Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Ceebees posted:

Also, re: boarding chat, was making boarding multiple ships per victory possible a thing in the base game these days, or part of a mod? I can't remember anymore, but i want it for Templar hunting.

As far as I can remember, it's part of SS+.

The problem you'll have is when you defeat a Templar ship in the Combat Layer, they almost always are destroyed (Through purposeful self destruct by the captain, is the lore). It will be very rare one survives to be looted, and again another % of rarity to attempt to board, let alone capture one.

I managed to capture one of the cruisers once, and it basically broke all game balance because I could field it, 2 Herons and a few fighter/bomber wings and then just roll against capitals and cruiser fleets of any size.

Be very, very careful when tracking down bosses in a game containing the Templar mod. I once had to kill the CEO or whatever of BRDY, and he somehow had one of the Templar cruisers in his already huge and impressive fleet.

Long story short, things did not go well for me, what with it rocketing around and firing off small bursts of tracking bolts that can slag an unshielded cruiser in seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh man. It's gonna be real lovely playing the FS2 Terran faction and woops my anti-fighter beams keep annihilating my own fighters.

That being said, given the fights in FS2, the faction should be all about as many things (fighters, flak rounds, lasers, missiles) flying in all directions as much as possible.

The TAG weapons from FS2 might actually be useful now.

Or the Morning-Star! Have your fighters launch enemy fighters at the enemy capital ships.

Edit: Do fighters take module damage in Starsector? The resupply ship should be able to fix that. Maybe change deployment screen abilities if possible to modify the fact that FS2 fighters have their own warp drives?

Edit: I haven't played in a long time. Do fighters still have prohibitive CR costs?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 10, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Artificer posted:

Oh man. It's gonna be real lovely playing the FS2 Terran faction and woops my anti-fighter beams keep annihilating my own fighters.

Good news, your weapons can no longer hit friendly fighters in Starsector. :)

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Artificer posted:

That being said, given the fights in FS2, the faction should be all about as many things (fighters, flak rounds, lasers, missiles) flying in all directions as much as possible.

Yes to all that.

quote:

The TAG weapons from FS2 might actually be useful now.

Good thought. I'm leaving specials like this until after everything else is done, though.

quote:

Or the Morning-Star! Have your fighters launch enemy fighters at the enemy capital ships.

Will probably put this on a bomber turret or something. Seems appropriate.

quote:

Edit: Do fighters take module damage in Starsector? The resupply ship should be able to fix that. Maybe change deployment screen abilities if possible to modify the fact that FS2 fighters have their own warp drives?

Yes. Flight decks fix all that stuff.

There's a "hyperdrive" setting for fighters. Not sure what it does yet.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Shortest Path posted:

I see it in at least half of all bounties, along with some regular pirates. It's not uncommon whatsoever, and pretty much impossible to kill in a wolf unless you grind out its combat effectiveness for half an hour.

I got rid of SS+ because that among plenty of other really questionable design decisions made the game not fun. Also SCY because it really hosed up the map and missions.

SS+ biggest selling point was the skills overhaul, but now that the skill tree is pretty balanced by default because of the removal of the various burn speed skills you don't really need it anymore. At least not enough to put up with crew salaries and the bonkers pirate fleet compositions (which are the perfect example of why pirates fly mostly (D) ships in vanilla - it sucks when they don't).

Stalkerr posted:

There's a "hyperdrive" setting for fighters. Not sure what it does yet.

Maybe a very long cooldown teleport special that pops the ship out a distance from the current target? 1.5-3k distance units would probably be fine depending on how long and true to Freespace the "drop out of warp" animation would be.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

SS+ biggest selling point has always been the ships, that was like the first feature it brought in.

Anyway all the complaints about the newest version are very much being taken into account and worked on right now. Same with Javelin MRMs. We're discussing ways to turn it into an anti-cruiser MRM instead of being a frig killer.

It was such a huge shitfest to even get SS+ working again after 0.7 that playtesting took a back seat. SS+ in its prior state existed to make an easy campaign harder and less predictable, which doesnt go well now that the game is inherently harder and less predictable, and all AI fleets have recieved massive buffs in the form of combat officers. Officers with missile skills are everywhere and overall give a much shorter time-to-kill and punish mistakes much harder.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 10, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I don't remember, but do fighters in Starsector get afterburners?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Artificer posted:

If you give them a ship system they will use it, so yeah you could mod in afterburners (or just give them a burn drive) if you wanted.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Artificer posted:

You can mod it in with ship systems. 3 brdy fighters have burst jets

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

If you look at the Silverfish's stats it has some seriously useful out-of-combat stats. Coupled with high survivability and utility in combat, I decided to give it middling CR stats.

Note that 20% per deployment is pretty standard.

Oh I understand that it is a solid freighter, it just seems odd that it takes such a long time to recover CR, seems a lot longer than any comparable ship, even the combat mod versions.

Most of the other midrange frigates and small freighters seem to hover around 10-15% CR per deployment and about 2-3 days to recover, while the silverfish takes 8.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 10, 2015

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

SS+ biggest selling point has always been the ships, that was like the first feature it brought in.

Not really, I forget where I first heard about it but it was always sold to me as an interesting skill rebalance and diversification of NPC loadouts. Later when Shaderlib came along, graphical improvement was added to the list of reasons one might want to check it out. Also, people liked the inclusion of NPC captains with player skills as a sort of stopgap measure for the promised officer system that has now been implemented in vanilla.

You know all about SS+ of course, I'm just telling you what it's looked like from the discussions on the mod consumer's side. The ships have always been a side feature mentioned in passing, like "oh yeah and there's a few vanilla variant ships bundled in if you want". Personally, I don't even like most of 'em.

I'm also in the 'no more need for SS+' boat. Most of its most important features are now better implemented in vanilla and while I love the shaderlib effects, I can live without them. It's actually been quite refreshing to play without all the tedious bullshit SS+ adds. Vanilla equipment actually already covers most of the bases that are needed in Starsector's combat system, and stuff like the Javelins are pretty indicative of the way SS+ often misses the mark- while one can make some sort of sperg numbers argument for how they're supposedly balanced, there's a good reason why there's nothing that fills their role in vanilla.

Then there's the rebalancing of market stuff to try to force you to micromanage supplies and fuel. Don't get me wrong, SS+ was preferable, warts and all, during some of Alex's more experimental past tweaks. But as vanilla comes together, there's increasingly little application for it, unless you're of like mind with the SS+ author in thinking the game needs to become some sort of roguelike.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 10, 2015

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
I'm not using SS+, so it may be different; but aren't Javelin MRMs part of Interstellar Imperium or is there another copy of the weapon specifically for SS+?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Galm posted:

I'm not using SS+, so it may be different; but aren't Javelin MRMs part of Interstellar Imperium or is there another copy of the weapon specifically for SS+?

I easily conflate the two because SS+ and Interstellar Imperium are made by the same guy, and as others have mentioned, there's a special interaction with them showing up in otherwise-vanilla loadouts thanks to SS+'s faction integration support for II.

It was just an example, it's not like Javelins are the end of the world. They don't really have a reason to exist, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe SS+ assigns them more freely than II does.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Oh I understand that it is a solid freighter, it just seems odd that it takes such a long time to recover CR, seems a lot longer than any comparable ship, even the combat mod versions.

Most of the other midrange frigates and small freighters seem to hover around 10-15% CR per deployment and about 2-3 days to recover, while the silverfish takes 8.

Hmm yeah you're completely right actually, checked now and I thought I had based those more closely on current vanilla stats, but it looks like I vastly underestimated how generous that stat is. I'm going to adjust them up quite a bit, same for the other brdy frigs (who also have very low ones)

Thanks for bringing it up.

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

Cathair posted:

I'm also in the 'no more need for SS+' boat. Most of its most important features are now better implemented in vanilla and while I love the shaderlib effects, I can live without them. It's actually been quite refreshing to play without all the tedious bullshit SS+ adds. Vanilla equipment actually already covers most of the bases that are needed in Starsector's combat system, and stuff like the Javelins are pretty indicative of the way SS+ often misses the mark- while one can make some sort of sperg numbers argument for how they're supposedly balanced, there's a good reason why there's nothing that fills their role in vanilla.

Then there's the rebalancing of market stuff to try to force you to micromanage supplies and fuel. Don't get me wrong, SS+ was preferable, warts and all, during some of Alex's more experimental past tweaks. But as vanilla comes together, there's increasingly little application for it, unless you're of like mind with the SS+ author in thinking the game needs to become some sort of roguelike.

After a couple of days playing with all the faction mods available I've shelved SS+ and a few others as well. SS+ for mostly the reasons you've mentioned, but also it got to a point where there were too many ship and weapons choices. There's already enough stuff in vanilla that's never worth using, and it gets even worse when you've got too many mods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hmm yeah you're completely right actually, checked now and I thought I had based those more closely on current vanilla stats, but it looks like I vastly underestimated how generous that stat is. I'm going to adjust them up quite a bit, same for the other brdy frigs (who also have very low ones)

Thanks for bringing it up.

No worries, honestly I thought there was just a misplaced decimal point or something. I noticed when I found my ship didn't seem to be recovering CR on its own much.

I mean the silverfish is a very good ship so it's not entirely unjustified but it is certainly a departure from vanilla.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
I actually really like the randomness and difficulty of the current SS+, it adds an element of attrition, desperation, and forces players to use suboptimal ships/weapons in a way that I haven't really experienced since the olden days of .62 with Uomoz' Sector's Voidwalker mode or whatever it was called. It certainly needs a lot of tweaking since it was shoved out the door as soon as possible(the economy is especially broken though that might be vanilla starsector with faction mods too), but it's pretty brilliant fun. I never actually made use of any (D) ships until now, and I'm using all sorts of weird lovely weapons I've salvaged.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

You can mod it in with ship systems. 3 brdy fighters have burst jets

Yeah, I'm planning for basically all fighters to have afterburners. Maybe not bombers, we'll see how that balances out.

In terms of the earlier question about Subspace, we'll see... I'd like to have some sort of nod at least to the Subspace entry/exit mechanic, but I don't want to kill compatibility with other mods or vanilla to do it. Like I said earlier, new special systems are going to wait until everything else is done.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:stare: Jesus gently caress the Neutrino Corp's Unsung Class. Regenerating armor (and also starts with 2000 armor!), six large universal mounts and a fuckload of medium and small mounts with good coverage, as well as some built in weapons. No real shield arc to speak of, though.

It cost me 1.9 mil at Prism Station and so far it's been worth every penny. The only things that really poo poo on it efficiently so far are large Templar fleets that can hit it with tons of Clarents.

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
Unsung's a special class boss ship.

You can also try the ORI mod The Iris class destroyer is obscene.
- 5 Medium Energy
- 7 Small Energy
- 2 Medium Missile.
- 6000 Flux
- 600 Vent
- 105 OP
- 300-arc 0.6 damage shield
- Burn Drive
- The non-missile mounts are 360-degree turrets.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fleaden has a cruiser that handles like a destroyer, burns 10, and has 3 large ballistics, a lot of medium ballistics and 2 medium missiles. And it has Fleaden's "positional mod" that's basically toggle Accelerated Ammo Feeds at a slight speed cost.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
All of Fleaden's ships are horribly ugly, though.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

OK, Freespace slashing beam weapon demo! :D

You can see here that all the beams are inheriting the same slashing calcs, rather than each using an independent slashing calculation for each beam. Not a super high priority for me to fix just yet. I may try just reducing the turret angles and see if that effectively fixes it, especially since it's only on a few ships... most ships just fire straight at the target.

That being said, it's still PWWWWHHAAAAAVVVVV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4SpRESwk3M

Stalkerr fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 10, 2015

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Should slashing beams have a emp damage boost? The upshot of them in freespace proper was they would often damage turrets and subsystems as they swiped. Anyway that looks drat good

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
So as someone found out on the Starsector forums, BRDY currently has a bug where the Blackrock Strike Suite hullmod sets weapon flux to 15% of normal, instead of reducing it by 15% as it's supposed to.

I have it on my Desdinovas and it's very silly. With practically no weapon flux I can shield-tank for days.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cathair posted:

I have to agree with you, I was really looking forward to SS+ updating but now that it's out I'm realizing that it just isn't fun and creates far more issues than it sets out to solve. Vanilla is really solid, fun, and deep now and its only real shortcoming, the lack of industry and politics, isn't something that SS+ fixes or aims to fix. SS+ is a very impressive mod with what is clearly a lot of work and love put into it, but it has been obsoleted much like Uomoz's Sector was back in the day.

It's not all pessimism though. A trend I've noticed in early access games is that in their more primitive stages they often lean on mods to add depth and variety, so it shows how much progress SS has made that a good number of players are going "oh hey, we don't need mods now to make the game interesting." SS+ going the way of the dodo might also be good for the mod community, as I get the feeling that SS+ has created a situation where many players dismiss mods entirely because they aren't SS+ integrated (it seems like whenever a new, well-developed mod shows up that half of the thread's comments will basically be "SS+ INTEGRATION WHEN???"). It might also do some good if mod developers don't feel compelled to conform to the very questionable SS+ style of balance.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Tarezax posted:

So as someone found out on the Starsector forums, BRDY currently has a bug where the Blackrock Strike Suite hullmod sets weapon flux to 15% of normal, instead of reducing it by 15% as it's supposed to.

I have it on my Desdinovas and it's very silly. With practically no weapon flux I can shield-tank for days.

Try it with a full shredder loadout and torpedoes. It is hilarious.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a "Ships Only" sub mod of SS+ we can use?

I really, really liked some o' those boats.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
421,000 credits to fix a smuggling investigation? Get hosed lady.

Investigations are bullshit.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

I have to agree with you, I was really looking forward to SS+ updating but now that it's out I'm realizing that it just isn't fun and creates far more issues than it sets out to solve. Vanilla is really solid, fun, and deep now and its only real shortcoming, the lack of industry and politics, isn't something that SS+ fixes or aims to fix. SS+ is a very impressive mod with what is clearly a lot of work and love put into it, but it has been obsoleted much like Uomoz's Sector was back in the day.

It's not all pessimism though. A trend I've noticed in early access games is that in their more primitive stages they often lean on mods to add depth and variety, so it shows how much progress SS has made that a good number of players are going "oh hey, we don't need mods now to make the game interesting." SS+ going the way of the dodo might also be good for the mod community, as I get the feeling that SS+ has created a situation where many players dismiss mods entirely because they aren't SS+ integrated (it seems like whenever a new, well-developed mod shows up that half of the thread's comments will basically be "SS+ INTEGRATION WHEN???"). It might also do some good if mod developers don't feel compelled to conform to the very questionable SS+ style of balance.

Reminding myself to quote this post in the future during another 14 month update winter

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

hmmm, yes, I'll get right on this delivery as well :jerkbag:

Missions can get hosed as well, why would anyone ever take this?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Well, the one big thing that SS+ does that nobody's mentioned yet is add several more star systems for factions to bonk each other over the head in. In that, at least, I don't think a 'glues the seams between the most popular faction mods' mod is going anywhere.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I just had the most interesting procurement request ever.

10,000 units of recreational drugs.

I want to be at that party.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

McGiggins posted:

Is there a "Ships Only" sub mod of SS+ we can use?

I really, really liked some o' those boats.

I miss Tore Up Plenty's upgraded wolves, lashers and vigilances. The kinetic Apogee and the Icarus/Daedalus frigate/destroyer pair of phase-shifting pew-pew were nice too.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

TUP had a lot of bloat but I miss that funky tailed orange science vessel thing (Vagabond?)

But what I miss most of all is Voidwalking from UsS, that was loving fun with the old boarding mechanics.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wish SS+ gave a few more options for ships and starting location.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, the game's technically not even out and already people are waxing nostalgic. :v:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
All those boats will be lost in space, like tears...in...rain.

Time to re-mod. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

421,000 credits to fix a smuggling investigation? Get hosed lady.

Investigations are bullshit.

According to a quick exchange with Alex, it sounds like there's some sort of bug with the upper limit for bribe amounts. It also sounds like he's doing something to make the whole gravity of investigations a bit more transparent to players.

Reminding myself to quote this post in the future during another 14 month update winter

I wasn't trying to insult you, Dark Revenant, or any of the other guys working on SS+, if that's what you got from my post (and I apologize if you did). Like I said, " SS+ is a very impressive mod with what is clearly a lot of work and love put into it." I just don't think that SS+ isn't "Starsector but better" anymore and that that's not necessarily a bad thing.