Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I think you also have to have some sticky lines and scenes to reference in pop culture that remind people about it, fatal attraction would have faded a lot more without the whole vagina thing.
Zorro has the writing a letter with your sword bit that gets referenced now and again, without it it would be even more forgotten.

edit: my brain has just informed me that I am a dick. Fatal Attraction's the bunny boiler one. Well you know what if it had had a lady deliberately giving me a glimpse of her genitals while crossing her legs I would have remembered it better so POINT MADE.

Wormophile fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No one talks or cares about Marty, and that was an insanely popular and good movie. Just not a classic, somehow, like 5 years laters' The Apartment. It happens.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the 1992 De Palma thriller Raising Cain a parody? It's not the weirdest movie I've ever seen, but it definitely sets the weirdest tone of any movie I've ever seen. It's kind of like if Zucker/Abrams/Zucker did Hitchcock, but I think it's not supposed to be?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I frequently find the tone of DePalma's films to be weird.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

cheerfullydrab posted:

No one talks or cares about Marty, and that was an insanely popular and good movie. Just not a classic, somehow, like 5 years laters' The Apartment. It happens.

I talk about Marty

:colbert:

e: first heard about the movie when I first saw Quiz Show, watched it a few years later, still one of my favorite movies

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Wormophile posted:

I think you also have to have some sticky lines and scenes to reference in pop culture that remind people about it, fatal attraction would have faded a lot more without the whole vagina thing.
Zorro has the writing a letter with your sword bit that gets referenced now and again, without it it would be even more forgotten.

edit: my brain has just informed me that I am a dick. Fatal Attraction's the bunny boiler one. Well you know what if it had had a lady deliberately giving me a glimpse of her genitals while crossing her legs I would have remembered it better so POINT MADE.

I'm thankful we didn't see Glenn Close's vagina.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rurea posted:

I'm not.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Glenn Close is newly single this year

fellas

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's actually really fun watching movies that were big at the time but forgotten now, they give you a really clear insight into what the times were really like. Like, who in the last ten years has watched The Turning Point (which was nominated for eleven Oscars) besides people in the dance community? Or Summer of '42, besides nostalgic elderly people and Stanley Kubrick obsessives?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I'm watching Brick Mansion right now and at the end of a car chase the car the main characters are in swings around and stops with the camera focused on the license plate. The plate is from detroit and it reads 313A82K98. It also has a QR code that when scanned reads "313 DET 593".

Is this some sort of easter egg or just nonsense?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FishBulb posted:

I frequently find the tone of DePalma's films to be weird.

I wish I could put into (better) words the weird feeling of De Palma thrillers and why they keep me from feeling fully satisfied. The best I can come up with is that they don't feel like "real" movies. Like what I'm seeing is some kind of test or experiment (or, at their worst, a joke) rather than a finished piece of work.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
They have a prankish, schlocky vibe, like Hitchcock by way of John Waters.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Anyone here have any experience with world cinema - specifically Japanese art films?

Working on a paper for one of my classes on global art cinema. We all have to pick a foreign filmmaker. The directors suggested to me by my instructor were: Hirokazu Koreeda, Tomoyuki Furumaya, and Shinji Aoyama. Just curious if anyone knew any details about any of them. Hard to pick one to focus on when I don't know anything about all of them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mordiceius posted:

Anyone here have any experience with world cinema - specifically Japanese art films?

Working on a paper for one of my classes on global art cinema. We all have to pick a foreign filmmaker. The directors suggested to me by my instructor were: Hirokazu Koreeda, Tomoyuki Furumaya, and Shinji Aoyama. Just curious if anyone knew any details about any of them. Hard to pick one to focus on when I don't know anything about all of them.

My suggestion for this is to watch a film by each of them and see what piques your interest. Kore-eda is relatively accessible and his films tend to be naturalistic and just edging towards sentimentality. After Life would be good to watch. Aoyama is probably somewhat more difficult, and Eureka was his most notable film for a while and emblematic of his style. I'm not really familiar with Furumaya!

When thinking about "global cinema" you also want to get a better grip on national context, so finding some readings on contemporary Japanese cinema would be a necessary start for this as well.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 5, 2015

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

lizardman posted:

Honestly, I think pretty much any movie that doesn't quite reach classic status or doesn't launch an on-going franchise is going to feel 'forgotten' in pop culture after a while, even if it was a big hit. I'd say Mask of Zorro isn't really forgotten so much as there's just not a compelling reason for people to talk about it much. If a major studio were to put out another Zorro reboot in the next ten years, you can bet Mask of Zorro would see a higher profile by extension; home video re-release, retrospective articles, people discussing how the new cast compares to Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta Jones, etc.

I think movies that cater to adult audiences are the most susceptible to this, since they're the least likely to spawn sequels, spinoffs, and merchandise and are less likely to be remembered nostalgically (I think...? Do 60 year olds have strong nostalgia for movies they watched in their 30s? In any case, by that time I think you're outside the target market for most mainstream pop culture entertainment products). Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson both had long strings of big hits in the 80s and 90s that don't get talked much about anymore (I realize the latter is a pariah these days, but still): when was the last time anybody mentioned Witness, Maverick, What Lies Beneath, or Forever Young? The people who loved those movies aren't going around writing blogs about them.

Even for something like Fatal Attraction, a hugely influential movie that I'd say is hardly forgotten, it was still a surprise to me to discover that it was such a cultural force in its day that it was the highest grossing movie worldwide that year, was nominated for best picture at the Oscars, and landed the cover of Time magazine! It's just, well, aside from whenever another obsession/stalker type thriller comes out, there's just aren't a whole lot of reasons to bring it up.

Witness is great, and the supporting cast is pretty high pedigree too.

I grew up on those movies though, wasn't an adult at the time.

EDit: Glenn Close was a stone cold fox...20 years ago

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 5, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

Witness is great, and the supporting cast is pretty high pedigree too.

I grew up on those movies though, wasn't an adult at the time.

EDit: Glenn Close was a stone cold fox...20 years ago

Witness(1985) Like, "Harrison Ford hides out with the Amish" Witness? I don't know if I'd call it great... I guess I should watch it again.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It was nominated for 8 oscars. I watched it recently and it is great and really holds up.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 6, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Witness(1985) Like, "Harrison Ford hides out with the Amish" Witness? I don't know if I'd call it great... I guess I should watch it again.

Kelly McGillis' boobs

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Rurea posted:

:roflolmao:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Has anyone seen Jonas Mekas's "As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty", and is it worth seeking out?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

Peter Weir's an outstanding loving director.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My suggestion for this is to watch a film by each of them and see what piques your interest. Kore-eda is relatively accessible and his films tend to be naturalistic and just edging towards sentimentality. After Life would be good to watch. Aoyama is probably somewhat more difficult, and Eureka was his most notable film for a while and emblematic of his style. I'm not really familiar with Furumaya!

When thinking about "global cinema" you also want to get a better grip on national context, so finding some readings on contemporary Japanese cinema would be a necessary start for this as well.

I actually ended up picking Kore-eda's After Life because I was able to find more academic journals discussing it.

Having just finished watching it - what a goddamn fantastic film that was. Goddamn. That was phenomenal.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Has anyone seen Jonas Mekas's "As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty", and is it worth seeking out?
I've been looking for a copy (for cheap) because I've heard it's stupendous. No luck so far though.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know anything about the 70mm release for Hateful Eight? I'm in NYC, so you'd think I'd be able to find something about a local theater here running it, but nothing so far.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Does anyone know anything about the 70mm release for Hateful Eight?

Apparently they had focus issues at a recent press screening and had to show the second half of the film in digital:
https://www.inverse.com/article/8811-the-70mm-projector-didn-t-work-at-an-early-hateful-eight-screening

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I'm in NYC, so you'd think I'd be able to find something about a local theater here running it, but nothing so far.

It'll only be shown in 70mm in 96 theaters in the US and according to this site that includes Village East Cinema, Regal E-Walk and AMC Loews Lincoln Square.

Edit: poo poo, there's actually three cinemas here in Melbourne Australia (which has half the population of New York) that will be screening it in 70mm and Tarantino is rumoured to be attending one session. Suck it, New York!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 9, 2015

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
I could eat my words in a few days but I am getting bad vibes from The Force Awakens.

No screening for critics. Wtf. If they were so confident they made a decent movie they'd screen for critics.

Plus J.J Abrams.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

starry skies above posted:

I could eat my words in a few days but I am getting bad vibes from The Force Awakens.

No screening for critics. Wtf. If they were so confident they made a decent movie they'd screen for critics.

Plus J.J Abrams.

Avoiding leaks is infinitely more important to them than getting a critical boost

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, a critical boost gets them nothing. A critic misplaces a word, and a bunch of nerds freak out and cost them ticket sales.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

morestuff posted:

Avoiding leaks is infinitely more important to them than getting a critical boost

But we already know it's just going to be a retread of the original trilogy. :shrug:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The most important thing their marketing can do is prop up the benefit of the doubt. The more critical opinions are heard, the more people will form preconceptions based on them rather than preconceptions based on blind faith that a giant commercial endeavor will somehow recapture the magic of their (man)childhoods.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

But we already know it's just going to be a retread of the original trilogy. :shrug:

I wasn't aware you'd read the scripts for all three movies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Timby posted:

I wasn't aware you'd read the scripts for all three movies.

Just the poster with a Death Star on it instead.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nobody making them thinks about them as movies. They are major components of a multi-platform marketing push featuring intellectual property with a history of strong ROI.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Nobody making them thinks about them as movies. They are major components of a multi-platform marketing push featuring intellectual property with a history of strong ROI.

I just like that with Abrams on part 1, Rian Johnson on part 2, and the jagoff who did Jurassic World on part 3, the new trilogy will have the same relative order of quality as the original trilogy.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: poo poo, there's actually three cinemas here in Melbourne Australia (which has half the population of New York) that will be screening it in 70mm and Tarantino is rumoured to be attending one session. Suck it, New York!

Except the entire Village website crashed when tickets went on sale and it sold out by the time I got through on the phone. Sadface.

I guess I can still go see a 70mm screening, but $50 for the extended version with a Tarantino + Bridges Q&A afterwards would have been amazing.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Did they ever put the Star Wars Special Edition from 1997 on BD or DVD? The version that was in theaters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Volcott posted:

Did they ever put the Star Wars Special Edition from 1997 on BD or DVD? The version that was in theaters.

No. The 2004 DVDs were drawn from the Special Edition, but there were significant changes made (Lowry Digital did a rushed restoration job, more CGI was added, they subbed McDiarmid for Clive Revill in Empire, they took out Luke's scream as he falls, and probably a zillion other things were adjusted).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Volcott posted:

VHS and Japanese VCD is it, I'm pretty sure. I bought the VCD used at Newbury Comics in 2002 and still don't know how I feel about buying it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Plus J.J Abrams.

Phantom Menace was one of the first movies where newspapers broke the unwritten rule of not releasing a review until opening day, so I don't blame Disney for being cautious. Not that they should worry, the reviewers failed to warn us off the last time, and even if the entire film is just a static image of goatse and every advance review said that, we'd still lining up in drives to see it. poo poo, most of the tickets for opening day are sold out already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

VHS and Japanese VCD is it, I'm pretty sure. I bought the VCD used at Newbury Comics in 2002 and still don't know how I feel about buying it.

They are on laserdisc too, which is probably the best choice if your other options are VHS and VCD.