Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I am going to read it and City on Fire back to back after Christmas.

It will be a total of 1600 pages between two books.

Pray for Mel.

I also realized Fates and Furies might actually be book of the year based on critical praise as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Probably read City on Fire second, as there is quite a bit of plot and excitement, and the other one seems, from that review, to be a lot slower.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The new Vollman book is supposed to be cool and it's also almost 1400 pages long if you want a lot of pages.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A human heart posted:

The new Vollman book is supposed to be cool and it's also almost 1400 pages long if you want a lot of pages.

I wanted to get that but it costs $55 at my local bookstore

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

so whats his SA username

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i liked europe central and rainbow stories, I don't really get why people hate him so much

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm about to finish A Visit From the Goon Squad, it's good. Should I read Europe Central next? I have never read Vollman and have wanted to for a long time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

I'm about to finish A Visit From the Goon Squad, it's good. Should I read Europe Central next? I have never read Vollman and have wanted to for a long time.

From what I have heard Europe Central is an amazing 400 page book in 800 pages

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Its a series of somewhat-related stories some of which are the length of a novella and there are quite a lot of them. Some are better than others. They are about a number of different historical figures, a mix of artists and military leaders, but several of them are about Dmitri Shostakovich and those are very good. The one about Paulus was pretty good too.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Its a series of somewhat-related stories some of which are the length of a novella and there are quite a lot of them. Some are better than others. They are about a number of different historical figures, a mix of artists and military leaders, but several of them are about Dmitri Shostakovich and those are very good. The one about Paulus was pretty good too.

Ugh that sounds unappealing. I prefer novels to be cohesive works in which most everything is connected and has a central plot or two. Visit From the Goon Squad is really disconnected (so far), but it's short enough that I don't mind. For 800 pages, I think I would struggle to finish.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am seriously considering dedicating next year to giant loving books I have never read.

So far I got

Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson
Gravity's Rainbow
Parallel Stories by Peter Nadas
The Luminaries by Elizabeth Catton
A little life by Hanya Yanigahara
City on Fire by Garth Hallberg
The Neapolitan series by Elena Ferrante
The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer
The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing
Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami

Might as well toss Europe Central on there as well

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

blue squares posted:

Ugh that sounds unappealing. I prefer novels to be cohesive works in which most everything is connected and has a central plot or two.

Well everything is connected through the war itself, and it focuses on Shostakovich more than anyone else, but includes a number of other figures. It's certainly cohesive. The problem with it is more that some of the other stories are kind of boring and needlessly long.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Ugh that sounds unappealing. I prefer novels to be cohesive works in which most everything is connected and has a central plot or two. Visit From the Goon Squad is really disconnected (so far), but it's short enough that I don't mind. For 800 pages, I think I would struggle to finish.

I really liked Visit from the Goon Squad but I also thought it had the most obnoxious ending I have read in a long time

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I got put off Jennifer Egan by Look At Me which I thought was really quite crap aside from some moments of lucidity. How do the two compare?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am seriously considering dedicating next year to giant loving books I have never read.

So far I got

Gravity's Rainbow

Have you read any Gaddis? You could throw the Recognitions or JR on there and say goodbye to a month.
I'm going to read Women and Men by Joseph McElroy next year because my girlfriend can get it from her university library. City on Fire as well but that's easier to find.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

J_RBG posted:

I got put off Jennifer Egan by Look At Me which I thought was really quite crap aside from some moments of lucidity. How do the two compare?

I've only read the first half of Goon Squad, but it's great. Funny, very distinct voices for each of the characters, and it jumps around a LOT from character to character and decade to decade, which is working a lot better than that might sound. It's a quick read, and very sympathetic to all of its characters, even the ones that at first you find yourself really disliking; you then might jump to their POV twenty years earlier and get a whole new perspective on them. The writing itself is great, too, although much simpler than the last book I read, City on Fire, in which every other sentence has this grand, weighty feel of a proclamation that could end up in a list of quotes somewhere.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BTW, if anyone is looking from shorter crisper reads I read three recently that are really fantastic imho

In the Language of Miracles by Rajia Hassib
All the Followed by Gabriel Urza
The Turner House by Angela Flournoy

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So far I got

Gravity's Rainbow

You should chuck Miss Macintosh, My Darling on there.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I'm drinking turpentine à la Autumn of the Patriarch until I forget how to read, so I can rediscover the joy of reading afresh. Wish me luck. In the mean time, I am reading Kierkegaard.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

so whats his SA username

C'est moi

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

I'm drinking turpentine à la Autumn of the Patriarch until I forget how to read, so I can rediscover the joy of reading afresh. Wish me luck. In the mean time, I am reading Kierkegaard.

Kierkegaard is the official Tbb philosopher, and everyone loves him.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

Kierkegaard is the official Tbb philosopher, and everyone loves him.

I thought the official tbb philosopher was terry goodkind

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kierkegaard is a dork with a big boner for Abraham, the worst father of all time. He also thought the aesthetic life was doomed to lead to despair, which is just dumb. Karl Ove is the better K-gaard

blue squares fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 10, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So far I got

Gravity's Rainbow

The Recognitions and JR by Gaddis
The Tunnel by Gass
The Man Without Qualities by Musil
À la Recherche du Temps Perdu
Assuming you haven't ready any of those.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I just realized I should add doing Bible cover to cover in there as well

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've been doing that for like this entire year and I'm only just finishing up PSalms lol.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

blue squares posted:

I've only read the first half of Goon Squad, but it's great.

Cool, looks like I judged her on juvenilia. I'll give it a shot sometime.

blue squares posted:

Karl Ove is the better K-gaard

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu then again...

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

Kierkegaard is a dork with a big boner for Abraham, the worst father of all time. He also thought the aesthetic life was doomed to lead to despair, which is just dumb. Karl Ove is the better K-gaard

He thought all life was doomed to despair because he was cool and Abraham was also good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I did that when I was younger to prove some kind of arcane point to myself and it wasn't really worth it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I did that when I was younger to prove some kind of arcane point to myself and it wasn't really worth it

I feel like at least from a cultural standpoint I am gonna have to do it at some point.

The Koran was way easier, its like a quarter as long and better written imho

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like at least from a cultural standpoint I am gonna have to do it at some point.

Even so I'm not really sure reading it "cover to cover" is really necessary it would be better IMO to focus on some of the more culturally influential parts and read those as well as hermeneutics and relevant later history and criticism etc.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

it would be better IMO to focus on some of the more culturally influential parts and read those as well as hermeneutics and relevant later history and criticism etc.

I don't really much care about Christianity as a faith or social institution, I just kind of want to see an original source for Western cultural mythology

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Earwicker posted:

Even so I'm not really sure reading it "cover to cover" is really necessary it would be better IMO to focus on some of the more culturally influential parts and read those as well as hermeneutics and relevant later history and criticism etc.

As an idiot who's doing the thing you said, do this thing instead. Read the books of Moses in order probably then jump around the rest of the old testament and skip the ones that are LAST WEEK IN THE BIBLE then move onto the new testament. Then read Kierkegaard.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

. Then read Kierkegaard.

I once was roommates for a year with three philosophy majors.

Even hearing the name Kierkegaard gives me 'Nam flashbacks.

Once had to sit through a two hour Kant vs. Hegel fight.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I once was roommates for a year with three philosophy majors.

Even hearing the name Kierkegaard gives me 'Nam flashbacks.

Once had to sit through a two hour Kant vs. Hegel fight.

I initially thought this post was going to be a limerick.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I initially thought this post was going to be a limerick.

how about a haiku

Philosophers are
Worthless loving dilettantes
I hope they all die

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I finished Goon Squad and I take back most of the good things I said about that book. It was a fun ride, I guess, but I think Jennifer Egan had a hard deadline and just gave them what she had and moved on. So many interesting things are brought up and then just disappear. No closure. Felt like half a book.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

I finished Goon Squad and I take back most of the good things I said about that book. It was a fun ride, I guess, but I think Jennifer Egan had a hard deadline and just gave them what she had and moved on. So many interesting things are brought up and then just disappear. No closure. Felt like half a book.

Was that ending loving obnoxious or what

jesus

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Is that the one that has the powerpoint slides in the last chapter?

Second to last chapter. I actually thought that part was surprisingly well done.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Is that the one that has the powerpoint slides in the last chapter?