Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
u might say you need your blood echoes to level up with , but, thats a choice u can make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah but having the cap on how many you can have in the field makes them functionally identical to an Estus, it was always weird to me that they were a finite consumable. It's a very very minor complaint and a problem I only ran into on the final DLC boss of my 5th playthrough and well over 100 hours.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

u might say you need your blood echoes to level up with , but, thats a choice u can make.

I learned to spend the excess echoes on blood vials. I don't seem to have a problem with bullets however.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

I usually hate doing crap like this, but I think it's necessary to point out that the higher your adaptability is the more iFrames your roll is and the faster certain animations like healing are. It's the one thing I really really dislike about DSII because every time I play I spend the first 30 levels pumping up ADP to a playable level but yeah. My advice is to get ADP to 30.

this is one of the main reasons i hate it.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

just a bunch of stat bloat for stupid poo poo

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm going to max out my blood vials fighting ludwig because you get 5 before every attempt and he kills me before I can use any lol

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

u can buy them though

I know, any time I go back to the dream with fevers echoes than I need to level I always buy vials and I've got a shitload but like IT said it just seems silly it's finite

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

When ludwig jumps in the air I never have any idea when he's going to come down. sometimes its after a second or so and other times he waits what seems like an eternity before flattening me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you're looking for hot tips: just run straight and he will never hit otherwise you will figure it out eventually

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

If you're looking for hot tips: just run straight and he will never hit otherwise you will figure it out eventually

I've gotten hit doing that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm going to max out my blood vials fighting ludwig because you get 5 before every attempt and he kills me before I can use any lol
You can up that to 11 and a bunch of bullets if you kill the cannon and axe tentacle guys each time, who are pretty fun to fight and worth a lot of souls.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

drat. I'm sorry

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You can up that to 11 and a bunch of bullets if you kill the cannon and axe tentacle guys each time, who are pretty fun to fight and worth a lot of souls.

I'm sl4 so I'll pass lol. when the axe guy turns his space warper on I get shredded every time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm sl4 so I'll pass lol. when the axe guy turns his space warper on I get shredded every time.
yeah you gotta kill him before then, :rip:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

getting him down to half usually but he's not swapping forms. I guess it's a little less than half that you have to get him to. please swap forms ludwig.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

drat. I'm sorry

no worries, it's still probably my best bet to dodge it but sometimes he lands way early and it doesn't work.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just got to paarl and died to him once just to get djura's quest completed, and now i'm not sure if i want to level a little bit before taking him on or not. i have his moveset pretty close to being down, but basically any mistake makes me die nearly instantly, and i'm also doing close to chip damage on him, which makes it hard to get the stagger.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

fought ludwig until my saw cleaver broke and only got to phase 2 once. might be time to give up for tonight.

Dec 26, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

yeah, some of his attacks are designed to discourage this

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wow call me jelly.

Those diesel drinkers hit like trucks and only give --get this-- 10577 souls in new game ++ lmao

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

This optional boss is wrecking me, does anyone have any hot tips (because he's on fire LOL)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah dude. Let me lay it out since I finally beat him after face planting forever.

Start the fight by baiting the fist slam. He always opens with the fist slam that gets "stuck" then shockwaves when he pulls his arm out.

While he's doing that, blow the hell outta his brains until you get a visceral. This is a great way to start the fight off right with a good 2-5000 damage.

Now, I just baited his leap and quick stepped through it forward and got some hits in. This isn't too bad. Don't get greedy. You can quick step his 3-4 swipes (outside swipe, inside, outside, outside) but it's not worth it in ng++.

He'll start falling over on his combo and you can get some hits in. You can also attack him when you cripple limbs or when he heals the cripple. He'll also do a fist punch combo that ends with double fists in the ground (and a decent aoe) you can get hits in.

When you get him to the final phase, stay on his right side with the small arm. If he does the crawl slams he'll circle and not touch you. Don't touch his lava. If you get really unlucky he might overhead slam with his big arm and kill you. Ymmv.

Lead elixirs make you immune to most of his stagger attacks. And prevents lava stagger. Fun combo but I didn't win with it.

Good luck hunter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benny D posted:

This optional boss is wrecking me, does anyone have any hot tips (because he's on fire LOL)

Stay low. One burst of fire is enough to tear a man in half.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I leveled up the loving bow just to do 900 damage charged shots to get that sweet visceral. Dude has like 25-30k HP in ng++

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is the first game i've gotten all the survivors to the chapel, and the beggar is so happy! i think i'm going to fight abhorrent beast for real this time, since bother other characters have poison knife spammed him :pwn:

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I told my dad I wanted blood borne for Christmas and he said said its the hardest game he's ever played. I hope I don't get owned by this game.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Bloodborne is the dark souls of Christmas presents

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The real dad Christmas starts here

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
this guy fights the first dlc boss (i guess i'll do spoilers since we have new people reading) bare handed on ng+7. his voice is terrible tho...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-n3nSLY20

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
he does a couple cool tricks i'll have to remember, like baiting a mid-range swipe, then dodging into his underside to attack in phase 1

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive always wondered what it means when the boses in this game kind of charge up and glow red. amygdala and amelia both do it a lot. does it mean they're about to do a big chain attack? do they get buffed? idk

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Just reached OOK. The setting is unbelievably lush. They did such a great job with this dlc, thank you FROM

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

ive always wondered what it means when the boses in this game kind of charge up and glow red. amygdala and amelia both do it a lot. does it mean they're about to do a big chain attack? do they get buffed? idk

theyre healing their damaged limbs. if you see them do that it means you can stagger them by attacking the same limb again

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Benny D posted:

the first form is almost exactly like the cleric beast as far as i can tell. maybe a little faster ? ive beaten him twice only so dont hold me to that .. anyway, stay beside him in his 2nd phase, both times i did it i stood to his right, my left.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think you mean Amelia.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
nope :P

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zuh ... ?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh wait...just gave a thought about the story and that makes a lot of sense. Man I should fight that guy again. I'm planning on starting a skill/bloodtinge character so I can use the rakuyo but you get it sooooo late that it's basically a NG+ char at that point

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
it really owns. the l2 combo is better for fighting crowds than even the threaded cane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

When ludwig jumps in the air I never have any idea when he's going to come down. sometimes its after a second or so and other times he waits what seems like an eternity before flattening me.

He has two jumps. One which works with normal jump timing (I dunno how to explain this, but most jumps in BB follow the same delay on rolling. It's consistent enough across the game such that when I first fraught Ludwig, I was able to dodge his jump purely based on that timing) and the other has a big delay on it, but has a visual cue of blood dripping from the ceiling. The blood drips at even intervals, and Ludwig drops when the third blood drip would occur, so you can work out the timing based on that visual cue.

People in the (terrible) Games thread say there's an audio cue too, but I am too tone deaf to confirm that for myself. Hope that helps, couldn't imagine defeating Ludwig with a SL4 char myself.