Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I hoping that crafting fills some of the holes too. Like I'd dump 50M into a bespoke Yooge, Luxurious Orca FSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Is a Type-6 with 88 cargo capacaity viable for the Robigo money faucet? My trade rank is merchant and I've got $8.5 million to buy cargo with.

Absolutely. I made about $15m off of 60 odd cargo space in my $2m type 6. Only run I've done so far but what a payday.

With that kind of return you'd be silly not to spend a bit of cash and make a run or two before horizons.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Is Arexe still the best place to grind Fed ranks?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is Arexe still the best place to grind Fed ranks?

There is nowhere to 'grind' ranks. There are no ranks any more.

Both the Empire and Federation have shut down all promotions due to being excessively top-heavy. Or something.

Sure seems that way anyway - I'm 3% shy of being an Elite trader (smuggler, really) thanks to running missions for everyone everywhere, donating all the credits to any aligned faction...and still gently caress all.

And they expect me to be a frigging Duke just for the privilege of spending all that hard-earned money on a new ship? All the more annoying since it's 'only' the next rank up from Marquis.

Being serious, assuming the general belief that combat missions give better rank progression is true, I have found Kui 11 to be the best bet - lots of Fed factions, all dishing out kill pirate missions in the same system next door.

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

xiansi posted:

Being serious, assuming the general belief that combat missions give better rank progression is true, I have found Kui 11 to be the best bet - lots of Fed factions, all dishing out kill pirate missions in the same system next door.

Arexe is exactly like that, with the added benefit of the system all the missions point to being an anarchy. You can take missions to kill civilians without worrying about the law, and there's a HIRES in Orrere that will satisfy all your pirate and innocent bystander needs. All that being said, ranks still don't come quick. I'm grinding out my last rank in 17 Draconis.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So decided to do the robigo run. Got 30M-ish worth of missions, got to the first station, got in front of the mailslot, set to autodock aaaaand it boosts me into a wall killing me instantly. gently caress this game

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Arrath posted:

Absolutely. I made about $15m off of 60 odd cargo space in my $2m type 6. Only run I've done so far but what a payday.

With that kind of return you'd be silly not to spend a bit of cash and make a run or two before horizons.

Well poo poo, I'm 17 (lol 400ly) jumps out. What all is involved with Robigo shenanigans?

Edit:

Uh, it seems I can't make the run as I run out of fuel and there aren't any stars I can eat on the way out. What the hell? I'm going from Xihe to Robigo.

Just need to do some minor rerouting :downs:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 10, 2015

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

That moon rover footage was sweet but idk about spending $60 dollars on this game will draw me back in.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

What happens if your ship is destroyed while you're in an SRV?

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Luneshot posted:

The game ends. Like completely. Forever for you.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Beastie posted:

That moon rover footage was sweet but idk about spending $60 dollars on this game will draw me back in.

'kay

please keep us updated tia

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Naturally Selected posted:

So decided to do the robigo run. Got 30M-ish worth of missions, got to the first station, got in front of the mailslot, set to autodock aaaaand it boosts me into a wall killing me instantly. gently caress this game

I've been doing nothing but autodock (except when smuggling) for some time and never had trouble with it in my Asp, iCourier, Vulture, or Python. Sucks that you got unlucky.

Did you trigger it literally a few hundred meters from the slot? I usually just activate it right after requesting docking permission ~7km out and it does a fine job boosting in from any facing.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Beastie posted:

Well it should be more like $45 for you, if you already own the base game. Loyalty discount.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I spent an hour or two tonight trying to grind from baron up to duke. From what I can tell, that would take 12+ hours. I guess I will never see a Cutter.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

xiansi posted:

*exploring in an Anaconda is painful, and a piss-poor reward for the effort it takes to afford it.

why on earth would you do this

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

HiroProtagonist posted:

why on earth would you do this
It's got the best jump range in the game and I think it's the only ship you can currently use to traverse the gap between the galactic arms if you travelling around the edge. Pity about the godawful handling in supercruise, though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Luneshot posted:

Your ship is invincible when you are outside of it, even if it's sitting on the ground.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Mercurius posted:

It's got the best jump range in the game and I think it's the only ship you can currently use to traverse the gap between the galactic arms if you travelling around the edge. Pity about the godawful handling in supercruise, though.

Doesn't the Asp Explorer have a higher jump range?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

sincx posted:

Doesn't the Asp Explorer have a higher jump range?

Nope, you can gimmick build an Anaconda up to a max range of just over 41 to the Asp's 38.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

HiroProtagonist posted:

Huh. Already killed one and saw absolutely no mission target sign. I'll keep an eye out for it though. Thanks.

The thing about the mission target text, its main distinguishing feature, is that it's black.

And the thing about space, the colour of space, your basic space colour, is that it's black.

Bonus points for the getting the reference

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Is that a bug in 1.4 or something? I could've sworn it used to be red when I first started.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Yeah it's a bug. In my opinion, the funniest one.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Libluini posted:

Woah, really? I don't know why, but I'm not sure if I should point my finger and laugh at this.

Eh, let's let him have his Jita, he paid for it after all.

i didn't pay for it but i used to roll with Valhalla doing incursions on eve....

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Huh. Already killed one and saw absolutely no mission target sign. I'll keep an eye out for it though. Thanks.
Another thing, in the contact menu where you see your target's details there will be a notes section on the bottom that appears blank. For me this section only appears when said target is a mission target and while the "Mission Target" text is just as black, the notes box isn't!

I found it quite handy.

Also space sure is pretty.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

DarthBlingBling posted:

And the thing about space, the colour of space, your basic space colour, is that it's black.

A white hole?

edit: To keep my post on topic, was there an explanation a whole back which I can't find on how I should fly the FDL? Like I assume it's not one that's great at flying sideways to stay pointing at targets, or an I just a crappy pilot?

legooolas fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 10, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mercurius posted:

No, the Asp is perfectly fine for travelling between the gaps. I did this multiple times in my Asp and I only had a jump range of like 35 (thanks to me being paranoid and rolling with double heat-sinks and other poo poo). It's sometimes harrowing, but doable.

And seriously, with the way Frontier has upped the number of NPCs interdicting you, no way in hell would I put myself in an Anaconda min-maxed to the point of highest jump range, that's just unhealthy for your mind. And when you put in some kind of survival-kit to get away more easier from nasty encounters, the jump range drops to just above Asp-level, at which point you really don't have to bother anymore.

legooolas posted:

A white hole?

Those sadly don't exist.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Libluini posted:

And seriously, with the way Frontier has upped the number of NPCs interdicting you,.

You still get interdicted when you go exploring in the deep void of space?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

You still get interdicted when you go exploring in the deep void of space?

No, but you'll never get any money if you never come back

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
So how often do these community goal things come around? Making 5 million spacebucks for turning in 40 system reports was pretty helpful, especially since I am basically at the Galactic Hobo level of funds.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

ChickenMedium posted:

So how often do these community goal things come around? Making 5 million spacebucks for turning in 40 system reports was pretty helpful, especially since I am basically at the Galactic Hobo level of funds.

There are, I think, two a week?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ChickenMedium posted:

Cripes, they pay out that well? I should maybe go on a road trip next time I log in :stare:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
They're not all explorer based btw

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

Quite the opposite, really

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Hey, what are your thoughts on this vulture build? Primarily this would be used to shoot pirates while ranking up federation so I can buy a FAS. I've only ever flown a cobra and an Asp though so I'm no expert! Is this a dumb overpriced hunk of metal or will this tear poo poo up?

I built it with the changes to hull reinforcement and shield cell banks in mind. Also, set up the power distribution so the shield boosters turn off while kill warrant scanning and on while lasering. Thoughts?

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/44A5A4A3D5A4D3C1e1e0j0400054a2b272525.AwRj-UPI.AwhMIkEZhyg=

forkbucket fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 10, 2015

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

DarthBlingBling posted:

What about rank progress? Do they have any significant our mentionable effect on whichever one is applicable?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

KakerMix posted:

Your ship is invincible when you are outside of it, even if it's sitting on the ground.

So much for my ultimate griefing idea of stranding people on planets

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

HiroProtagonist posted:

What about rank progress? Do they have any significant our mentionable effect on whichever one is applicable?

Not really no, as rank progression comes from doing missions. There may be some possible cross over tho

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I was trying to build up this viper loadout: http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/03D3D3D2D3D3D2C1b1b24240m0042592o-.AwRj4yyA.AwhMIyQRnI== but the power numbers don't match up with the in game power numbers. I don't even have the fuel scoop equipped and I'm at 7.99MW retracted and 10.33 deployed where the shipbuilder says I should be lower than that. I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Are the ship builder numbers out of date?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

DarthBlingBling posted:

Not really no, as rank progression comes from doing missions. There may be some possible cross over tho

Good to know. I'll probably try one out at some point just for the hell of it and see for myself.

With a fully kitted Asp and Vulture, I'm thinking my next target is going to be a fairly combat-oriented iClipper. Could some more knowledgeable people take a look at this build and tell me if I'm being dumb and/or about to waste a shitload of time on something garbage?

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/16A6A5A5D6A5C4C2b2b1b1b020l04044f5n035d292t6b2f.Iw18aQ==.CwBhCYEZpa88VKxAZnCIA===?bn=iClip

In particular, the jump range looks a little skimpy, but it's about on par with my vulture, so I don't know if it's really too terrible if I'm going to be killing things most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, for you beta-havers, what happens when you get killed in your SRV? Load screen and back to the ship?

And if you only have 1 SRV in storage because you only have a size-2 hangar, it's back to a station to buy a new one? That could be kind of a hassle on exploring trips, especially outside the bubble. Not everybody wants to forgo the size 5 or 6 slot in their Asp (because basically only the Asp has room for SRVs while still on an explorer fit), 'specially when you need a big fuel scoop and probably shields if the Thargoids are ever to come.

• Locked thread