Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, assuming the game ever comes out, you could think of it as flying your space train around a space train track. But yeah, currently one of these things exists beyond jpeg format.

I was going to make a joke about RSI releasing a new ship pack of space trains, but hell, that's basically what any kind of cargo hauling is, isn't it? So yeah, train simulator in space, except some of the trains might have a gun turret or two.

explains the speed limit too

can't have them wearing down those space rails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://i.imgur.com/eWuASao.gifv

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Not made in China

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Realistic space sim physics

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Okay, I'm having a real hard time keeping up with all the new cult terminology, but what the gently caress is "unmelt"? I get that melting is turning ships* into store credit to buy other ships**, but how do you unmelt? You turn store credit into ships? Isn't that what, you know, a store does anyway?

*Ships that most likely does not exist other than as jpgs

**Likely newer ships that only exists as coke flashes in Croberts mind

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Realistic space sim physics

At least the top speed is realistic, taking into account gravity, drag, and the fact that you can only go as fast as the explosion from the engine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Iglocska posted:

Except for Elite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14WSIyWHwkk

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Orions Lord posted:

Just wondering does CIG need to pay taxes on all that gained millions?

Don't miss the next "Reverse the Account" and you'll learn all about it.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Erenthal posted:

Okay, I'm having a real hard time keeping up with all the new cult terminology, but what the gently caress is "unmelt"? I get that melting is turning ships* into store credit to buy other ships**, but how do you unmelt? You turn store credit into ships? Isn't that what, you know, a store does anyway?

*Ships that most likely does not exist other than as jpgs

**Likely newer ships that only exists as coke flashes in Croberts mind

Some ships you can only get once twice at every holiday season and special event, same as how you can never get LTI again if you miss the initial sale. I guess it's getting those back if you've melted them.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Saw one, got bruised, just left, no harm done.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

D_Smart posted:

They've got about $11.35m left. Don't ask me how I know any of that.

Does this include the most recent jpeg sale because if so lad do

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Iglocska posted:

Saw one, got bruised, just left, no harm done.

Oh I know. I just like them.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Someone many threads ago pointed out that :lesnick:'s arms can ever reach far enough to wipe after he's evacuated his bowels.

Studio lights are hot. Ben sits down all day. He probably uses the office toilet at least once.

I've never been able to forget this fact, as much as I try.

I like how all these adult nerds get hype about the original wing commander which was a game written for children. Their disappoint will be much the same as star war nerds because the original trilogy and the prequels were both written for children.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Why the gently caress did these idiots open a development studio/warehouse/whatever in Santa Monica on the loving 3rd STREET PROMENADE?

It's a god drat posh shopping district with most upper level office space probably rented out to Macy's, Nordstroms, other random upscale long running clothing/jewelry companies, and architect firms. I can't think of a more retarded place to place a startup except maybe Manhattan or Dubai.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Avalanche posted:

Why the gently caress did these idiots open a development studio/warehouse/whatever in Santa Monica on the loving 3rd STREET PROMENADE?

It's a god drat posh shopping district with most upper level office space probably rented out to Macy's, Nordstroms, other random upscale long running clothing/jewelry companies, and architect firms. I can't think of a more retarded place to place a startup except maybe Manhattan or Dubai.

To attract TOP TALENT.

And then pay them well under standard industry rates. Which is fine, because true believers need not apply.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

a belated lmao

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh I know. I just like them.

They're really cool, especially the first time you see them. But after a while it becomes obvious that they're basically just decoration :(

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

To attract TOP TALENT.

And then pay them well under standard industry rates. Which is fine, because true believers need not apply.

Apparently they are now just down the street from Riot, which will lead to some hilarious talent drain.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wesha is my favorite citizen because he set thirty thousand dollars on fire and now won't shut the hell up about it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Romes128 posted:

Lol fallout 3 isn't correct either. I'd Google all of them but I already know whoever made that graphic is fuckin retarded
Luckily(?), I have nothing to do tonight.

Elder Scrolls Online: Probably accurate - Zenimax Online Studios was founded in 2007 for the express purpose of making the game.

Star Wars ToR: Started development in December 2005, with things really kicking off the following month with EA acquiring Bioware and Pandemic. It was also a huge loving mess that cost more money to make than any other game ever made, so using it as an example of sane game development budgeting and timetables...

Guild Wars 2: Accurate enough, from a quick glance. I don't know enough about it to know whether it did well from it or not.

TF2: This one was weird. It was announced in 1999, but that specific version was cancelled. The version that came out apparently had a pretty sane development timeline, even by Valve standards... as long as you don't count the decade of post-release content updates. :v:

Shenmue: Inaccurate, as previously noted. Didn't exactly help Sega's financial difficulties at the time, either.

Starcraft 2: Started development in mid-2003, but full-on production didn't start until 2004, so odds are they were just concepting and making plans and prototypes in the War3 engine until then.

L.A. Noire: Actually took longer than the chart says - it started development in late 2003... and it only tanked the entire Australian game development industry in the process!

Spore: Accurate enough, from the looks of things. Wouldn't exactly call it a success, seeing as it pretty much sealed Maxis's fate re: non-Sims games...

Diablo 3: Soooooorta accurate, but not really. The version started in 2001 (developed by Blizzard North) was cancelled in 2005, and development was effectively rebooted from scratch, story and all, by Blizzard Irvine in 2006.

Fallout 3: Yep, inaccurate. The 2002 version was the infamous "Van Buren" that was cancelled with Black Isle's demise. Bethesda commenced work on Fallout 3 in July 2004, once Oblivion and its DLC were put to bed.

Half-Life: Uhh, I think they put Half-Life 2's development time under the name of the original game... If they mean HL2, it's accurate enough. Wasn't a very smooth development though, what with the leaks and a bunch of people loving off to make some stupid digital distribution platform in the corner instead... seemed to work out well enough, though!

Morrowind: Ehh... technically accurate if you're a pedant, but the project was completely restarted in 1998 with a new engine and a much smaller, much less grand concept. The original plan used the Daggerfall engine and was much Daggerfall-ier in scope.

Star Citizen: lmbo

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Listen and Believe.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

How do you know any of that?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

For all the poo poo bethesda gets they can whip out a game that ships 12m copies, on 3 different platforms, with a development team a third of the size of the current downsized CIG, in roughly the same amount of time its taken CIG to come out with a work in progress "PU". Yes, fallout iv didn't start full development till 2014 (where every single person of the team was dedicating time to fallout 4 and not skyrim and its dlcs)

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Friendly Tumour posted:

He hired Literally Kermit for a little B&E and a little R&D, you know, interstellar man of mystery stuff.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Friendly Tumour posted:

Don't ask.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Based on Sarsapariller's eyewitness testimony I might try and fire this thing up this weekend and park my space BMW in the bridge of some nerd zeppelins.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

Star Citizen: lmbo

Thing is, either you believe SC started development in 2011 (as stated by CR when the kickstarter came out) which means we're currently seeing the results of 4+ years of development, or you buy the current Brown Sea line of "Development didn't really start until late 2013/early 2014", which means that all the work done in 2012 and 2013 effectively doesn't count and was all wasted. The latter sounds fine, until you realize that it probably cost $20-30m of backer money to run CIG in that 2 year period.

Of course, they'd say that it does count, and it wasn't wasted, which means the time must have been spent in some way working towards developing the current game we see now, but for some reason that doesn't count as "development time" :psyduck:

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
We need an historian to record the glorious history of SC development.
I'm actually impressed by the amount of work it was poured into this piece of garbage

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

D_Smart posted:

Any new blogs on the horizon with any new revelations or did that source of yours got busted with some of the more recent layoffs?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How does he knw any of that?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Friendly Tumour posted:

Derek's inside man is Erin Roberts

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Gerblyn posted:

Thing is, either you believe SC started development in 2011 (as stated by CR when the kickstarter came out) which means we're currently seeing the results of 4+ years of development, or you buy the current Brown Sea line of "Development didn't really start until late 2013/early 2014", which means that all the work done in 2012 and 2013 effectively doesn't count and was all wasted. The latter sounds fine, until you realize that it probably cost $20-30m of backer money to run CIG in that 2 year period.

Of course, they'd say that it does count, and it wasn't wasted, which means the time must have been spent in some way working towards developing the current game we see now, but for some reason that doesn't count as "development time" :psyduck:

Or there is option 3, where you think that the development started after the KS campaign in 2012, with everything before being a small self-funded tech demo for the pitch by a few guys and they've plowed through 3+ years of development by now.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

Or there is option 3, where you think that the development started after the KS campaign in 2012, with everything before being a small self-funded tech demo for the pitch by a few guys and they've plowed through 3+ years of development by now.

The Kickstarter campaign was really in 2013

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Iglocska posted:

Hadn't they already raised a ton of money before the KS started though? I dunno, I just remember reading an interview where CR said something like "We expect SQ42 to be released in the end of 2014, after 3 years of development", which is where I got 2011 from.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

For all the poo poo bethesda gets they can whip out a game that ships 12m copies, on 3 different platforms, with a development team a third of the size of the current downsized CIG, in roughly the same amount of time its taken CIG to come out with a work in progress "PU". Yes, fallout iv didn't start full development till 2014 (where every single person of the team was dedicating time to fallout 4 and not skyrim and its dlcs)

Thats what expertise give you. People keep telling Bethesda to get rid of Gamebryo (and hopefully FO4 will be the last game on it) but the Senior Devs over there must know the limits and capabilities of that engine by heart. Skyrim money also allowed them to train and retain all the good staff and they choosed to do so instead of building a mocap studios.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The Kickstarter campaign was really in 2013

I hear Chris Roberts is going to make another space game, they are going to do a kickstarter for it in 2016!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gerblyn posted:

Hadn't they already raised a ton of money before the KS started though?

Before KS they were using their own money. CR was a very successful retired game baron and semi-successful film producer, I'm sure he had enough cash on hand to get 3-4 people to work for him for a year. The KS was there to show venture capital that there's a market for a space game. Later on, venture capital kinda got hosed off for obvious reasons.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Gerblyn posted:

Hadn't they already raised a ton of money before the KS started though? I dunno, I just remember reading an interview where CR said something like "We expect SQ42 to be released in the end of 2014, after 3 years of development", which is where I got 2011 from.

I don't know about a ton, but both started in 2012 IIRC. Either way, SQ42 should be out for a while now.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

I don't know about a ton, but both started in 2012 IIRC. Either way, SQ42 should be out for a while now.

wikipedia says 2011

can't find it in the quoted sources though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chris Roberts (2012) posted:

"I'm confident now that we'll be able to compete with any AAA game out there,” he says. “I can't do what I did with Freelancer, or what id did with Rage, and take five years to release it. At that point, the moment in time will be gone. But in two years, it will be pretty great.”

I'm Chris Roberts (2012) ama

• Locked thread