Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Here's something stupid to talk about instead of what we were talking about before:

I started leveling a BLM because I have a mental illness and can't stop leveling alts. Are Blizzard 2 and Freeze abilities that you'll ever want to actually use, either at some point during the leveling process or at max level, or can I safely shuffle them off to the buttons on my hotbar that are hard to reach?

Like the others said they're basically worthless, Bizzard 2 does come in handy to spam if you're doing FATEs with a fuckload of other people and mobs to tag. I don't think i've ever cast Freeze for any valid purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Freeze is for casting at your party members when someone's afk and you're bored.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Velthice posted:

this thread got really loving stupid and unfunny. post pictures of your highlanders and roes. no fleabags and leprosy people allowed

Today, I became brown.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Belzac posted:

The only funny "trolling" that has ever taken place in this game was when ilifinicus and KaneTW teamed up and figured out hunts before anyone in the world and we "stole" all the hunts for a couple days. This time was the golden age of XIV trolling. There will never be another time like it.
what about when yoshi developed diadem though??

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I haven't been able to log in for a few months. Tuition is terrible.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Velthice posted:

goons don't make jokes

Goons ARE jokes

Velthice posted:

eve goons are the worst goons who exist only to be made fun of. don't be an eve goon

Also eve goons are awful because you can't say you're a goon on other MMOs without someone flipping their poo poo for no reason other then "Well in eve goons blah blah" Even if the game in question isn't programmed to do whatever their complaint was about goons in eve.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
The word 'goon' is terrible

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Goad night sweet prince.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-2zhRV_Tb4

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Velthice posted:

this thread got really loving stupid and unfunny. post pictures of your highlanders and roes. no fleabags and leprosy people allowed

I have a distinct suspicion that someone had recently rewatched Basic Instinct when the time came to do this pose.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 10, 2015

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Velthice posted:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Velthice posted:

Hornfroe

Bird Roe (also I love the localization team for this reference)

Serious Dark Knight Roe

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Velthice posted:

I'll get a better picture of her later:

Potato Jones posted:

this thread got really loving stupid and unfunny. post pictures of your highlanders and roes talls and smalls

Shout out to my pal, Robzilla. :hfive:

e:

Daniel posted:

The word 'goon' is terrible

loving goons are the worst. :mad:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

loving goons are the worst. :mad:

:shrek: Yeah, loving goons. :shrek:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I ran into some big lag spikes while running Void Ark yesterday. Anyone else having this problem (on Excal)

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
SOMEBODY already posted my character, but i'll still contribute to my own idea and also say that I am still the prettiest and most anime

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SirPhoebos posted:

I ran into some big lag spikes while running Void Ark yesterday. Anyone else having this problem (on Excal)

You have comcast?

I've been running into issues, and tried WTfast. It seems to have mitigated the issue mostly. On 24 man runs it can still be annoying just with the sheer number of people.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I have Comcast and have had pretty bad packet loss the past couple of weeks.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i also use wtfast. i'd check your connection without it weekly/monthly, because the internet is an unpredictable eldritch place and your connection might become great and playable again

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

a kitten posted:

Like the others said they're basically worthless, Bizzard 2 does come in handy to spam if you're doing FATEs with a fuckload of other people and mobs to tag. I don't think i've ever cast Freeze for any valid purpose.

I dunno, Bliz2 is occasionally nice to use once or twice during an umbral phase if you are doing giant pulls in a dungeon.

Freeze one of the very worst skills in the game though.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Apparently the Hellsclaw hunt is busted on some servers. Not only is it spamming its knockback/stun combo on people, it's also functionally immortal because its hit points freeze around 60%, lmao.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Velthice posted:

i also use wtfast. i'd check your connection without it weekly/monthly, because the internet is an unpredictable eldritch place and your connection might become great and playable again

I have Verizon FIOS, and the last few weeks have been super spotty with lagspikes and overall terrible lag. It seems to have resolved itself, but at the time I was trying WTFast, and WTF itself told me it was actually negatively impacting performance, so who knows.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I have Verizon FIOS, and the last few weeks have been super spotty with lagspikes and overall terrible lag. It seems to have resolved itself, but at the time I was trying WTFast, and WTF itself told me it was actually negatively impacting performance, so who knows.

WTFast doesn't always get the best route. I've restarted it before in the same situation and it fixed it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

WTFast doesn't always get the best route. I've restarted it before in the same situation and it fixed it.

Did you change servers on it? I usually let it run the server ping and it always comes back with the same server being fastest (Boston NY4 I believe).

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Velthice posted:

SOMEBODY already posted my character, but i'll still contribute to my own idea and also say that I am still the prettiest and most anime

Any time I see someone who has bikini gear glamoured I assume they masturbate to their character

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ArtIsResistance posted:

Any time I see someone who has bikini gear glamoured I assume they masturbate to their character

well duh, i'm not going to pay ANOTHER subscription somewhere else just so i can spank it. it's called being economical you silly goose

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Did you change servers on it? I usually let it run the server ping and it always comes back with the same server being fastest (Boston NY4 I believe).

I always just leave it on auto.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

I've pretty often been getting lag spike issues with Comcast peaking around 8:30-10:30 pm Eastern time. Packet loss I assume, since it's more severe the more is going on around me (Void Ark and hunts can easily be a poo poo-show; dungeons are usually manageable for the most part). Generally having a look at Internet Health Report at the time results in some fairly substantial packet loss between some of the major backbones (Level 3, in particular, often seems to be involved). I doubt it's the game or even the local aspect of your ISP, but rather which of those backbone routes your ISP uses on the whole.

Hell, it even lags up some regular web browsing a bit in that time period.

I've been thinking of trying WTFast myself to try to get around the issue until the telecom companies get their poo poo in gear (so, forever onward I guess), but haven't gotten around to it just yet. Things seem to behave fine outside of those peak hours though.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Also on Comcast, and 8:30-10:30 is exactly when it's been going to poo poo for me. Coincidentally also when my group ends up raiding. Those of us on Comcast on Monday watched as savage became an unplayable slideshow pretty quickly. I've had extremely mixed results using WTFast though, with it frequently showing worse performance, though I guess I'll bring it back out to give it another shot if this persists.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Leal posted:

Goons ARE jokes

Also eve goons are awful because you can't say you're a goon on other MMOs without someone flipping their poo poo for no reason other then "Well in eve goons blah blah" Even if the game in question isn't programmed to do whatever their complaint was about goons in eve.

Pretty sure it's wow goons more so isn't it? Weren't they pretty bad at trolling people when world pvp was a thing among other stuff?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
WTFast shows a 50-60% improvement when I use it. Honestly, the weirdest issue that I have when I'm not using WTFast is I sometimes get keyboard lag, where any keyboard input stops working for a short while, but my mouse still works just fine (that means avoiding AOEs with my mouse, woo :geno:).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Holyshoot posted:

Pretty sure it's wow goons more so isn't it? Weren't they pretty bad at trolling people when world pvp was a thing among other stuff?

Nah eve goons are way more notorious. Even at its worst WoW never let you blow up things other people paid real money for leaving them permanently destroyed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm honestly impressed about how useless Freeze is.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
You guys just aren't thinking hard enough. For example, A4 - you can precast Freeze before each leg/core respawns for free(ze) DPS.

That's how you optimize.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Yep, comcast has been bad the last couple weeks during primetime. I've resorted to wtfast as well.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have Comcast and have had pretty bad packet loss the past couple of weeks.

Same, it's been poo poo in the evenings starting around 6PST until 830ish.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I now own this game + expansion (black friday deal), but I haven't made an account yet. I have a few questions. Would it be to my (and someone else's) benefit to use a buddy code first, and then enter my keys for full access after? I might as well take advantage of any free goodies, and it's always nice to help someone get whatever referral benefits. I know in some MMOs that includes massive temporary exp boosts and that sounds good.

As far as races go, are there any inherent advantages/disadvantages to consider? I know the racial stat benefits are negligible so I'm thinking about things like size making it difficult for groups to target mobs, or difficult to target you... I know the bigger you are, the slower you SEEM to move, but I think I'll be fine as long as I'm actually moving the same speed. I like the idea of a giant muscleman Roegadyn reading a book and hanging out with a fairy, or a little Lalafell with a gigantic axe, but not at the expense of quality of life.

Last, for classes, I'm thinking I want to level a Warrior and a scholar/summoner. Is there any reason to level one of those first? I assume Warrior and Scholar get groups faster, but I can solo level as a summoner and then use scholar in groups, is that correct? Is one class absolutely better for leveling? I used to prefer healing in MMOs but tanking always seemed fun and the last few (F2P) mmos I've played I've been gravitating towards guys with big loving axes. With the help of those Tanking Cheat Sheets, I think I can manage to not gently caress up and speaking from a healer's perspective, a good tank is the key to a happy home.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dromal phrenia posted:

I now own this game + expansion (black friday deal), but I haven't made an account yet. I have a few questions. Would it be to my (and someone else's) benefit to use a buddy code first, and then enter my keys for full access after? I might as well take advantage of any free goodies, and it's always nice to help someone get whatever referral benefits. I know in some MMOs that includes massive temporary exp boosts and that sounds good.

As far as races go, are there any inherent advantages/disadvantages to consider? I know the racial stat benefits are negligible so I'm thinking about things like size making it difficult for groups to target mobs, or difficult to target you... I know the bigger you are, the slower you SEEM to move, but I think I'll be fine as long as I'm actually moving the same speed. I like the idea of a giant muscleman Roegadyn reading a book and hanging out with a fairy, or a little Lalafell with a gigantic axe, but not at the expense of quality of life.

Last, for classes, I'm thinking I want to level a Warrior and a scholar/summoner. Is there any reason to level one of those first? I assume Warrior and Scholar get groups faster, but I can solo level as a summoner and then use scholar in groups, is that correct? Is one class absolutely better for leveling? I used to prefer healing in MMOs but tanking always seemed fun and the last few (F2P) mmos I've played I've been gravitating towards guys with big loving axes. With the help of those Tanking Cheat Sheets, I think I can manage to not gently caress up and speaking from a healer's perspective, a good tank is the key to a happy home.

Yes you should use a friend code

No there's no difference to races other than appearnace

You can eventually play all the classes so feel free to start as whatever, although you can't swap until like ~15, but that doesn't take long. I'd say start as warrior because its pretty easy and fun.

Yeah you can solo level through quests, levelquests or FATEs, or you can group level through dungeons, as any and all characters. It'll be a little faster to find groups as tanks, then healers, with damage being the slowest. But its not super bad either way.

:siren: IMPORTANT: Make sure you create your character on the right server, its worth getting in on a good server if you're going to be leveling on this character long-term. Most goons play on Excalibur which I think is still a locked server but if you log on in the early morning or something you can probably create a character, and then once you're in you're in for life. :siren:

In fact here's a recruitment code now: 3TUHPQ6N :) Enter that after you register and we both get free stuff.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 10, 2015

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Vil posted:

I've been thinking of trying WTFast myself to try to get around the issue

I was having severe rubberbanding/lag on comcast us east coast enough to make a party die if I was the healer. Been using WTFfast for a week now and no more problems like that.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Thanks for the fast reply, Zaphod. I know about Excalibur and creating a character at 2am or whatever the hell, that's the goal. I'd prefer to level via groups so that I don't act like a(s much of a) jackass at endgame but is that viable in FFXIV? I know people get level-synced down and such but I figured a good chunk of my time will still be solo to do the MSQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

Thanks for the fast reply, Zaphod. I know about Excalibur and creating a character at 2am or whatever the hell, that's the goal. I'd prefer to level via groups so that I don't act like a(s much of a) jackass at endgame but is that viable in FFXIV? I know people get level-synced down and such but I figured a good chunk of my time will still be solo to do the MSQ

Yeah the MSQ is actually long and detailed (good story!) and gives lots of XP, so your first job/class will be leveled up primarily just by doing the MSQ, so that does require you to mostly solo out in the game world. But also several steps along the way will require you to run a dungeon and you can't keep progressing the MSQ until you do that specific dungeon.

It won't get you quite all the way to 50 either, so you'll want to mix in some quests and FATEs or some extra dungeons as you choose.

Other classes you want to level the MSQ will be out of the way, so you'll have to pick between going hard on quests and FATEs or just grinding dungeons.

Yup, level sync means its pretty easy to find dungeons of all levels at all hours. And it means you often get grouped up with max level characters who know what they're doing.

In case you missed it in my last post, make sure to use recruitment code 3TUHPQ6N when you create your account ;)

• Locked thread