Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
I'm kinda glad all the helper tools are still broken. It's finals week next week and I'd be absolutely doomed if I started a fortress now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Lol, this seems horribly doomed, but i'm trying to participate at least: http://www.twitch.tv/twitch_plays_dwarf_fort

Guy just has the basic ASCI graphics also so i'm finding it hard to understand what i'm looking at half the time.

edit: spent like 5 minutes slowly going through the trader menu before i got bored

Somebody once described the state of being able to see the vanilla graphics and have them actually look like what they are depicting as like Neo from the matrix.

"Those green periods are waving windswept grass blades. That L is a bleating llama; ready for shearing. That g is an OH-MY-GOD.... It's a Grouse. Whew. No Goblins."

But the key is that to really make the ascii graphics worthwhile; you need to be able to hit that k key and actually look at some of the things to be able to get good information. This is problematic while watching somebody else stream.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

reignofevil posted:

Somebody once described the state of being able to see the vanilla graphics and have them actually look like what they are depicting as like Neo from the matrix.

"Those green periods are waving windswept grass blades. That L is a bleating llama; ready for shearing. That g is an OH-MY-GOD.... It's a Grouse. Whew. No Goblins."

But the key is that to really make the ascii graphics worthwhile; you need to be able to hit that k key and actually look at some of the things to be able to get good information. This is problematic while watching somebody else stream.

Yeah and when every dwarf looks alike, and everything overlaps... gah. I feel bad enough watching something like Blood Bowl and not being able to mouse over the players.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RedTonic posted:

That was what I was planning -- magma-filled minecarts running across multiple z-levels just sounds like a fantastic way to burn down the whole fort. But I've already started setting up the mining designations for the workshops and the pumpstack. What glorious madness awaits?

Oh also I dunno if you know this but if you're making a track that goes up a 100 Z levels or whatever then use impulse ramps instead of powered rollers. It's explained on the wiki page but basically you're abusing a physics glitch to gain momentum for free, thus allowing the cart to go up without you needing to make a massive power plant to power tons of rollers (I did that once it sucked).

Regarding the pumpstack just make sure everything in the pumps is magma safe and make sure you have a way to reliably shut it off. Any mechanisms inside should be magma proof too; I definitely melted a gear once and then couldn't shut a contraption off and there was magma everywhere. If you don't want to fiddle with making sure the mechanic shop grabs the right rock you can forge mechanisms out of metal, too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Spanish Matlock posted:

Masterwork has a bunch of poo poo you can squeeze goo out of.

i played with that some and i only remember finding 'bane spiders' which i could get venom from, but i don't remember there actually being a use for the venom. i was thinking something along the lines of the minecraft bee mod (horrid thought, i know) where the hives can produce useful things. like if the hive stuff isn't hardcoded, i could make a variety of bee that lives in sandy areas and produces a honeycomb that can be processed into honey and a handful of random varieties of glass, skipping the need to actually produce it yourself.

probably sounds banal as hell, but being able to get free resources just by investing some time would be a neat addition.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

reignofevil posted:

Cypher, actually. I love how apt that quote is to DF.

The Matrix posted:

Neo: Do you always look at it encoded?

Cypher: Well you have to. The image translators work for the construct program. But there’s way too much information to decode the Matrix. You get used to it. I…I don’t even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, red-head.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even see the code... all I see is woodcutter, farmer, mechanic...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i played with that some and i only remember finding 'bane spiders' which i could get venom from, but i don't remember there actually being a use for the venom. i was thinking something along the lines of the minecraft bee mod (horrid thought, i know) where the hives can produce useful things. like if the hive stuff isn't hardcoded, i could make a variety of bee that lives in sandy areas and produces a honeycomb that can be processed into honey and a handful of random varieties of glass, skipping the need to actually produce it yourself.

probably sounds banal as hell, but being able to get free resources just by investing some time would be a neat addition.

Just looking at the raws real quick, the product of hives isn't hardcoded and can be changed to be pretty much any item. Of course setting up the raws to produce the desired item, and then testing the game to actually make sure it works properly, is a pain in the rear end so good luck with that.

Also I'm surprised Toady didn't add killer bees to the game. Beekeeping with killer bees sounds like something dwarves would gladly do.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Moridin920 posted:

I don't even see the code... all I see is blood, vomit, reanimated corpses...

Fixing this for you.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Also I'm surprised Toady didn't add killer bees to the game. Beekeeping with killer bees sounds like something dwarves would gladly do.

People keep "killer" bees. They're more aggressive than other honeybees, so they resist parasites, predators, and other robbing insects better. (I love beeth.)

I want to keep bumblebees in DF. :3:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RedTonic posted:

People keep "killer" bees. They're more aggressive than other honeybees, so they resist parasites, predators, and other robbing insects better. (I love beeth.)

I want to keep bumblebees in DF. :3:

Yeah but do they tend to their hives wearing nothing but a cloth shirt? You have to keep in mind the dwarven disregard for safety here.

EDIT: Better yet, giant bees you can milk for honey somehow :shepface:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 10, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but do they tend to their hives wearing nothing but a cloth shirt? You have to keep in mind the dwarven disregard for safety here.

technically most beekeepers mostly just wear a veil and probably a long-sleeved shirt. african bees are just a little bit more prone to anger than, say, italian or russian varieties, but given that there's beekeepers who have gone their entire career while only being stung maybe once or twice if at all i can only assume they might be able to handle killer bees. people get so freaked out by them because they act like idiots around the bees which pisses them off.

then again, once dwarves and alchohol are involved everything goes out the window.

e: but yeah, if making an expanded hivekeeping mod i'd be worried that the details of where one can put a hive or find wild hives might be hardcoded. the produced materials are less of a worry since i know those can be messed with.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Better yet, giant bees you can milk for honey somehow :shepface:

Come to think of it, couldn't we just mod a cow to produce honey instead of milk?

That honestly sounds like a more likely task for Dwarven Science than developing a bee-net hat.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

giant cave bees that build large hives in the caverns and collect spores and/or general fungus stuff to make honey.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
bee people that have personality, families, and hopes and dreams, and then sting you and die

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Bee Movie. All your dwarves gather around the ol' wall carvings to watch everyone's favorite not-so-animated classic :iit: :jerry:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Plenty of beekeepers don't even wear veils or gloves, so a nude beekeeper isn't out of the question!

I've been beekeeping for two years and ain't been stung yet, but I wear the full regalia for safety and confidence.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

giant cave bees that build large hives in the caverns and collect spores and/or general fungus stuff to make honey.

Sounds like ant people tbh

Tiler Kiwi posted:

bee people that have personality, families, and hopes and dreams, and then sting you and die

Gina didn't show up for fanning duty Tuesday because her sister stung a dwarf and died. Now I have to pull a double shift to make sure we meet the quota before the end of the nectar flow. The honey industry sure is a bithc.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

StrangeAeon posted:

Come to think of it, couldn't we just mod a cow to produce honey instead of milk?

Add a horrifying giant bombardier beetle that shoots sticky honey on its victims to entrap them before killing them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RedTonic posted:

Plenty of beekeepers don't even wear veils or gloves, so a nude beekeeper isn't out of the question!

I've been beekeeping for two years and ain't been stung yet, but I wear the full regalia for safety and confidence.

Sounds like ant people tbh

i'm getting into beekeeping and hopefully my attempts this upcoming year don't get messed up by dealing with a bad company like it did before, so i'm kinda halfway disappointed as to how limited the beekeeping in DF is.

and yeah, it'd probably fit ants more, but bees are cuter which is more than enough reason to pick them!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Decrepus posted:

Add a horrifying giant bombardier beetle that shoots sticky honey on its victims to entrap them before killing them.

And it has 8 legs and a strong venom and oh wait we have that already :haw:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think I've ever actually seen a giant cave spider in fortress mode :(

EDIT: On the subject of weird animal behavior, anyone know if a creature with [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS] can reproduce normally? Like as a purely hypothetical example, lets say I had a goose lay golden eggs. Would they also be able to lay normal eggs if I included the tags for them? What if I didn't include the tags for any eggs other than the unusual one, would they breed via spores like other creatures?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 10, 2015

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think I've ever actually seen a giant cave spider in fortress mode :(

EDIT: On the subject of weird animal behavior, anyone know if a creature with [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS] can reproduce normally? Like as a purely hypothetical example, lets say I had a goose lay golden eggs. Would they also be able to lay normal eggs if I included the tags for them? What if I didn't include the tags for any eggs other than the unusual one, would they breed via spores like other creatures?

They are definitely down there but they do seem a bit rare considering that I was expecting them to be lurking behind every corner not occasional problems that I mostly watch battle other wild animals when they are even around.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I think my dwarves killed all the GCS in our underground. I'm a bit sad about it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I caught one once, trained it and chained it in a room, I wanted it to spin webs, it wouldn't fire through fortifications and then got the poo poo torn out of it by a crundle. :(

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
I had a GCS in my current fort and was all excited to try and catch it, but then it killed by a huge, three-eyed, vampire hornbill with a freaky shell.

So it goes.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I had one jump a weaver down collecting webs. The unarmed and untrained weaver somehow crippled several of its legs by punching and successfully escaped, but the first member of my actual military to show up got immediately bitten in the face and poisoned to death.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I mean given the scale it would surely be more like impaling you through the chest with their abdomen-horn and then disemboweling themselves in the process.

Or, er, making their own guts go sailing off in an arc, I guess.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 11, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
*sound of animals fighting*

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

So Masterwork is two versions and like six months behind now.

Is it ever going to be updated?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Diogines posted:

last i heard an update was planned + in the works right now but that was for the big 2014 update w/ 3d trees, so uh. yeah. the pack is so giant and toady took so long between updates for a bit there that they built up a lot of poo poo in the meanwhile.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this game is the best death-metal violence simulator ever made

the king had been hiding in his empty "throne room" with a single wooden chair, not noticing the death of the lower class outside as he paced around demanding more accoutrements

basically it was a 2000s era Disturbed music video

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Tinkering around with the idea of milkable bees for honey. Unfortunately, with the way the basic raws are set up I don't think its possible without adding new interactions. I can milk a bee for honey just fine, but it gets placed in a bucket. And the process to make mead doesn't accept honey in a bucket. Not sure how to fix that without either modifying the original interaction or adding a completely new one.

EDIT: Though I guess I could just cut out the brewery step and have milking the bee produce the mead right away. I think that would work.

While doing this I learned two things;

-bumblebees don't have hair, and it doesn't look like any insect does for that matter
-bees don't have stingers :psyduck:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 11, 2015

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Tinkering around with the idea of milkable bees for honey. Unfortunately, with the way the basic raws are set up I don't think its possible without adding new interactions. I can milk a bee for honey just fine, but it gets placed in a bucket. And the process to make mead doesn't accept honey in a bucket. Not sure how to fix that without either modifying the original interaction or adding a completely new one.

EDIT: Though I guess I could just cut out the brewery step and have milking the bee produce the mead right away. I think that would work.

While doing this I learned two things;

-bumblebees don't have hair, and it doesn't look like any insect does for that matter

Clearly you have no self control Wizard. Your last meddling with the laws of the universe, if I recall correctly, was an attempt to make chickens lay bees
instead of eggs. Take your mad apiarist studies and begone!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Diogines posted:

Meph is bicycling around the world right now and currently awaiting execution by the Revolutionary Guard.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Average Bear posted:

Meph is bicycling around the world right now and currently awaiting execution by the Revolutionary Guard.

I thought he got back?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Average Bear posted:

currently awaiting execution by the Revolutionary Guard.

you can't just say this and not elaborate

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Internet Kraken posted:

For those who aren't initiated into the arcana of Dwarf Fortress: bees bite people. Their bite attack verb is cosmetically overwritten with the word "stung" (Urist has been *stung* by a honeybee!). The bite attack injects venom into the target. Male bees cannot bite. Honeybees automatically die after biting; bumblebees survive.

Internet Kraken is complaining that Toady made a quick-and-dirty edit which achieves the desired gameplay effect. Instead of - you know - writing up a modified body template which includes ovipositors, creating a new attack subroutine which severs part of the attacking organism's body and implants it into the target, extending the raw-parser to recognize definitions of various types of self-mutilating attacks (porcupine quills? urticating hairs? parasitoid wasp ova?), and ensuring that an embedded bodypart can continue to damage, irritate, or envenom the target even if the attacker dies during the attack action.

Internet Kraken has pemanently forfeited the right to complain about the DF release schedule.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Or he could just add the stinger body part that already exists. Of course it doesn't matter since the actual body parts of vermin do not ever come up ingame. I was just surprised that for all the minute and pointless details included in the game, bees don't actually have stingers.

No need to go crazy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That seems like something toady will implement soon anyway.

Quills, fangs, stingers etc will have a % chance to embed in target. Some will just be 100%
They'll have a physics constant to figure out if they break off. A giant spiders fang will be 10000 while a bee's rear end will be 1.
Once broken off they'll be treated like a weapon embedded in a wound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Internet Kraken posted:

Or he could just add the stinger body part that already exists. Of course it doesn't matter since the actual body parts of vermin do not ever come up ingame. I was just surprised that for all the minute and pointless details included in the game, bees don't actually have stingers.

No need to go crazy.

Heck there are a lot of things with stingers.
Say you got attacked by a Giant Scorpion or something, chop off its stinger then no more deadly venom. That's reason enough to have an actual body part for it if you ask me.