Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I spent five hours doing all the taxi stuff last night. I became the fastest uncle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

absolutely anything posted:

I spent five hours doing all the taxi stuff last night. I became the fastest uncle

You're a good person, with powerful feelings and an inner strength. I can tell from the Haruka-decal.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

What does it mean when the minimap pings red sometimes?

You've just entered minimap range of your story target.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Wow. I dare say the end fight to Kazuma's chapter just might outdo the tiger fight for most amount of badass in a Yakuza battle.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's really a shame this series isn't as popular as it should be, because these games are loving great.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Caitlin posted:

I'm almost done with them. I'm on the last two races (the last one I did was Wada) - how hard was the last race(s) for you/what kind of upgrades did you have on your taxi? I'm curious about how badly I'm hamstringing myself and still winning, really... I think my cab is currently Level 4 :v:

I think for the last race I had a MAX level taxi -which is level 6 - and I used Chasis B, Semi Racing tires, and Twin Turbo boost. It's 3 laps on the advanced loop and the other racer has the most bullshit rubberbanding so make sure you have a turbo boost for the final stretch.

VolticSurge posted:

So,any fishing tips? I just can't seem to get a bite no matter what bait I use.

If you're talking about river fishing, you can ignore most of the instructions that pop up before you start. Just watch for when the bobber dips down and then press X. All the gauges and reeling in, etc are for sea fishing.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I downloaded Yakuza 5, but when I start it up, my ps3 stops outputting a video signal. It's still running, from the sounds I get when I play with the controller it seems like I'm still in a menu on the PS dashboard, but there's no video signal and I have to turn the ps3 off and back on again to get any sort of video output.

Other digital games work fine. Anybody had this problem, or know of a solution?

edit: I'm deleting and redownloading; hopefully a new install will fix it somehow?

Coca Koala fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 10, 2015

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Are you supposed to race the Spangled Meteor when the lady first shows up at your work? I tried it and got completely smoked, despite not having any problems with the other race or taxi missions. I'm kind of assuming you need some upgrades. On that note, what unlocks additional upgrades for your taxi, just driver level?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

moller posted:

Are you supposed to race the Spangled Meteor when the lady first shows up at your work? I tried it and got completely smoked, despite not having any problems with the other race or taxi missions. I'm kind of assuming you need some upgrades. On that note, what unlocks additional upgrades for your taxi, just driver level?

How much are you drifting? The Spangled Meteor is difficult to pass, but doesn't rubberband quite as much as the other racers, I felt, so once you get ahead, you should be able to keep it that way with some drift boosts. My taxi was level 3 when I did it and I made sure to save my proper boost for the final stretch just in case.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I managed to beat Spangled Meteor without upgrading my taxi or even realizing upgrading your taxi was a thing. Just gotta drift, use boost wisely and save your heat actions for the final lap.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

moller posted:

Yeah, if you haven't upgraded at all that could be a tough race. Also, I think she's the first real "90s arcade racer bullshit" cheater in that no matter what you do, she'll always be right there at the final stretch. If you don't have the turbo upgraded you won't have time to build up two boosts, so just hang on to the first one you get for the whole race. Save the Heat segments for the second lap, then use the turbo as you're approaching the finish.

I'm not sure what level unlocks what since I did a bunch of race and taxi missions all at once.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Also once you get Chasis B and, I think, the Semi Racing tires you don't even have to drift at all for the races.

I can never drift in racing games, but I got through all the racing missions just fine without it. Even completely screwing up that sharp loop in the advanced segment I'd still be way ahead of the other driver just by taking curves outside to inside lane. There's only a couple you really need to slow down for where drifting would help at all.

It's all about the final straightaway before the finish and when to use your turbo boost, unfortunately.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Static Rook posted:

I think for the last race I had a MAX level taxi -which is level 6 - and I used Chasis B, Semi Racing tires, and Twin Turbo boost. It's 3 laps on the advanced loop and the other racer has the most bullshit rubberbanding so make sure you have a turbo boost for the final stretch.

Oh, I thought the MAX level was higher than that, so got it - I'm still using chassis B and semi racing tires, just need the twin turbo boost really. The rubberbanding on everyone else was pretty much bullshit in the last few races so I always learned to not touch the heat action for the last stretch and also to keep a turbo boost too. I do plenty of drifting anyway because it :feelsgood:

I managed to beat Spangled Meteor without upgrading my taxi or even realizing upgrading your taxi was a thing. Just gotta drift, use boost wisely and save your heat actions for the final lap.

Yeah this is really solid advice that you will just need to have in general.

Static Rook posted:

It's all about the final straightaway before the finish and when to use your turbo boost, unfortunately.

new players, take this statement TO HEART.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
Man, I really wish I didn't start on normal. Every fight is way too easy but I don't want to replay the 11 hours I already put into the game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Raften posted:

Man, I really wish I didn't start on normal. Every fight is way too easy but I don't want to replay the 11 hours I already put into the game.

Hard generally just makes enemies into unfun damage sponges, especially later on. Just soak in the ambience while you wreck fools.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Captain Novolin posted:

How much are you drifting? The Spangled Meteor is difficult to pass, but doesn't rubberband quite as much as the other racers, I felt, so once you get ahead, you should be able to keep it that way with some drift boosts. My taxi was level 3 when I did it and I made sure to save my proper boost for the final stretch just in case.

I think I must have mashed past a tutorial screen, because I have been drifting not at all. I suppose it makes sense why it seemed so impossible, I had been braking for every turn.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
There was no tutorial, it's just in the controls. Like if you pause it tells ya right there.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

moller posted:

I think I must have mashed past a tutorial screen, because I have been drifting not at all. I suppose it makes sense why it seemed so impossible, I had been braking for every turn.

The braking is probably most of your issue, you should be able to take em all without letting off on the gas. Drifting just gives you a little boost which is handy now and then, but it's super weird to control.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Coca Koala posted:

I downloaded Yakuza 5, but when I start it up, my ps3 stops outputting a video signal. It's still running, from the sounds I get when I play with the controller it seems like I'm still in a menu on the PS dashboard, but there's no video signal and I have to turn the ps3 off and back on again to get any sort of video output.

Other digital games work fine. Anybody had this problem, or know of a solution?

edit: I'm deleting and redownloading; hopefully a new install will fix it somehow?

Any luck? That sucks.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

are the garbage pickups randomized or should I be looking in specific spots to max my rank?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

are the garbage pickups randomized or should I be looking in specific spots to max my rank?

The spots are set, but if there's something there is random. I find there's usually something good at the combat trainer.

It's also super easy to max out, so don't worry too hard about it. I've barely played and just grabbed whatever I ran across and am halfway to s

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Chilling with customers, dropping truth bombs and life advice. This Taxi stuff is great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Garbage also comes back over (real?) time.

Man I don't want to rush things but I really wanna get to playing... anyone but Kiryu. Nothing wrong with Kiryu, but... Akiyama, Haruka dance battles, New Guy, and loving Saejima are all waiting?! UGH.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

How do you use climax moves, by the way? I've had that meter full for hours and i occasionally get the prompt for a split second mid combat but the way i looked up where you just face someone and press triangle has given me no results.

edit: oh I'm an idiot, I had to be locked on.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 10, 2015

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

finally got done with kaz's part

this game rules

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Zaggitz posted:

Already answered, but there's that small parking lot kind of in the middle of the map - maybe near "West" restaurant? - that always had two or three pieces when I looked. Even if I only went into a store and came back there was always at least one.

Also, general reminder for everyone: There's a manual you can access by hitting the PS button while playing the game. Has some helpful basic info and a short story summary. There's also the Notebook in-game where you can check all your abilities and stuff.

EDIT

Oh yeah, everybody check your "Download History" from the Main Menu -> Downloaded Content option. We get a bunch of cool stuff to use in Premium mode.

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 10, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I head they had to cut some music like usual, so anyone know if there's any interesting tracks in particular that are gone?

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

If they cut Vendor Pop because of the Public Enemy samples I'm going to be legit upset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUgllSsu5Y8

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Oldstench posted:

Any luck? That sucks.

Yeah, I got it figured out late last night. The PS3 is plugged into a signal splitter that does some upscaling and processing on the signal, which allows me to switch between outputting to the TV or outputting to a projector. Apparently, Yakuza 5 is running in some slightly funky resolution that the splitter couldn't recognize, and so it was dropping the signal. Bypassed the splitter, and then spend an hour watching the intro movie and going drinking with my boss. Good times.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Man this is Initial D as gently caress, although I don't think the series got that crazy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Maybe it's just because I had to go so long without this series, but I'm pretty sure the 1-2 punch of the fight at the end of Kiryu's chapter he casually dodges heat seeking missiles??! followed by the glory of Saejima's karaoke interjections on an imaginary date easily bumps this up to the top of the list as far as Yakuza games go. I can't believe we almost lived in a world where this never came out in the US. Gio Corsi is a goddamn hero.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 10, 2015

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Crappy Jack posted:

I can't believe we almost lived in a world where this never came out in the US. Gio Corsi is a goddamn hero.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just waiting for the inevitable cancellation of the localization of 0 due to poor sales of 5.

:(

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

precision posted:

I'm just waiting for the inevitable cancellation of the localization of 0 due to poor sales of 5.

:(

Yakuza was trending on twitter for almost a full day and a half. I don't know if it's selling AMAZINGLY well, but I don't think sales are going to be bad.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Caitlin posted:

Yakuza was trending on twitter for almost a full day and a half. I don't know if it's selling AMAZINGLY well, but I don't think sales are going to be bad.

Add to that, no way would Yakuza 0 be announced if the pre-sales didn't impress the hell out of Sony.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
this is the worst port of Crazy Taxi I've ever played :\

nevermind i just found the part where you have racing heat actions this is the best.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 10, 2015

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Kiryu KazumaTaichi Suzuki, Responsible Taxi Driver is probably one of my favorite things to do in a game in a long time. Not only being able to use turn signals, but being rewarded for doing so, brings me a joy I can't properly describe.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would play an entire game of Sane Taxi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

So am I mistaken, or is this the first Yakuza game where (first chapter Saejima spoilers) none of the playable characters are technically Yakuza? Kiryu is retired, Saejima gets kicked out while he's in jail (although how official that is, I'm not sure at the moment), and the other three were never in the life in the first place.

• Locked thread