Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

I think I previously saw your stuff in the WIP thread? Looks awesome and that simple head & sword swap on the chaplain is ace.

Yeah /tg/ is a a good place to show test ideas and progress, they can be harsh/irrational like much of what's on the chan but more often than not a lot of great painters will comment and give advice. Love trolling the wip threads for ideas and motivation.

SRM, I have a tonne of legion shoulders/heads/chests arriving soon, will paint em up and mix them in the next 20 marines for sure!

Killer_Bees! fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

ObSec isn't a thing, while the troops can score other units by it can prevent you claiming the objective until they move or get murdered.

Do all units deny by default or must they score in order to deny? I don't have any of my books with me so I can't rules lawyer this up on my own.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I think unless a model specifically says it can never score or deny (like things with the Swarm special rule) it's a denial unit, while a unit must be a Troop in order to score in the first place.

That said, in 30K it's made a bit easier by things like Legion Terminators (and pretty much all legion-specific terminator units that go in the Elite slot) having a special rule that makes them scoring as long as you're in a mission where Troops can score.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
whoever is doing the battlescribe for mechanicum needs to step it up, still nothing from the red book in there. I like making lists at work and I havnt memorized all the points yet.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 9, 2015

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Predators seem like a nice value play. Very low points at 75 a pop, but can be made expensive pretty quickly with sponsons, etc. What's a good loadout for a wolf pack of triple preds?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DeadGame posted:

Predators seem like a nice value play. Very low points at 75 a pop, but can be made expensive pretty quickly with sponsons, etc. What's a good loadout for a wolf pack of triple preds?

I imagine like in 40k they're great to keep on the cheaper side. I'd do autolas and give them lascannon sponsons and autocannon turrets and just have them hunt tanks.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

DeadGame posted:

autocannon HB is not a bad setup, 30k preds have 4 shots on their cannon so you just hurl a lot of dice at stuff.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I really like Iron Warriors because they're the legion I've always played, but Sons of Horus are also pretty neat and it's not painting metal. Decisions are hard.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DeadGame posted:

There are lots of viable builds! I'm a big fan of them in 30K due to how cheap they are (they got a sponson decrease in LACAL ontop of it). Las autocannon is one of the cheapest way to get lascannons into your army. Conversion beamers and machine spirit for snipeing things. Plasma and HB or Lascannon for killing 2++ especially when paired with command tank interceptors. Melta and flamers work as well, especially for legions that can outflank a squadron. Just do your best to keep each tank less than about 140 points and you're in good shape.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Strike Captain Alvarex Maun 140
Primus Medicae: artificer armour; power weapon; jump pack 130

14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 250
9 Tactical Support Marines: volkite chargers; + 1 Tactical Support Sergeant 225
Drop Pod 35
14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 250

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon
Contemptor Dreadnought: dreadnought close combat weapon (graviton gun); dreadnought close combat weapon (graviton gun) 205
Dreadnought Drop Pod 65

8 Dark Furies: + 1 Chooser of the Slain 295
Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter: twin-linked autocannon; 2× 2 kraken penetrator heavy missiles; battle servitor control; ground-tracking auguries; ramjet diffraction grid 250

Fire Raptor Gunship 200

Corvus Corax: Rite of War (Decapitation Strike) 450

2.495 points

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Strike Captain Alvarex Maun 140
Primus Medicae: artificer armour; power weapon; jump pack 130

9 Tactical Support Marines: volkite chargers; + 1 Tactical Support Sergeant 225
Drop Pod 35

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon
Contemptor Dreadnought: dreadnought close combat weapon (graviton gun); dreadnought close combat weapon (graviton gun) 205
Dreadnought Drop Pod 65

8 Dark Furies: + 1 Chooser of the Slain 295
Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter: twin-linked autocannon; 2× 2 kraken penetrator heavy missiles; battle servitor control; ground-tracking auguries; ramjet diffraction grid 250

Fire Raptor Gunship 200

Corvus Corax: Rite of War (Decapitation Strike) 450

2.495 points

poo poo is scary, but you're going to have a bad time if there's augury scanners on the other side.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
So i love the world eaters paint scheme but I hate there fluff and models, can I just paint alpha legion as world eaters and have done with it?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

by.a.teammate posted:

So i love the world eaters paint scheme but I hate there fluff and models, can I just paint alpha legion as world eaters and have done with it?

Alpha legion pretending to be other legions is pretty much Canon. Also anyone who kicks up a fuss about that sort of thing wouln't be fun to play with anyway.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
For those lightning strike fighters- the wording on the mounts is really confusing. You get two twin linked autocannon and not one because they are dual mounts. Hence why they cost so many points.

They worded the avenger the same way, but recently clarified it in the Admech red book which sets precedence as well.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Speaking of things not fun to play against, how can Mechanicum deal with flyers outside of bringing their own? I had to improvise yesterday by having my Myrmidons chip away at my opponent's Fire Raptor and Storm Eagle, with the former spending the game gleefully harassing my poor Thallax, though part of that was my opponent "Forgetting" that jinking reduces you to snap shots, every turn.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

my opponent "Forgetting" that jinking reduces you to snap shots, every turn.

People need to remember the ABCs of warhammer:

Always
Be
Cheating

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Speaking of things not fun to play against, how can Mechanicum deal with flyers outside of bringing their own? I had to improvise yesterday by having my Myrmidons chip away at my opponent's Fire Raptor and Storm Eagle, with the former spending the game gleefully harassing my poor Thallax, though part of that was my opponent "Forgetting" that jinking reduces you to snap shots, every turn.

No flyers of your own?

Tarantula turrets with Hyperios missiles, optionally the command platform. That's in the neighborhood of 150-160 points for 3 and command? These will definitely piss off flyers.
Barring that, Icaran Thallax but that's expensive and, I think, not possible for all the mechanicum factions (Reductor, Cybernetica, Taghmata). Djinn-Sight is nice vs jinking though.
Barring THAT, twin-linked whatever and pray to the emperor that your opponent stops loving cheating flip the table and ram your thanatar down his throat until he chokes

alternatively do that:

panascope posted:

Always
Be
Cheating

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 9, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

by.a.teammate posted:

I intend to play my ravenguard as alpha legion aswell. Probably, who knows, maybe. Also, how the hell do I make a good-looking landspeeder.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

I intend to play my ravenguard as alpha legion aswell. Probably, who knows, maybe. Also, how the hell do I make a good-looking landspeeder.

by buying javelins or a bar of deodorant

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

by buying javelins or a bar of deodorant

Javelins cant get gravguns.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Javelins cant get gravguns.

Better start shopping for deodorant then

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

Better start shopping for deodorant then

No ham knows how to do that, who are you kidding

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

No ham knows how to do that, who are you kidding

Shhh, people need to be eased into the concept.

e. vvvv I have the Lupercal and Sons of Horus green paints. They work perfectly fine with a brush. They thin well and have good pigment density, unlike the Vallejo reds that make me want to die.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 9, 2015

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
How do the Forgeworld air paints work using brushes? Are they that much thinner than normal paint? A friend was able to pick me up some but I don't have easy access to an airbrush so if I can make normal infantry with them that would be awesome. I can go to a friend's now and then for vehicles when needed and use an airbrush then.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Deptfordx posted:

Alpha legion pretending to be other legions is pretty much Canon. Also anyone who kicks up a fuss about that sort of thing wouln't be fun to play with anyway.

Now would I buy Alpha legion models and paint them World Eaters? Buy any model I want, say there Alpha legion and paint them World Eaters? Am I right in thinking Alpha legion can have any troop from any legion, pre or post heresy?

I really like blue/white colour scheme.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

by.a.teammate posted:

Now would I buy Alpha legion models and paint them World Eaters? Buy any model I want, say there Alpha legion and paint them World Eaters? Am I right in thinking Alpha legion can have any troop from any legion, pre or post heresy?

Pretty much. The simplest way is use AL rules, AL models, paint them WE colors.
Take it a step further, and look where you can use WE models to proxy certain elements of the AL. For example, you could have fun with giving AL power daggers a WE-ish look.

You can't, on the other hand, pick the WE unique units and run them (as in use their real rules) in your AL army. At least not without allies or one very specific situation (their rite of war, Coils of the Hydra), but you don't want to get into that yet.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

No flyers of your own?

Tarantula turrets with Hyperios missiles, optionally the command platform. That's in the neighborhood of 150-160 points for 3 and command? These will definitely piss off flyers.
Barring that, Icaran Thallax but that's expensive and, I think, not possible for all the mechanicum factions (Reductor, Cybernetica, Taghmata). Djinn-Sight is nice vs jinking though.
Barring THAT, twin-linked whatever and pray to the emperor that your opponent stops loving cheating flip the table and ram your thanatar down his throat until he chokes

alternatively do that:

I wish the Hyperios was more than one shot. The problem with Icarian thallax other than short range is they get moved to the heavy support slot, which if you are non cybernetica is probably packed (at least for me it is, when I can start playing ordo Reductor again the 4th slot is getting the build a tank) taking one of the AA fortifications might not be a bad idea.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 9, 2015

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

by.a.teammate posted:

Alpha legion are masters of disguise

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

For those lightning strike fighters- the wording on the mounts is really confusing. You get two twin linked autocannon and not one because they are dual mounts. Hence why they cost so many points.

They worded the avenger the same way, but recently clarified it in the Admech red book which sets precedence as well.

I don't think so because of the wording on the missiles, for a dual hard point you get two missiles, so autocannons end up with one on each side forming one twin linked weapon. Plus the model itself, just expensive (and dumb) is all. Why can't they add lascannons then?

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 9, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah its definitely up to how your group wants to interpret it. It's like what happened with Laser Destroyers 48" range and Sunder Shells for Thudd Guns. We get a new book (Admech) where a unit with the exact same wording gets updated bringing the other one into question. TLDR- FWs legendary editing team.

Lascannons aren't an option and you still only get two bombs/missiles. Makes sense as it would make it a bit OP if you got four krakens for 25 points :pcgaming:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 9, 2015

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah its definitely up to how your group wants to interpret it. It's like what happened with Laser Destroyers 48" range and Sunder Shells for Thudd Guns. We get a new book (Admech) where a unit with the exact same wording gets updated bringing the other one into question. TLDR- FWs legendary editing team.

Lascannons aren't an option and you still only get two bombs/missiles. Makes sense as it would make it a bit OP if you got four krakens for 25 points :pcgaming:

Aren't you supposed to be on vacation enjoying yourself? Quit making effort posts about hams you nerd

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm tempted to get a lightning, 4 krakens, strafing run, and tank Hunter make it 210 points, but what ever its shooting at is probably going to explode. (Lascannons was just a wish)

Also, when the hell did forgeworlds tracking start actually working?

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 10, 2015

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
So here's an attempt at a list that uses the models I have, minutes the gunship I'd need to get, focused around the models from Calth. I would likely take Infiltrate as my Alpha Legion option. The contemptors would probably support the tactical squads, depending on deployment. The raptor is CAS and might draw attention away from the predator pack.

+++ Budget Legion (1997pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1997pts) ++

+ HQ (242pts) +

Legion Centurion (85pts) [Power Armour]
····Consul (35pts) [Vigilator (35pts)]

Legion Praetor (157pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon (35pts), Chainfist (15pts), Combi-Weapon (7pts), Master of the Legion]

+ Troops (475pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (235pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines (140pts), Legion Vexilla (10pts)]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant (25pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Power Dagger (5pts), Power Weapon (10pts)]

Legion Tactical Squad (240pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines (140pts), Legion Vexilla (10pts)]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant (30pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Power Dagger (5pts), Power Fist (15pts)]

+ Elites (695pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (100pts)
····Legion Apothecary (50pts) [Venom Spheres (5pts)]
····Legion Apothecary (50pts) [Venom Spheres (5pts)]

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (380pts)
····Legion Contemptor Dreadnought (205pts) [Plasma Blaster (20pts), Twin-linked Volkite Culverin (10pts)]
····Legion Contemptor Dreadnought (175pts) [Multi-Melta]

Legion Terminator Squad (215pts) [Banestrike Bolter Shells (20pts), Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 4x Legion Terminators (120pts), Plasma Blaster (15pts)]
····Legion Terminator Sergeant (5pts) [Power Dagger (5pts)]

+ Heavy Support (585pts) +

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship (210pts) [Reaper Autocannon battery (10pts)]

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (375pts)
····Legion Predator Tank (125pts) [Auxiliary Drive (10pts), Lascannons (40pts)]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XX: Alpha Legion]

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah Lightnings and Krakens are the bane of spartans, provided you get on the table

Hixson posted:

Aren't you supposed to be on vacation enjoying yourself? Quit making effort posts about hams you nerd

Says the dude who's supposed to be on vacation too- which one of us loves giant muscular dudes more?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
So this is out already? Sorry I didn't wade through the thread but are there any decently priced starter sets? Like, space marines I guess.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Moose-Alini posted:

So this is out already? Sorry I didn't wade through the thread but are there any decently priced starter sets? Like, space marines I guess.

The Betrayal at Calth box set. It's a board game with 30 marines, 5 terminators, a couple HQ dudes, and a dread.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Awesome thanks. That's a price even I can afford!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Moose-Alini posted:

Awesome thanks. That's a price even I can afford!

If you need the army list rules, get the red "Legiones Astartes" book from forge world. It also has an affordable price. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/The-Horus-Heresy-Legiones-Astartes-Crusade-Army-List)

Legion specific special rules are in another book that is currently sold out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeadGame posted:

If you need the army list rules, get the red "Legiones Astartes" book from forge world. It also has an affordable price. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/The-Horus-Heresy-Legiones-Astartes-Crusade-Army-List)

Also note that some legions don't have rules or units yet. If you want to play Dark Angels, Blood Angels, White Scars, Space Wolves, or Thousand Sons you still have to wait for full rules and whatnot.

There's also a few non-Marine armies that are designed for the 30k environment: the Mechanicum, Solar Auxilia, and Imperial Militia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DeadGame posted:

Wait until February before you buy any book.