Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

jonathan posted:

Hey guys, I need a commuter car for work and trips to the coast. I sold my other one and my truck is supposed to be for vacations only.

lexus for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Someone recommend me a decent set of 3/8ths drive hex head sockets. Dad said he wanted a set of Snap-On hex sockets for Christmas, because he's sick of his Craftsman ones slipping and rounding out bolts. And then I saw how much a 10pc Snap-On set costs. :stonk:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've never had problems with Craftsman rounding off bolts, I wouldn't pay the premium for SnapOn unless I depended on my tools for a living.

There's nothing wrong with Craftsman.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Could be his sockets are 12-pt, or he's doing poo poo like using standard sockets on metric hardware. Or both.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mariooncrack posted:

That's quite a range of different cars. You list some RWD cars in the list after saying RWD won't cut it. Why? Do you have a budget? I'd avoid the Caddy if the dealer is shady. It shouldn't be an option. Do you know how much it can cost for repairs on a Merc?

Sorry if this post seems a bit frazzled, just my thoughts looking over the list.

I specifically said "Unwise", doesn't mean it's ruled out !

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

If you want a lightweight track car go buy a lotus or atom, not an RX.

WTF? An RX is a drat near perfect lightweight track car. If anything it's better given driving to the track tends to be a better experience and you dotn need to tow it.

Guess what my day has been about?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3114409

gently caress YOU MICROSOFT

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

lexus for sure.

Tell me more. I've never been in a lexus. Will I arrive after an 11 hour drive feeling worse or better than my Rubicon ? Because that thing was roomy but at the end of the day I felt like I'd been tasered.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

WTF? An RX is a drat near perfect lightweight track car. If anything it's better given driving to the track tends to be a better experience and you dotn need to tow it.

They're loving knocking it out of the park lately. 3097877 was a shitfest too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

quote:

Adds administrative support to prevent Outlook 2010 from booting into safe mode.

quote:

Notice
After you install this update, Outlook 2010 may start only in safe mode.

lol

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

I've never had problems with Craftsman rounding off bolts, I wouldn't pay the premium for SnapOn unless I depended on my tools for a living.

There's nothing wrong with Craftsman.

I've had MUCH better luck lately with Husky and whatever Loews' brand is. All of the Craftsman stuff is fine until real torque needs to be applied, it seems.

Including the ratchets.

Also note this only applies to stuff purchased in the last ten years. I still have some of my dad's craftsman stuff from the 80s and older that is god drat amazing and I would put up against Snap On.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

jonathan posted:

Tell me more. I've never been in a lexus. Will I arrive after an 11 hour drive feeling worse or better than my Rubicon ? Because that thing was roomy but at the end of the day I felt like I'd been tasered.

Well its a luxury sedan without German engineering. It will be an incredible ride (comfortable) but overall it might be "boring" the reason I say go for it is reliability bar none. It really would be a perfect long haul/highway car and if it was rwd you can have some fun.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

T-Square posted:

Someone recommend me a decent set of 3/8ths drive hex head sockets. Dad said he wanted a set of Snap-On hex sockets for Christmas, because he's sick of his Craftsman ones slipping and rounding out bolts. And then I saw how much a 10pc Snap-On set costs. :stonk:

You might have better luck in the Tools thread, but I've been happy with my Proto sockets (and Blackhawk by Proto). Made in USA, lifetime warranty, fit and finish has been pretty good. Prices are reasonable compared to Snap-On, but I haven't really had much exposure to newer snappy stuff.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Raluek posted:

You might have better luck in the Tools thread, but I've been happy with my Proto sockets (and Blackhawk by Proto). Made in USA, lifetime warranty, fit and finish has been pretty good. Prices are reasonable compared to Snap-On, but I haven't really had much exposure to newer snappy stuff.

We use Proto and Snap On at work.

Proto poo poo never needs replaced. And I've seen some E3 and below do some DUMB poo poo with tools.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Attempted to start car after work, dead battery. I've had a Subaru for two days now I've already fallen victim to that stupid parking light switch. After i got a jump I couldnt figure out how to get the drat parking lights to turn off, then i remebered reading about that goofy switch on the steering column. I don't even know how I turned it on. Why is it even there?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So that you can leave your broken down car on the side of the road in the dark and it will be visible. Useful feature on a subaru.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Oh duck

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh gently caress, glad I'm not the only one who got an email about this today

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmd22MOx2BM

buy the lexus :v:

Parking lights are neat. Mum's mini engages them by leaving the indicator stalk in L/R with the key off, which is somewhat inconvenient.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I feel like I should probably just shell out for a ring job on the Mazda pickup and maybe get some new tires rather than selling it, but on the other hand I kinda want to get that Volvo 164 that's really cheap on Craigslist... gently caress, why can't I just have a lot of money and a really big garage?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Pham Nuwen posted:

I feel like I should probably just shell out for a ring job on the Mazda pickup and maybe get some new tires rather than selling it, but on the other hand I kinda want to get that Volvo 164 that's really cheap on Craigslist... gently caress, why can't I just have a lot of money and a really big garage?

Parts for 164s are getting scarce and the autos are known to just poo poo the bed randomly. Manual cars are super rare.

I thought you said it was the head gasket on your truck? A top end gasket set is cheap, and it'd be a day at most to fix it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

I've had MUCH better luck lately with Husky and whatever Loews' brand is. All of the Craftsman stuff is fine until real torque needs to be applied, it seems.

Including the ratchets.

Also note this only applies to stuff purchased in the last ten years. I still have some of my dad's craftsman stuff from the 80s and older that is god drat amazing and I would put up against Snap On.

Yeah I have some old Craftsman wrenches and they are right up there with snap on.

When I need to apply torque I used my cordless impact tho :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My cat Julius just suddenly died in front of me. He was only a year and a half old.

Please hug your loved ones tonight, folks. I wish I had gotten one more chance.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My cat Julius just suddenly died in front of me. He was only a year and a half old.

:glomp:

sorry buddy :(

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

What? Holy poo poo, how? That's awful :( So sorry.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

drat. Any idea why?

:glomp: Sorry man.

iwentdoodie posted:

Lowe's is Kobalt.

I've had the same Kobalt set for 4 or 5 years. The ratchet is pretty worn out, but I've smashed hammers into it trying to break bolts loose. Can't believe it hasn't broken yet.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

iwentdoodie posted:

I still have some of my dad's craftsman stuff from the 80s and older that is god drat amazing and I would put up against Snap On.

leica posted:

old Craftsman wrenches and they are right up there with snap on.

Most of my ratchet/wrench/screwdriver stuff is old Craftsman, late '80s/early '90s. loving unreal in the abuse that they have taken. In particular the 1/2" socket wrench, which has seen ungodly force, being the primary torque-applying device for big bolts that I use (and I don't hesitate to get out the 3' pipe to really crank on poo poo).

Both of my 3/8" ratchets are wonky now, missing/skipping and stuff, but I don't want to turn them in, they'll just get crap modern internals and give me a big sad. Also, I've got a dozen screwdrivers that are worn out/broken that I need to swap out, too, but again... modern crap. The sockets, both 6 and 12 point, seem to be loving indestructable.

I'm sorry, that's loving harsh.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

I know I already said this on IRC but just... wow, man :( losing a pet is the worst, especially when it's sudden :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I had to back off the boost controller a bit. Between the front tyres screaming in protest the entire way through 2nd gear and the slamming into the fuel cut at 16.5psi repeatedly it was a bit hard to deal with.

Fun tho!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

I had to back off the boost controller a bit. Between the front tyres screaming in protest the entire way through 2nd gear and the slamming into the fuel cut at 16.5psi repeatedly it was a bit hard to deal with.

Fun tho!

Are you aware that there are throttle positions between "idle" and "WFO"?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Raluek posted:

Wait... what? :psyduck:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So is there a Ben & Jerry's flavor with Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal in it? Because I had a dream last night that I "invented" it and it was delicious.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm so sorry :glomp: We lost one at only four years old and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with so far.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

poo poo man, sorry :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So is there a Ben & Jerry's flavor with Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal in it? Because I had a dream last night that I "invented" it and it was delicious.

Do you dream a lot more when not smoking? I quit like a month ago and I have sooooo many now when I never used to. I had the most surreal, insane one this morning right before I got up. It was so crazy Im going to be thinking about it all day.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yessir. When I smoke weed I never ever remember my dreams. Not smoking, I wake up every morning and remember a bunch of crazy rear end dreams I had that night. It is pretty cool actually.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Raluek posted:

Yes, it's called "in the process of lifting, you pussy"

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Raluek posted:

its a 3.5T diesel truck. Throttle is either "Idle" or "Mat it to keep up with traffic" :colbert:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

its a 3.5T diesel truck. Throttle is either "Idle" or "Mat it to keep up with traffic" :colbert:

I thought diesels were supposed to have a bunch of torque. :colbert:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Raluek posted:

I thought diesels were supposed to have a bunch of torque. :colbert:

Needs an ls swap

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Needs an ls swap

Um, only if he wants to get 5mpg and lose all ability to tow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sorry to hear that, dude. Losing pets is loving awful...

• Locked thread