Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wargames posted:

the other option I could afford was a i3-4030u for 20 bucks more with 4gigs of ram compared to the 8 i have now.

i3 with half the RAM was likely a better bet, unfortunately. Overall build quality with the rest of the laptop matters much more, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Jago posted:

This is a discussion you have BEFORE you purchase a laptop.

User Title/Post Combo.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Twerk from Home posted:

i3 with half the RAM was likely a better bet, unfortunately. Overall build quality with the rest of the laptop matters much more, though.

my desktop not too long was strangled by 4 gigs of ram, and the i3-4030u looking it up because info all things intel is easy, the cpu is super poo poo.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GrizzlyCow posted:

It's a Carrizo-L, a continuation of the Puma+, processor. It's better than Intel's Atom-based poo poo in terms of performance. On the downside, it has twice the TDP. Notebookcheck did a little review of it. I wouldn't recommend it if you can get an ULV i-core notebook or tablet instead.
carrizo-l is actually configurable to 15w tdp, and every oem does that. you could unclamp it to the full 35w but you don't get a whole lot more out of doing so.

even at the 15w lock the performance in most things is comparable to an i3-u and is 33% cheaper per unit than the i3

intel's not always an unambiguous choice at the low end.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

carrizo-l is actually configurable to 15w tdp, and every oem does that. you could unclamp it to the full 35w but you don't get a whole lot more out of doing so.

even at the 15w lock the performance in most things is comparable to an i3-u and is 33% cheaper per unit than the i3

intel's not always an unambiguous choice at the low end.

Carrizo-L can only go up to 25W. It's the Excavator based Carrizo that goes up 35W.

My recommendation was based on the review I posted. The Broadwell-based ULV i3 and i5 trounced the A8 in just about every scenario, and the laptop the i3 came in matched the price of the Carrizo-L. I might've been a little hasty, but the Carrizo-L only looks like a good deal if you can't get your hands on a ULV or faster Intel.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2457025

how is it that many people don't understand what the tapeout process means

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That thread is just one giant Intel circle jerk like a lot of them are.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

imagine a room, full of fishmechs

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

imagine a room, full of fishmechs

fishmech was... right? :negative:

friends don't let friends buy AMD anymore, the Athlon Tbird/XP/64/x2 glory days are over

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 9, 2015

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Even the twilight days of the Phenom II are long gone.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

wargames posted:

my desktop not too long was strangled by 4 gigs of ram, and the i3-4030u looking it up because info all things intel is easy, the cpu is super poo poo.

Guess what that says about your current CPU then :v:

Also 4gb of extra laptop ram isn't that pricy.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah, that thread made me want to :bang:.

It wasn't just the misunderstanding of tapeouts either - they flat out took the quotes out of context and attributed the server schedule to desktop.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

blowfish posted:

Guess what that says about your current CPU then :v:

Also 4gb of extra laptop ram isn't that pricy.

I got a pair of 8 GB SODIMMS for $95 total, two years ago. Nowadays it's down to like $35 per 8 GB stick. DDR3 is dirt loving cheap right now.

One catch, some laptops have the memory soldered right to the motherboard to :airquote: "save the size and cost of a socket" :airquote: force you to pay their ripoff rates.

Having a W510 workstation laptop with 4 sockets owns though, I run 20 GB of RAM and I think I can go up to 32 GB. Browser tabs for days :circlefap:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 10, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's like they've never heard of stacked SODIMM slots. =|a

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 10, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Is there a reason Desktop never adopted SO-DIMM? Couldn't you do vertical SO-DIMM and double the space for RAM on a board, or is there a limitation I'm not thinking of?

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 10, 2015

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FaustianQ posted:

Is there a reason Desktop never adopted SO-DIMM Couldn't you do vertical SO-DIMM and double the space for RAM on a board, or is there a limitation I'm not thinking of?

I thought it was always cheaper and faster to come out to fit a new capacity of RAM on full size sticksversus SO-DIMM size? The SO-DIMM always catches up in capacity of course.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Some do - you see it in NUCs and some mITX computers. My AM1 system uses desktop memory but many of the Intel boards like J1800 use horizontal SODIMMs instead.

I have a mITX Asrock Z87 board that uses vertically-placed SODIMMs. It's actually kind of a problem, because you need to use a low-profile CPU cooler (I use a CNPS8900) but they also tend to be wider, and it ends up being impossible to add or remove one of the memory modules while the cooler is installed.

SODIMMs are usually slower too, although that's probably not a physical limitation. Both DDR3-1066 and -1333 motherboards are very common, while desktop it's usually at least 1600 unless you deliberately go looking for something oddball.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 10, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Every desktop PC in my office is a USDT HP between 1 and 5 years old and they all use SODIMMs

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Some do - you see it in NUCs and some mITX computers. My AM1 system uses desktop memory but many of the Intel boards like J1800 use horizontal SODIMMs instead.

I have a mITX Asrock Z87 board that uses vertically-placed SODIMMs. It's actually kind of a problem, because you need to use a low-profile CPU cooler (I use a CNPS8900) but they also tend to be wider, and it ends up being impossible to add or remove one of the memory modules while the cooler is installed.

SODIMMs are usually slower too, although that's probably not a physical limitation. Both DDR3-1066 and -1333 motherboards are very common, while desktop it's usually at least 1600 unless you deliberately go looking for something oddball.

mITX is where I could see SO-DIMM having a lot of application in increasing potential maximum memory but sounds like it's bothersome. However, I don't see an ASRock Z87 mITX board with SO-DIMMs, unless you mean the integrated systems, and the cooler on those doesn't seem to interfere much. What aftermarket collers are they compatible with, 775, or 1156+?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

mITX is where I could see SO-DIMM having a lot of application in increasing potential maximum memory but sounds like it's bothersome. However, I don't see an ASRock Z87 mITX board with SO-DIMMs, unless you mean the integrated systems, and the cooler on those doesn't seem to interfere much. What aftermarket collers are they compatible with, 775, or 1156+?

This motherboard:

Plus this cooler:

It's a bad layout, you can very obviously see how close the memory is to the CPU (literally right next to the cooler bolts). There's only about 90mm of vertical clearance so that's about the biggest cooler you can get in there. Also the default fan layout is really bad (neighboring fans are set to intake and exhaust and don't ventilate properly) so you need to take it all the way apart and flip them around. Also all the fans are 70mm, so unless you mod it you can't liquid cool anything. It does fit a fullsize GPU though.

Looks nice though, like a red version of the OG XBox. BMW may not have much experience with the mechanics of computer cases but they do know industrial design. It's a barebones-only model, impulse-bought it for $200 on Newegg clearance a while back. Nowadays I'd recommend a Raven RZV01 instead especially if you have any interest in liquid cooling.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 10, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Paul MaudDib posted:

One catch, some laptops have the memory soldered right to the motherboard to :airquote: "save the size and cost of a socket" :airquote: force you to pay their ripoff rates.

*cough*Apple*cough*

I know they're not the only one but this is a big reason I won't ever get a Mac. iMacs with limited (or no) upgrade options, MacBooks with memory/SSDs integrated into the mainboard, and other bullshit like that. I'll take a regular laptop I can swap a drive out of, or upgrade memory, or hell, take apart without needing special tools or worrying about breaking the cheap chassis.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nowadays I'd recommend a Raven RZV01 instead especially if you have any interest in liquid cooling.

How goes that project, by the way? I remember you asking about parts in the GPU thread.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

How goes that project, by the way? I remember you asking about parts in the GPU thread.

I don't know how his went, but it's a cramped as hell case, getting the PSU in can be a really fun adventure depending on tools available to you.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

FaustianQ posted:

I don't know how his went, but it's a cramped as hell case, getting the PSU in can be a really fun adventure depending on tools available to you.

Eh, I have a ML07 (the more attractive looking HTPC version of the RVZ01 / FTZ01), and It's not that bad if you use a normal SFX PSU. I certainly didn't have to make use of any unusual tools beyond a screwdriver to install the ST45SF-G.

Admittedly my frame of reference for a SFX / mITX build is the FT03 Mini, quite possibly the most attractive but least build-friendly case I've ever seen, so my perspective may be skewed.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

GokieKS posted:

Eh, I have a ML07 (the more attractive looking HTPC version of the RVZ01 / FTZ01), and It's not that bad if you use a normal SFX PSU. I certainly didn't have to make use of any unusual tools beyond a screwdriver to install the ST45SF-G.

Admittedly my frame of reference for a SFX / mITX build is the FT03 Mini, quite possibly the most attractive but least build-friendly case I've ever seen, so my perspective may be skewed.

My issue was the screwdrivers I was using at the time (a friends) were this thick dumb things that made it impossible to get to the screws around the PSU properly due to the tight space. Also, and this one was on me and not an issue with the case, I ended up placing the PSU in a weird way the first time and had the fun experience of taking it all apart again thanks to being an idiot, as the PSU cables ended up being unnecessarily compressed and difficult to work with. Still ended up being in the way most of the time.

Also the FTZ01S is the superior version :colbert:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

Bitch, I have a machine shop at my disposal. :haw:

More seriously, I think that liquid cooling it got a lot easier, since Corsair finally came out with their low-profile AIO that they showed off at.... I want to say Computex earlier this year? http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h5-sf-low-profile-liquid-cpu-cooler

FTZ01's max cooler height is 83mm, Corsair H5 is 84mm, but I *believe* my research showed that the FTZ01's measurement assumes you still want to put a standard 120mm fan in that mount above the CPU, which you wouldn't with the H5. You'd probably either leave it open, close it off for noise, or slap a 12mm fan in there. I probably have a thin Scythe Kaze around here somewhere...

Even if it wasn't, I'm sure I could shave off half a millimeter in a couple places on the H5 to make it fit.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 10, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

SODIMMs are usually slower too, although that's probably not a physical limitation

It's easier to cool through a larger surface area, so there's that.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

FaustianQ posted:

My issue was the screwdrivers I was using at the time (a friends) were this thick dumb things that made it impossible to get to the screws around the PSU properly due to the tight space. Also, and this one was on me and not an issue with the case, I ended up placing the PSU in a weird way the first time and had the fun experience of taking it all apart again thanks to being an idiot, as the PSU cables ended up being unnecessarily compressed and difficult to work with. Still ended up being in the way most of the time.

Realizing you screwed up and having to take it all apart is a rite of passage for dealing with weird / innovative Silverstone cases. Ask me how many times I had to do it when building the FT03 Mini the first time...

And actually you're right about the FTZ01... but it was the last of the trio to be released. At the time I bought the ML07 to turn my old Hackintosh parts into a HTPC, it had just come out, and the FTZ01 wouldn't be released for several more months. At least it's way more attractive than the RVZ01!

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 10, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FaustianQ posted:

Can you get the ML07 / FTZ01 with a handle? The major reason I'm looking at the ML-08 is that handle, and the lack of case fans sounds appealing given that the case doesn't really have any internal air mass.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

GokieKS posted:

Realizing you screwed up and having to take it all apart is a rite of passage for dealing with weird / innovative Silverstone cases. Ask me how many times I had to do it when building the FT03 Mini the first time...

And actually you're right about the FTZ01... but it was the last of the trio to be released. At the time I bought the ML07 to turn my old Hackintosh parts into a HTPC, it had just come out, and the FTZ01 wouldn't be released for several more months. At least it's way more attractive than the RVZ01!

I'm not quite sure how they thought the RVZ01 could pass aesthetic muster, it's stepped shell is hideous and they should have gone for just smooth curves.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
That's just kind of the aesthetic the Raven series goes for. In every case they've made that had both a Raven version and another (usually Fortress) version, I think the RV has been far and away the uglier one: RV02 vs. FT02, RV04 vs. FT04, RVZ01 vs. FTZ01 / ML07. But they must sell well enough that they keep making it, so...

The RVX01 actually seem OK (it's just very angular instead of the weird slats that the RVZ01 and RV04 has), but I'd still wait for a Fortress version if I wanted that size/layout.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 10, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

I'm not quite sure how they thought the RVZ01 could pass aesthetic muster, it's stepped shell is hideous and they should have gone for just smooth curves.

Agreed on the smooth curves but it basically looks like a black Xbox 360 so what's the big deal?

GokieKS posted:

The RVX01 actually seem OK (it's just very angular instead of the weird slats that the RVZ01 and RV04 has), but I'd still wait for a Fortress version if I wanted that size/layout.
I actually find that way more hideous than the RVZ01. Glossy black hasn't been cool in a decade either, poo poo's a fingerprint magnet.

The RVZ01 is the least hideous out of all the variants Raven offers, IMO. Again, it just looks like a black XBox so whatever. The ML07 is perfectly fine looking too, if you're looking for something that looks like a cable box instead.

The one I'm waiting for is the DAN A4-SFX. That's literally the smallest you can physically make a mITX case and the airflow looks pretty fantastic considering (assuming you put it on its side, or cable-side down on a stand monolith style).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 11, 2015

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Paul MaudDib posted:

The one I'm waiting for is the DAN A4-SFX. That's literally the smallest you can physically make a mITX case and the airflow looks pretty fantastic considering (assuming you put it on its side, or cable-side down on a stand monolith style).

drat! :swoon:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Man, I understand why it has to be that way, but I really don't like the length of that riser cable. It had better as all hell be shielded, because that's just asking for interference.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ozz81 posted:

*cough*Apple*cough*

I know they're not the only one but this is a big reason I won't ever get a Mac. iMacs with limited (or no) upgrade options, MacBooks with memory/SSDs integrated into the mainboard, and other bullshit like that. I'll take a regular laptop I can swap a drive out of, or upgrade memory, or hell, take apart without needing special tools or worrying about breaking the cheap chassis.

That's why I loving love business-class workstations. If I want to swap out my useless optical drive for a second SATA disk, I can do that. Expresscard? Yeah, sure. 4x8 GB sticks of memory? Why not? My Quadro 880M isn't fantastic but it plays TF2 and stuff (no FO4 though :sigh:), it lets me do CUDA development, and it's better than most iGPUs until recently. I paid like $480 for it refurb'd two years ago, and it's taken the hellish abuse I deal out ever since. I need to unlearn the habit of picking it up by the top of the opened lid, or my next laptop's gonna have issues.

I'd love a Macbook Air but yeah I have concerns about upgrading it, since that's really important for keeping a system functional past the 3-year mark. Lenovo and Dell have both being doing shady poo poo with malware too, so I'm not sure what the game is when I need to upgrade.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have the case, a motherboard (Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI), and 16 GB of memory sitting around here, along with an assortment of SSDs. I need a decent PSU, a processor, and a cooler, basically. Microcenter is clearancing 4790Ks at $250, thinking seriously about getting one of those and a gold PSU in the 450-600W range after the holiday spending spree.

For starters I'd move my 780 Ti over to it, grab a low-profile cooler, and air cool everything. I think you'd need a slim 240mm radiator and there aren't many AIOs that are slim.

GokieKS posted:

By the way, RVZ01 people, what you mean here is that SFX-L is pretty long for this case, right? "Doesn't fit" long, or just "makes it an uncomfortable build" long?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Man, I understand why it has to be that way, but I really don't like the length of that riser cable. It had better as all hell be shielded, because that's just asking for interference.

They are using 3M's riser cable which is apparently the gold standard. Anything less absolutely is asking for trouble.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh good, I missed that. The one in da pritty pictoors looks like an unshielded one.

(To be clear, I have zero problems with the actual use of a riser cable, people have done benchmarks, and the results have more or less come back within margin of error.)

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Paul MaudDib posted:

By the way, RVZ01 people, what you mean here is that SFX-L is pretty long for this case, right? "Doesn't fit" long, or just "makes it an uncomfortable build" long?

Silverstone lists the SFX-L SX500-LG as a recommended component for the FTZ01, so it should fit fine, especially if you go for the flat cable kit that Silverstone sells.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Today, in self-explanatory URLs:

http://techreport.com/news/29478/report-samsung-may-begin-producing-chips-for-amd-in-2016

Normally, I'd be reading this from the original source, but a) I do not speaka the moon runes, 2) I don't know how reputable etnews is, and iii) I'm not sure I believe it. So I'm preparing to throw TechReport under the bus if it's wrong. =P

But, it at least has a grain of truth to it... working on Samsung's FinFET process means that Samsung could port production over to their own wholly-owned fabs, and a quick transition to 10nm, which the source article says that Samsung is ramping for 2017.

I'll re-iterate what I said before: For a company that's allegedly going bankrupt at the end of 2016, man, they sure aren't acting like it.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
The etnews article is in English.

• Locked thread