Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

having only one game mode that's worth a poo poo really doesn't work unless it's something like dota where even the presence of a single character can drastically change how things are played in a match.

gw2 pvp, being a handful of people rapidly farting particle effects at each other until someone maybe dies, doesn't exactly have that benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Schpyder posted:

I only remember the Halloween moba mode being in the first Halloween. At least they brought back the cool CTF snowball fight during wintersday the last couple years.

The snowball fight was/is awesome, and the part of wintersday I'm looking forward to the most!

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I always play as the class which can put down the snow walls and turn into the giant snowball. Because plonking walls directly in front of people and running people over as a snowball never gets old!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I love that the current PvP meta favors tanky as gently caress light armor classes and DPS heavy armor classes.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Xand_Man posted:

I love that the current PvP meta favors tanky as gently caress light armor classes and DPS heavy armor classes.
Defense attribute difference for sPvP between heavy, medium and light classes are minimal. Heavy has 1,167 defense, medium has 1,029, light has 888. Not to mention that base Toughness is 1,000 regardless of armor type. Armor = Defense + Toughness btw.

If you convert this to % of raw damage done after armor, it's 46.15 % for heavy, 49.29 % for medium and 52.97 % for light. Basically 'heavy armor should be more tanky' assumption does not apply as all three armor types don't have much difference in % of raw damage received. So basically heavy armor's only advantage compared to light armor is 279 extra Defense/Armor which is negligible.

Therefore choice of amulet, traits and skills (weapon/utility) become extremely important in being tanky in sPvP, but we all know by now that Tempest and Chronomancer are far better at being tanky (and dealing damage) than your traditional pre-HoT bunker builds (eg. Shout Warrior, Altruistic Guardian).

Yeah ANet could just remove armor restrictions or types and it won't affect sPvP in any single way, but then that'd mean removing huge gold sink (Ascended armor and crafting) too.

e: Also DPS builds generally suck in sPvP due to increased cc and/or stun break. If you're playing DPS builds which require you to 'channel' your skills for couple of seconds against enemy, then most of the times you'll either miss some attacks or get interrupted. As for DPS heavy armor classes, Medi/Trap DH is more of a burst dealer anyway, and Power Revs are being switched to Mallyx Rev (hybrid) now. Also DPS Warrior is extremely hard to utilize and has no place in sPvP.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 8, 2015

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
This game used to be good, but now, it's bad.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Aesis posted:

Defense attribute difference for sPvP between heavy, medium and light classes are minimal. Heavy has 1,167 defense, medium has 1,029, light has 888. Not to mention that base Toughness is 1,000 regardless of armor type. Armor = Defense + Toughness btw.

If you convert this to % of raw damage done after armor, it's 46.15 % for heavy, 49.29 % for medium and 52.97 % for light. Basically 'heavy armor should be more tanky' assumption does not apply as all three armor types don't have much difference in % of raw damage received. So basically heavy armor's only advantage compared to light armor is 279 extra Defense/Armor which is negligible.

Therefore choice of amulet, traits and skills (weapon/utility) become extremely important in being tanky in sPvP, but we all know by now that Tempest and Chronomancer are far better at being tanky (and dealing damage) than your traditional pre-HoT bunker builds (eg. Shout Warrior, Altruistic Guardian).

Yeah ANet could just remove armor restrictions or types and it won't affect sPvP in any single way, but then that'd mean removing huge gold sink (Ascended armor and crafting) too.

e: Also DPS builds generally suck in sPvP due to increased cc and/or stun break. If you're playing DPS builds which require you to 'channel' your skills for couple of seconds against enemy, then most of the times you'll either miss some attacks or get interrupted. As for DPS heavy armor classes, Medi/Trap DH is more of a burst dealer anyway, and Power Revs are being switched to Mallyx Rev (hybrid) now. Also DPS Warrior is extremely hard to utilize and has no place in sPvP.

I was aware that amulets/traits/skills mattered way more then your armor class (though not how much of difference there was mathematically). I was looking at it from a new player's perspective: It is unintuitive to ignore the guy in light armor faffing around a dagger instead of the Guardian whose class description is basically "Is a tank/healer". Such is the meta.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I just got two Tequatl's Hoards from the same teq kill :downs:

I'm mad about this because the incredibly, unbelievably tiny chance of me getting a hoard from both the ground chest and the exotic wiggly chest could have been better used for like, a Dusk or something, gently caress

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm mad about this because the incredibly, unbelievably tiny chance of me getting a hoard from both the ground chest and the exotic wiggly chest could have been better used for like, a Dusk or something, gently caress

Shhhhhhhh I need Dawn :v:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

if this post triggers two pages of complaining about pink gear you have only yourself to blame

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

if this post triggers two pages of complaining about pink gear you have only yourself to blame

trigger this *points 2 dilz*

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

trigger this *points 2 dilz*

well it is pink

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

fuccboi posted:

This game used to be good, but now, it's bad.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
edit: nm

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Huh, turns out Azimuth is surprisingly affordable for a staff that cool-looking.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

U.T. Raptor posted:

Huh, turns out Azimuth is surprisingly affordable for a staff that cool-looking.

I bet some people got mad rich.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

U.T. Raptor posted:

I'll take the word of someone with about 500 80s, but I still kinda wonder what "affordable" means in this context.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

orcane posted:

I'll take the word of someone with about 500 80s, but I still kinda wonder what "affordable" means in this context.

1 eldritch scroll 50 mystic coins 5 oiled ancient staff shafts and 250 sun beads.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
they're on the shop for like 80g

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Cost about half that, probably a lot less once the initial rush dies down.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That feeling when you find out the half a dozen aetherized weapon skins you've been holding for a couple years that were worth 2000-3000g each are now worth 100-400g each because they were added to fractal drops.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is the chainsaw greatsword getting cheaper? That's the only one I really care about.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That feeling when you find out the half a dozen aetherized weapon skins you've been holding for a couple years that were worth 2000-3000g each are now worth 100-400g each because they were added to fractal drops.

Omg, really? Aetherized skins drop in fractals now?!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mike12345 posted:

Is the chainsaw greatsword getting cheaper? That's the only one I really care about.

Depends, is 2500g cheaper or costlier than you remember?

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Looks like I should start doing Fractals. *stares mournfully at Personal Fractal Level 1*

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is anyone even buying at 1000+ prices though? I mean there must be to some degree, but surely that was never a locked market.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Someone keeps buying my Fused Weapon Skins for 2000g, no complaints here.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Chainsaw Greatsword was a Halloween skin that, I don't actually know if it was dropping again this year.

Aetherized weapon skins can drop from the Fractal Encryption boxes, which there's at least one person claiming to have personally opened 270,000 of while it was still a profit to buy-order stabilizing matrices for keys and open. (matrices have since doubled in price)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Looks like I should start doing Fractals. *stares mournfully at Personal Fractal Level 1*

I've been doing them regularly since HoT, they are so much more tolerable now since they were split up rather than requiring the set all at once. Also since dungeons are dead, it's nice to have 5-person group content. So this is good news!

John Lightning posted:

Someone keeps buying my Fused Weapon Skins for 2000g, no complaints here.

donate me gold for christmas, tia

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress yes, disco spear at last.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been doing them regularly since HoT, they are so much more tolerable now since they were split up rather than requiring the set all at once. Also since dungeons are dead, it's nice to have 5-person group content. So this is good news!

donate me gold for christmas, tia

Yeah fractals are actually pretty fun now. Doing 6 of them for dailies can get a little tedious because pubs only ever want to run 2, 10, 21, 32, and the two daily floors though (it's because 2, 21, 32 are swampland, the fastest fractal, and 10 is molten boss, the second fastest). On the other hand I've definitely advertised for the speedrun floors then "accidentally" dragged my pubs into other floors for funsies.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I like fractals because they're not hard, fairly quick, and I feel like I actually get rewards that I'm glad to get almost every day I do them.

Also Tomes of Knowledge so I can level up my alts. :v:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Magres posted:

...On the other hand I've definitely advertised for the speedrun floors then "accidentally" dragged my pubs into other floors for funsies.

The GW2 version of "Oops, wrong hole portal"?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

WHAT

YOU BETTER NOT BE JOKING

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Alteisen posted:

WHAT

YOU BETTER NOT BE JOKING

See for yourself!

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aetherized_Axe_Skin
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aetherized_Dagger_Skin
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aetherized_Focus_Skin

These have embedded trading post prices on them. Focus is only 65 gold.

Fractal encryptions have a (small) chance of containing aetherized skins.

check out my Youtube fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 9, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
:vince:

I need to coax my PC back to life.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Coulda sold my stuff back in the summer, oh well, they just better to the same to the fused and halloween skins that are worth a fortune.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

rip guilder wars

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Game is dead, time to go to wildstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

sure does look like poo poo is down

• Locked thread