Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
the Olympic training center is in Colorado for that reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Deadlift and squat on the same day is killing me, I think it's time to quit stronglifts.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

you should probably switch it around from deadlift and squat on the same day to squat and deadlift on the same day.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

roymorrison posted:

the Olympic training center is in Colorado for that reason

its also why every piece of human loving garbage road cyclist lives in Boulder.

when i lived there i had dreams of running them over. they make crossfit people look like sane normal individuals.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
There's this guy in the gym I see from time to time that does not even do quarter squats. They're like 1/16 squats.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

Deadlift and squat on the same day is killing me, I think it's time to quit stronglifts.

Why, are you at max weight?

FogHelmut posted:

you should probably switch it around from deadlift and squat on the same day to squat and deadlift on the same day.

Also, this.

Party Alarm posted:

There's this guy in the gym I see from time to time that does not even do quarter squats. They're like 1/16 squats.

Mock that fucker!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Party Alarm posted:

...because then he can claim bigger numbers.

...unless he's lifting like 135lb in which case lol.

Also I have the flu and am dying to go lift a thing but my joints ache and I feel like poo poo.

:(

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
^^^ go lift

notZaar posted:

Ever done a 5 day split?

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

88h88 posted:

...because then he can claim bigger numbers.

...unless he's lifting like 135lb in which case lol.

Also I have the flu and am dying to go lift a thing but my joints ache and I feel like poo poo.

:(

Whats up flu bro i missed squat day cause im down aswell no gains this week.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

^^^ go lift

Ever done a 5 day split?

I can't even do 1 split, much less hold it for five days.

As for before, I do the squats first (that's the order the app tells me to do it) but that doesn't make the deadlift easier. I've been doing the program since March and I keep plateauing on my squats at ~210 lb.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

notZaar posted:

I can't even do 1 split, much less hold it for five days.

As for before, I do the squats first (that's the order the app tells me to do it) but that doesn't make the deadlift easier. I've been doing the program since March and I keep plateauing on my squats at ~210 lb.

How much do you weigh? And what do you do when you plateau? And what else do you do? If you absolutely can't get past it, take a week or two off and go back to it. Also, what is your Deadlift?

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 10, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Weight is 162 lb although that is ~12% BF. Deadlift is currently at 240 5x5 although I haven't plateaued there yet.

I'm just following the program so when I fail to increase the squat 3 times in a row I do 80% deload. Taking time off (ie a long weekend) hasn't really helped much.

Also once I got past 185lb on my squat I really started struggling with the form. Knees keep trying to buckle and I gotta smack down the hips on the way up because they keep trying to make me do a Good Morning instead.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

notZaar posted:

Weight is 162 lb although that is ~12% BF. Deadlift is currently at 240 5x5 although I haven't plateaued there yet.

I'm just following the program so when I fail to increase the squat 3 times in a row I do 80% deload. Taking time off (ie a long weekend) hasn't really helped much.

Also once I got past 185lb on my squat I really started struggling with the form. Knees keep trying to buckle and I gotta smack down the hips on the way up because they keep trying to make me do a Good Morning instead.

Try something different. People are special snowflakes. What programs have you tried so far?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

notZaar posted:

I had that trouble too. When I say take time off, I mean take a full 7-14 days off, i.e. not doing anything. Don't go to the gym. The program will have you deload appropriately when you start again, but as you get back up to where you were, you will find it easier. Follow the program, don't deload one day and then go back to where you were the next.

Also, Deadlifts at your work weight are supposed to be 1x5, not 5x5.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Whoops, you're right, the DL is a 1x5 at work weight. I actually really like the deadlift, except for the part where it feels like my fingers are ripping out of my hand.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Likewise. My fingers always feel like the point of failure when I'm pushing my upper limit.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Try doing 5/3/1 instead. Then you can experience the joy of doing a 5x10 deadlift after a 1 RM squat.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I'm curious - does everyone here follow a lifting plan, and if so, what one? Anyone else develop their own plan?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
when I started out i followed other peoples plans and I'd recommend doing that if you're a newb. Once you learn more about the lifts/yourself and what is good and what is good for your goals you can start to make your own custom routines

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm curious - does everyone here follow a lifting plan, and if so, what one? Anyone else develop their own plan?

Here is my stupid plan that I made up based on factless assumptions I created

Day 1 - Chest/Tricep
10 minute warmup on elliptical, break a sweat
Bench Press (or DB press, or some kind of other major compound lift if you cant get to the bench because some bro in a graphic tank is still doing the 300 workout)
Incline DB Press (or Incline Bench whatever is free, I haven;t got time to work in)
Fly Machine or DB Flies
Overhead barbell tricep extension or skull crushers
Tricep rope pushdown
Optional I'm feeling good option - Dumbbell pullover
Dips til you quits

Day 2 - All of the back
Deadlift (or if your shins are bleeding from last week's bad form, bent over row and leg press or front squat)
Seated cable row
Lat pulldown
Isolateral plate loaded row
Barbell curls
Alternating DB curls

Day 3 - Shoulders/tricep
Overhead barbell press
Arnold DB press
Lateral DB raises
Front plate raises
Optional i'm feeling good option - shoulder press machine
Tricep rope pushdown
Dips

Day 4 - gently caress
Back squat (warm up here as well)
Barbell step up
Cable crunch
Straight leg vertical leg raises
DB lunge
Optional I can still feel my back option - hyperextensions
Preacher curls forever

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

I'm on my 14th cycle of 5/3/1. I started in February and have only changed accessory work up. Still many gains to be had but I really like it because I rarely feel beat up or tired.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
I really enjoy 5/3/1 until the point where squats threaten to explode my lumbar spine due to being a weak little bitch with buttwink :thumbsup:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Do you have hamstring inflexibility? I find that yoga and foam rolls help with that.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Hell yes I do, I need to roll but :effort:

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
its time. its time!!!! its bi's and back tiiiiiime

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

FogHelmut posted:

Here is my stupid plan that I made up based on factless assumptions I created

Factless assumptions are what this thread is all about. Do you feel like you're hitting tris/bis enough with this plan? I make them their own day, but I go 5 days.

SpeedyCow posted:

I'm on my 14th cycle of 5/3/1. I started in February and have only changed accessory work up. Still many gains to be had but I really like it because I rarely feel beat up or tired.

I'm starting to see the allure of that, because my setup has me exhausted all the loving time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Factless assumptions are what this thread is all about. Do you feel like you're hitting tris/bis enough with this plan? I make them their own day, but I go 5 days.

I probably never hit them at max power because I start off with heavy compound lifts and work my way down. I don't know if they're burnt out from being an accessory, but probably because I'm like "yeah, 30 lbs pushdown, hwahaahh"

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sweet bro, do quarter leg presses with 16 plates, no one else wants to lift

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
working out is great because no matter how much pain i'm in lifting, i know that the pain will be worse for everyone else who has to deal with my protien farts

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing lets loose the stinky farts like a nice deep heavy squat.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

thats cool that youre both lactose intolerant and buy lovely protein

just consume raw eggs like a man

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
I'm finally at 225 for reps on the squat. My legs are pretty much constantly sore. I'm starting to see why so many people skip legs.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Skipping is cardio

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So I can't tell if I like my new gym better or not than my old. It's more expensive by about 10 bucks but it's got a better selection of free weights. It's not 24 hours (and the weekend hours really suck, actually) but it's also got a better selection of machines and more space / less crowding during normal hours.

It does, as far as I can tell, have the same problem every other gym in the area does. I don't know if it's just that college assholes are a big part of their income but all the gyms in the area have issues in the afternoons with weights / towels being tossed around, nothing gets reracked and there's always at least one group of bros hogging a bench while doing one set every 5 minutes. Earlier this week it took me like 5 minutes to find a pair of 2.5lb plates for some curls because they kept getting hidden behind 25 and 45 plates in opposite parts of the gym.

Also feel like an rear end in a top hat because it took me a while to figure out how the angled leg press works (my former gym just had that horizontal belt one; I maxed it out almost immediately and had to switch to one-leg presses instead.)

Welp, I ended up typing way more than I thought I would so welcome to my livejournal everyone!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i see so many people doing lat pulldowns on the pulldown machine wrong

there are like a billion variants i've seen since i started at this new gym. People kind of rowing them somehow, people doing it wayyyy behind their neck while leaning forward and poo poo. Like, there are clear instructions with pictures even on the thing but you still see really unfit people sit down on it and just start flailing they limbs around

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

why would you ever use anything less than a 45 lb plate

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

Whoops, you're right, the DL is a 1x5 at work weight. I actually really like the deadlift, except for the part where it feels like my fingers are ripping out of my hand.

Stronglift bro here. I do 3*5 for the deadlift, because deadlifting is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Zzulu posted:

when I started out i followed other peoples plans and I'd recommend doing that if you're a newb. Once you learn more about the lifts/yourself and what is good and what is good for your goals you can start to make your own custom routines

Yeah.

I'm currently using a semi-custom routine which started out as 5/3/1 and still has that as its core. My situation is such that the amount of time and energy and recovery available varies unpredictably (I am in my forties, married, with small children and a full-time job -- there are entire weeks which are completely hosed up due to lack of sleep caused by sick children or whatnot, there are other weeks which are much better, etc. All in all the best I can hope for is to average out with slow and steady progress interrupted by various crap.)

What I actually do now is use the prescribed 5/3/1 lifts as a bare-minimum guide, and autoregulate extra volume/frequency/intensity on top of that, according to daily situation. The basic assumption is that I'm going to get in two lifting days most weeks; so I group the main lifts as bench/squat on one day and press/deadlift on the other; then I also do some sets of the opposite main lifts. Also balance out overhead press with pullups and bench press with some form of horizontal row; finish up with a little bit of vanity work. Use supersets a lot (when I go there are often no other people in the gym wanting to use the same equipment as me so I can usually go bench/row/squat, for example).

Typically I will front-load the week because I am usually better rested on Mondays than later; so I'll pack the minimum prescribed lifts for press and deadlifts into the same workout as the "real" main sets for bench and squat; that way even if the rest of the week ends up completely hosed I can in good conscience say I've done the required minimum and progress to the next week as planned. Then later in the week I try to do either one more long workout with main sets for press and deads and more volume work for bench and squat; or two somewhat shorter ones. As for the main lifts, sometimes I feel like going for AMRAP as the 5/3/1 program originally wants, other times I feel more like doing multiple submaximal worksets. Long as I get in 10-25 quality reps at or above prescribed weight, I'm happy enough.

• Locked thread