Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The Leshen was right next to the vampire, was that not suppose to happen then?

Yeah, that is actually really weird. And kind of hilarious.

I hope you took a screencap with the caption "OH gently caress"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, welp. I feel like I'm seeing more bugs in W3 than in W2. I was able to kill the vampire and get the stuff and that's what counts though, I guess. I got two pieces of the set crafted already too! It's sort of a pain running around figuring out which smiths can make what.

Until the top sets (level 30-ish), Oxenfurt will do you well.
(unless you mean general armorer vs blacksmith, yeah that tiny but can get annoying)

If you're far enough in the barons quest, you'll have been there.
After that scattered throughout novigrad some people can make it, but oxenfurt is more convenient imo.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah Leshen are one of the scarier and better visually designed monsters in the game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm hoping I can find a save file at Velen

I just got a 980ti I want to try but there is no way I'm redoing the first part of the game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Haha, I should've if I had been thinking about it.

quote:

Until the top sets (level 30-ish), Oxenfurt will do you well.
(unless you mean general armorer vs blacksmith, yeah that tiny but can get annoying)

Haven't found it yet but if it's along the Baron's quest stuff I'll see it sooner or later, thanks. I meant both armorer and blacksmith and their levels though.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Yeah the armorer and blacksmiths in oxenfort can pretty much craft for most of if not all the game.(super biased though, I love the towns music). They are journeymen. A few sets require masters but you bump into their quests way before you need either. (and can actually complete both their quests before you need them as well)

If you've seen the baron one of the quests is in his town (armorer) but won't be done for a while.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 10, 2015

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Stop bitching about hard fights in the gen game bitches, win them or commit real-life suicide. Ahh the thingy with the thingy is so hard.

I only respect folks that beat the CareTaker.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Supreme Allah posted:

Stop bitching about hard fights in the gen game bitches, win them or commit real-life suicide. Ahh the thingy with the thingy is so hard.

Doing Whirl with his hosed up shovel on some cowardly deserters was fun

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Supreme Allah posted:

That was a fun boss fight after the fact when I realized I wasn't doing anything wrong and they really expected you to basically kill him three times while taking no damage.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

RBA Starblade posted:

Pretty hefty gently caress you of CDPR to call the Griffin quest level 11 then put a level 21 boss in there (I'm level 6 and every other enemy in the tomb is level 7). Thanks for wasting my time, I guess.

This happened to me as well; had to reload once before finally beating the vampire there and just as I was about to loot it, that loving thing jumps me, breaks my shield with those roots and starts hissing at me. I panicked, died, reloaded and never got back to that Cave.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

The city looks ridiculous but you just know there's a vast cave system in that big mountain, full of stuff that needs to be killed, crawling around in the dark, mainly minding their own business. Assholes.

WHAT NOW! :mad:

...you piece of filth :smuggo:

I wish they could just do twenty hours of wedding-style content. Just Geralt hanging out with his buds in Disneyland, chillin'.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Terrible Horse posted:

So there is the Sign build, then the one I went for (whirl + quen); what other builds are there? I'd like to explore something different for a New Game +. If you go alchemy, do you just get super powerful oils? and then dont you still need to hit the thing with your sword, so would need to pump points into combat anyway?
There was an absolutely amazing bomb build that I finished the game with where you would just throw a bomb that would split into 6 bombs and you had like 10 ammo for every bomb and each of them did additional damage and I would just carpet bomb whole rooms and it owned. CDPR nerfed it when the expansion came out though and now that whole branch of the alchemy tree is useless :(. I really don't get it, all they did was remove variety from the game.

The same goes for the crossbow branch that was never useful in the first place and when you couple it with special bolts and unique/set crossbows where all of it is also useless I don't even understand why any of it is in the game. You could have just a basic crossbow, no skills, no bolts and the effect would be absolutely the same. The last crossbow skills should really be making a difference and make it powerful so if somebody invested in it they could use it.

But again I have a feeling that CDPR only wants people to play the game in those couple of 'proper' ways and anything interesting that is different than those was an accident or a left-over system that never got properly tested and gets simply removed in patches.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Happened to me too, I think the cave is within the leshen's teleport radius from where it spawns. I had to drag it out of the cave and run it in a big circle before I could clear the cave out.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I remember fighting a Wyvern with a skull near a tower for my first Griffon set. Took a little patience, but I got him down and won. In fact, some of my favorite fights in W3 were when I went after a boss that I was supposed to not fight at all and won.

Igni is your friend. Igni, slash them the gently caress open as they're on fire. Easy peasy.

My build in the end was like:

ALL quick attack buffs
ALL quick strong attack buffs
Mind Trick, Tiers 1 &2 Igni
Tolerance

Boom.

I use griffin gear with that because dat sign intensity. Also gently caress Cat School.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Pellisworth posted:

One of the major recurring themes of the Witcher game is Geralt trying to do the "right" thing but really he's just one small player involved in politics way over his head. Most of the time you think you're doing a noble, well-intentioned thing it will later be revealed your decisions resulted in something terrible and depressing. A good example is with the tree-heart spirit you just encountered:

The tree spirit is implied to somehow be the "mother" of the Crones who they imprisoned. Maybe it's a good spirit, but it sure didn't seem to be benevolent to me.

If you kill the spirit as the Crones request, the Crones eat the orphans but merely drive Anna Strenger (Baron's wife) insane, so the end result is the Baron decides to take her to a healer and swear off alcohol.
If you release the spirit, it will genocide Downwarren (the swamp village full of Crone-worshippers) but save the orphans. You can later find the orphans were transported to a school in Novigrad. However, doing this pisses of the Crones and Anna gets killed, driving the Bloody Baron to hang himself.

Like, there's really no "good" ending there.

Things resolve slightly differently if you Free the tree spirit before getting told to do it. The villagers still get murdered (they were jerks anyway), the kids disappear and still wind up at that schoolhouse somehow, and Anna stays alive and goes with the Baron.

Not quite sunshine and puppies, but maybe the least worst?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Just starting 3 after finishing 1 and 2. Any special tricks I should do starting off, like finding the assassin in 2's prologue?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just starting 3 after finishing 1 and 2. Any special tricks I should do starting off, like finding the assassin in 2's prologue?

enjoy an excellent game, is my recommended witcher 3 trick

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Any special tricks I should do starting off, like finding the assassin in 2's prologue?

No miss-able stuff like this in W3 as far as I know.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

It's almost impossible to lock yourself out of content or finding cool stuff. The only time that really happens is 2/3 through the main quest where you'll get a huge explicit warning to finish a few main-character related side quests because poo poo is about to go down.

Based on the last few pages and new players posting, make sure to play around with all the various Witcher tools (bombs, Signs, potions, crossbow) in the White Orchard tutorial area. Coming off of Witcher 2 you shouldn't have much trouble with the combat but stay mobile and use all your dirty tricks.

Other assorted stuff:

-All your alchemy items only need to be crafted once, you then get an item with a few charges. Meditating refills all alchemy item charges for the cost of one unit of hard alcohol. So go nuts with your "consumables" as they're very easy to replenish.
-Meditate to heal. On the two higher difficulty settings, meditate doesn't heal so consider investing in the Sun and Stars ability which gives passive healing during daylight. Saves eating a ton of food.
-Abilities don't do anything unless actively slotted, and you're very limited on slots. Yeah, the leveling and ability spec system is kinda dumb.
-Mostly avoid using the target-lock feature and just point Geralt towards baddies, push button for sword/Sign/bombs. This works much better.
-By default Geralt has inertia and doesn't stop or turn on a dime, enabling the alternate movement mode in options changes this and for many players it feels more responsive.
-Loot stuff and sell it. There are very few things worth hoarding, and you'll be more strapped for cash early game than needing to farm materials.
-99% of the time if you are having trouble with a fight you are either underleveled or not using the right strategy, consult your Bestiary or come back later. Gear and spec are not worth powergaming, do what seems cool.
-The best part of the game is the writing and dialogue animations. Explore all the conversation options, if you skip dialogue you are Literally Radovid.
-Gwent is entirely optional but if you decide to play it, easiest to beat each merchant as you first encounter them and make sure to buy cards from innkeeps and traders.
-Trolls are the best.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

-The best part of the game is the writing and dialogue animations. Explore all the conversation options, if you skip dialogue you are Literally Radovid.

I skip through some of the more mundane stuff because I just want to craft already geez. And also because I can read it way, way faster.

I also hate elves.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Thanks! What are the few things worth hoarding?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I skip through some of the more mundane stuff because I just want to craft already geez. And also because I can read it way, way faster.

I also hate elves.

well sure, skip lines and just let me sell my poo poo and craft already

but I meant for actual character interactions, you'll usually have yellow options to advance the dialogue tree and white options which are just "flavor," but I think it's always worth listening to everything that significant characters have to say

otherwise you're missing out on great world building and characterization

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I finally met this basement troll, he's cool and nice and I want to be his friend.
Also I have no idea who this Dandelion guy is, I wish I had played the previous games. He seems like a rad dandy though.

I don't know if I'll ever play the other games because they'll probably seem less pretty and good compared :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

but I meant for actual character interactions, you'll usually have yellow options to advance the dialogue tree and white options which are just "flavor," but I think it's always worth listening to everything that significant characters have to say

Oh you mean that, I thought you meant the actual dialogue. I usually choose those unless I already know what the topic is or if it seems like Geralt probably does.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

having alcohol is always always always good because when you meditate you use alcohol to replenish your potions

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Monster parts and gem dust up to stacks of 3-5x or so, you'll use them for alchemy and item crafting in small numbers but sell off extra

Hard alcohol (Alcohest, Dwarven Spirits, Cherry Cordial, Mandrake Cordial, Redanian Herbal) which is used to craft and replenish Alchemy items

Metal ingots and ores, which are usually the most expensive part of armor and weapon crafting. Iron is common and cheap but the rarer metals like meteorite, dark iron, silver, and dimeritium are expensive and worth hoarding.

You can sell almost everything else, including things like rune/glyph enchants. Remember everything is randomized and level-scaled so you'll get tons of crafting materials and better runes as you progress.

Baronjutter posted:

I finally met this basement troll, he's cool and nice and I want to be his friend.

quote:

Geralt: The hissing, where did it come from?
Bart: Bart hiss hear in lavtree
Geralt: What?
Bart: Where... where Bart turdy dump.
:allears: Bart <3 Sigi

Edit: what do you think of Novigrad, Baronjutter?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 10, 2015

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know if I'll ever play the other games because they'll probably seem less pretty and good compared :(

I've only seen videos but Witcher 1 looks like hot garbage. I played about 5 hours of Witcher 2 before getting bored, but now that 3 has got me invested in the characters and world I might try it again.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Interactions with trolls are always the best and if you murder trolls that aren't automatically hostile we can't be friends.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just hope I don't have to pay the troll toll.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
The Witcher 1 is really good but BUT it does indeed looks like poo poo and I'm pretty sure it has garbage graphics even by the standards of its own time. Geralt really gets around in it though and I thought that was pretty hilarious.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: what do you think of Novigrad, Baronjutter?

Turdy Dump

It's really well done, feels like a real big dirty nasty medieval city. I feel a bit on rails here though, it's quest after connected quest all in this city but I don't have any other quests to do, want to take a break and get back out to the free-roaming countryside. Also gently caress this fire church.

They really like poop chat in this game. That Godling you first met had a whole lot of dialog about defecating.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Turdy Dump

It's really well done, feels like a real big dirty nasty medieval city. I feel a bit on rails here though, it's quest after connected quest all in this city but I don't have any other quests to do, want to take a break and get back out to the free-roaming countryside. Also gently caress this fire church.

They really like poop chat in this game. That Godling you first met had a whole lot of dialog about defecating.

You should have no problem starting in on Skellige if you want some open-world roaming to mix in with Novigrad, which as you say is really dense with running around talking to people and sleuthing and not much combat.

The 1000 gold you have to pay for transport to Skellige is immediately "refunded" on arrival on the ship captain's corpse after you wreck so get some cash and go for it.

If you haven't stopped by the bank and exchanged your coins you're very likely to get 1k+ from that alone

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Baronjutter posted:

Also I have no idea who this Dandelion guy is, I wish I had played the previous games. He seems like a rad dandy though.

This is precisely why I played 1 and 2 first. I'm glad I did. But then again I'm old enough that anything fancier than the original Deus Ex graphics seems impressively detailed to me.

I honestly think Witcher 1 Geralt had the best hair, too. This shaved sides thing looks douchey.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pellisworth posted:

You should have no problem starting in on Skellige if you want some open-world roaming to mix in with Novigrad, which as you say is really dense with running around talking to people and sleuthing and not much combat.

The 1000 gold you have to pay for transport to Skellige is immediately "refunded" on arrival on the ship captain's corpse after you wreck so get some cash and go for it.

If you haven't stopped by the bank and exchanged your coins you're very likely to get 1k+ from that alone

1000 golds?! Jesus I don't think I've ever had more than 300. I guess I need to find this bank.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I honestly think Witcher 1 Geralt had the best hair, too. This shaved sides thing looks douchey.

Don't worry, Geralt can visit a barber when he hits one of the big towns.

Baronjutter posted:

1000 golds?! Jesus I don't think I've ever had more than 300. I guess I need to find this bank.

Dwarf named Vivaldi, SW corner of the central Hierarch square. You probably have hundreds in foreign currency to exchange.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like how as the story/time progresses his beard re-grows. That's a really nice little touch. The game is just jam packed with those nice little touches that add up to a really solid game. It's a level of care and attention you just don't see that much anymore, specially coming off of fun but empty offerings like Fallout 4.

Also I hope there's anything I can do to help Novigrad. They've got very obvious nazi parallels going on, what with a whole kristallnacht against magic users and their businesses and next the "dwarves who control the finances" and "elves who litter the slums" is straight up 30's germany poo poo going down.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There are a lot of games that people love that seem to empty and dead to me, and its amazing how Witcher makes a world that legitimately feels alive. Its one of the most "living" worlds I think I've ever played in

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what witcher 3 mods should i download tonight

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I was in a tavern listening to some ridiculous blond sing and after the song a lady I recognised from maybe the first part of the game started yelling I was a murderer. If I remember some lady was smashing her face in and if I hadn't stepped in would have probably killed her, then some thugs pull some swords on me and I had defend my self.

Now she's screaming that I'm a murderer??? What the gently caress is wrong with this lady. If my actions made life uncomfortable for her in her lovely racist village that sucks, but you'd think she'd just ignore me if she ran into me in Novigrad? Or did the incident gently caress her up so much she's decided to blame it all on me instead of the people who actually attacked her? Some broken rear end sadbrains in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Eonwe posted:

what witcher 3 mods should i download tonight

The best mod I use is one that hides the minimap unless you're using Witcher Senses, makes it so the HUD automatically fades when you're at full health, but still allows me to play with a controller.

Also one that gives Ciri rockin' tits, obv.

Baronjutter posted:

So I was in a tavern listening to some ridiculous blond sing and after the song a lady I recognised from maybe the first part of the game started yelling I was a murderer. If I remember some lady was smashing her face in and if I hadn't stepped in would have probably killed her, then some thugs pull some swords on me and I had defend my self.

Now she's screaming that I'm a murderer??? What the gently caress is wrong with this lady. If my actions made life uncomfortable for her in her lovely racist village that sucks, but you'd think she'd just ignore me if she ran into me in Novigrad? Or did the incident gently caress her up so much she's decided to blame it all on me instead of the people who actually attacked her? Some broken rear end sadbrains in this game.

It wouldn't be a day that ends in Y if somebody doesn't blame Geralt for everything he did.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 10, 2015