Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can you buy bagels and cream cheese in the 'verse?

Probably from actual space jews if past space games are any indicator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6035418/#Comment_6035418

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bait and Swatch posted:

Probably from actual space jews if past space games are any indicator

Will they take care of Space Christ?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Might have been explained already but in some of these hilarious bug videos there are shots of players jamming needles into their arm I assume for a health boost or whatever

Do players wear self sealing space suits or some poo poo because it seems like jamming a needle into your suit would be a really bad idea in space

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

So you're saying there's still hope, right?

For 3 months at least. Yeah.

Not counting what they haul in December. Their income has flat-lined again as expected.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

D_Smart posted:

They've got about $11.35m left. Don't ask me how I know any of that.

Please let this be true. Please please please....

I bet he still owes money to big name actors too, and is relying on future sales to pay their salaries. This is just like history repeating itself :)

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 10, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Kickstarter hires reporter to probe startup that collapsed after raising $3.4M

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Will they take care of Space Christ?

You mean Croberts (blessed be his name)? They'll take care of him until their space 401k is blown up by pirates, then they'll crucify him

It's ironic you see

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

lol

Kickstarter hired a journalist to find out that throwing millions of dollars at hype videos on kickstarter, a site which lets random guests make wild promises and collect money as pre-order rewards, with no obligation to fulfill promises made on their site, might be abused.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

:shepicide:

Not only is he wrong but those formulas have nothing to do with the issue. It's like lemme explain projectile motion with the formula for surface diffusion of carbon in iron during carburization

gently caress it's like a bunch of elementary schoolers trying to launch a rocket

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Someone should start a kickstarter to investigate the journalist who's doing the investigation.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

this person is a paid shill imo. reminds me of that dude with the Muppet avatar (not kermit) who is on twitter alot and belongs to some marketing firm.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bait and Swatch posted:

You mean Croberts (blessed be his name)? They'll take care of him until their space 401k is blown up by pirates, then they'll crucify him

It's ironic you see

I bet he gets crucified on a cross of gold.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You should not kickstarter games hope this helps everyone

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Eonwe posted:

HBS KS games have yet to disappoint me

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Eonwe posted:

Kickstart games by developers with good trackrecords imo.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6052330/#Comment_6052330

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

They've got about $11.35m left. Don't ask me how I know any of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTPPh_njF5Q

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Anyone who can come up with a convincing procedural, "forum post based on an erroneous understanding of physics" generator, might be heralded by historians as the Leonardo Da Vinci of trolling. That seems to be the poo poo that brings lurkers out, flips them, and gets them onto the corners so they earnin'. 90% of the time, it works every time.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

this person is a paid shill imo. reminds me of that dude with the Muppet avatar (not kermit) who is on twitter alot and belongs to some marketing firm.
I've seen a lot of their posts and I'm leaning more towards dim-witted sycophant that is far too emotionally invested in Star Citizen. On the bright side, they provided the wonderful quote: "Don't worry. It's a known issue. Everything is normal."

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

Head bobbing makes it much, much worse why would you even do that??? Stupid gimmicks like camera shake and motion blur can make it worse.

Yeah, the idea is absolutely baffling. It seems like, for some reason (it's :spergin:), CR really wants to display exactly what your dumb eyes would perceive in the scene, thereby leaving your brain with a ton of processing and the consequent platform for motion sickness. Good developers, who understand how to make a pleasantly playable game, emulate the final, material experience, because they know that half-arsed sensory immersion (the only level of sensory immersion available on consumer hardware) is worse than no immersion at all.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It looks like the ATV set will still be finished in 2 weeks

e: :derp::lesnick:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 10, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

fuctifino posted:

Please let this be true. Please please please....

I bet he still owes money to big name actors too, and is relying on future sales to pay their salaries. This is just like history repeating itself :)
Maybe he paid Hamill and Oldman in points on the gross.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

fuctifino posted:

It looks like the ATV set will still be finished in 2 weeks

e: :derp::lesnick:

Is Sandi leaning because of the increased gravity?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w4bvz/star_citizen_is_mostly_a_pve_mission_game_not_pvp/

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Someone many threads ago pointed out that :lesnick:'s arms can ever reach far enough to wipe after he's evacuated his bowels.

Studio lights are hot. Ben sits down all day. He probably uses the office toilet at least once.

I've never been able to forget this fact, as much as I try.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

It wants furry ads.

Imagine, you're 'versing quietly in the bar, minding your 'verse.

Suddenly, horrific images cover the monitors, while screeching and squeaking assaults your very soul.

You file a complaint with the 'verse GMs, which are themselves furry players. They deny your request.

You take the matter to the High Court of CRoberts, who is faced with an impossible situation: Both of the parties are whales. The GM wishes to keep furry ads, citing freedom of the 'verse. You wish to remove them, citing immersion.

The CRoberts cannot reconcile two fundamentally, mutually exclusive 'verse truths.

The Centre can no longer hold, and thus the end times begin.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Refund Update:

Took my $100 to the pub last night and blew half of it straight away on a $25 dram of Laphroaig Triple Wood each for my buddy and I.

It was gone in 15 minutes and still far better value than Star Citizen.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w2zuj/cr_is_bugsmashing/

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

They'll probably end up doing something like turret guns get a damage bonus when a human gunner is in there (because of sci-fi implants tech or something). That way it's a calculated decision how you split up a group of people between ships. This sort of system takes a long time and a lot of effort to balance. Also it takes a game.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

D_Smart posted:

For 3 months at least. Yeah.

Not counting what they haul in December. Their income has flat-lined again as expected.

What changed, you said they only had 3 months in October?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

More PTU Gameplay: It's been three or four patches since the last time, so I figured I'd give it another go and see how the stability is. We've been talking a lot about Puhvuhpuh in here so I thought I'd make my mission for tonight to get at least one pvp kill, consensual or otherwise.

Attempt 1: I am immediately able to log in, which is a nice change of pace. So far the usual bugs seem to be in play- FPS is low, I can see explosions through walls, the constant lens flare in the spawn area is still there. It seems like the server's already been going for a while, so I'm not going to be able to ambush people as they get in their ships for the first time. Instead I opt to be the bait. I spawn in a Constellation and do a couple of laps around the station, where a few ships are just hovering about. Being in a Constellation is basically like hanging a "Kill me" sign around your neck at this point. Then I very deliberately align on Covalex, and fly off. Sure enough a gladius, mustang and hornet arrive within seconds and start coming after me. The Constellation gives a good accounting for itself- I kill the mustang and either kill or drive off the gladius, I'm not sure which. Half my ship's on fire and the other half is spraying fluids, so it kind of balances out. One thing of note during the fight- you can lock missiles on "Friendlies" but there's no indicator about their fire status so you pretty much just have to pray. I don't think I've managed to hit with a single missile since the PTU came out. I fly to the repair station where of course more vultures are sitting around only this time as I come out of warp I can't turn anymore? Not sure if that was a bug or I legitimately was shot to poo poo- I use lateral thrust to narrowly avoid the station but then I'm forced to cruise in a straight line as they sit behind me and finish me off. Oh well, good fight. Next up- I jump in a superhornet and fly to the security outpost. There's only one guy there- a guy from the earlier fight- and he beats it as soon as I show up, so I put down and go inside to get a rifle. So far it's all been very smooth, amazingly enough. I pick up the gun and head back out to the landing pad when I'm hit by the first true bug of the night- the infinite-spinning bug. Luckily(?) chuckles has gotten his nerve up enough to fly back and shoot at the disabled character twirling helplessly on the pad like some kind of retarded space marine variety act. Respawning, I decide to go thank him for rescuing me with a lot of bullets. I spawn a super hornet but as luck would have it, I somehow manage to get into the turret and some dude following me gets into my driver's seat without realizing it. Several minutes of a three stooges routine proceeds, as he repeatedly tries to get into the turret and I repeatedly try to get into the driver's seat and take off before he can. Finally I manage it and zoom off- if only there was a "Flip the bird" emote to trigger as flew away, but no. I warp out to a comm array and immediately crash. Well, it took quite a while anyway.

Attempt 2: I walk down to the lobby and attempt to spawn a bigger ship to do it like the ancient Greeks did- with ramming. Unfortunately the pad is blocked by a Constellation embedded about halfway through it. I took a picture:

So I jump back in the hornet instead and decide that my first mission is to grind that Constellation into dust. The hornet turns out to be astonishingly resilient- the very first hit sends the Constellation physics-ing into nothingness and I'm barely scratched. I wheel back around and pick off several more spawned ships before deciding this is a little boring and unsportsmanlike besides- the hornet just plows through them and keeps on going. I pick a moving target and bounce him off the side of the station instead. It's really not hard to avoid someone trying to ram- they go so fast that you pretty much have to be stationary or moving in a perfectly straight line for them to catch you. Naturally, nobody ever turns. A few minutes later all that's left near the station is debris, and chat is filling with angry messages about a dick who won't let anyone fly away, so I decide to go repair. When I get to the repair station there's a guy flying an Avenger. Now here, I think to myself, is a worthy challenge- I'm half dead, parts of my ship are literally falling off as I fly, and this guy just got done repairing. Let's fight! He spends the next 10-ish minutes trying to run away from me in Cruise only to occasionally turn and do a jousting run. With half my thrusters gone I for some reason fly way faster than normal, and turn so hard that I am constantly blacking myself out. It's like two peewee footballers trying to get to the ball but they keep losing focus and wandering off toward their parents. Eventually he fucks off altogether, so I fly back to the repair station and put down for repairs, which promptly execute me inside my ship somehow. Oh well.

I go back to the spawn area to find a man overwhelmed by it all, clutching his knees:

I try again to spawn a big ship but the spawn computers are now in full clusterfuck mode and I have to hammer on them to get any response. Finally my ship spawns. They show up as icons on the screen now immediately after spawning, which is nice. What's less nice is watching mine show up, land on the pad, and fly the gently caress away before I have even made it out of the airlock. I didn't even think that was possible but there you are. I spawn another one, go back out there, and take off just as some would-be ship thief runs out to grab it. He yells at me for leaving without him, so I come back- at 200 meters per second. There are no survivors.

I respawn and see in chat that there are new Mobiglass features, so like a complete mongoloid, I open it up. Once again it smears my screen with vaseline and locks my controls in some mode I can't exit. God drat it, it happens every other time I use that thing. On the bright side, when I hit the suicide button my character just kind of topples forward and down a flight of stairs, which is fairly satisfying.

The server is now just completely making GBS threads itself- doors don't work, everything is lagging, NPCs are reportedly sitting still. I like to think I rammed the guy so hard that it broke something. I sit around for a minute and spawn one more ship. Once again I race out, trying to beat the motherfuckers who are out there waiting to jump in it. I get aboard but I'm pretty sure at least one is on board with me so I decide to fly out past the weapons-free line, get out of the pilot's chair, and shoot him until he gets off my loving ship. I get as far as "Get out of the pilot's chair" before I am summarily blasted out the back of the ship by a physics glitch and left floating in deep space as it rockets off into the night without me. I decide that's enough.

Mission Status: Accomplished, I think. It's really hard to tell.

Final Thoughts: There are a lot of improvements to be seen, and I'd hope so after 11 patches (and 3 years, and 100 million dollars, etc). I never had any trouble getting in, I only had one crash bug, and for the most part I was able to stay connected and the game remained playable. Glitches and bullshit abound, but it's very close to being in a solid release state- I will not be surprised if it's kicked out before the vacation part of the month. PvP is hilarious, and fun, and right now nobody knows what the gently caress they're doing which is always my favorite time in a new game because you can get away with so much more. Everyone has turned into a bit of a twat around the landing zone, which amuses me to no end but I'm sure will bring down the "Concern" hammer pretty hard as soon as enough of the fanbase has a little cry about it. The Retaliator is still a beautiful piece of flying garbage, and the Constellation is still basically the Death Star if you get in front of it. Ramming is fun but doesn't seem terribly effective as a tactic- I suspect stealth nerfs because it just wasn't hurting either ship, but it is fun to send people rear end over teakettle out of nowhere. Truth be told, I'm having a lot of fun with the game as it is right now. I'd really like to try some organized play but I'm going to need to get an organization for that. Or just get on the Discord channel for a server I guess.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 10, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Star Citizen will literally be the most boring game of all time. Worse than Viscera Cleanup Detail. Worse than World of Guns. Worse than Bad Rats. It'll be composed mainly of people who play online to play by themselves. "There's no end-game", which gives no incentive to do anything.

Dying has no effect on a character or the player, and doing well apparently only allows you to buy a more expensive ship to then do the exact same mining mission all over. If there is any excitement for this game, it'll die down in more or less 5 hours of playtime.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Doyzer posted:

What changed, you said they only had 3 months in October?

The November sale.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't even pay that much attention to this nonsense and I still remember it happened.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So am I right that their conservative estimated burn rate is $3m per month?

That means they need to raise $100,000 per day to cover their current overheads before dipping into their savings. They are getting less than half that at the moment.

There is a good chance that the $11m that CiG 'has' has already been earmarked for Chris's Sqd42 shambles, or is already owed to some big name actors.

Without a large injection of cash, this could all come crashing down far sooner than I realised.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Ag Bengip posted:

Yeah, the idea is absolutely baffling. It seems like, for some reason (it's :spergin:), CR really wants to display exactly what your dumb eyes would perceive in the scene, thereby leaving your brain with a ton of processing and the consequent platform for motion sickness. Good developers, who understand how to make a pleasantly playable game, emulate the final, material experience, because they know that half-arsed sensory immersion (the only level of sensory immersion available on consumer hardware) is worse than no immersion at all.

human eyeballs compensate for head movement. try looking at something and nod or shake your head, the image stays stable.

cig needs to put the camera in the eyes and then model eye movement in relation to head movement then we're all good again.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

HKS posted:

human eyeballs compensate for head movement. try looking at something and nod or shake your head, the image stays stable.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Sarsapariller, You're making this game sound fun.

Stop that, you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Final Thoughts: There are a lot of improvements to be seen, and I'd hope so after 11 patches (and 3 years, and 100 million dollars, etc). I never had any trouble getting in, I only had one crash bug, and for the most part I was able to stay connected and the game remained playable. Glitches and bullshit abound, but it's very close to being in a solid release state- I will not be surprised if it's kicked out before the vacation part of the month.

How is it possible for things like the Connie to be stuck halfway in the landing platform. Isn't there some block of code in the engine that essentially says "these are solid objects"?

• Locked thread