a new car."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There's an art to good error messages. The goal of an error is to let the user know that something unexpected happened.

The question of how much info you show really comes down to your lowest common denominator. If your error is going to be seen by techy people, you can get away with hex codes and error numbers and such.

If it's grandma, you say "oops something went wrong try again later".

If you're expecting something in the middle, you go somewhere in the middle. I work on a product that's targeted at small business IT folks. Our general philosophy is to state what went wrong and give the user a place to start in resolving it.

For example: "The disk was full. Please choose another location or free some space."

Sometimes we get more complicated failure states. For those, we typically link a KB article.

"The upload failed because the system was rebooted. You cannot resume the upload. Please start a new upload, and refer to <link>this knowledgebase article<link> for more information."

And we have a few rare cases where it would be too difficult to pass the concept along in a short error message. Or there's no easy fix, or no known cause. For example, maybe one of our processes crashed. We don't expect users to diagnose a process crash. So we throw "A serious error has occurred. Please contact support."

We're constantly getting feedback from users and our support staff to improve errors. It's iterative, but it works, and we get a low-level general approval from everyone involved on our error reporting. There's always someone who is unhappy, but most people appreciate the path we've chosen.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I was in an interview the other day, and the guy asked me my favorite linux feature. My number one answer was tab completion. He look at me puzzled, and I was "WUT M8?"
If you want to be annoyingly technical it's a feature of your shell, not of linux itself. You could run bash on windows if you wanted to. :v:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Volmarias posted:

You mean a proper error message so that you can still do nothing about it when it persists?

They're making this appear a little more friendly for end users, it's not particularly surprising.

At least tell me if I have some chance of grabbing the file I need on a different device - with that 'Error code: 6' it's about 50-50

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No if it's Microsoft you'd get a nice "click here for help with this error!" *click* "no information available."

If it was Microsoft it'd be "AN UNKNOWN ERROR OCCURED BUT WE WILL GIVE YOU AN ERROR CODE ANYWAY GOOD LUCK FIGURING IT OUT" before taking a poo poo on your work.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

No its

1. Error occured, code #J78SNDQ9
2. Google error code
3. Click link to MSDN article result
4. Get redirected to MSDN homepage
5. Repeat 2-4 about 5 times
6. Find unanswered support.microsoft.com article in broken english asking how to fix, then give up

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Or you'll get a code like 'Error 0x80070643' which meant something completely different on Windows 7

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

I just got of another phone interview with Amazon, during it the contracting job I spoke to yesterday called me to schedule an in person. I'm super exciting. At this point, though, I need to find a new job, I've taken too many "doctors appointments" , my old job is going to fire me.

Good luck! Where is the position and for what role?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My coworkers have taken an awful lot of intermittent asymptomatic sick days in the four weeks I've been at this job. In fact I think I'm the only one that's been here the entire time consistently. I dont think I'm the only one jobhunting...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
One of the great features about Windows 10 is there's a bunch of more info links that just go to Bing searches for "control panel" or some other needlessly generic thing

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Agrikk posted:

Good luck! Where is the position and for what role?

System Administrator/Engineer II at an Amazon subsidiary. Looks like they want someone that can help with network/windows/linux and can sort of team lead and mentor new techs.

I can definitely do that, but man, I'm not sure how I feel about giving up a 100% RHEL position for 33% Windows. I think the raise may be enough to cover it, though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's an Amazon subsidiary, or are you just a contractor for Amazon?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tab8715 posted:

What's an Amazon subsidiary, or are you just a contractor for Amazon?

It's a company that Amazon owns. I'd apparently be an Amazon employee with all the perks/cons that offers, but work at a company with

COMPANY NAME
an Amazon Company

As it's front sign.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zappos?

Either way, having the switch gears between Linux and Windows is pretty tough. When it comes to career as a tech deep knowledge is worth so much more than a 100-200 level.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I have a conundrum: The software ("i-cens") that our security people use to view/access video streams from our security cameras is complete poo poo. The PC that it's currently running on is on it's last legs and needs to be replaced. I figured 'hey, I'll just install this crap on another PC and we'll be good to go'. Nope, the software will install, but when it connects to our lovely chinese dvrs (made by some company called Eyemax), the streams just show up as black squares. The streams are working perfectly fine when viewed through a browser, but that aint good enough for the security staff, they dont want to learn anything new and the browser window doesnt let them view enough cameras at once. The funny thing is, when using i-cens, you can look at past recordings and they show up perfectly normal, the problem only happens with the live streams. I've installed the software on 3 different PCs, all with the same result. I've contacted Eyemax and they pointed me to a fix (copy a provided .ini file to c:\windows, overwriting their existing one) but it doesnt fix poo poo.

So, as a result of this lovely software I have been tasked with either making the existing software/DVR work or pricing another solution to replace these lovely DVRs. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about cameras/DVRs and their associated software (I'm a Windows/network admin). I've been given no budget, so that doesnt help. I've started looking at IP cams and some of the solutions that Ubiquiti offers since I'm familiar with their wifi APs, but since I dont know the first thing about this stuff, I'm not really sure where to start.
Can anybody offer up some recommendations or some advice about this stuff? We've currently got about 25 cameras and we definitely need to have recording capability.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Raerlynn posted:

No. They're Windows sysadmins who insist on not using powershell. I cannot wrap my head around it.

This is every windows admin I have ever met. They laugh at me and all my typing as a linux admin.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

This is every windows admin I have ever met. They laugh at me and all my typing as a linux admin.

The more I do in powershell, the less time it takes me to do things. It has gotten to the point where more than half of my working hours are spent doing whatever I feel like because I do very few things manually. My boss comes from the school of thought where he does everything manually so he always assumes I am super busy. I put on this appearance I am super busy.

New user and email creation? Powershell. Active directory object auditing? Powershell. Windows patching and reboots? Powershell. New server creation and configuration? Powershell. The loving ancient rightfax server loving up? Powershell.

The fraud has gotten so bad that when when I am tasked to created a bunch of new servers, I will volunteer to "work from home all night" to stand up virtual servers, while the truth is that I have it automated all the way down to the last steps of the DHCP reservations and the emails that lets the team know the hostname and reserved IP. This allows me to basically take the next day off while I "work from home".

The beauty of powershell compared to something like vbscript is that so little actually breaks compared to tasks I use to do in vbscript years ago. This might just be due to the small scope of the tasks I automate, but jesus, its embarrassing how stable windows can be when you are doing everything from powershell.

My boss thinks I just like to get stuff done.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sickening posted:

The more I do in powershell, the less time it takes me to do things. It has gotten to the point where more than half of my working hours are spent doing whatever I feel like because I do very few things manually. My boss comes from the school of thought where he does everything manually so he always assumes I am super busy. I put on this appearance I am super busy.

New user and email creation? Powershell. Active directory object auditing? Powershell. Windows patching and reboots? Powershell. New server creation and configuration? Powershell. The loving ancient rightfax server loving up? Powershell.

The fraud has gotten so bad that when when I am tasked to created a bunch of new servers, I will volunteer to "work from home all night" to stand up virtual servers, while the truth is that I have it automated all the way down to the last steps of the DHCP reservations and the emails that lets the team know the hostname and reserved IP. This allows me to basically take the next day off while I "work from home".

The beauty of powershell compared to something like vbscript is that so little actually breaks compared to tasks I use to do in vbscript years ago. This might just be due to the small scope of the tasks I automate, but jesus, its embarrassing how stable windows can be when you are doing everything from powershell.

My boss thinks I just like to get stuff done.

So what you are telling me is the core of windows is solid, but the messy GUI gets in the way? There's so many layers of bullshit going on in windows it's amazing.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I'm only like 10 chapters into the powershell in a month of lunches book but god drat even knowing that little about it I can already see how incredibly powerful it is and can't wait to learn more.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pixaal posted:

So what you are telling me is the core of windows is solid, but the messy GUI gets in the way? There's so many layers of bullshit going on in windows it's amazing.

What the gently caress does this even mean?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean?
At least the second part is accurate.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Any Windows Sysadmin worth a poo poo is going to be pretty fluent in Powershell. It's practically mandatory for Exchange 2013, Lync, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Any Windows Sysadmin worth a poo poo is going to be pretty fluent in Powershell. It's practically mandatory for Exchange 2013, Lync, etc.

Those are the realms of the Exchange Admin, or the Lync Admin. Windows admin runs the system(meaning OS and sometimes hardware).

Or you can work for a small company, I suppose.