Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has a goofy film ever been ruined by having an extremely dark moment so horrific you can't think bear to rewatch? That superhero comedy Mystery Men has a scene where the heroes accidentally zap with the city's most popular Superhero with a death-ray. It turns him inside-out into a misshapen lump of petrified organs in an image that loving haunts me. Non-horror movies tend to be better at scaring me because they don't try to be scary, it happens by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has a goofy film ever been ruined by having an extremely dark moment so horrific you can't think bear to rewatch? That superhero comedy Mystery Men has a scene where the heroes accidentally zap with the city's most popular Superhero with a death-ray. It turns him inside-out into a misshapen lump of petrified organs in an image that loving haunts me. Non-horror movies tend to be better at scaring me because they don't try to be scary, it happens by accident.

I think Hank Azaria's reaction to that moment is what makes it watchable for me.

That and the late nineties mid-budget tier CGI.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I'll always hold a soft spot for that character, the movie is unquestionably a complete and utter train wreck, but Greg Kinnear is so perfectly cast and fun as a jaded, jackass, arrogant, corporate Batman.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I was watching Nightcrawler last night and as it went into the police interrogation scene I thought huh there's only two minutes left, how is he going to get his comeuppance for his many, many crimes and awful sociopath behavior in two minutes? He's walking out of the interrogation a free man, Is the guy whose brake lines he cut in act 2 going to beat him to death with a lead pipe in the last frame? Oh, no, he gets everything he wants and roll credits. Gross. I'm a man who likes his comeuppance.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Krinkle posted:

I was watching Nightcrawler last night and as it went into the police interrogation scene I thought huh there's only two minutes left, how is he going to get his comeuppance for his many, many crimes and awful sociopath behavior in two minutes? He's walking out of the interrogation a free man, Is the guy whose brake lines he cut in act 2 going to beat him to death with a lead pipe in the last frame? Oh, no, he gets everything he wants and roll credits. Gross. I'm a man who likes his comeuppance.

NO COMEUPPANCE, do you hear me? I think it's kind of the point of the movie, his actions actually made him perfect for the job that he wanted. And just because someone doesn't blow his head off doesn't mean the movie condones his behaviour.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Different strokes, I guess. That scene was the film's sole redeeming moment for me. It came out of loving nowhere--you were expecting the non-super goobers to prove their worth by saving the city's favorite superhero and show to everyone that they were grea NOPE WE KILLED HIM BY ACCIDENT. Gruesome as it was, I still laughed until I was blue in the face; it was so great.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Krinkle posted:

No comeuppance, just like the Masters of the Universe whose Wall Street corporate doublespeak he continues to emulate in a pathetic cargo-cult manner

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Large Marge still manages to surprise me every time.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Lemon posted:

I think it's kind of the point of the movie [Nightcrawler]
I can appreciate that, kind of. It's just...

I keep almost typing this, and deleting it, because I"m not sure what it's supposed to prove or what I'm trying to say, but that scene I mentioned was the literal last scene in the movie. And they put it in the middle of the trailers. So my expectations going in was that there would be some thematic symmetry, that all the things that led up to that scene would be balanced by an equal weight of consequences, when it was actually just the ending. I feel like I went down some stairs while carrying a wide box blocking my vision and fully believed there were more steps and whoops my legs went all noodley.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The part in LOTR where Bilbo turns into a goblin for a second when he reaches for the ring from Frodo in Rivendell is pretty nightmare fuel and doesn't fit the book's tone really.

Same with Galadriel in the 2nd film. I almost just fast-forward through those scenes because the whole time I'm just sitting there waiting for it to happen.

For some reason Peter Jackson's interpretation of "you are tempted by the ring" is "you turn into a cartoon villain demon for a minute" :v:

Although oddly enough they never did that to Boromir. Maybe he should have been the one carrying the ring all along!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Mystery Men is one of my all time favorite movies and this scene along with the team's attack on Casanova Frankenstein's limo is probably its crowning achievement. The bickering before, during and after the scene is pure genius to me.

"Everyone heard me say 'reset button', right"
"Oh my god. Oh my god we killed him."
"What do you mean we? I was over here."

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Zaphod42 posted:

The part in LOTR where Bilbo turns into a goblin for a second when he reaches for the ring from Frodo in Rivendell is pretty nightmare fuel and doesn't fit the book's tone really.

Same with Galadriel in the 2nd film. I almost just fast-forward through those scenes because the whole time I'm just sitting there waiting for it to happen.

For some reason Peter Jackson's interpretation of "you are tempted by the ring" is "you turn into a cartoon villain demon for a minute" :v:

Although oddly enough they never did that to Boromir. Maybe he should have been the one carrying the ring all along!

Both of those sections in the books involved describing some poo poo happening. Frodo saw Bilbo appear as a wretched creature of sorts during that scene and Galadriel had some visual effects going on too. That said, I think Jackson embellished the parts in the movies and it was a bit much.

e:

quote:

Bilbo put out his hand. But Frodo quickly drew back the Ring. To his distress and amazement he found that he was no longer looking at Bilbo; a shadow seemed to have fallen between them, and through it he found himself eyeing a little wrinkled creature with a hungry face and bony groping hands. He felt a desire to strike him."

It's likely that Bilbo didn't change but Frodo's perception of him did as he was being affected by the Ring. So Jackson twisted that a bit for showing in a movie.

quote:

She lifted up her hand and from the ring that she wore there issued a great light that illumined her alone and left all else dark. She stood before Frodo seeming now tall beyond measurement, and beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful. Then she let her hand fall, and the light faded, and suddenly she laughed again and lo! she was shrunkin: a slender elf-woman, clad in simple white, whose gentle voice was soft and sad."

So again Jackson drama'd it up but based it off what Tolkien wrote.

That said it can still be irrationally irritating that he drama'd it up

Levitate has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Dec 8, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Levitate posted:

Both of those sections in the books involved describing some poo poo happening. Frodo saw Bilbo appear as a wretched creature of sorts during that scene and Galadriel had some visual effects going on too. That said, I think Jackson embellished the parts in the movies and it was a bit much.

I forgot about Bilbo but I definitely remembered Galadriel having a thing in the books, but I never imagined it as.... that :stare:

You went too far with the photoshop filters there Jackson

Between her eyes and the way her voice is modulated its just so bizarre. Her normal voice in a threatening tone would have been fine!

Hell I couldn't even make out what she was saying the first time I saw it in theaters. She sounds like Andre the giant as the dread pirate Woberts when they're attacking the castle in Princess Bride.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zaphod42 posted:

I forgot about Bilbo but I definitely remembered Galadriel having a thing in the books, but I never imagined it as.... that :stare:

Between her eyes and the way her voice is modulated its just so bizarre. Her normal voice in a threatening tone would have been fine!

Hell I couldn't even make out what she was saying the first time I saw it in theaters. She sounds like Andre the giant as the dread pirate Woberts when they're attacking the castle in Princess Bride.

All it really needed was some wind and thundering and shaking manifesting from the power she is conceptualizing.

A few fans and on scene earthquake effects would have been a lot cheaper than photoshop, right?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I didn't find the galadriel scene scary as much as painfully awkward. It goes on just a touch too long.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

I didn't find the galadriel scene scary as much as painfully awkward. It goes on just a touch too long.

It also suffers from the 'will the audience get it?' dialog. Doesn't she say something like: 'I passed the test!' at the end? You know, just in case we couldn't get what was going on.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Galadriel does get a bit spooky at times, I took this screenshot when I was watching the last Hobbit film because she was so loving intense in the scene.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zaphod42 posted:

Galadriel as a member of the Goon Squad, make it happen

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lord funk posted:

It also suffers from the 'will the audience get it?' dialog. Doesn't she say something like: 'I passed the test!' at the end? You know, just in case we couldn't get what was going on.

Yes

quote:

In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!
I have passed the test. I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel.

I only heard about 1/3rd of those words at most in the original theater showing, its impossible to make it all out. Mostly just "YOU WOULD HAVE A QUEEN! ALL SHALL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR"

There's also not a single line of like "Actually I shouldn't do that" or "on second thought". Its just "I WILL RULE OVER--hey I passed the test!"

It goes on way too long and it feels super awkward.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I mean, that line is also in the book, but the scene is written slightly differently. Her speech is before the special effects, not during, and it's not done up as dramatically either.

It's maybe a situation where Jackson should have just changed poo poo more but it's also a fairly important part in the book.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Has a goofy film ever been ruined by having an extremely dark moment so horrific you can't think bear to rewatch?

Does Large Marge count?

No, I can't think of a movie so horrific that I can't rewatch it but I've had several where a particular scene put me off, especially in comedies.

Speaking of that, I hate one liners that break the fourth wall. I'm thinking of Randy Quaid's character in Christmas Vacation, where he looks at the camera and says "Bingo". What does that even mean? How zany. Spalding yelling "Dooodie!" in Caddyshack, while not breaking the fourth wall, is similar.

It's like the movie is telling you "OK, laugh hysterically now".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Bachman books are all pretty decent. Well not Regulators.

I understand why he took it out of print, but I really enjoy Rage and I'm glad I still own a copy of it. If he wrote the same story today I'd be pretty disgusted with him, but there is a weird kind of innocence to it because of the way the world has changed since he initially wrote it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Does Large Marge count?

No, I can't think of a movie so horrific that I can't rewatch it but I've had several where a particular scene put me off, especially in comedies.

Speaking of that, I hate one liners that break the fourth wall. I'm thinking of Randy Quaid's character in Christmas Vacation, where he looks at the camera and says "Bingo". What does that even mean? How zany. Spalding yelling "Dooodie!" in Caddyshack, while not breaking the fourth wall, is similar.

It's like the movie is telling you "OK, laugh hysterically now".

I think that's mostly because fourth-wall-breaking is so common now. Back in the day it was pretty rare so it was unexpected, which made it funny. Comedy is all about the unexpected. (that and misfortune happening to other people)

But now its just cliche, and so its expected, and so it isn't funny.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Zaphod42 posted:

They do that awkward "Can't explain what I'm doing right now sorry I guess we'll just have to fight each other" thing, even though for all reasons they should team up.

Its a good thing it was just Ant-man versus the Falcon or somebody could have gotten hurt. :cheeky:

Just like, "look, hey, I'm Ant-man and I have superpowers, I'm trying to stop some bad guys, could we maybe be friends?"

Didn't Ant-Man try to do literally that? The way I remember it he goes all "Hi I'm Scott, I need to borrow this thing thanks!" and they only fight when Falcon tries to take him in for questioning.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes

I only heard about 1/3rd of those words at most in the original theater showing, its impossible to make it all out. Mostly just "YOU WOULD HAVE A QUEEN! ALL SHALL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR"

The middle section is the most distorted but it's "As beautiful and terrible as the dawn!"

I haven't got round to seeing the third Hobbit movie yet - been waiting for the EE after missing it at the cinema - but in that still it looks like Galadriel is using her Elven-Ring so it's not unreasonable to show the same effect.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Zaphod42 posted:

I was thoroughly impressed with the visuals of the LoTR films except for that scene. It was unintentionally hilarious because it looked so bad. That and the green ghosts in the siege scene from the last movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

In Planes, Trains & Automobiles, John Candy puts his hands between two pillows (which are actually Steve Martin's butt). But like, why does he put his hands like that when he sleeps? That's weird as hell.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

In Planes, Trains & Automobiles, John Candy puts his hands between two pillows (which are actually Steve Martin's butt). But like, why does he put his hands like that when he sleeps? That's weird as hell.

It's late November and he's cold which is why we find them cuddling in the morning. He put them someplace warm, which I believe is Martins Thighs not cheeks, and his sleepy mind rationalized this as pillows. I doubt he sleeps with them between pillows all the time, he just couldn't think of anywhere else they could be.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I personally can't sleep at all unless I have my hands jammed between Steve Martin's butt cheeks.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I personally can't sleep at all unless I have my hands jammed between Steve Martin's butt cheeks.

The Steve Martin, or some random dude whose ID reads 'Steve Martin'?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Missing Link posted:

It's late November and he's cold which is why we find them cuddling in the morning. He put them someplace warm, which I believe is Martins Thighs not cheeks, and his sleepy mind rationalized this as pillows. I doubt he sleeps with them between pillows all the time, he just couldn't think of anywhere else they could be.

Maybe he used to sleep with his hands in his wife's rear end, but hasn't shared a bed with anyone since becoming a widower & it was pure muscle memory + a bad excuse. Seems the more likely.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

kizudarake posted:

The Steve Martin, or some random dude whose ID reads 'Steve Martin'?

Any Steve Martin will do.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jedit posted:

I haven't got round to seeing the third Hobbit movie yet - been waiting for the EE after missing it at the cinema

That came out on bluray about two weeks ago, I own it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Watching Korra again.

Amon always makes a ceremony of taking away someone's bending. Kneeling down with their arms held to the side. Why don't any of the fire benders blast him with a fire breath?
In the first show I think only Iroh and Azula can do it but Bending in this show has advanced and branched quite a bit. You'd think fire breath, something much more simple than lightning would be taught as an intermediate skill. poo poo, Mako does it as a goof to sneeze on a police officer.

Maybe it's fear but you'd think that would incite a fire bender into lashing out any way possible.
The air nomads use their breath as a tool and weapon all the time but I guess it's still a really small population.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Dec 9, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

IUG posted:

That came out on bluray about two weeks ago, I own it.

I also have a family who want to know what to get me for Christmas. I can wait a couple of weeks, especially as I probably won't have time to watch it before then and we'll likely all sit down and strip the six movies over three days.

Freddles
Feb 5, 2009

Tenkaris posted:

I was watching Ant-Man at a friend's house the other day and there was a moment that took me right out of the movie with how little sense it made, but I don't think it's necessarily that irrational either..

So Paul Rudd steals the suit not knowing what it does, then while his other ex-con buddies are away from the apartment, he tries it on. They come home and he somehow activates the suit and turns really small in the shower, which they of course instantly come turn on. He gets swept down the drain, somehow falls out of the plumbing and through the floor down to land on.. a Turntable in the DJ booth at some crazy nightclub. He gets down and wanders through stomping feet on the dance floor before falling through a crack in the floor again...

Into some old lady's apartment where she's vacuuming?

So these ex-cons live above a night club, and that night club is ABOVE an old lady who doesn't seem to mind having thumbing beats and stomping feet above? Have the writers even met old people before?

I know logically it's just an excuse to slam together a bunch of cool-looking scenes with the tiny man gimmick and put Paul Rudd in some peril for suspense's sake, but it still took me out of the action for a second because it just makes no sense that any building would be laid out this way.

I guess you could say maybe that's not a night club but some kind of apartment where they're holding a party but it really doesn't come off that way in the moment.

I like that Hank Pym knew the other guy would decide to have a bath at that exact moment, so he could make his "trial by water" joke.

Later, Antman flies in to the Avengers facility to steal some technology. When he lands, shrunken, on the roof, the Falcon flies in and looks for whatever it was that tripped the sensors. If those sensors go off from a little guy the size of an ant walking around, wouldn't they be going off *all the time*?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Freddles posted:

I like that Hank Pym knew the other guy would decide to have a bath at that exact moment, so he could make his "trial by water" joke.

Hank Pym is a perv and uses his science to watch anybody and everybody when they're naked. :eyepop:

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Freddles posted:

Later, Antman flies in to the Avengers facility to steal some technology. When he lands, shrunken, on the roof, the Falcon flies in and looks for whatever it was that tripped the sensors. If those sensors go off from a little guy the size of an ant walking around, wouldn't they be going off *all the time*?

Using Marvel Science (TM) here, i think he trips the sensors because he is just as dense when miniaturised as when full size, so while he is the size of an ant he has the mass of a full grown man, hence tripping the sensors as well as being able to punch people and have any discernible impact on them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Watching Korra again.

Amon always makes a ceremony of taking away someone's bending. Kneeling down with their arms held to the side. Why don't any of the fire benders blast him with a fire breath?
In the first show I think only Iroh and Azula can do it but Bending in this show has advanced and branched quite a bit. You'd think fire breath, something much more simple than lightning would be taught as an intermediate skill. poo poo, Mako does it as a goof to sneeze on a police officer.

Maybe it's fear but you'd think that would incite a fire bender into lashing out any way possible.
The air nomads use their breath as a tool and weapon all the time but I guess it's still a really small population.

Did Azula ever firebreathe? I remember Iroh doing so was a pretty big deal. As for firebenders not doing it, maybe it's one of the harder parts to do right (without burning your tongue off, etc) especially if you're freaking out about a masked man about to steal your bending. Technically speaking the earthbenders should be fine too, as long as they're pressed to the ground (didn't Bumi earthbend with his drat chin?).

I always wondered why Aang's daughter-in-law whined about having all airbender kids. Lady, you are married to the ONLY loving airbender. You better pump out like a dozen kids, and each of them shouldn't marry but breed like rabbits. You are a brood mare, you need to have as many kids as possible because you are seriously married to the only loving airbender, and some of his kids might not be airbenders. For a kid's show, I understand, we can't have lots of half-sibling airbenders running around but it was just dumb to put in. ....then again that stupid Search comic was geared toward kids and had a lot of poo poo about Zuko's mom loving a dude before she got married to Ozai, so Zuko wasn't really his.

Same along those lines, that Aang turned into a pretty racist guy later in life, showering his only airbender kid with special care and taking him to the old temples and, if I remember right, no one in the drat temples even knew he had other kids. Though really the oldest, who wasn't a bender, would have been used better as a 'missing' sibling who was really Amon instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
And Hank Pym the strongest mothafucka in the world cause he can carry around a full-weight tank on his keyring.

Why didn't he just punch everyone with his SUPERMUSCLES?