Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Trust me dude, I know the feeling. I'm always underwater and the only way I even got it done at all was doing a lot of after hours work. The joys of salaried employment...

I have my workstations set on a rolling 3 week cycle:

Week 1) Patch Tuesday hits and SCCM runs an Automatic Deployment Rule evening of that week, which means the deployment won't capture any KBs MS may have pulled and redistributed (silently or otherwise). Beyond that, it gives you a 2/3 day buffer to exclude problematic KBs. Week 1 targets Pilot Group 1, which is a fairly small number of machines.

Week 2) That Thursday the same type of rule runs, but for Pilot Group 2.

Week 3) Same thing, but for all Enterprise workstations.

The long and the short of it is: don't install anything directly on or directly after Patch Tuesday. Let that poo poo buffer into other environments before you risk yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MrMojok posted:

Do you want Outlook 2010 to start in safe mode every time? Then be sure to install KB3114409

Second "Patch Tuesday" in a row that included a problematic update.
Second?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Last month's patch tuesday had a different KB that caused not only Outlook problems but issues with RDP, etc.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Not that, I'm having a hard time believing that October's Patch Tuesday was issue-free.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Agrikk posted:

I've used RAID-50 on database servers with internal disk arrays. RAID-50 is more performant than RAID-5 and holds more data than RAID-10. The theory behind RAID-50 is that you have striped groups of 3-disk RAID-5 arrays so you get some parity calculations going on as well as striping, so with a group of 6 disks of size N, you'll have a 4N volume size with RAID-50 as opposed to 3N with RAID-10. Your rebuild time after a disk failure in RAID-50 is much faster than ordinary RAID-5 since the rebuild operation is occurring on a single 3 disk set instead of the entire RAID-5 array.

RAID-60 makes some sense as an array that can tolerate more drive failures with quicker rebuilds than a single RAID-6 volume with some of the performance advantages of a striped volume. In this case you have stripes running across 4-disk sets (2 data, 2 parity) and each disk set can handle two failures. Plus a post-failure rebuild only rebuilds the 4-disk set instead of the entire volume. With 12 disks of size N, RAID-10 will give you 6N space, RAID-60 gives you 6N space. But you get interesting rebuild patterns that come into their own in specific edge cases. But yeah, RAID-60 doesn't get much use.
60 is more secure than 10, assuming each drive has an equal chance to fail, you can lose worst case 2 disks in a raid 6 and keep your data live, worst case 1 disk in a mirror.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

RAID story related to this thread.

Client has his own server he supplied running our software on a RAID 1 Array. Sends us an email saying they are seeing delays and encountering odd issues. I connect to the system and poke around a bit. Sure enough looking at the system, queries are not completing in the time they would be expected to as well as multiple errors about request timeouts. Looked at all the usual, memory, cpu usage, then as I'm poking around the Intel Raid monitor pops up saying a drive is failing in their array.

Flashback to when I installed the setup and got a popup message from the same program that a drive was about to fail. I let them know to replace the drive ASAP. The SMART report didn't look bad back then, but it had some worrying results. I guess the client decided to go YOLO and leave it as is until it actually failed.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

60 is more secure than 10, assuming each drive has an equal chance to fail, you can lose worst case 2 disks in a raid 6 and keep your data live, worst case 1 disk in a mirror.

To expand on this,

In RAID-10 you can lose one disk out of each mirror that the stripe set contains. Theoretically you can lose 50% of the drives in a RAID-10 array before it dies, but that's like flipping a coin and hitting heads X times in a row.

in RAID-60, you can also lose 50% of the disks if you are lucky enough to lose exactly two disks out of each stripe set.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

MrMojok posted:

Do you want Outlook 2010 to start in safe mode every time? Then be sure to install KB3114409

Second "Patch Tuesday" in a row that included a problematic update.

Been dealing with calls about this all morning since we have an addin that is critical for all our customers that obviously doesn't run in safe mode.

On the upside, my general email to all clients was a good excuse to tell them all we're ending Office 2010 support as of 31/12/2015 so that was a bonus :getin:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

flosofl posted:

Geolocation of the public IP address it used to communicate on the Internet? My Mac is set to auto-adjust TZ based on location detection.

Which would suck if you are in Chicago and the corporate proxy is in NY (in addition to that being stupid)

Ah alright. I've never seen a windows PC try to automatically configure the timezone and I don't work with Macs much.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Agrikk posted:

With 12 disks of size N, RAID-10 will give you 6N space, RAID-60 gives you 6N space. But you get interesting rebuild patterns that come into their own in specific edge cases. But yeah, RAID-60 doesn't get much use.

This is where I run into a problem with Raid 60. For a drive of size N that is the base unit of the array:

Raid 60: 12 drives = 6N space for 12N cost. Parity calculation requires stronger compute resources on your storage controller if you're going with a hardware card for implementation of your array.

Raid 10: 12 drives = 6N space for 12N cost. No parity calculation.

Raid 10 of 12 drives that fails once has a (nominal failure rate) * (1/11) rate of being destroyed by a second failure as the second failure has to hit the one remaining mirror of the dead drive out of the pool of 11 remaining total. In a 12-disk array, that's already more than an order of magnitude reduced.

If I was worried about actually losing data if a second disk failed in Raid10 because hypothetically I had no backups and didn't regularly test my backups, I would think twice about Raid60. However, as I have backups, my Raid array is only there to prevent downtime in event of a disk failure, whereupon:
A) Rebuild off the hot spare takes place
B) A second disk crashes -- not just any disk, but the mirror. Initiate backups and suffer the 1/11th chance that this downtime would happen for any given double-drive failure event.

Given that Raid10 works (10/11) (edit: was 11/12, but needs n-1) as safely in the example environment, I think Raid 60 might be attractive to (a) appliance vendors (b) people who think RAID = Backups :hurr:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 10, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

To expand on this,

In RAID-10 you can lose one disk out of each mirror that the stripe set contains. Theoretically you can lose 50% of the drives in a RAID-10 array before it dies, but that's like flipping a coin and hitting heads X times in a row.

in RAID-60, you can also lose 50% of the disks if you are lucky enough to lose exactly two disks out of each stripe set.

Not digging into it, but it seems to me that if you have 2 mirrored RAID 6 arrays, you could lose 6 drives(2 drives in one array and the entirety of the other) and still recover your data.

Again, thats simultaneously incredibly lucky and unlucky, but that should be how it works, correct?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

RFC2324 posted:

Not digging into it, but it seems to me that if you have 2 mirrored RAID 6 arrays, you could lose 6 drives(2 drives in one array and the entirety of the other) and still recover your data.

Again, thats simultaneously incredibly lucky and unlucky, but that should be how it works, correct?

Wouldn't that be RAID-61?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Fix It posted:

Wouldn't that be RAID-61?

Dammit, the concept of striping across multiple arrays didn't occur to me, so my brain just assumed it was a mirrored config. :smithicide:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I've actually come to feel that the biggest benefit of RAID 1 or RAID 10 over any of the 5 or 6 variants is that rebuilding is much less stressful on the remaining drives since it's a straight copy rather than reading/calculating a bunch of parity data. When you're rebuilding a six year old array with one failed drive you really don't want to take any risks that you'll fail another one in the rebuilding process.

This might not be actually true so if anyone has any hard data I'm certainly willing to learn, but it seems logical to me that just copying a bunch of data from one disk is less intensive than reading a whole bunch of parity data off a bunch of them.

And of course it usually takes much less time too.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
One of my clients keeps forwarding me website support emails that are obvious "increase your google ranking" spam bullshit asking if they are legitimate.

This is the same client who called me up in a fit because "What did you do to the website?! It looks wrong!!" only to learn that their computer was riddled with more malware than your grandma's Pentium 4.

Of course they use IE too. :smith:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

poo poo like this new bullshit MS KB is exactly why you roll out to pilot groups first before hitting the enterprise.

Always be testing, never trust.

I have to admit, this thread saved my rear end last month. I'd been pushing for us to test updates before we roll them out, but gotten no traction until that last one.
And now THIS? Jesus M$.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have to admit, this thread saved my rear end last month. I'd been pushing for us to test updates before we roll them out, but gotten no traction until that last one.
And now THIS? Jesus M$.

I'm hopefully going to get approval to change our update rollout schedule. This is the second month in a row I've had to do damage control re: Patch Tuesday because of the process the old sysadmin had.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
THE INTERVIEW BEGINS. :getin:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Kashuno posted:

I'm hopefully going to get approval to change our update rollout schedule. This is the second month in a row I've had to do damage control re: Patch Tuesday because of the process the old sysadmin had.

I cant imagine you getting much sensible push back on that. Ideally you want a rollout schedule similar to what Wrath of the bitch king uses. Small pilot group a day after patches released, larger test group representative of the company as a whole and then business wide. This guy seems like an old crank but I usually check his site first to see if there has been a bad patch released: http://www.askwoody.com/

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

larchesdanrew posted:

Good luck!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

larchesdanrew posted:

Remember to maintain eye contact, laugh at their jokes, ask about them, and casually touch their arm or hand when flirting.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Gilok posted:

Remember to maintain eye contact
at all times, and smile. No, smile wider. WIDER!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Phase 1 over dear god I'm dying here someone kill me why am I so autistic

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

Phase 1 over dear god I'm dying here someone kill me why am I so autistic

That's not your concern.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
What did Phase 1 want?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Potato Salad posted:

What did Phase 1 want?

More piss.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A ticket came in:

Subject: Urgent! We need to find a solution to the internet access problem in Beijing ASAP. Our research colleagues cannot do their jobs without access toGoogle and websites outside of China. Let's aim to resolve thisimmediately. Thank you.

Description: Submitted by direct email to helpdesk.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A ticket came in:

Subject: Urgent! We need to find a solution to the internet access problem in Beijing ASAP. Our research colleagues cannot do their jobs without access toGoogle and websites outside of China. Let's aim to resolve thisimmediately. Thank you.

Ahahahahahahahahaha.

Yes, lets get all of your research colleagues arrested for bypassing the Great Firewall.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A ticket came in:

*Ticket Escalated to China
*Assigned to President Xi Jinping
*Closed with comment: "No"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GreenNight posted:

More piss.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=3937

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

More piss.

I was going to say "A blood sample" but this beats that

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A ticket came in:

One of our clients at our old job was like "We want to set up an FTP server [note: this would be in NYC] that is accessible from China let us know what we need."

We politely laughed at them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

*Ticket Escalated to China
*Assigned to President Xi Jinping
*Closed with comment: "No"
This got a laugh.

This too.

I just had to explain video buffering to an adult. Using only small words.
FML.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Lol a "technological literacy exam?" Try "loving Cisco Networking Exam".

gently caress my gay life.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

If someplace gave me that for a role where I wasn't doing exclusively networking I'd seriously question everything about the interview process. If my hiring was related to the results I'd walk. If they just wanted to know how much "training" you'd need okay I guess. If they want you to know CISCO stuff then they should put CCNA as a requirement and just use that instead of giving a test.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Several tickets have come in...from our Deskside Management team.

"We believe there is a problem with the Surface Pro 3 image. Please fix"

Running the problem down, they've determined that the image, which has been solid and running flawlessly beyond driver updates to the image since August, is broken since a singular Surface Pro 3 can't install it. Just a single one. Despite the fact that I can demonstrate AT MY DESK ON A TEST SURFACE that the image runs flawlessly it's determined that the test Surface is inadmissible as evidence, since it has 128 GB of desk space versus the faulty one having 256 GB.

The Deskside team also can't wrap their brain around the differences between UEFI and BIOs. No matter how many times I explain that UEFI will only boot from a FAT32 volume/partition they remain confused when the NTFS formatted thumb drive isn't read by the system. This is only compounded when we get a laptop or desktop in stock whose manufacturer actually injects the NTFS drivers into their UEFI partition, making it readable. This just gives them firepower to attempt to make it my problem again.

Basically anytime a synapse on that team has to fire they get aggravated.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

pixaal posted:

If someplace gave me that for a role where I wasn't doing exclusively networking I'd seriously question everything about the interview process. If my hiring was related to the results I'd walk. If they just wanted to know how much "training" you'd need okay I guess. If they want you to know CISCO stuff then they should put CCNA as a requirement and just use that instead of giving a test.

My feelings exactly. They listed no specific requirements on the job listing, per se. It was a 50 question Cisco exam and a 50 question Server 2008 exam, which I pretty much aced.

It doesn't even make sense, from the sound of it, they're pretty much specifically vendor and MSP supported. My job would be to make sure the vendors and techs aren't loving us along with implementing tech deployment plans.

Next year the campus is going 100% BYOD, and they're converting all the computer labs into, like, literal coffee shops with printers in them :downs:

It sounds alright, though. I think I did well on the interview portions. The director was apparently impressed with my views on team leadership and transparency.

We'll see. They said they'd have a decision by tomorrow afternoon.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

larchesdanrew posted:

As in asking for CLI commands like "How do you find the bandwidth load on this cisco router"?

Or like "Our network is 10.0.0.0 255.252.0.0 please define the last address in this range"?

The second one is more acceptable in a network admin role, and is a point of interest (though shouldn't bar you from the job) in a server admin role.

larchesdanrew posted:

It was a 50 question Cisco exam and a 50 question Server 2008 exam, which I pretty much aced.

Oh. I'm guessing it won't bar you from the position, they're just making sure you're not a complete idiot when it comes to networking and security.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 10, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Or like "Our network is 10.0.0.0 255.252.0.0 please define the last address in this range"?

10.0.0.1 :smug:
I use Mikrotik.

Mikrotik RouterOS counts backwards when assigning for some reason

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

10.3.255.254 (it's a reflex at this point)

• Locked thread