Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tamiyo was busy ignoring the entire main plot line to study the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Today I turned a judg imperial recruiter and a Dack fayden into an unlimited bayou, and went undefeated in standard.

Next up: turn my remaining judge foils, promo stamped jace, Vryn prodigy, and assorted other cards into my last rishadan port and the rest of legacy goblins, and some other stuff.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Mezzanon posted:

Today I turned a judg imperial recruiter and a Dack fayden into an unlimited bayou, and went undefeated in standard.

Next up: turn my remaining judge foils, promo stamped jace, Vryn prodigy, and assorted other cards into my last rishadan port and the rest of legacy goblins, and some other stuff.

port is reprintable.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

born on a buy you posted:

port is reprintable.

Hey it costs less than the foil stamped Jace! I think that's just great! I'll try to get some more OG duals then

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Dack Fayden is the best blue planeswalker.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

BizarroAzrael posted:

So anyone qualified for the Pro Tour want to make mad BitCoins by playing Séance?

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3w1mfz/im_hiring_a_magic_the_gathering_pro_tour/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmrNLMM_P9U&t=138s

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Jace is honestly not that bad

But yeah Venser was cool and I can't wait for zombie venser the next time we see the phyrexians

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

GeneX posted:

Jace is honestly not that bad

But yeah Venser was cool and I can't wait for zombie venser the next time we see the phyrexians

i will go so far as to say this:

Jace is (by Magic standards) a decent character at his core, and I think he'd actually make for an enjoyable secondary character if he ever manages to shrug the mantle of the Insufferably Smug Protagonist.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

port is reprintable.

Just like Force of Will.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Niton posted:

i will go so far as to say this:

Jace is (by Magic standards) a decent character at his core, and I think he'd actually make for an enjoyable secondary character if he ever manages to shrug the mantle of the Insufferably Smug Protagonist.

perhaps the mighty morphin gate watchers will teach him the true meaning of friendship

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Lottery of Babylon posted:

perhaps the mighty morphin gate watchers will teach him the true meaning of friendship

"Wait, the Black Gate Watcher isn't black? What sort of power rangers show is this?"

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

port is reprintable.

So are force and wasteland, doesn't mean they ever will.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

port is reprintable.

No it's really really not. At least not in standard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wow MTG puzzle quest is disappointingly simple and easy. Also the UI is atrocious AND slow. Serious bummer.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

Wow
disappointing
Also the UI is atrocious AND slow.
Serious bummer.

What's the context?

Everything involving WotC and computers.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

They should reprint Rishadan Port, and also Tangle Wire, Opposition, Rising Waters, and Smokestack. Reprint those cards in standard

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

They should reprint Rishadan Port, and also Tangle Wire, Opposition, Rising Waters, and Smokestack. Reprint those cards in standard

This but unironically

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

This but unironically

I am unironic, those cards all own and stax is the best deck

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would enjoy playing stacks in standard. Much different experience than these dumb play whatever big creature you want kinds of standard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

What's the context?

Everything involving WotC and computers.

So the game is sort of weird. You start with Nissa, you get enough currency to buy the other four planeswalkers. When you buy a booster you get random cards. Two forms of IAP, the more prevalent kind lets you buy 3 card boosters. PWs can only add cards that fit their color scheme. Individual PWs have deck building limitations in a weird way, like Liliana can run 3 "support" cards when she is leveled up while the other walkers can only run 2.

tl;dr huge stupid problems: your deck is composed of 10 cards, you can draw unlimited quantities of any of these 10 cards. Your opening hand can be three utility spells and you may never draw a creature the whole match. Duplicate cards appear to be useless when opening packs as you only ever need 1, which makes me getting two of the exact same rare awesome.

If the UI wasn't slow and clunky it might not be so bad but the game is super RNG and stupidly simple. AI makes matches arbitrarily, not based on good matches or the colors it needs to cast cards. Sometimes the AI won't draw a single creature for the entire match.

It's sort of a shame, Marvel Puzzle Quest is actually fun, it's the same publisher. This isn't a very good match game, magic game, or puzzle quest game. At least it's free. I literally cannot imagine spending money on this for any reason.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Some of the things it wants you to do are insane and must be broken, too. One of the fights wants you to cast 20 creatures during it. The enemy has maybe 24 life? Creatures attack every turn, most creatures can't block. Near as I can tell there is no way to cast that many creatures without killing the enemy.

This game is bizarre.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I don't understand why you'd make any Magic game that wasn't very closely tied to the TCG mechanics, because it seems like most of the selling points for MTG reside in the familiarity and appeal of those mechanics (whether the mechanics are good on an objective level is, of course, debatable). Once you move it into something that plays substantially differently, you're trying to compete against other potential fictional universes on the basis of characters and setting features, and I don't think MTG matches up very favorably.

To look at it another way, there's a big reason why fans making custom card sets based on other genres or properties (Space: The Convergence, Star Wars, etc.) is way more visibly popular than fanmade d20/FATE/whatever hacks for the Magic setting, to the extent that I don't think I've ever heard of the latter. Not to say they've never existed.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

To look at it another way, there's a big reason why fans making custom card sets based on other genres or properties (Space: The Convergence, Star Wars, etc.) is way more visibly popular than fanmade d20/FATE/whatever hacks for the Magic setting, to the extent that I don't think I've ever heard of the latter. Not to say they've never existed.

I thought it was brain damage in the same vein as people wanting to use D&D for non D&D game things.

Although abstractly magic's resource generation/spending system is pretty useful. Flavor justifications, eh v:shobon:v.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

I thought it was brain damage in the same vein as people wanting to use D&D for non D&D game things.

Although abstractly magic's resource generation/spending system is pretty useful. Flavor justifications, eh v:shobon:v.

Well Space the Convergence was already a Wizards thing, so it's not much of a stretch that people would expand on that.

But Star Wars is more of a stretch I think. StC is still a cool idea though, especially seeing the divergence that would have happened if it were real

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zoness posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. The basic mechanics of Magic, even if they don't always make for the very best game, are appealing enough. Heck, I should probably add HexTCG to that list, even though they changed some things to try and improved it (and then changed more things due to copyright). My core point is that I'm guessing that's why you see Magic's mechanics being exported other places, but don't see Magic's flavor or setting exported, at least not nearly as successfully.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

I don't understand why you'd make any Magic game that wasn't very closely tied to the TCG mechanics, because it seems like most of the selling points for MTG reside in the familiarity and appeal of those mechanics (whether the mechanics are good on an objective level is, of course, debatable). Once you move it into something that plays substantially differently, you're trying to compete against other potential fictional universes on the basis of characters and setting features, and I don't think MTG matches up very favorably.

Yeah it's weird. As you know in the other thread, but others here might not, 40k gets a huge boost of popularity every single time a non-tabletop implementation of the game is made. They all play wildly differently from the /tg version. But that's cuz it thrives on its setting. Magic essentially does the same thing as 40k, but it uses staggered implementation of pop culture instead of a continuous one. That's probably its biggest flaw there wrt IP consciousness. You could probably grow the IP to the likes of 40k if you started caring about Legacy/Vintage, where all these pop culture universes are constant, and making it the main game but WOTC clearly doesn't want to do that. Also they'd have to revisit Kamigawa and make it much more ^___^ kawaii sugoi with ninja, samurai, and tons of geisha only.

Though now I wonder how popular those funko pop bobbleheads and action figures are. If magic has any sort of IP usefulness outside of the game, those would sell. I've only ever seen them sit on a shelf for months, but that's anecdotal.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

Being poo poo is in Green's color pie, but being little shits (folding against not insurmountable odds like a 1/1) is firmly in Blue. Xenagos became a god, Both/Double Hitler Nissa was willing to doom the rest of existence to save her people/Zendikar, and Domri gives creatures haste, hexproof and double strike.

Extra: How Garruk would have tamed Lorthos.

Too bad primal groudon is way better than primal kyogre lmao.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it's weird. As you know in the other thread, but others here might not, 40k gets a huge boost of popularity every single time a non-tabletop implementation of the game is made. They all play wildly differently from the /tg version. But that's cuz it thrives on its setting. Magic essentially does the same thing as 40k, but it uses staggered implementation of pop culture instead of a continuous one. That's probably its biggest flaw there wrt IP consciousness. You could probably grow the IP to the likes of 40k if you started caring about Legacy/Vintage, where all these pop culture universes are constant, and making it the main game but WOTC clearly doesn't want to do that. Also they'd have to revisit Kamigawa and make it much more ^___^ kawaii sugoi with ninja, samurai, and tons of geisha only.

Though now I wonder how popular those funko pop bobbleheads and action figures are. If magic has any sort of IP usefulness outside of the game, those would sell. I've only ever seen them sit on a shelf for months, but that's anecdotal.

Now I'm picturing the Weatherlight Saga/Urza Block as the 30k to Newwalker Power Rangers' 40k.

I'm not sure about the bobbleheads and action figures. I think what they have going for them, if anything, is that they're a much lower barrier to entry. If you sort of like Ajani and think he's been cool on a few cards, you can buy a bobblehead of him and have it on your desk. It's probably not any dumber than whatever else you'd have on your desk in its place, and you're not really going to think about it very much because desk kitsch isn't something you think about.

Having to actively learn a new game that tries to trade on the creative aspects of the IP is not only a bigger time investment, it's also much more likely to make you think "hmm, am I actually as invested in this setting as the owners clearly hope I am?"

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

black potus posted:

MCMAGIC: are you comfortable calling FIVE (5) top 8 decks featuring Painful Truths in the next THREE (3) months, by March 8th, 2016 Anno Domini in ONE HUNDRED PLUS (this gimmick is hard, 100+) person events success in legacy for the purposes of our bet?

POLICE DETECTIVE (As an officer pulls the above post out of the river): Who do we think did this? The mob? Some serial killer?
BLACK POTUS (swooping into the scene in a batmanesque costume except instead of a bat cowl I'm wearing an Obama mask and holding an alpha black lotus like a batarang): No. It's a new super villain. He goes by the name THE MAGIC THREAD.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

Too bad primal groudon is way better than primal kyogre lmao.

Yeah, he's way better at being worse. :c00l:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 10, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

POLICE DETECTIVE (As an officer pulls the above post out of the river): Who do we think did this? The mob? Some serial killer?
BLACK POTUS (swooping into the scene in a batmanesque costume except instead of a bat cowl I'm wearing an Obama mask and holding an alpha black lotus like a batarang): No. It's a new super villain. He goes by the name THE MAGIC THREAD.

POLONIUS:

Never a card player nor poster be,
For plays oft lose both time and friend,
And posting dulls the edge of relevance.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
ALL
A heavy sight!

ANTONY
I am dying, Egypt, dying.
Give me some wine and let me speak a little.

CLEOPATRA
No, let me speak, and let me rail so high
Animar is a fair commander and
You're just a loving scrub.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
PORTER
Faith, sir, we were carousing till the second round:
and magic, sir, is a great provoker of three things.

MACDUFF
What three things does magic especially provoke?

PORTER
Marry, sir, pile-shuffling, judge calls, and rare redrafting.
Speculation, sir, it provokes and unprovokes: it provokes the
desire, but it takes away the performance. Therefore much
magic may be said to be an equivocator with speculating: it
makes him, and it mars him; it sets him on and it takes
him off; it persuades him and disheartens him; makes him
stand to and not stand to; in conclusion, equivocates him in
a sleep, and giving him the lie, leaves him.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I really enjoy his videos and it's pretty entertaining how well this one does. Slamming a t1 blood moon completely ruins so many modern decks, I could see a softlock deck like that one doing OK at a larger event purely because so few decks can handle a fast moon or bridge.

lol he just uploaded an Against the Odds modern video where the deck is entirety singleton planeswalkers

This particular Against the Odds is really fun to watch, I highly recommend checking it out. He just keeps losing spectacularly with it.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Please for the love of god let there be a Price of Progress reprint in Oath.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Ahahahahaha, this is adorable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

black potus posted:

MCMAGIC: are you comfortable calling FIVE (5) top 8 decks featuring Painful Truths in the next THREE (3) months, by March 8th, 2016 Anno Domini in ONE HUNDRED PLUS (this gimmick is hard, 100+) person events success in legacy for the purposes of our bet?

Yeah that is reasonable. And the loser plays the deck of the winner's choice in a big legacy event?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Modern Burn with Price of Progress :tem:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i dunno if we settled on me having to type properly forever or play painful truths in a big event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

bhsman posted:

Modern Burn with Price of Progress :tem:

I suppose that would be one way to finally cement Burn as the unquestionably best deck in Modern

• Locked thread