Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Imagine being the Secret Service agent who signed up to defend the leader of the free world and you get told Donald Trump feels like stretching his legs at the Temple Mount, try and lock that poo poo down to avoid inadvertently starting World War 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dolash posted:

Imagine being the Secret Service agent who signed up to defend the leader of the free world and you get told Donald Trump feels like stretching his legs at the Temple Mount, try and lock that poo poo down to avoid inadvertently starting World War 3.
I wonder what the orders are if he tries to do something like piss on the Dome of the Rock. Or will Mossad handle this for us?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nessus posted:

I wonder what the orders are if he tries to do something like piss on the Dome of the Rock. Or will Mossad handle this for us?

To get into Mossad you probably have to take such a piss yourself to prove how hardcore you are.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figured they just went with the old-fashioned "second circumcision."

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
You know how Cruz was doing really well in Iowa?

RFS supporters ramp up Cruz criticism

quote:

NEVADA, Ia. — Supporters of the Renewable Fuels Standard, seen as key to the future of Iowa’s corn-based ethanol production, are ramping up criticism of Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, saying he’s the only presidential candidate from both parties who has refused to either tour a biofuels plant or meet with industry lobbyists.

Critics of Cruz, whose has been rising in polls in a crowded field of Republican candidates, held a news conference Tuesday at Lincolnway Energy in Nevada. They accused him of abandoning 75,000 Iowans employed in the renewable fuels industry while supporting subsidies for the oil industry.

“Every candidate, good or bad, has respected Iowans and the caucus process by sitting down with us and learning about the RFS, except for Ted Cruz,” said Eric Branstad, executive director of America’s Renewable Future, a pro-biofuels lobby group. The federal government's Renewable Fuels Standard requires renewable fuels like ethanol to be blended into transportation fuels like gasoline.

Branstad was joined by former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum, a longtime supporter of the Renewable Fuels Standard who is seeking the GOP presidential nomination. Santorum claimed that Cruz is supporting the oil industry over Iowa’s biofuels industry.

“They don’t want a competing product coming in and getting market share. That is the bottom line,” Santorum told reporters after touring the Lincolnway Energy plant here. The plant produces 60 million gallons of ethanol annually.

Last week, Cruz asked Iowa radio stations to stop running an advertisement sponsored by America's Renewable Future. The 60-second ad, entitled “Hypocrite,” claims Cruz has $700,000 in personal oil investments and that pro-Cruz super PACs received $25 million in donations from oil companies.

Rick Tyler, a spokesman for the Texas U.S. senator, said in a statement to The Des Moines Register last week, "It is blatantly false to suggest that Sen. Cruz wants to end the Renewable Fuel Standard while maintaining subsidies for oil. Cruz has repeatedly stated that he would end all energy specific subsidies, both ethanol and oil among others."

Cruz’s campaign issued a statement Tuesday that the Texas senator looks forward to America’s Renewable Future endorsing Cruz’s flat tax plan that eliminates all loopholes, stops corporate welfare, and specifically allows every company, including ethanol producers, to immediately expense all of their capital costs, treating everyone fairly, without subsidy.

The Dallas Morning News reports that Cruz has at least $365,000 in oil and gas investments, according to a July personal finance disclosure. Three Texas energy billionaires donated $25 million in total to super PACs backing Cruz’s presidential bid, the newspaper reported.

This was my favorite bit:

Cruz’s campaign issued a statement Tuesday that the Texas senator looks forward to America’s Renewable Future endorsing Cruz’s flat tax plan that eliminates all loopholes, stops corporate welfare, and specifically allows every company, including ethanol producers, to immediately expense all of their capital costs, treating everyone fairly, without subsidy.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

quote:

“Every candidate, good or bad, has respected Iowans and the caucus process by sitting down with us and learning about the RFS, except for Ted Cruz,”

EVERY CANDIDATE? Has former Virginia governor Jim "No Car Tax" Gilmore sat down with them to learn about the Renewable Fuels Standard?

Has he ever been to Iowa? Can he find it on a map? Does he know what Renewable Fuels Standard is or how it relates to eliminating the personal property tax?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Ted Cruz, saying he’s the only presidential candidate from both parties who has refused to either tour a biofuels plant or meet with industry lobbyists.

Touring a biofuels plant is honestly one of the more entertaining things a person can do in Iowa.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
I just want to say I've enjoyed the character arc of Baby Hitler in the thread titles of late.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
If only JEB! had killed him when he had the chance.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

fishmech posted:

They were sold from 1985 through 1992, and stopped being sold in the US because of a combination of sanctions against the Serbs and the fact they'd hosed up emissions controls on the 91 and 92 models.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Someone should read Hitler's speeches in Donald Trump's voice and cadence (and in English, obviously) and see just how eerie it is.

That is a Lovecraft protagonist level bad idea.

stoutfish posted:

what is your plan to combat the rise of fascism in america

take joy in life not least in the utter idiocy of my enemies

Nessus posted:

does he expect accelerationism to ncrease the number of Latin teacher positions? Or is he hoping he somehow survives to become the last Latin teacher?

He's just a big Fallout:New Vegas fan.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

NH is my guess. No way he drops out before Iowa. Iowa might not be enough to stop him. 50 million dollars is an astronomical amount to owe to people who can't even legally be named.

You know they can release the names of the donors if they wanted, yeah? As funny as it would be if his donors went after him he's not going to show up at his concession speech with two black eyes. Just means the next Bush will have trouble fundraising.

Phlegmish posted:

Sounds like a good way to boost his poll numbers.

It is true that the original people we had to murder for freedom attempting to meddle in our internal politics is not a great look.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

misdirectomy posted:

I just want to say I've enjoyed the character arc of Baby Hitler in the thread titles of late.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
do it to baby hitler!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Aha. Ahahahahahahaha.

quote:

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

I have decided to postpone my trip to Israel and to schedule my meeting with @netanyahu at a later date after I become President of the U.S.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
:allears:

I don't get how people can dislike Trump so much, he's deoightful.

Any way, CBS/NYT has a big poll dropping later today
We know it starts out Trump 35, Cruz 16.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
another exciting day of the GOP primary, who knows what crazy ups and downs we will experience before night falls

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Patter Song posted:

Any way, CBS/NYT has a big poll dropping later today
We know it starts out Trump 35, Cruz 16.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/292891756/CBS-News-New-York-Times-Poll-December-4-8-2015-Toplines

Trump 35
Cruz 16
Carson 13
Rubio 9
Paul 4
Huckabee 3
Kasich 3
Christie 3
Bush 3
Fiorina 1
Santorum <1

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 10, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why do people say Trump needs a ground game? He has 100% name recognition and he has so much media coverage that anyone who might be swayed will have the opportunity to be by Iowa and NH.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Josh Lyman posted:

Why do people say Trump needs a ground game? He has 100% name recognition and he has so much media coverage that anyone who might be swayed will have the opportunity to be by Iowa and NH.

Because he needs people to turn out and vote for him.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

you need people to knock on folk's door and say "hey, go out and vote. did you vote yet. go vote. let's 'rock the vote, boyeee.' where's your i voted sticker. where is it."

you basically need to push people out the door to vote.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/292891756/CBS-News-New-York-Times-Poll-December-4-8-2015-Toplines

Trump 35
Cruz 16
Carson 13
Rubio 9
Paul 4
Huckabee 3
Kasich 3
Christie 3
Bush 3
Fiorina 1
Santorum <1

5 more days until Trump is in decline!

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Fuckin' burn on Carly getting kicked down from "opponent" to "woman".

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mr. Pumroy posted:

you need people to knock on folk's door and say "hey, go out and vote. did you vote yet. go vote. let's 'rock the vote, boyeee.' where's your i voted sticker. where is it."

you basically need to push people out the door to vote.

A good ground game will literally drive their most loyal supporters to the polls.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

smackfu posted:

A good ground game will literally drive their most loyal supporters to the polls.

To be fair, I don't think Trump's most loyal supporters are in the "unable to drive or use the bathroom without aid" stage yet.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Okonner posted:

Fuckin' burn on Carly getting kicked down from "opponent" to "woman".

Likewise they should move Jeb! from the "opponents" group to "some guy".

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The turnout will be yooge. Yooge. So many people. So many people.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Every poll with Bush at 3 or below is a Christmas miracle.

Can he make 2? Can he do that, for us?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Trump 35
Cruz 16
Carson 13
Rubio 9
Paul 4
Huckabee 3
Kasich 3
Christie 3
Bush 3
Fiorina 1
Santorum <1

I'm incredibly excited for when Jeb! drops out!

Seriously, cull everyone from Paul down. The longer they all split the establishment vote 6 ways, the longer trump's diehard faction is the plurality. Too bad they're all narcissistic sociopaths :rip:

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

smackfu posted:

Your country is weird. If somebody would knock on my door on election day, telling me to vote for his candidate and driving me to the polls, I would vote for the exact polar opposite just out of spite, even if I would have to vote for a candidate or party I hate.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Jeb? sleeper army lies in wait. You can see them scurrying in the dark, moving Jeb! pins and picket signs from stash to stash, evading media detection at all costs. At Trump rallies, if you forced men at random to show you the lining of their jackets, you would more often than not find the distinct Jeb! pattern. Under most Make America Great Again baseball cap slogans is sewn a hidden Jeb can fix it! message, waiting for the approaching day when it will be allowed to see daylight.

Just try asking your neighbours if you can hang out in their basement - they will most likely say no and back away slowly, realizing their conspirators' hideout / campaign merch storage area has been exposed.

It's all about avoiding peaking too early in the polls.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Ibogaine posted:

Your country is weird. If somebody would knock on my door on election day, telling me to vote for his candidate and driving me to the polls, I would vote for the exact polar opposite just out of spite, even if I would have to vote for a candidate or party I hate.

Most Americans hate confrontation. Plenty of people I know would rather do something they don't want to do than disappoint a stranger with a clipboard.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Also, the idea that Trump has a weak ground game is based on a false permise. Trump has more paid staff in Iowa than any candidate but Jeb!

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Trump 35
Cruz 16
Carson 13
Rubio 9
Paul 4
Huckabee 3
Kasich 3
Christie 3
Bush 3
Fiorina 1
Santorum <1

So much for that Fiorina bump. Goddamn.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Speaking of peaking, I'm looking forward to Trump's line against Cruz.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ibogaine posted:

It's a bit more subtle than that, because modern political campaigns are all about getting the most votes for the least effort.

1) Identify a list of people in your party.
2) Call them to see if they support your candidate.
3) If they strongly support your candidate, put them on a list.
4) Call them on election day to see if they voted.
5) If they say they don't have a way to get to the polls, you drive them there.

Even better if these steps are done by a sympathetic ally, like unions for the Democrats or a church for the Republicans.

In your case, it would hopefully not get to step 5.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

smackfu posted:

It's a bit more subtle than that, because modern political campaigns are all about getting the most votes for the least effort.

1) Identify a list of people in your party.
2) Call them to see if they support your candidate.
3) If they strongly support your candidate, put them on a list.
4) Call them on election day to see if they voted.
5) If they say they don't have a way to get to the polls, you drive them there.

Even better if these steps are done by a sympathetic ally, like unions for the Democrats or a church for the Republicans.

In your case, it would hopefully not get to step 5.

I've also seen signs around town for non-partisan "we don't care who you vote for just loving vote and if you need a ride we're here to help" services.

It's no big deal.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Trump 35
Cruz 16
Carson 13
Rubio 9
Paul 4
Huckabee 3
Kasich 3
Christie 3
Bush 3
Fiorina 1
Santorum <1

I'd like to point out that if you're one of the folks who still think Trump has no chance at becoming the nominee, consider that if everyone from Rand Paul down dropped out, and their support went 100% to Rubio, the only establishment candidate with a prayer, then he would still be trailing Trump by 9 points. Then consider that those supporters will be split 4 ways, with maybe an emphasis on Rubio and less on Carson, who is a sinking ship.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Subvisual Haze posted:

Trump's going to propose rebuilding the Temple in Jerusalem, just to lock the apocalyptic Evangelical vote.

And he'll get the Muslims to pay for it! He's a phenomenal businessman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Trump 35
Cruz 16
Carson 13
Rubio 9
Paul 4
Huckabee 3
Kasich 3
Christie 3
Bush 3
Fiorina 1
Santorum <1

Q71. If Donald Trump is elected as President, what best describes your feelings about what he will do in office -- excited, optimistic, but not excited, concerned, but not scared, or scared? ** REGISTERED VOTERS **

Excited 11
Optimistic, not excited 24
Concerned, not scared 24
Scared 40
Don't Know / No answer 2

• Locked thread