Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
On the topic of horrible surgical procedures, this week's Sawbones is about the treatment of gunshot wounds.

http://www.maximumfun.org/sawbones/sawbones-gunshot-wounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

why would it be retarded to carry some pikes with your dragoons?

You'd need 'lots of pikes' in order to be effective whereas cavalry units tend to be relatively quite small. Having half a dozen isn't going to do you much good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tomn posted:

So what skills exactly go into being a good horseman? I assume there's more to it than just sitting on the horse and saying "Yah!", but what exactly distinguishes a bad horseman from a good horseman?

Depending on the period there might be an emphasis on the role of the cavalryman as reconnaissance first - in the WWI British Army it was expected that all cavalrymen would have a knee mounted sketch pad and would be able to draw a sketch of the enemy disposition in short order. This, and the whole 'controlling a wild beast' aspect of horsemanship is one of the reasons the British scouted the ranks of the cavalry for the first fighter pilots.

Generally, the later the period the more emphasis there is on cavalry as recon units compared to a shock combat arm. Also don't forget that falling off a horse can loving kill you, so just being able to hang on in a combat situation is a pretty big deal.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

I've got a big long look at the preparations for evacuating Gallipoli, and then this is the day of the fraternisation that prompted Louis Barthas to wish for a memorial at Neuville. By the way, I've been able to see a bit of the original French, and, well.

quote:

Who knows – maybe one day in this corner of Artois they will raise a monument to commemorate this spirit of fraternity among men who shared a horror of war and who were forced to kill each other against their wills.

quote:

Qui sait! Peut-être un jour sur ce coin de l’Artois on élèvera un monument pour commémorer cet élan de fraternité entre des hommes qui avaient l’horreur de la guerre et qu’on obligeait à s’entretuer malgré leur volonté.

It cannot be a coincidence that, with all the words in French and Occitan at his disposal, he chose to call it "élan" de fraternite, surely?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

It cannot be a coincidence that, with all the words in French and Occitan at his disposal, he chose to call it "élan" de fraternite, surely?
and not "esprit," "sentiment," "sensation"? probably not. "homme" is also probably a thing; that's the "man" of "rights of man"

also, depending on the cav, you should probably be energetic and self-directed. Like Imperial "Croats" are there to make life miserable for the enemy outside of combat, and there's more to that than just going where you're told and doing what you're told.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Riding a horse is fairly difficult in general.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

Alas, poor private Bullet.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He was volatile and showed no respect to rank, but he was a damned formidable opponent if he was being sent against you. In many ways, he's the perfect ANZAC.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

You'd need 'lots of pikes' in order to be effective whereas cavalry units tend to be relatively quite small. Having half a dozen isn't going to do you much good.

I wasn't talking about a half a dozen. Eg. in Carolean infantry units only 1/3 of the soldiers carried pikes.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

I wasn't talking about a half a dozen. Eg. in Carolean infantry units only 1/3 of the soldiers carried pikes.
that's the standard throughout the century; fewer if you've got halberd dudes

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hegel, you have talked about how pikes were seen as super important to a lot of these guys, is it possible it was some kind of symbolic thing to have a pikeman riding along with the dragoons or something?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Quick googling tells that pike-dragoons were used until the early 17th century, but even then they were quite rare, and dragoons preferred riding away if they were threatened by a cavalry charge on open ground.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

Quick googling tells that pike-dragoons were used until the early 17th century, but even then they were quite rare, and dragoons preferred riding away if they were threatened by a cavalry charge on open ground.
see, that makes sense, both that they would be really rare and that people would eventually just say fuckit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
True dragoons were mostly useful as anti-partisan troops by the Napoleonic era. Not sure about earlier.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

four or five to one.
scratch that, apparently the ratio varied, not to mention that wine was often strong and sweet so it would keep better. so pick a high alcoholic Hispanic wine and put however much water in it you want.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

my dad posted:

Though a well placed ditch now does a much better job than before. :v: The problem being, you can't dig ditches when you're on the offensive.

They just steer around ditches. Some dude in the middle east thread has a cousin in the peshmerga or something like that, he says the killdozers are giving them all kinds of headaches :(

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

True dragoons were mostly useful as anti-partisan troops by the Napoleonic era. Not sure about earlier.

Accoriding to a book I'm reading right now, British Dragoons were basically cavalry by the Nine Years War, apparently "borrowing" pistols from the cavalry when they went out scouting. So I'm guessing the dragoons transitioning in most nations happened between the 1650s and 1690s.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tias posted:

They just steer around ditches. Some dude in the middle east thread has a cousin in the peshmerga or something like that, he says the killdozers are giving them all kinds of headaches :(

My understanding is it's just tower defense. The ditches and barriers are just to stall for time while the snipers, RPGs, grenade launchers, and ATGMs take aim. I think the US just had enough barriers and anti-vehicle firepower to blow up most VBIEDs that came at them. But it looks like rebel and SAA checkpoints can only hold out if there's a crack sniper, RPG user, or ATGM user, because it takes far too long to stop a concrete-covered bulldozer with poorly aimed small arms fire.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
As much as this thread loves its alt-history discussions I'm surprised we haven't mentioned "The Man in the High Castle" got made into a series by Amazon.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bewbies posted:

As much as this thread loves its alt-history discussions I'm surprised we haven't mentioned "The Man in the High Castle" got made into a series by Amazon.

It doesn't really get into a lot of military stuff.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I think it was briefly mentioned a few months ago closer to when the series was announced, mostly with eye rolling about the absurdity of the premise.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

The book was really boring. Is the show good?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

scratch that, apparently the ratio varied, not to mention that wine was often strong and sweet so it would keep better. so pick a high alcoholic Hispanic wine and put however much water in it you want.

Water down a decent Rioja? :aaa:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

:canada: (How'd that happen?)

Anyway, when Rome controlled the whole Mediterranean, did it maintain much of a fighting navy or was transportation the only concern?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

The book was really boring. Is the show good?

I liked both the book and the show, personally.

That map doesn't seem to apply in one respect though - the show makes it sound like east coast America is literally part of Germany, where the German SS seems has direct jurisdiction (unlike in real life, where only bits of Europe that might actually be counted as largely populated by German speakers if you squinted at them in a good light were directly annexed to Germany and everywhere else was client states and the Nazis went through cooperative local police).

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Arbite posted:

Anyway, when Rome controlled the whole Mediterranean, did it maintain much of a fighting navy or was transportation the only concern?

I think that this is a more correct map wrt. the book:

And after Rome had beaten its Mediterranean enemies, it stopped spending money on a massive fighting navy. The Wikipedia article is quite good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_navy

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 10, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arbite posted:

That is my question as well

e: drained the Mediterranean and turned it into farmland?! Haha, boy, and you think the former USSR messed up the environment...

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 10, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Arbite posted:

Germany already owns a vast frozen wasteland in in the the bits of Russia they annexed. :fsmug:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

MikeCrotch posted:

By the way, Mike Duncan has just started the Haitian revolution on revolutions podcast after finished the French revolution. Check that poo poo out

I want to like Revolutions. I'm about 10 episodes in now but he just spends so much time giving you the minutia of which army marched where and when. Maybe it would be more interesting with a map but in podcast form it gets really boring. The political parts are pretty good though, just too little and too spread out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nebakenezzer posted:

That is my question as well

e: drained the Mediterranean and turned it into farmland?! Haha, boy, and you think the former USSR messed up the environment...

Now, I'm no farmer, but wouldn't that be a massive headache to farm? I remember reading how the Belgians turbo-hosed their agriculture when they flooded their lowlands in WW1 to slow the Germans. Apparently deluging your dirt with salt water isn't a good thing when it comes to growing crops there later. And that was only a bit of land in a country the size of Belgium. Wouldn't getting all the salt out of a drained Med be a huge deal?

Also, is the sort of silt on the bottom of your average large body of water really suitable farmland?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now, I'm no farmer, but wouldn't that be a massive headache to farm? I remember reading how the Belgians turbo-hosed their agriculture when they flooded their lowlands in WW1 to slow the Germans. Apparently deluging your dirt with salt water isn't a good thing when it comes to growing crops there later. And that was only a bit of land in a country the size of Belgium. Wouldn't getting all the salt out of a drained Med be a huge deal?

Also, is the sort of silt on the bottom of your average large body of water really suitable farmland?

it wouldnt work, and the book wasn't written by a scientist

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
if you're arguing about feasibility you already don't "get" philip k dick

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I want to like Revolutions. I'm about 10 episodes in now but he just spends so much time giving you the minutia of which army marched where and when. Maybe it would be more interesting with a map but in podcast form it gets really boring. The political parts are pretty good though, just too little and too spread out.

Are you listening from the start i.e. the English Civil War bit? Skip ahead to the French revolution, that is much more based on personalities and politics than the ECW.

I don't know what the American Revolution one is like since I haven't listened to it, that period of history doesn't interest me much.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

Yup. PKD was all about allegory and poo poo, actual science had very little to do with any of his stuff. If you want the same kind of thing but with more sci in your fi, you go to Heinlein.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Yup. PKD was all about allegory and poo poo, actual science had very little to do with any of his stuff. If you want the same kind of thing but with more sci in your fi, you go to Heinlein.

lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

As I understand it, the correct way to interpret his work is to take a long drag on an imaginary joint and say "so what it, like," and then state the premise of the book.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
not alfred bester from the tv show, alfred bester from the old rear end books

Arquinsiel posted:

As I understand it, the correct way to interpret his work is to take a long drag on an imaginary joint and say "so what it, like," and then state the premise of the book.
also everything's about the holocaust

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hogge Wild posted:

it wouldnt work, and the book wasn't written by a scientist
The idea, as crazy as it was, was actually promoted by a German architect.

Atlantropa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwxPvvcHIpc

It's scary to think that in some alternate universe they really did this.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 11, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Man in the High Castle isn't really a realistic alternate history at all, but I still like its portrayal for how it captures the mad ambition of the Nazis, in a way that stuff like Fatherland doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hi, I'm an oceanographer. :science:

The Mediterranean is a really salty and warm body of water as they go, and has very restricted exchange through the Straits of Gibraltar which has a shallow sill. Remember that the last ~2.5ma have been regular glacial/interglacial cycles and guess what happens during a glacial when the sea level drops, or due to tectonics Gibraltar clogs up? Most/all of the Med evaporates, this has happened several times and there are fucknormous deposits of evaporite salt minerals on the bottom of the Med already.

In terms of large scale geo-engineering projects it's pretty feasible to evaporate the Med, but you would indeed have extreme problems with salt. You'd be creating huge salt flats which will blow dust everywhere and poison existing farmland more than it creates good fertile new land.

As far as I know the sediments on the bottom of the Med would not be terribly fertile. You have a lot of lithogenic (rock erosion) sediments from the large mountain ranges that drain into it, but there aren't many major river delta systems that would feed organic material. Like, the Gulf of Mexico, Ganges Delta, or Benguela Upwelling all are getting loaded with tasty organics from their respective river systems, but you don't have much like that in the Med other than the Nile Delta.

So yeah it's a really dumb and implausible scenario.

Edit: the Med is close to 4% salt by mass.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 11, 2015

• Locked thread