Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Working my way through making paper and parchment at least got me to manage the soap industry properly. Now I have dragon soap and forgotten beast soap. :v:

I really like this fort, so it chaps my rear end that I have no magma tubes. I think I'm going to have to figure out how to do minecarts now because I'm pretty sure a pumpstack will render the fort unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Dwarf Fortress wiki has an interesting comment about larger output chambers on magma pump stacks reducing the FPS impact, with links to lengthy discussions on the Bay12 forums. Worth a try, maybe?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The first writing in the real world was mostly done on rocks, painted or engraved. But in DF universes, apparently writing on rock tablets is reserved for gods and similar entities? I'd sort of expect dwarves to also do those.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

hailthefish posted:

The Dwarf Fortress wiki has an interesting comment about larger output chambers on magma pump stacks reducing the FPS impact, with links to lengthy discussions on the Bay12 forums. Worth a try, maybe?

I've considered it, but 1. I'm pretty intimidated and also not sure I have sufficient magma-safe materials to do it in a reasonable amount of time; and 2. the impact still seems pretty bad and those calculations are for a pre-2014 version, right? :smith: I like this embark a lot.

nielsm posted:

The first writing in the real world was mostly done on rocks, painted or engraved. But in DF universes, apparently writing on rock tablets is reserved for gods and similar entities? I'd sort of expect dwarves to also do those.

Well the dorfs have had slabs and engravings all this time. They've even made engravings of engravings, and you could decorate the slabs with images of engraved slabs...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

RedTonic posted:

Well the dorfs have had slabs and engravings all this time. They've even made engravings of engravings, and you could decorate the slabs with images of engraved slabs...

But those are just primitive cave paintingsengravings, not actually written language.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I made a huge magma pump stack to pour out into a pool in one of my old 2014 forts and didn't notice a major FPS loss. At the very least, it was still perfectly playable since that fort continued to lurch onwards and only ended once it became a necropolis.

EDIT: For context, you can see the size of the magma pool at the top of this pic. Remember that once its filled, you can just turn off the pump stack and it won't have any more FPS impact. I can't imagine why you'd need to keep it running constantly.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 9, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nielsm posted:

But those are just primitive cave paintingsengravings, not actually written language.

What about the memorial slabs to dwarves who loved beds???

Internet Kraken posted:

I made a huge magma pump stack to pour out into a pool in one of my old 2014 forts and didn't notice a major FPS loss. At the very least, it was still perfectly playable since that fort continued to lurch onwards and only ended once it became a necropolis.

EDIT: For context, you can see the size of the magma pool at the top of this pic. Remember that once its filled, you can just turn off the pump stack and it won't have any more FPS impact. I can't imagine why you'd need to keep it running constantly.

Miasma everywhere... Bloodstains... A ghost... Yep, looks like a proper fort.

I have so many creatures, items, and trees on the map that I am pretty scared. But I guess I ought to give it a go before I hit the next game-breaking bug.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 9, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hailthefish posted:

Yeah, you can definitely tell that bookbinding is something Toady sat down and read the wikipedia pages on and tried to reproduce as completely as possible. Like the beekeeping stuff.

i'm pretty fine with the beekeeping stuff since i already find the subject cool and it produces actually 'useful' things, but with making books it almost feels like there's maybe...one step too many somewhere in the process? i dunno.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did some testing with [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:] and as far as I can tell, increasing it past 100 does nothing. Even at absurdly high values it didn't seem to do anything more in combat than it did at 100. Lower values definitely have an impact, though that should be obvious.

Combat in this game still seems so weird. You'd think the time delay on different attacks would be significant but it doesn't seem to matter at all from what I can see. Creatures with incredibly long attacks use them just as often as faster ones.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

hailthefish posted:

Unless you need a neverending stream of magma, just design it so that you can turn the power off once your magma cistern or moat or smithy or whatever is full. It'll gently caress up your frame rate, yeah, but only once. It's only really bad if you're creating like a 10-level waterfall or something like that, that needs to run constantly.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Aren't there new demon things in this version? Like demon cities or something? Was it all just books and taverns?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

RedTonic posted:

I've considered it, but 1. I'm pretty intimidated and also not sure I have sufficient magma-safe materials to do it in a reasonable amount of time; and 2. the impact still seems pretty bad and those calculations are for a pre-2014 version, right? :smith: I like this embark a lot.

He's right, a larger pool for the magma in each stack helps with FPS immensely, like so

Also, use glass for your magma stack, you can make all necessary parts out of glass

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So there's a baby crawling around outside my fort. Her mother got mauled by a weregila and he managed to fall out of her arms without being hurt, so now its just wandering around outside.

Her only thought is "mama...". :negative:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Kayle7 posted:

He's right, a larger pool for the magma in each stack helps with FPS immensely, like so

Also, use glass for your magma stack, you can make all necessary parts out of glass

Apparently you only need 1x3.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I think bookmaking does probably have an extra step or two along the way, but screw presses and querns/mills are pretty easy to understand and use. I also like that it relies on aboveground crops primarily, because I envision the dwarves concentrating mostly on elaborate engravings as a way of preserving information. Bookmaking specifically should serve as a point of departure for them from their normal lifestyle. That said, I think it'd be cool if maybe the second or third layer of the caverns had some kind of papyrus-style plants available?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RedTonic posted:

Working my way through making paper and parchment at least got me to manage the soap industry properly. Now I have dragon soap and forgotten beast soap. :v:

I really like this fort, so it chaps my rear end that I have no magma tubes. I think I'm going to have to figure out how to do minecarts now because I'm pretty sure a pumpstack will render the fort unplayable.

Minecarts work but they fill stuff SLOW. iirc each cart only ends up dumping 4/7 worth of magma per trip. I had a track going from the magma sea to the surface, and even though I had 5-6 carts on it running continuously (which was an engineering feat on its own) I was still losing so much to evaporation that it was barely worth it. I was also dumping into a huge reservoir which spread the 4/7 into four 1/7s immediately so I'm sure that didn't help. I was making a dwarf-made volcano with 40 iron floodgates to sweep invaders away as they climbed the slopes to my fort's entrance so it was basically a hollowed out mountain I was trying to fill; worked spectacularly once and then required like 5 game years to fill up again.

Pump stack would be faster, but there's the FPS to worry about - although as mentioned it isn't really a huge concern and I agree with that. The pumps work fast and you'll get magma up to the surface quickly and then you can just switch them off. There will be an FPS impact but it shouldn't be a slideshow while the pumps are working. Not sure what you actually need the magma for but if it's just for metalworking you don't even really need to fill a massive pool or anything.

If the big pump stack is an FPS concern you can always do a stack to get magma to a pool a third of the way up, then that stack can turn off and a second gets activated to bring it closer, then that turns off and a third brings the magma the rest of the way. You can even automate that with pressure plates (and obviously do as many or as few stacks as are necessary).

You can also make a magma piston which should be fine for FPS (it might suck for a minute when the piston drops) and is the fastest method to actually get magma up except for maybe a pump stack (which is much more complicated/intensive to build). Although it does involve tons of mining designations. On the other hand you won't have to make 100 pipe sections and 100 huge corkscrews and it is fairly easy to re-use it after you get the piston carved out. Might be worth it if you need to bring up a decent amount of magma on a non continuous basis (ie just once to fill a magma moat).

Might be easier to build the metal industry stuff lower to the magma and have a minecart track running ore/flux/coal down and finished goods back up, though.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 10, 2015

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I've only played with minecarts once when they came out ( to take wood from the surface to a quantum stockpile down below ) and it was an adventure rife with injuries and cat blood stains. To be fair, I had carved the tracks in the central fort access ramp but hey, most dwarves survived!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my favorite minecart adventure was weaponizing them to fight off sieges

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm using the lazy newb pack's latest release and if I use any graphics other than default or CLA all the text in the game just becomes solid blocks of colour.

Anybody know whats up with this?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Taverns are pretty drat cool. I set one up and after sprucing it up, its pretty much constantly full. I guess people really like watching the duo act of the human dancer and weasel man poet. More importantly though its giving me free soldiers. I've had a steady stream of dwarves apply for mercenary work in my fort now, so my militia isn't completely useless. A goblin even decided to join which surprised me. I guess they're not all so evil :buddy:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Taverns are pretty drat cool. I set one up and after sprucing it up, its pretty much constantly full. I guess people really like watching the duo act of the human dancer and weasel man poet. More importantly though its giving me free soldiers. I've had a steady stream of dwarves apply for mercenary work in my fort now, so my militia isn't completely useless. A goblin even decided to join which surprised me. I guess they're not all so evil :buddy:

He's a snatcher running a long con. :colbert: Slowly he'll gain the trust of every child in the fort and then lead them all right out the front gate like some twisted pied piper.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Didn't the pied piper do exactly that with the town's children anyway?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elth posted:

I've only played with minecarts once when they came out ( to take wood from the surface to a quantum stockpile down below ) and it was an adventure rife with injuries and cat blood stains. To be fair, I had carved the tracks in the central fort access ramp but hey, most dwarves survived!

Yeah you can use traffic designations but they aren't perfect. Minecart tracks automatically give themselves a 'L' traffic designation; I recommend changing that to restricted and maybe even cranking up the pathing value of restricted in the .init file from 25 to like 50+

That still won't stop dumb dwarves and animals from getting splattered by minecarts so whenever there's a minecart track in my fortress that has powered minecarts there's also usually pressure plates + door systems to seal off the minecart tracks from access. I put 2-3 plates a few squares in front of the door - ideally the plates get triggered by the cart and the door opens right as the cart is in front of it, then shuts behind it fast enough to prevent things from getting in. Since the pathing is sealed off things shouldn't really be near enough to have an opportunity anyway.

It's a pain in the butt but it's also kind of fun to set up and when it all works well it's great. I just wish toady could somehow get dwarves to consider minecart rides in their pathing or to at least realize they can get from station A to station B with a minecart if B is inaccessible through normal pathing... I want a minecart subway system.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just getting into DF after bouncing off of it a couple times, this is how i lost:

my fortress got attacked by one werecavy
this is a cavy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caviidae
he bit open the leg of a dwarf and took an arm and leg from another before a miner snuck up behind him and picked him in the neck
the injured dwarves turned into werecavys in the infirmary and were put down by the militia commander, a woodcutter
then the militia commander turned
the werecommander killed the whole military and all but 3 dwarves before turning back into a dorf and succumbing to depression
i banded together the last 3 dwarves, a moneycounter, merchant and candlemaker, drafted them into the military and set them on the depressed commander who fled the whole way across the map until he was corned by the newly promoted expedition leader who battered him half to death with his bare hands in the dining room
then the expedition leader turns into a werecavy at the same time as the one hes beating up does, the wereleader is torn to peices by the newly rejuvenated werecommander who then immediately eviserates the two remaining dwarves

e: also i set up in an evil zone expecting some bizzare creepy hijinks and instead I dug a hole into a barren frozen hellscape and then a roiling cloud of zombification gas rolled over the whole map and killed then unkilled everyone outside.
the poor miner who was the only survivor in his hole died moments later by their hands

a similar experiment resulted in the king of the dwarves being swarmed in his empty throne room by undead ravens as the last man standing

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 10, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The form of a killer.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part of me wonders how hard it would be to make a 'beekeeping' mod where it adds a shitload of colonies you can put into hives and collect cool stuff from. maybe try to have varieties for near every biome.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The form of a killer.

With dwarf for scale:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

part of me wonders how hard it would be to make a 'beekeeping' mod where it adds a shitload of colonies you can put into hives and collect cool stuff from. maybe try to have varieties for near every biome.

Masterwork has a bunch of poo poo you can squeeze goo out of.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

Masterwork has a bunch of poo poo you can squeeze goo out of.

Cochineal would make for an excellent addition to vanilla.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

CrazySalamander posted:

Didn't the pied piper do exactly that with the town's children anyway?

Yeah but it was because the town wouldn't pay him not because his evil goblin culture revolved around abducting kids to raise as goblins.

E: well and there's tons of different versions about how the children this is resolved in that story ranging from death to returning the kids after he got paid.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 10, 2015

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yeah but it was because the town wouldn't pay him not because his evil goblin culture revolved around abducting kids to raise as goblins.

Y'all call it evil, but I bet if the option existed you'd be kidnapping goblin and human kids to raise in your fortress as dwarves.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Might be easier to build the metal industry stuff lower to the magma and have a minecart track running ore/flux/coal down and finished goods back up, though.

That was what I was planning -- magma-filled minecarts running across multiple z-levels just sounds like a fantastic way to burn down the whole fort. But I've already started setting up the mining designations for the workshops and the pumpstack. What glorious madness awaits?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

wall monitor posted:

Y'all call it evil, but I bet if the option existed you'd be kidnapping goblin and human kids to raise in your fortress as dwarves.

Sure would.

So the human law-giver came to visit my new baron... Turns out it's a vampire. Should I liberate humankind from the undead yoke?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Even if you just have dwarves guiding the minecarts by hand, they can be pretty drat useful for moving a fuckton of ore or other heavy objects around much faster than carrying it by hand would be. May not be faster than a team of 20 dwarves with wheelbarrows or something like that, but that's 20 dwarves vs one dwarf pushing the cart.

I haven't done too much with minecarts, but I have set up simple one-way tracks from ore deposits up/down to the smelters and stuff. You can do some really crazy poo poo with rollers and pressure plates and automation but I haven't been arsed to do it yet.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

RedTonic posted:

Sure would.

So the human law-giver came to visit my new baron... Turns out it's a vampire. Should I liberate humankind from the undead yoke?

Do it and see what happens.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

RedTonic posted:

I'm not certain it is your problem unless they start killing your guests or your dwarves. Let the humans deal with their own undead overlords.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Pickled Tink posted:

I'm not certain it is your problem unless they start killing your guests or your dwarves. Let the humans deal with their own undead overlords.

So wait until the law-giver diplomat eats a guest in the tavern... This might be a good way to clear out some of the 80-odd visiting bards. :dance:

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

RedTonic posted:

Once in adventurer mode I came across a human city with a demon law-giver impersonating a diety, so I decided to help out and promptly got in a knife fight with it that lasted two hours. Then I got mobbed by angry citizens and died. The moral is, never "help".

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

nopantsjack posted:

a similar experiment resulted in the king of the dwarves being swarmed in his empty throne room by undead ravens as the last man standing

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this game is the best death-metal violence simulator ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Lol, this seems horribly doomed, but i'm trying to participate at least: http://www.twitch.tv/twitch_plays_dwarf_fort

Guy just has the basic ASCI graphics also so i'm finding it hard to understand what i'm looking at half the time.

edit: spent like 5 minutes slowly going through the trader menu before i got bored

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 10, 2015